why many muslim men dont support their women?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

i have seen many cases where women wants to stay at home but their father/husband forces them to work outside even though they are financially good enough.

why? has not Allah made 'us' men to care for our women relatives?

a muslim is rewarded even for a morsel he puts in his wife's mouth.

and when cases of affair/zina takes place due to not wearing proper dresses/mixing with men @ working places, the total blame is on women.

these things truly makes me so upset.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Salam alaikum Brother, I like the way you think. You're absolutely right; however, unfortunately this is a very common case these days. It's my personal opinion that these are people who are basically imitating the West or at least borrowing from them the idea that a woman's rights include taking on the equal burden of supporting her family as is the male's. In Islam, the female's main role regarding the family system is to MAINTAIN it and this is usually best done from within the family. The male's main role has been to support his family financially in this case. However, the individuals you speak of are not following the Islamically correct view on this and are instead taking as role models the idea of the West instead. This is usually done in an attempt to pass oneself off as more educated or more "modernized". However, they do not realize that they're acting like total fools and are replacing the rules of Islam with the rules of the West, thinking they're looking like the more "mentally advanced" while in actuality they're behaving completely backwards.

Musulmanin

:salam2:

Maybe some women want to just sit home and do nothing and not to fulfill their obligation of being good wives, mothers, and look after the house. They watch TV, have idle talks on the phone for hours, and don't cook and want to go out to eat. In that case, Then why should not they work, since they are not doing their part anyways?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

Maybe some women want to just sit home and do nothing and not to fulfill their obligation of being good wives, mothers, and look after the house. They watch TV, have idle talks on the phone for hours, and don't cook and want to go out to eat. In that case, Then why should not they work, since they are not doing their part anyways?

but the solutions lies in teaching them about Allah, Hereafter and Islamic morals and not just throwing them into male-dominated workplaces. working together is risky for both the genders.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

The main factor is the parents.. when a boy finds his father to be unsupportive to his wife (the mother) in house work, there's a big chance that this boy will turn out to be just like his father.

Now about wives working outside the house.. i think it could be a necessity for some families where a mans income alone isnt sufficient. And no man can force his wife to work outside the house. unless that women is over demanding then she has to help, or just be satisfied with what her husband can give her.

Musulmanin

but the solutions lies in teaching them about Allah, Hereafter and Islamic morals and not just throwing them into male-dominated workplaces. working together is risky for both the genders.

You can teach day and night, but if another person is not willing to obey Allah (swt) why do you have higher expectation for men of working hard to support someone not willing to do her part?

and I think you should choose proper words instead of "throwing."

Women are allowed to work and encouraging a nothing-doing,wasting time and money wife to work and maybe she will see that money doesn't just fall from the sky may make her think a little bit and respect other's hard work.

xenocalamus

ahmed_indian,

I could not agree more. Everywhere we see the corrupting western influence of encouraging women to seek higher education we see women understanding less and less of Allah. We cannot avoid the truth that encouraging women to go to university results in women insisting on working in male-dominated workplaces. It is no accident that observance of islam is lowest in the countries with the highest percentages of university-educated women.

Mujahideena

Wa Alaykom Assalam Wa RahmatuAllah

Good thread brother. JazakAllahu khayran for starting it.

brother (?) Musulmanin, women also have the right to stay at home and look after the family. Not all women are like you described. And if they want to have a day-off once in a month, then can you blame them? I'd like to see you doing all the work women do at home. See, women do not have breaks during the day. And when the husband comes back from the work, exhausted, the wife usually continues doing her works, EXHAUSTED.

I'm not saying all women take care of their families as they should. But you should not concentrate on the women who are not doing their work properly. Have you thanked your mother for what she has done for you when you were a baby? Even if she lifted one finger to help you in something it's more than you deserve. Think about it, and start respecting the women who sacrifice their whole lives because of their children and husband.

And yes, by teaching you can make a difference. I used to be a western woman. Totally western woman. But when I was taught about Islam, I started caring about my family and my husband much more. And I also got the will to do anything I can for them. Only to make them happy and healthy. To be honest, if I would meet myself-5-years-ago now. I would dislike her. I wouldn't get along with her.

You cannot be that blind that you automaticly say that if a person is doing a mistake she/he cannot fix it. And if someone really is not willing to obey Allah swt, then why wont we make dua for her/him? Since it is the strongest weapon of the believer.

Wasalaam,
Mujahida

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
ahmed_indian,

I could not agree more. Everywhere we see the corrupting western influence of encouraging women to seek higher education we see women understanding less and less of Allah. We cannot avoid the truth that encouraging women to go to university results in women insisting on working in male-dominated workplaces. It is no accident that observance of islam is lowest in the countries with the highest percentages of university-educated women.

Assalamu Allaicum

It is our duty to educate ourselves dear brother and it is our duty to encourage not only ourselves but others too to seek everything what is related to gaining knowledge. It is also importante to gain not only secular but also Islamic knowlege too becouse these to are inseparablely conected. West and its influence does not have anything with our wish to educate ourselves, rather it is our need to complete and fulfill our existence.

Those who are attending Universities only becouse of diploma they did not feel the real magic of studing and learning. But I am sure that moment of graduating is also one of the most beautiful and I can not waith when mine InshAllah will come. We study our whole life only that we do not get so many diplomas. It is great to study from those who have knowledge and MasHallah for all those who are passing their knowledge on us.

And now regarding the subject of the thread"why women decide to work", it is important to understande that there is no some general "becouse" as many different circumstances are leading to this.

There are many women who decide to work becouse they want to work even if they do not have need for it and these women should be respected just like their decision AllhAmdullilah.
There are women who decide to work becouse they need to work and there are those who decide to stay at home it does not metter do they need to work or not. World is made of differences but codex of behaviour of Muslim man and Muslim woman should stay the same inside and outside the home.
As long as it is like that there should not be any fear of some kind of "affairs/zina" issues if women decides to work.

Our way of life is established in Holy Quran and Sunnah of our Prohet Mohamed s.a.w.s. and those who want to change it wil always find way for that. Those who want to foolow it will find thier purpose of life on this and other world.

You can find many examples where Muslim women are working Allhamdullilah so it is not about how this or that afects on us, it is about "who we are".

May Allah guide us all to the right path. Ameen

:wasalam:

safiya58

I never heared about something like that... why should the husband force his wife to work when they have no financial problems...?

but I can understand when he wants his wife to support him financially and go to work! nowadays it is not easy for a single person to cover the requirements of his wife, his kids, and maybe he also have to take care for his parents... and then he also have to pay the rent... and so on...

why many ppl think a women who is working will definitly go astray...? our men need to put more trust in us! just remeber our beloved mother Ckadija (raa) she was a successfull business woman, wasn´t she? and she was known by the quraish for her dignity.

I can not believe that some regard education of a women as a dangeour to Islam! Is there any evidence for it? if you show some muslim countries as example and maintain the Islam is weak bec there are many women with university degree, then I can also show an example of some other countries where Islam is weak and say it is bec there are many women who are uneducated!

I wonder if they are awara of all the ahadith encouraging us to seek knowledge: http://www.geocities.com/islamicwayz/20_of__40_hadith_on_the_superior.htm.. or are all this ahadtith valid for men only?

everything in this world ( from psychology to astronomy, from medicine to physics.. etc) is subjected to the laws of Allah... that´s why I regard this kind of ilm, if it is learned with the right intention, also as islamic Ilm (knowledge) like Ilm of ahadith for example! maybe you know the saying: if you educate a men you educate one person, if you educate a woman you educate a society! and it is exactly like that, cuz she will educate the children!

I live in a western country and when ppl see a woman in hijab they usually think she is a cleaner...! cuz very often it is like that!

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

I never heared about something like that... why should the husband force his wife to work when they have no financial problems...?:wasalam:

sister, u might not have come across those ppl but they are present. maybe because they dont want to share their wealth or maybe to tell others that they are 'liberal' and 'forward looking'.

actually, i was not debating about women education and job; i was only taking the issue of pushing them to do job against their wish.

there are cases where parents do not let their daughter get married at 18 or 20 yrs of age. they force her to build career first and then she can marry when 30-35 yrs old.

i mean this is unfair. its bad for both..men and women.

Musulmanin

brother (?) Musulmanin, women also have the right to stay at home and look after the family. Not all women are like you described. And if they want to have a day-off once in a month, then can you blame them? I'd like to see you doing all the work women do at home. See, women do not have breaks during the day. And when the husband comes back from the work, exhausted, the wife usually continues doing her works, EXHAUSTED.

I'm not saying all women take care of their families as they should. But you should not concentrate on the women who are not doing their work properly. Have you thanked your mother for what she has done for you when you were a baby? Even if she lifted one finger to help you in something it's more than you deserve. Think about it, and start respecting the women who sacrifice their whole lives because of their children and husband.

And yes, by teaching you can make a difference. I used to be a western woman. Totally western woman. But when I was taught about Islam, I started caring about my family and my husband much more. And I also got the will to do anything I can for them. Only to make them happy and healthy. To be honest, if I would meet myself-5-years-ago now. I would dislike her. I wouldn't get along with her.

You cannot be that blind that you automaticly say that if a person is doing a mistake she/he cannot fix it. And if someone really is not willing to obey Allah swt, then why wont we make dua for her/him? Since it is the strongest weapon of the believer.

Wasalaam,
Mujahida

dear sister, in the first post I said "In that case", and I was not talking Allah (swt) obeying women. I was talking about women who do not obey Allah (swt) but expect men to work for them.

I think people are misinterpreting my posts.

Also, we should not concentrate on those men ( which is minority, I never even heard of men forcing their wives to work) which are not doing their part properly.

Some women complain when are asked to stay home, then they complain when they are asked to work.

sister mujahia, I'm not talking about those muslim women who do their part and want to stay home to raise children and be good mothers and wives.

I'm talking about those women who embraced western life-style of individualism and choose not to be family oriented, but still want Muslim standard of someone providing them with means for their not-so family ( sometimes not even Islamic) oriented behavior.

Why are then men accused of something, when they ask these women to go to work?

xenocalamus

My sister Safiya58,

You asked, "I can not believe that some regard education of a women as a dangeour to Islam! Is there any evidence for it?"

Yes there is considerable evidence. But remember, the evidence is statistical, there are certainly many individual counter-examples. I researched the top and bottom 15 or so countries in terms of female literacy rate, and then looked at the percentage of muslims in those countries (see table below). You will find an extraordinarily strong correlation between high female literacy and low muslim percentage. As well as an extremely strong correlation between low female literacy and high muslim percentage. And you will also notice that in most of the latter countries, the male literacy rate is often more than double the female literacy rate. This is not coincidence!! If we allow our women to be educated it will be the end of Islam. Not today, not tomorrow, but by the end of this century for sure.

% Muslim Male Literacy Rate Female Literacy Rate
Finland 0.2% 100% 100%
Norway 1.0% 100% 100%
Georgia 11.0% 100% 100%
Latvia 0.4% 99.80% 99.80%
Estonia 0.7% 99.80% 99.80%
Barbados 0.0% 99.70% 99.70%
Poland 2.0% 99.80% 99.70%
Lithuania 0.1% 99.70% 99.60%
Slovakia 0.2% 99.70% 99.60%
Ukraine 0.5% 99.80% 99.60%
Slovenia 1.6% 99.70% 99.60%
Russia 10.2% 99.70% 99.50%
Belarus 5.0% 99.80% 99.50%
Hungary 6.0% 99.50% 99.30%
Gambia, The 90% 47.80% 32.80%
Mauritania 100% 51.80% 31.90%
Bangladesh 88% 53.90% 31.80%
Senegal 95% 50.00% 30.70%
Yemen 99% 70.50% 30.00%
Guinea-Bissau 70% 58.10% 27.40%
Somalia 100% 49.70% 25.80%
Iraq 97% 55.90% 24.40%
Benin 20% 46.40% 22.60%
Guinea 95% 49.90% 21.90%
Afghanistan 99% 51.00% 21.00%
Sierra Leone 65% 39.80% 20.50%
Burkina Faso 50% 36.90% 16.60%
Niger 91% 25.80% 9.70%

Musulmanin

Wasalaam,
Mujahida

Please see bold sentences above

1) I was not talking about one day off ( you assumed it and said it for me, not good)

2) Start respecting women? when did I disrespect women? ( assumption, again? ) Right from the beginning I was not even talking about women sacraficing their lives to raise families. I was talking about women sacrificing their families for their idle behavior.

3) It seems you are ready to be patient with women, but why we are not so patient with men "forcing their women to work?" Let's be patient for both parties disobeying Allah (swt) and make dua's for both.

Sister, please do not assume things about me and accuse me of things, and also look into my posts more carefully paying attention to words in bold.

I did not talk about women taking a day-off, I was talking about women taking years off and abondoning their duties. These women do not sacrafice their lives for children and husbands. What they sacrafice is Islam for their desires. I see no wrong if they( this group of women) are encouraged to work.

rtbour

american muslima
ahmed_indian,

Please everyone understand that women have the RIGHT and are encouraged by Allah to gain an education and to keep learning. I don't know who gave you all the idea that women should not get good educations. Knowledge is power. A woman has the right to get an education and be informed. She can get an education, even a college education, and still plan to get married, stay home and raise a family once she completes her education. I know good Muslim women who are in college right now, working on masters degrees, and when they are finished with college they plan to get married and have children. They do not plan to get jobs with men and just be free doing whatever they want. They are doing what Allah said they could- getting an education.

"A Woman in Islam Has the Right to Get an Education
In the words of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW):

"To seek knowledge is obligatory on every Muslim."
(Declared Authentic By Shaikh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaani)

Muslim here meaning male and female Muslims, as women are the twin halves of men. The Prophet (SAW) also said:

"Whoever follows a way to seek knowledge, Allah will make easy for him a way to paradise." (Declared Authentic By Shaikh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaani)

A woman in Islam has the right to knowledge and education. Allah (SWT) encourages women to read and keep up the learning process. He also bestows His mercy upon all who seek knowledge, and gives them high status:

"Is one who is obedient to Allah, prostrating himself or standing (in prayer) during the hours of the night, fearing the Hereafter and hoping for the Mercy of his Lord (like one who disbelieves)? Say: "Are those who know equal to those who know not?" It is only men of understanding who will remember (i.e. get a lesson from Allah’s Signs and Verses). (Az-Zumar 39:9)

"O you who believe! When you are told to make room in the assemblies, (spread out and) make room. Allah will give you (ample) room (from His Mercy). And when you are told to rise up (for prayers, Jihad, or for any other good deed), rise up. Allah will exalt in degree those of you who believe, and those who have been granted knowledge. And Allah is Well-Acquainted with what you do. (Al-Mujadilah 58:11)

This is referring to religious knowledge, in the first place, and to any other kind of knowledge, in the second place, where one has the intention of benefiting herself, her family and the Islamic society. Additionally, a husband should not forbid his wife from going out of the house to seek basic religious knowledge, unless he is teaching her at home. The Quran advises mankind to pray:

"Then High above all be Allah, the True King. And be not in haste [O Muhammad (SAW)] with the Quran before its revelation is completed to you, and say: My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Ta-Ha 20:114) "

http://www.realislam.com/muslim_women.htm

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
My sister Safiya58,

You asked, "I can not believe that some regard education of a women as a dangeour to Islam! Is there any evidence for it?"

Yes there is considerable evidence. But remember, the evidence is statistical, there are certainly many individual counter-examples. I researched the top and bottom 15 or so countries in terms of female literacy rate, and then looked at the percentage of muslims in those countries (see table below). You will find an extraordinarily strong correlation between high female literacy and low muslim percentage. As well as an extremely strong correlation between low female literacy and high muslim percentage. And you will also notice that in most of the latter countries, the male literacy rate is often more than double the female literacy rate. This is not coincidence!! If we allow our women to be educated it will be the end of Islam. Not today, not tomorrow, but by the end of this century for sure.

Finland 0.2% 100% 100%
Norway 1.0% 100% 100%
Georgia 11.0% 100% 100%
Yemen 99% 70.50% 30.00%
Iraq 97% 55.90% 24.40%
Benin 20% 46.40% 22.60%
Guinea 95% 49.90% 21.90%
Niger 91% 25.80% 9.70%
I personally feel that you are being biased and untrue in what you said, women being literate will NOT hurt Islam.

Even in Afghanistan, women were allowed to go to school and work (under the Thaaliban rule), and Wallahi, more females passed the college entrance exams than males did!

Wallahi these brothers of Thaaliban are more better than any other Muslim country (except Somalia, because Alhamdulillah, it's becoming an Islamic State, just like the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan)!

safiya58

My sister Safiya58,

Finland 0.2% 100% 100%
Norway 1.0% 100% 100%
Georgia 11.0% 100% 100%
Yemen 99% 70.50% 30.00%
Iraq 97% 55.90% 24.40%
Benin 20% 46.40% 22.60%
Guinea 95% 49.90% 21.90%
Niger 91% 25.80% 9.70%

I disagree wih you (but still you are my brother of course :) ) I asked you for an evidence and you gave me a statistic... but I don´t trust in statistics! the only evidence which I accept is from Quran and sunnah! or will you tell me that this statistic are more correct than the ahadith concerning ilm?

The end of Islam? Islam is the deen of Allah and He will protect it! nothing and noone can harm this deen... you´ve to change your thinking brother.

May Allah guide you and protect you :)

safiya58

sister, u might not have come across those ppl but they are present. maybe because they dont want to share their wealth or maybe to tell others that they are 'liberal' and 'forward looking'.

actually, i was not debating about women education and job; i was only taking the issue of pushing them to do job against their wish.

there are cases where parents do not let their daughter get married at 18 or 20 yrs of age. they force her to build career first and then she can marry when 30-35 yrs old.

i mean this is unfair. its bad for both..men and women.

sorry brother I know I was slightly of topic, I know you was not talking about working or studying women but after reading some comments I just wanted to post my oppinion to that... so frogive me please...

I just find it very strange to believe, it is not bec I thought you are not honest... but now I think I can understand... you mean when the parents or the husband wants "the all best" for the women...

well If I have a daughter I would also encourage her to finish school first and study... but if she would tell me she wants to get married and study I would be ok with that.

I also agree with brother musulmanin.... it is really disgusting when women expect everything from their husbands and don´t do their own duties... it is really a bad thing to waste time...

Musulmanin

rtbour, mashAllah great post! Shukran.

Women should be getting education, then it is up to them to choose to follow the path of Allah (swt) or follow shaytan.

safiya58

I believe that Allah properly guided Xenocalamus to provide you with that evidence. Surely you do not think that the only evidence one can look at is in the Quran? If that were the case, muslims would be totally unable to make contributions in the sciences. The Taliban properly ordered that girls should only be educated up until the age of 8, and only in the Quran. I see that you and I agree that education for women should be limited to what is in the Quran. If women were to believe the statistics Xenocalamus presented, it would indeed by the end of Islam.

ohhh really? you believe in the guidence of Allah....? I´m surprised now, I thought you don´t have a religion! however Quran and Sunnah are an stronger evidence than any other sources! Do you know that the Prophet (saw) reserved a day in a week for women only just to give them ilm in religion...?

I dont want to talk much just want to share this article I read in the web, hope it will be beneficial inshaallah:

The Qur'an and Hadiths of the Prophet both obligate Muslim men and women to acquire knowledge and education. It is a duty for every Muslim. For example, concerning knowledge and education the Qur'an Sura 35 Verse 28 states:

Those truly fear Allah, among His Servants, who have knowledge.

Prophet's Hadiths repeatedly emphasizes the acquirement of education and knowledge for every Muslim male and female. For example, one Hadith states that, " Seeking knowledge is a duty of every Muslim, man or woman." (Ayisha Lemu 1978: 25). Another Hadith states, " Seek knowledge from the cradle to grave." (1978:25). Another Hadith states that, " The Father, if he educates his daughter well, will enter Paradise." (The World Bank Report July 9, 1993: 25). Yet another Hadith states that, " A mother is a school. If she is educated, then a whole people are educated" (1993: 25).

In early of Islamic history there were many women scholars who had very significant roles in the Islamic world. For example Ayisha, the Prophet's wife was one of the most famous Muslim scholars. Not only was she very intelligent, she had an exceptional memory. That is why she was considered one of the most important sources of Hadith. It has been stated in some Islamic reports that the Prophet told the Muslims to go to Ayisha for guidance and learning of religious duties. The Prophet also told the Muslims to trust Ayisha's teaching and guidance( Lemu 1978:: 251).

In the Islamic world, at the beginning of Islam, there were no restrictions or prohibitions toward women to seek knowledge and education. There were many women scholars in the fields of religion, literature, music, education, and medicine. For example, a woman named Nafisa who was related to Ali, the fourth Khalif, had a vast knowledge of and was an expert on the Hadiths of the Prophet. Many famous Muslim scholars of the time, such as Imam Shafi-ai would participate in Nafisa's scholarly discourse and learn from her (1978: 251-253).