why does Allah swt test us?

fada_all

salam alikum wa rahmatu allah taala wa barakatuh all my dear brothers and sisters hope all are in a good state of mind, health and strong imane ,

We are taught that Allah brought us into existence, placed us on this earth, gave most of us the ability to choose how to spend our lives. We are told that Allah created us to test us, and we will be rewarded or punished as a result. Also we are taught that Allah created us so that we would worship Him.
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate
"There is nothing like unto Him"
A fundamental tenet of our belief is that Allah is completely dissimilar to everything besides Him. He tells us in the Qur'an, "There is nothing whatsoever like unto Him." (42:11) A consequence of this belief is that unlike human actions, divine actions are not driven by motives, because motives only make sense in the context of someone who is weak and needy.
To clarify this further, consider the following. When humans perform actions, it makes sense to inquire what drove them to do so because, being the indigent beings that they are, they always act to fulfill certain needs. For example, Zayd will put on a coat because the weather is cold and he needs warmth. Aisha will eat food because she is hungry and needs nutrition. Ali will go to university because he needs to earn a living through the degree that he will obtain. As you can see from these examples, the motives that people have behind their actions betray their fundamental neediness.
Allah is the creator of everything and needs nothing. This is easy to state but not so straightforward to comprehend. One of the implications of this absolute freedom from need of anything is that Allah is not driven by motives when He acts. Someone who needs nothing can have no motives. To ask "why" Allah did something makes no sense at all. In the words of the Qur'an, "He is not questioned regarding what He does, but they are questioned."
Allah has no need for our obedience and our disobedience does not harm Him. He does not need to reward us if we obey Him. And had He chosen to, He could have rewarded us for disobeying Him. This is why classical manuals of orthodox Sunni belief teach us that whenever Allah rewards someone, He does so out of His pure generosity; not because He is driven to do so by a need or because we have a right to His reward. The question, "Why?" is inapplicable.
Similarly, Allah does not need to punish us if we disobey Him. And had He chosen to, He could have punished us for obeying Him. This is why the same manuals also teach us that whenever Allah punishes someone, He is not wronging them, for they have no right over Him (recall that our obedience or disobedience does not affect Him). He punishes out of His pure justice. The question, "Why?" is inapplicable.

revert2007

Love Fishing
mashaAllah.......
in our life as well we need test for everything
test to enter university
test drive before buying a car
test(interview) for job

we need test to enter jannah

ummi h

asalam,

Allah test those whom he loves.

i was tested with a test i never imagined i would be tested but alhamdulilah everytime i felt sad, i kept remembering that Allah tests those whom he loves. and i felt happy that Allah chose to test me because he loved me and wanted to bring me closer to him. and his religion.... ALLHAMDULLILAAAAAH

Meekaal

Correction

Similarly, Allah does not need to punish us if we disobey Him. And had He chosen to, He could have punished us for obeying Him.

This statement is fundamentally incorrect. Its outward implication is that Allaah can do something that is not wise. This is going against the attributes of Hikmah (wisdom) and 'Adl (justice) of Allaah. Allaah has defined good and bad for us and we are judged accordingly. To say that Allaah can punish us for obeying Him goes against the attributes of wisdom and justice of Allaah. We have to be careful about this matter. And Allaah knows best.

fada_all

This statement is fundamentally incorrect. Its outward implication is that Allaah can do something that is not wise. This is going against the attributes of Hikmah (wisdom) and 'Adl (justice) of Allaah. Allaah has defined good and bad for us and we are judged accordingly. To say that Allaah can punish us for obeying Him goes against the attributes of wisdom and justice of Allaah. We have to be careful about this matter. And Allaah knows best.
the menaing of this statement dear akhi is not complete because i agree with you and here i want to clarify this point you said above is everything that allah swt created is done with wisdom and purpose and no one dare to deny it akhi hasha ilallah :astag::astag: you just didn't complete the sentence's meaning untiil the end of the paragraph akhi and jazaka allah khaiarn katiran..
Similarly, Allah does not need to punish us if we disobey Him. And had He chosen to, He could have punished us for obeying Him. This is why the same manuals also teach us that whenever Allah punishes someone, He is not wronging them, for they have no right over Him (recall that our obedience or disobedience does not affect Him)
Allah is the creator of everything and needs nothing. This is easy to state but not so straightforward to comprehend. One of the implications of this absolute freedom from need of anything is that Allah is not driven by motives when He acts. Someone who needs nothing can have no motives. To ask "why" Allah did something makes no sense at all. In the words of the Qur'an, "He is not questioned regarding what He does, but they are questioned."
Allah has no need for our obedience and our disobedience does not harm Him. He does not need to reward us if we obey Him. And had He chosen to, He could have rewarded us for disobeying Him

dear akhi i hope this may clarify the ambiguity you get above

allah konws the best..
salam alikum

Mathieu

Salam,

I don't really understand. For my mind that doesn't make sense at all. If I spend all my life praying to Allah and doing good deeds and at the end he decides to punish me for obeying him why would I take the chance to believe in a God like this?

The path of the believer is not LUCK. You don't believe all you life hoping to get a 50% chance that Allah will reward you. You need to believe that you will get a reward because you are a good believer and that Allah is merciful.

Sorry if my way of thinking is wrong may you explain it to me?

Mathieu

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:

Allah (SWT) says in Surah Al-Ahzab

(33:72) We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to carry it and were afraid of doing so; but human (insaan) carried it. Surely he/she is unjust (to himself/herself) and ignorant.
(33:73) (The consequence of human's carrying the trust is) that Allah may chastise hypocritical men and hypocritical women and dis-believing men and dis-believing women and accept the repentance of believing men and believing women. Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.

In my opinion in these ayahs (verses) Allah has layed out the whole reason of creating the heavens and the earth which has been created for the sole purpose of testing creations like Humans and Jinns.
We are not here because Allah wanted to put us into this dangerous situation where we are most likely to go to hell than heavan. We are here because of our own decision of accepting this Trust.

Now what is this "Trust"? This is the key to understanding the whole verse and probably answering your question. Before I attempt to answer your question I would like to present here some Ayahs and Hadiths.

(59:24) He is Allah, the Creator, the Inventor and the Fashioner. His are the names most beautiful. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth extols His Glory. He is the Most Mighty, the Most Wise.

Ibn Jareer said: " Yoonus told me that Ibn Wahb informed him that Ibn Zaid said: "My father told me: "Allah's Messenger said: "The seven heavens are no more in comparison to the Kursi than seven dirhams set in a shield." Abu Zarr (ra) said: "I heard Allah's Messenger say: "The Kursi is no more in comparison to the Arsh (Throne) than an iron ring thrown in a vast desert."

Let us examine these information: Allah is the creator and inventor and fashioner, Allah has used the Arabic word "Mussavir". Well... an artist is also called a mussavir. In humans a mussavir is a person who based on his imagination makes sculptures and make painting etc. So let us say that an artist has a large studio and he made many pieces of art and then he liked few of them so he picked them and brought them into his living room or bedroom etc.

Well, if Allah's Arsh is so big that the Kursi which is itself is so big that it contains all the seven heavens in it, is like a ring in a desert, then the rest of the Arsh would NOT be void of creations. So based on the Hadith above I can say with confidance that there would be huge amount of other creations outside the Kursi.

Now back to the Trust... This is what I think and this is my own personal thinking.
I think that when Allah created gazillions upon gazzilions of beings under his Throne which is huge, and among his creation were the best of creations i.e. the souls of Prophets which He really liked and wanted to bring them closer to Him just under his Throne. Now unlike humans Allah has no limit of space so he offered this Trust to all his creation big and small. According to the rules if they accept to participate in the TEST then if they pass the test then they will live in the most luxurious place that ever existed in the whole kingdom of Allah, the Paradise, but if they fail then they will be punished and burned in the most painful place, Hellfire. That is why Allah says that great beings of the size of mountains didn't accept this Trust because they were afraid and they didn't want to take this chance of going into hellfire for ever. But man took it because he is ignorant, careless and unjust to himself.

So Allah created this test center (the seven haavens) and sealed it with his Kursi and then when the test room (earth) became ready he started sending Jinns and Humans in the cycle of life and death.

Those who will do better in the test will go into higher level of Paradise and similarly those who will fail badly will be thrown into the lower lavel of Hell. Prophets have been tested more severly because they will go to the highest level of Jannah. I think that whatever level of testing you opted for, you will be tested according to that level, and so will be your reward and punishment.

When the testing will be over then this test center (the 7 heavans and the Kursi) will be dismanteled and will be replaced by Paradise and Hell.
(Just as a note: String theory provides some information which matched with what Quran and Hadith tells us about seven heavens).

So here we are in the test center because we took that Trust. I just hope that I didn't bite more than what I can chew.

So here is my answer and it is my own thinking. I am just sharing it with you.

Now here is that verse again:

(33:72) We did indeed offer the Trust to the Heavens and the Earth and the Mountains; but they refused to undertake it, being afraid thereof: but man undertook it; He was indeed unjust and foolish.

:wasalam:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Salam,

I don't really understand. For my mind that doesn't make sense at all. If I spend all my life praying to Allah and doing good deeds and at the end he decides to punish me for obeying him why would I take the chance to believe in a God like this?

The path of the believer is not LUCK. You don't believe all you life hoping to get a 50% chance that Allah will reward you. You need to believe that you will get a reward because you are a good believer and that Allah is merciful.

Sorry if my way of thinking is wrong may you explain it to me?

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,
I don't know from where you got this idea of 50% chance?
If you believe in Allah and his messanger Mohammad(PBUH) and you do good deed then you will go to Paradise.

But say somebody is a Muslim and he prays 5 times a day etc but he also hurts other people and every body hates him because of his actions then his chances of going to Paradise are small because all of the sins he accumulated by hurting others.

But you maybe talking about "going to Paradise as a mercy of Allah."
You don't need to worry about that because he will have mercy on all of us.

An example of Allah's mercy is in this Hadith:

Prophet (PBUH) said that on the Day of Judgment a man will come and he will have all good deeds and very very small amount of bad deeds. This man will say To Allah that because of his good deeds he deserves Paradise. Allah will say OK let us see haw much you have worshipped to pay for your eyes. Then all the benefits he got from his eyes will be placed on the balance and all his good deeds will be nothing in comparison to just the benefits of his eyes. This man will then be embarassed and say "O Allah no one can go to Paradise without your mercy, so send me to Paradise because of your mercy". And so he will be sent to the Paradise because of Allah's mercy.

We all will go the Paradise because of Allah's mercy and forgiveness and not solely because of our deeds. But deeds are still very important because without good deed and belief in Allah, we may not even qualify for His mercy and forgiveness. And again we have been told by the Prophet that He will definetly have mercy on us if we believe in Him and do good deeds.
I hope you now understand this concept now.

Mathieu

Salam,

The 50% chance was just an example to prove my point. No facts or anything.

I understand the fact that if a Muslim prays 5 times a day and then do bad deeds like beating people or anything he will be punished.

The thing that I don't like is this:

"Allah has no need for our obedience and our disobedience does not harm Him. He does not need to reward us if we obey Him. And had He chosen to, He could have rewarded us for disobeying Him. "

I don't understand this point. It doesn't make sense. Allah doesn't NEED but he WANTS our obedience since he is merciful. He sent plenty of prophets on earth to show us the right path to him. If he wouldn't care of our obedience why would he choose some prophet to show us the path?

The point contradicts itself. Since Allah is the All-Knowing he cannot make mistakes or contradictions (these are humans words). That means that if he sent us the Q'uran (Word of Allah) and that a Muslim follow the words of Allah since this is what the Q'uran is and if he does some good deeds he obeys him, he MUST go to Paradise. While a Muslim who doesn't follow the Q'uran doesn't obey to Allah, therefore he shouldn't be rewarded for this.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
To answer your question I will give an example of a Class Teacher. The teacher WANT you to study, he doesn't NEED you to study. If you don't study the teacher will be sad but you will be the real loser because you will fail. But if you study then it is you who will benefit because you will pass.

But I think the similarity ends when you study hard and do good in your test then the teacher HAS to give you passing grade and you MUST graduate.

But with Allah it is technically and practically still his mercy that will grant you the Paradise. Just like the Hadith I posted above about a person who thought that he MUST go to paradise because of his good deeds, but he couldn't even pay for the use of his eyes alone.

So Allah doesn't need our worship, it is actually we who are in need of this worship to Allah so that we could get salvation in the hereafter. And we all are creation of Allah and he created all things even the feelings like love, hate, pain, happiness etc etc so he reserve the right to forgive anyone and grant that person Paradise.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
sister, i think the more we think over this, the more we will become confused.

even if i try to get their answers, i might not get them.

so why not focus in obeying Allah and seeking His pleasure? :)

why He made 24 hrs in a day, why He created us, why Qadar is different for different ppl, i think its not of much use to ponder over them.

atleast we are pleased with Allah as our Lord, Muhammed (peace be upon him) as our prophet and Islam as our way of life!

revert2007

Love Fishing
To brother Mathieu

Allah is very fair enough.Allah gives everything u need in this world for non muslims.thats the reason most of the non muslims are having better life than muslims.but Allah will never give anything for non muslims in hereafter except HELL.muslims get what they are suppose to get in this world.and if they obey Allah and follow the sunnah,they will enter paradise the eternal happiness.Cant u see how fair is Allah.the more u question about Allah,the more ur going far from Him.He has mentioned everything in Quran.

don't allow syatan poison ur mind.

fada_all

Salam,

I understand the fact that if a Muslim prays 5 times a day and then do bad deeds like beating people or anything he will be punished.

"Allah has no need for our obedience and our disobedience does not harm Him. He does not need to reward us if we obey Him. And had He chosen to, He could have rewarded us for disobeying Him. "

I don't understand this point. It doesn't make sense. Allah doesn't NEED but he WANTS our obedience since he is merciful. He sent plenty of prophets on earth to show us the right path to him. If he wouldn't care of our obedience why would he choose some prophet to show us the path?

The point contradicts itself. Since Allah is the All-Knowing he cannot make mistakes or contradictions (these are humans words). That means that if he sent us the Q'uran (Word of Allah) and that a Muslim follow the words of Allah since this is what the Q'uran is and if he does some good deeds he obeys him, he MUST go to Paradise. While a Muslim who doesn't follow the Q'uran doesn't obey to Allah, therefore he shouldn't be rewarded for this.

salam alikum wa rahmatu allah taala wa barakatuh,

dear akhi Mathieu i think brother Munawar and sister revert have already answered you may allah reward them , i want only to add something is that Allah swt said in the holly Qur'an in what is meaning "I ONLY CREATED AL INS WA AL JINN ONLY TO WORSHIP ME" and that explains that allah created us only to worship Him SWT
but that doesn't mean that He is in need of our worship but this latter is of our benefit to obey Him swt so as to gain His mercy in the hereafter.. and enter al jannah

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Salam,

Assalamu Allaicum

I think that this ayah is refering and explain us that Allah Subhna wa teal is All Powerfull,and that He can do anything SubhanAllah,like He created human beings and jins only to worship Him.The meaning of this ayah is that if Allah wanted He could create other creations who could worship Him,and not us human beings,or if He wanted He could order us to obey Him by following His path-Islaam,and not reword us because Allah can do anything.But becasue Allah is The Most Mercyfull he has show us the right path and promisse us His Reword-Jannah,Inshallah.

I hope Inhshallah you will understand now better dear brother Mathieu

May Allah bless you:tti_sister:

aroojimran

Walykum assalam wrwb

Read your thread and found it full of wisdom..Allah SWT tests us for our IMAAN,Faith in HIM and we muslims should remain steadfast in that..

However hard times life brings us we must fasten our Complete self to HIM alone..

I wonder how brother Matheiu doubts Allah's justice!!

Dear brother,Allah is the Most Merciful,remember that...if u r on the right path,doing good always,Allah will reward you in the Hereafter...

Walykum assalam wrwb

Mathieu

Walykum assalam wrwb

Read your thread and found it full of wisdom..Allah SWT tests us for our IMAAN,Faith in HIM and we muslims should remain steadfast in that..

However hard times life brings us we must fasten our Complete self to HIM alone..

I wonder how brother Matheiu doubts Allah's justice!!

Dear brother,Allah is the Most Merciful,remember that...if u r on the right path,doing good always,Allah will reward you in the Hereafter...

Walykum assalam wrwb

Thanks for the explanations. You wonder why I doubt ? The answer is simple, the way the theory was explained was simply not clear to me, and since I am not a Muslim nor a Convert I'm still learning about Islam.

Sorry if my words were offensive to you, I only seek the knowledge that I currently don't possess.

aroojimran

brother you r welcome to seek more n more knowledge about Islam....Hope that Allah swt guides you to the right path....

Asiya-sparkles

My life is but a weaving between my Lord and I,
I cannot choose the colours He weaveth steadily,
Of time He chooses sorrow and I in my foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper and I the under side.

Not until the loom is silent and the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas and explain the reasons why,
The dark threads are needful in the weavers skillful hands,
As are the threads of gold and silver in the pattern He has planned.