Saying "sadaq Allaahul-'Adtheem" after finishing reading the Qur'ân

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Saying "sadaq Allaahul-'Adtheem" after finishing reading the Qur'ân

Question: What is the ruling regarding the saying of "sadaq Allaahul-'Adtheem" after finishing reading of the Qur'ân?

Response: All Praise is for Allaah, the One, and prayers and salutations upon His Messenger, his family and his companions. To proceed:

The saying of "sadaq Allaahul-'Adtheem" after finishing reading of the Qur'an is an innovation. The Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) did not do this and nor did the Rightly Guided Khulafaa, nor any of the (other) Companions (radhi-yallaahu 'anhum) and nor the Imaams of the (Pious) Predecessors (rahima-humullaah). This being with their vast reading and assistance in spreading it's (the Qur'ân's) message and knowing it's rulings. So the saying of this and adhering to it after finishing the reading (of the Qur'ân) is an innovation. It has been confirmed on the authority of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) that he said:

((Anyone who introduces something into this matter of ours (i.e. Islaam), that which is not from it, will have it rejected)) - this (narration) is agreed upon (by both Imaam al-Bukhaaree and Imaam Muslim).

And in another narration:

((Anyone who does an act which is not in agreement with us, then he will have it rejected)) - narrated by Muslim.

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa

The current members of the Permanent Committee include:
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez Aal ash-Shaykh;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Munay;
Member: Shaykh Saalih Ibn Fowzaan;
Member: Shaykh Bakar 'Abdullaah Abu Zayd.

Amongst the members who have passed away include:
Shaykh Ibraaheem Ibn Muhammad Aal ash-Shaykh;
Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez Ibn Baaz;
Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq Ibn 'Afeefee.

al-Bid'u wal-Muhdathaat wa maa laa Asla lahu - Page 571;
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Fatwa No. 3303

This is the answer Sheikh Bin Baz gave to a question on the status of saying "sadaqa allahu al-atheem" after reciting Qur'an according to the way of the Salaf-us-Salih:

"Praise be to Allah.

I do not know any basis for the people's habit of saying "sadaqa allahu al-atheem" when they finish reading Qur'an, so it should not be taken as a habit. Indeed according to the principles of sharee'ah it is more like bida'a, if any believes it is sunnah. So this should not be done and shouldnot be taken as a habit.

With regard to the ayat: "Say O Muhammad: Allah has spoken the truth"

(Al-Imran 3:95) - this is not speaking about this matter. Rather Allah was commanding him to explain to the people that Allah has spoken the truth in what he has said, in His books, the Tawrat, etc., and that he has spoken the truth in all that He had said to His slaves in the Tawrat the Injeel and all other revealed books.

And he was speaking the truth in all that he said his slaves in his book the Qur'an.

But this is not evidence that it is mustahabb to say "sadaqa allahu al-atheem" after reading the Qur'an or after reading some ayahs or a surah.

This is not reported or known from the Prophet SAWS or his companions (radi allahu anhum).

When Ibn Masood recited to the Prophet SAWS from the beginning of surat ul nisa'a until he reached the ayat:

"How will it be then, when we bring from each nation a witness and we bring you o muhammad as a witness against these people?"

the Prophet SAWS said to him "Enough"

Ibn Masood said: "I turned and saw that his eyes were filled with tears", i.e. he was weeping of the mention of this great status on the Day of Resurrection which is mentioned in this ayat, Where Allah says: "How will it be then, when we bring from each nation a witness and we bring you - O Muhammad - as a witness against these people" (i.e. his ummah)

The point here is that there is no basis in sharee'ah for adding these words "sadaqa allahu al-atheem" when finished reading the Qur'an. What is prescribed is not to do this, in accordance with the example of the Prophet SAWS and his companions (radi allahu anhum). But if a person does that sometimes, without intending to, it doesn't matter, for Allah speaks the truth in all matters, may he be glorified and exalted. But making a habit every time one reads the Qur'an, as many people do now adays, has no basis, as stated above."

Kitaab Majmoo Fatawaa wa Maqaalat Mutanaawi'ah li Samaahat Ash-Sheikh Al-Ulamaa Abdul Aziz Ibn Abdullah Ibn Baz

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Assalamualaikum,

Thank you for sharing it with us.
May Allah s.w.t reward you for your good deeds.

Wasalam.

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum Waramatullahi Wabarakatu

Jazaaka Allahu Khayran Katheera :tti_sister:
Thank you so much my husband has been telling me that I need to say this.I will show him this post Inshallah.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu Alaikum:D

REALLY?? *suprised*.....jazakaAllah khairan for teaching me something new!!!! I always thought we had to say it...but INshaAllah....will refrain from it!!! JazakaAllah khairan again!:D

Allah hafiz now and alwaaaaaaaayyyysss:D

fatimabilals

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
Is this true? Is there any confirmation? Pls let me know soon so dat i can inform my family members.

FreedomFighter

:salam2:

jazakAllah khayran for sharing. didnt know it was bid'ah. is there any more confirmation or any more things to support this?

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
assalamualaikum, woah ... alot of people always say it after reciting the quran , could they all be in error? :O anywho is there anthing else to support this?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Aisha (ra) reported that prophet (peace be upon him) used to conclude reading Quran or prayer with following words:

Subhanaka Wabihamdika La ilaaha illa Anta Astaghfiruka Wa atubu Ilaih.how perfect you are and i praise You.none has the right to be worshipped except You.i seek Your forgiveness and turn in repentence to You. [An- Nasaee]

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
i used to say it everytime after finished reading the quran
but looks like now cant do it anymore
even the ustaz and teachers used to say it too
so does this mean after finished reciting the quran we just close it?
and what about kissing the quran on our head? - is it a culture and an innovation
thanks for those who can help clarify it
jazakallahu khair kathiran

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
i used to say it everytime after finished reading the quran
but looks like now cant do it anymore
even the ustaz and teachers used to say it too
so does this mean after finished reciting the quran we just close it?
and what about kissing the quran on our head? - is it a culture and an innovation
thanks for those who can help clarify it
jazakallahu khair kathiran

:wasalam:

not all scholars take it as bidah. Imam Ghazali (ra) was one of them.

kissing the Quran is a sign of respect and love. we dont take it as innovation.

Imad

Assalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Please if authentic evidence has been brought forward we listen and accept...It's clear from the above evidences that the sahaba and the prophet Sallalahu 3aleihi wassalem Himself didn't say Sadaqa Llahu el Adiem, so why would i say it or why would someone else oblige me to say it....Of course Allah spreaks the truth, but to turn something into a sunnah or obligation while it's not, is a bida without doubt?

I will tell you a story which happend to a brother and i saw everything with my own eyes. This brother had a beautifull voice and read the Quran in a very nice way. One day they asked him to recite the Quran before a lecture started. He agreed and recited the Quran...when he finished he wanted to close the Quran...but everyone shouted at him: " Say SadaqAllahu el Adiem". There were i think more than 100 people. But the brother stood up and didn't say anything, because he knew it's not from the sunnah nor an obligation.

I really thought subbhAnAllah when i saw people shouting in the mosque
( Masjied)....They have made two mistakes:

1- Shouting in the mosque while it's not allowed to shout
2- They obliged the brother to say sadaqAllahu el Adiem

I am not finished with my story...When the brother who recited stood up without saying SadaQAllahu el Adiem an other brother took the microphone and said: " Sadaq Allahu el adiem"

SubhanAllah....

Making something which is not a sunnah nor an obligation to be an obligation or a sunnah is bida (innovation) without any doubt.

Salamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
This is sadly the effect of blind following as we se on some members here. There is nothing wrong with saying "Allah spoke the truth" after finishing reciting the Qur´an and it is not bidah.

Please read the fatwa properly. We are talking about Saying Sadaqllah Hal Azeem everytime after we finish reading the quran till it becomes a habit, then this becomes a bid'ah ... To the extend that if you dont say Saying Sadaqllah Hal Azeem , people might think your recitation is not complete or there is some deficiency in it .

How may people wants to do right ..but it does come come from the sunnah . The above fatwa is one such example.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
sorry I'm bringing this up again after two years!
I am doing a lot of reading on this site about what is bidha and I must say that I am beyond shocked at what I am reading. Almost everything I practice is written in this site as being bidha. I really dont know what to believe - esp when only one fatwa or one scholar is saying something...

:wasalam:

not all scholars take it as bidah. Imam Ghazali (ra) was one of them.

kissing the Quran is a sign of respect and love. we dont take it as innovation.

Dont all acts of bidha stem from us showing our respect and love?? We cant use the justification that if it wasnt done by the Prophet (SAW) then we shouldnt do it - for some things and not use it for others... Most of the other acts which are being called bidha are only little extra things of emphasis or signs of respect and love.

Brothers and Sisters... I am feeling very confused about most of what I am reading. I just read that saying your intention before salah is bidha!
Please could I get clarification on what the Salaf says about Hanafi, shafi, Maliki and Ahmadi? Because some acts that are prescibed in these madhabs are bidha according to the Salaf.

I am so confused! :shymuslima1:

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Sister, we don't and we cannot respect and love Qur'an and Sunnah more than the Salaf-us-salihin ( Sahaba, Tabi'in, Taba’i tabi’in). Anything we try to do, out of love or respect, that they did not do, is a bida'h.

Regarding Imam Ghazaali, I don't know why people call him Radiallahu 'Anhu when he is not a Salaf-us-salih. Moreover, I am very doubtful if we should take from him since he was a Sufi for all his life but before dying he accepted Sunnah as the truth. Scholars have refuted the sufi contents of his books.

If the scholars differ in something, get back to what Qur'an and Sunnah says. Don't jeopardize your akhirah by doing something that is doubtful. The Sahaaba said they used to stay away from half of the even halal things since they were so afraid of falling into haram. We can do what we are sure of being halal. There is clear difference between halal and haram. The doubtful ones, get back to Qur'an and Sunnah. If you are not sure, even then, then avoid.

This is the advice of even Imam Abu Hanifa ( Rahimahullah), Imam Ash-Shafi' ( Rahimahullah), Imam Ahmed ibn Hanbal ( Rahimahullah) and Imam Malik ibn Anas ( Rahimahullah). Regarding the Madhab you are following, as long as you don't have anything else, follow it. But, if you get an evidence from Qur'an and Sunnah and you understand it to be bid'ah and you are convinced, then follow what Qur'an and Sunnah says and you don't have to follow the madhab in this aspect.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
sorry I'm bringing this up again after two years!
I am doing a lot of reading on this site about what is bidha and I must say that I am beyond shocked at what I am reading. Almost everything I practice is written in this site as being bidha. I really dont know what to believe - esp when only one fatwa or one scholar is saying something...

Dont all acts of bidha stem from us showing our respect and love?? We cant use the justification that if it wasnt done by the Prophet (SAW) then we shouldnt do it - for some things and not use it for others... Most of the other acts which are being called bidha are only little extra things of emphasis or signs of respect and love.

Brothers and Sisters... I am feeling very confused about most of what I am reading. I just read that saying your intention before salah is bidha!
Please could I get clarification on what the Salaf says about Hanafi, shafi, Maliki and Ahmadi? Because some acts that are prescibed in these madhabs are bidha according to the Salaf.

I am so confused! :shymuslima1:

You're from the Subcontinent aren't you?

What you're experiencing is perfectly normal and is the exact same thing my mother experienced whenever I pointed bidah out to her. She grew up with all those practices and was shocked at how much of it wasn't actually Sunnah. At one point, it started to feel as if EVERYTHING we were doing in terms of ibaadah was wrong!

It was quite a transition for her to accept that the practices she had been raised with were wrong, but alhamdulillah, her love for pleasing Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala was stronger and she did what many of her generation refused to do. She believed me when I informed her the practices were innovations and insisted on sticking to the Sunnah. It's something I'm extremely proud of her for doing because many of her peers from the Subcontinent cling to their cultural traditions and practices simply because they were raised with them and didn't care that they may not be correct.

Sister, the sad fact is the Subcontinent is FILLED with innovation, to the point where I've never seen another group of Muslims with so much bidah infiltrating it. It's actually a sad fact that when I do Islamic research, I forego any sources from the Subcontinent or look for information from other sources to verify what ulema from the Subcontinent say.

Sad but true. It's extremely difficult to realize that your entire routine is based on inaccurate sources but it can be a test to see how far the Believers will go to seek out the truth and please their Lord.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
You're from the Subcontinent aren't you?

What you're experiencing is perfectly normal and is the exact same thing my mother experienced whenever I pointed bidah out to her. She grew up with all those practices and was shocked at how much of it wasn't actually Sunnah. At one point, it started to feel as if EVERYTHING we were doing in terms of ibaadah was wrong!

It was quite a transition for her to accept that the practices she had been raised with were wrong, but alhamdulillah, her love for pleasing Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala was stronger and she did what many of her generation refused to do. She believed me when I informed her the practices were innovations and insisted on sticking to the Sunnah. It's something I'm extremely proud of her for doing because many of her peers from the Subcontinent cling to their cultural traditions and practices simply because they were raised with them and didn't care that they may not be correct.

Sister, the sad fact is the Subcontinent is FILLED with innovation, to the point where I've never seen another group of Muslims with so much bidah infiltrating it. It's actually a sad fact that when I do Islamic research, I forego any sources from the Subcontinent or look for information from other sources to verify what ulema from the Subcontinent say.

Sad but true. It's extremely difficult to realize that your entire routine is based on inaccurate sources but it can be a test to see how far the Believers will go to seek out the truth and please their Lord.

:salam2: Sister....

No I am not from the subcontinent, BUT my grandparents were and the "mawlanas" that taught us in Madressa and that run our masjid are very much Indian imports.. I think back to everything they taught us and some things have become soooo routine for me to do, now im almost halfway thru something and think to myself - thats not correct so i have to stop... my mother and father both believe in these practices. and consequently my brother and I practised as well. A lot didnt sit well with me even as a child but I would never dare say anything!
Just like you I have started to educate my mother. At the moment she doesnt seem too interested in changing but everyday I am telling her something new and Inshallah I pray that she will lift the curtain in front of her eyes. I tried to tell my brother and it didnt end well at all. he told me that I am entitled to my "opinions" and I am a fundamental wahabi! so typical! So Im pretty upset about this and i dont really know how to go forward with regards to helping my family.....
I just feel very angered at all the stuff we were taught. They dont even know that they are wrong and to teach innocent children wrong practices?! I pray for their enlightenment and forgiveness.
Once again just like you I am doubting everything i was taught - down to the basics... salaah, fasting, intention, dua.... we were even taught that when a woman goes to hell she takes with her - her father, brother and husband because they are to blame for her sins as it was their responsibility to keep her from sinning!!!!!!!! now i learn that Allah does not burden anyone with the punishment of others.. I feel like I have to learn aLL over again... And i am very happy to be doing that. Fresh Islamic start. It is exciting for me. and this time round I am trying to practice all that I learn...
Kepp me and my family in your duas :)

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Sister, we don't and we cannot respect and love Qur'an and Sunnah more than the Salaf-us-salihin ( Sahaba, Tabi'in, Taba’i tabi’in). Anything we try to do, out of love or respect, that they did not do, is a bida'h.

Regarding Imam Ghazaali, I don't know why people call him Radiallahu 'Anhu when he is not a Salaf-us-salih. Moreover, I am very doubtful if we should take from him since he was a Sufi for all his life but before dying he accepted Sunnah as the truth. Scholars have refuted the sufi contents of his books.

If the scholars differ in something, get back to what Qur'an and Sunnah says. Don't jeopardize your akhirah by doing something that is doubtful. The Sahaaba said they used to stay away from half of the even halal things since they were so afraid of falling into haram. We can do what we are sure of being halal. There is clear difference between halal and haram. The doubtful ones, get back to Qur'an and Sunnah. If you are not sure, even then, then avoid.

This is the advice of even Imam Abu Hanifa ( Rahimahullah), Imam Ash-Shafi' ( Rahimahullah), Imam Ahmed ibn Hanbal ( Rahimahullah) and Imam Malik ibn Anas ( Rahimahullah). Regarding the Madhab you are following, as long as you don't have anything else, follow it. But, if you get an evidence from Qur'an and Sunnah and you understand it to be bid'ah and you are convinced, then follow what Qur'an and Sunnah says and you don't have to follow the madhab in this aspect.

:salam2: Brother...
Thank you for your post.... it is clear. to avoid that which I doubt, but there are things that seem so simple in nature but are bidha?! for example the content of this thread - and another I read - making intension before salaah. I feel I have to - it makes me conscious of what i am doing and which salaah i am praying. i cant just say it inside my head and then make takbir... i will do more research and reading and see where it takes me...

Could you give me (or a link to) the names of the Imams and other in the Salaf whos words we trust? Because i read a lot of articles and the names dont sound like anyone i know so i dont know if i should follow...

BarakAllah Feek.