Need your thoughts on this...

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Masha Allaah! I'm so happy. You see, I work in a call center and today I think I received about 5-7 calls from Muslims from 2 different countries, the U.S. and India. This might sound like no big deal for some but it just makes me happy because I made new friends. That's all, I just wanted to share my happiness. I couldn't share it with anybody here in the office they can't relate to what I feel. :( and also, I was just wondering, since Muslimahs shouldn't really be talking with men (non-mahram) often, am I accountable for this? I speak to almost 30 men and women in 8 hours over the phone. I need your thoughts on this. Should I consider a different job? I can't think of any other job aside from this. :( but Insha Allaah, if I already have the money to start my own business I really would. Jazakallaahu Khayran!

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum

The choice facing u is a choice between what is right and what is wrong, between what is halaal and what is haraam.

i advise u to protect the best thing that u possesses, which is ur religion and chastity, and to stay with ur family so as to protect urself and be among those who will protect u. Perhaps Allaah will make it easy for u to find work that is acceptable according to sharee’ah, and a righteous husband. i give u the glad tidings of the hadeeth of the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with something better than that.” (Classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani – may Allaah have mercy on him – in Hijaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah).

don't pay any attention to the salary . That does not mean anything if it also brings the wrath of Allaah.It is bad enough talking with men (non-mahram) face to face or over the phone

There is nothing to stop you from looking for work that is acceptable according to sharee’ah, especially since some companies now employ people at home, letting them do their work via the Internet. This may be a suitable alternative, especially for Muslim women.

i leave u in care of Allah

<wasalam>

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

I don`t think there`s anything wrong about you being happy about connecting with your Muslim brothers and sisters. I think that shows how proud you are of being a Muslimah.

As of the rules of women speaking to men and vice-versa, I hope this helps:

Limits and conditions within which a man may speak to a non-mahram woman

Question:
My question is about the adab or the manner between a brother and sister?
I need clarifcation, are we allowed to give salam to sister who is not your muhram or talk to her as you talk to a brother, and how much you allowed to talk?
and what about the non-muhram who are cousine, for example the uncles daughter Am I allowed to give salam and talk to her, and how is her life?please provide for me daleel(proof) and what about marriage?
what allowed talk and salam, ( what is allowed and not) all these things!
because today people mixed between culture and deen, when you tell them about that they say you are bringing new religon!, even alot brothers who relgious don't know this, you may see salafy brother talking weetlgy to sister who were nikab and not his muhram,

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

In brief, what the fuqaha’ have said about women’s voices is that they are not ‘awrah in and of themselves, and there is nothing wrong with listening to them when there is a need to do so, so they do not forbid listening to them, but certain conditions apply, as follows:

The woman should speak without elongating the words, making her voice soft, or raising her voice. It is haraam for a man to listen with enjoyment, for fear of fitnah (temptation).

The decisive factor for knowing what is haraam in the matter of women’s speaking is what is included in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“O wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women. If you keep your duty (to Allaah), then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner.” [al-Ahzaab 33:32]

What is forbidden is being too soft in speech. It is obligatory for women to speak in an honourable manner, which means, as the mufassireen explained, that they should not make their voices soft when addressing men. In conclusion, what is required of the Muslim woman when she speaks to a non-mahram man is that she should adhere to what is mentioned in this aayah. She should refrain from what is forbidden and should fulfil her duties. She should speak only when necessary, and only about matters that are permissible and honourable, not evil. Between a woman and a non-mahram man there should be no intonation, gestures, chat, joking, flirting or playful talk, so that there will be no room for provocation of desires and doubts. Women are not prevented from talking to non-mahram men when it is necessary to do so, such as dealing directly with them when buying things or conducting any other financial transaction, because in such cases it is necessary for both parties to speak. A woman may also ask a scholar about some legal Islamic matter, or a man may ask a woman such questions, as is proven in various texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah. Within the guidelines described above, there is nothing wrong with a woman speaking to a non-mahram man. It is also permissible for men to greet women with salaam and vice versa, according to the most correct opinion, but this greeting must be free of anything that may provoke desire in the person in whose heart is a disease, so as to be safe from fitnah and pay attention to the regulations outlined above.

If there is fear of fitnah being provoked by this greeting, then the woman should refrain from either initiating or returning the greeting, because warding off fitnah by neglecting the greeting is warding off mischief, and warding off mischief takes precedence over doing something useful. (See al-Mufassal fi Ahkaam al-Mar’ah by ‘Abd al-Kareem Zaydaan, vol 3/276). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

nafeesa

:tti_sister:
Masha Allaah! I'm so happy. You see, I work in a call center and today I think I received about 5-7 calls from Muslims from 2 different countries, the U.S. and India. This might sound like no big deal for some but it just makes me happy because I made new friends. That's all, I just wanted to share my happiness. I couldn't share it with anybody here in the office they can't relate to what I feel. :( and also, I was just wondering, since Muslimahs shouldn't really be talking with men (non-mahram) often, am I accountable for this? I speak to almost 30 men and women in 8 hours over the phone. I need your thoughts on this. Should I consider a different job? I can't think of any other job aside from this. :( but Insha Allaah, if I already have the money to start my own business I really would. Jazakallaahu Khayran!

salaam alaykum
we feel glad that you choose us to share your happieness,May Allah swt always keep you cherished in the right way.Ameen. let me bring this to your notice i was working in a call center and just gave in my resignation after working for few months ,i found that it was difficult for me to perform my daily religious activites such as reading quran or hadis even performing my sunnah salaah.though i loved my job but there was too much of mingling around with the other sex which frightened me (being a single women) i may fall into the zina of eye,
however I took the decision to leave this job (which was the source of my living),and patiently wait for the right thing to happen which would be under the SHARIAH,i heard that if you quit some thing for Allah swt sake he will give you better then you lost.this was what i did sister,trust and pray that Allah swt guides you ,in what is right in ISLAM.May Allah help us all.

yasmin623

Dear sister,

Assalamualaykum...

Thanks for sharing yr happiness with us...:hearts:

Whether or not to give up the job actually depend on your situation. If you could find another one which is enough to support your living, that`s the best. Pray to Allah for that...

Anyway, I see no harm if you continue your job as long as you be careful of your manner while answering the phone. It should be polite and formal. If you look into hadith, not so difficult to find the situation where the sahabiah (female companions) interacted formally with the sahabah (male companions). The foremost important is the way you conduct it. Your case is even simpler as you only talk through phone. Anyway, must be very careful to avoid any circumstance that is possible leading to fitnah...

Hope you will be having enough for starting yr own business or finding a good job soon. May Allah guide you always...:muslim_child:

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

Nice topic sis,I am a bit confused because being honest in any job you have to interact with male and female.Anyway one thing I do is where I work at the moment I have male/female clients calling up and enquiring about statements,invoices.

So would this be wrong?

:wasalam:

AishaR

Dearest sister

I feel so proud that you can share your joys with us. I work in a call centre environment & it always fills me with joy when I speak to a brother/sister.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam,

You are talking to them from behind a screen, and you are simply talking about business / computer problems or whatever the call-centre deals with.

Its not as if these calls are "non-professional" in context right? Just be as upright and strict as possible in the calls inshaAllah it is Ok. If you can find another job then this is much better for you.

You will need to ask a scholar, there is no definitive answer as it all relates to your specific situation. I.e. according to how important the work is, the nature of the work etc.

Wasalam.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

Jazzak-Allah Khair brother,I take note of this answer aswell bro,even though I don`t work in a call centre.