Speed Reading?

HappyMuslimah

Exams:Duas please!
:salam2:

Arabic is not my first, or even second language, so when reciting the Holy Qur'an, I can be fairly slow. In my culture, however, there is a lot of emphasis on reading it fast, especially when reciting in gatherings such as khatams etc. Whilst reading fluently makes it sound beautiful, I believe the speed in which you read isn't important - rather it is what you understand and learn from the recitation. What do you guys think?

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
I can read Arabic very fast ma sha'a Allah , coz it's my language ..
while reading Qur'an I'd rather reading not too fast and not too slow , in order to understand the meanings deeply .

But in English , I'm the worst :( when I make voice conversation in English all the time I say : amm ammm eshsmooo :biggrin:

yafash

? ????? ?????? ? ???? ???? ? ??????
I can read Arabic very fast ma sha'a Allah , coz it's my language ..
while reading Qur'an I'd rather reading not too fast and not too slow , in order to understand the meanings deeply .

But in English , I'm the worst :( when I make voice conversation in English all the time I say : amm ammm eshsmooo :biggrin:

I believe it is a honor and blessing to be able to read and understand Arabic.
Wish I understood Arabic eveN half as well as I did English

islam_best

Assalaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakathuu,

Dear sister HappyMuslimah,

Do you give khatams?Astagfirallah!!!! It is haraam sister.But i dont want to jump on any coclusions and want to know if you really do so. As far as reading the Qur'an if we just read it in arabic, those of us who dont understand arabic, what will be the use if you dont understand what's written in it????? Supposingly if your teacher gives you a book to read,but you dont understand the language of it but know to read it and the next day your teacher asks you questions from it, what will you answer.Similarly if you dont understand the Quran how will you follow Allah's commandments, cuz when Allah Azwajal will ask you as to why didnt you follow My commandment will you say that i didnt understand Arabic?????? Sister seeking knowdlege with full understanding and sicerety is the only way to success, especially in these times in which we are living.Ponder over what i have said,sister,Inshalllah if Allah Azwajal wishes He will guide us to the right path throughout our lives till our daeths Inshallah and grant usa Jannatalfirdous in the hereafter.Ameen Ya Mujeen,Ameen Ya Rahmaan.Ameen.

Wassalaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakathuu.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam

Dear sister HappyMuslimah,

Do you give khatams?Astagfirallah!!!! It is haraam sister.But i dont want to jump on any coclusions and want to know if you really do so. As far as reading the Qur'an if we just read it in arabic, those of us who dont understand arabic, what will be the use if you dont understand what's written in it????? Supposingly if your teacher gives you a book to read,but you dont understand the language of it but know to read it and the next day your teacher asks you questions from it, what will you answer.Similarly if you dont understand the Quran how will you follow Allah's commandments, cuz when Allah Azwajal will ask you as to why didnt you follow My commandment will you say that i didnt understand Arabic?????? Sister seeking knowdlege with full understanding and sicerety is the only way to success, especially in these times in which we are living.Ponder over what i have said,sister,Inshalllah if Allah Azwajal wishes He will guide us to the right path throughout our lives till our daeths Inshallah and grant usa Jannatalfirdous in the hereafter.Ameen Ya Mujeen,Ameen Ya Rahmaan.Ameen.

Wassalaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakathuu.

I am wondering , what is khatams ??

hidaya

assalamualikum
i dont understand why people think if u r an arab one can read the quran pretty fast and understand it whereas if one is not a non-arab its the opposite,its just ur misconceptions,take my example for instance ,i come from southern part of india and the person or ustad who taught me quran if u hear him u will never say he is an indian and vast majority of scholars from my part of the country can give the correct meaning of any verse from anywhere in the quran in my language,how they interpret it is different, but dats another topic.ALLAH has made the learning of quran easy to everybody arab and non arab alike.but if u r an non arab u must have base in arabic so u can understand its meaning,i think dats a must, but the effort needed after dat for an arab and a non arab is the same.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
i think it all depends on circumstances....

sometimes fast to finish the Quran in a month like Ramadan.

sometimes slow to ponder over its meanings.

but we have to make sure that we pronounce the words properly and give proper respect to the Book of Lord of Universe.

and Allah knows best

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
allah has said us to recite quran in melodious voise, and we should not read quran speed (asthagfiruallah)...
alla hu ya'lamu

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
assalamualikum
i dont understand why people think if u r an arab one can read the quran pretty fast and understand it whereas if one is not a non-arab its the opposite,its just ur misconceptions,take my example for instance ,i come from southern part of india and the person or ustad who taught me quran if u hear him u will never say he is an indian and vast majority of scholars from my part of the country can give the correct meaning of any verse from anywhere in the quran in my language,how they interpret it is different, but dats another topic.ALLAH has made the learning of quran easy to everybody arab and non arab alike.but if u r an non arab u must have base in arabic so u can understand its meaning,i think dats a must, but the effort needed after dat for an arab and a non arab is the same.

و عليكم السلام ورحمة الله و بركاته
Ma sha'a Allah , it's really a happy thing .
also I hear in TV some recitings from non Arab readers , It's so beautiful .

I believe it is a honor and blessing to be able to read and understand Arabic.
Wish I understood Arabic eveN half as well as I did English

In sha'a Allah you will , soon :)

islam_best

Khatam is a practice widespread in Pakistan and a little less in India. When a person dies, his/her relatives gathe on his death anneversary, the day he passed away and recite the Quran as well as Surah Ya Sin, that is they do good deeds which are intented to be done for the sake of the deceased so that he will get the reward of these deeds.It is wrong!!!Common sense, when we read the Quran and do good deeds in the name of that person how is he/she going to benefit from it.Its like a person drinks alcohol and the says to his mother to go and do a good deed so that his sin is forgiven!!! Completely illogical......We can only supplicate for him,make Dua to the Almighty to grant him forgivness,reaward thats it.EVERY INDIVIDUAL IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS DEEDS ONLY AND NOT OTHERS.WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE TRUST AND WE HAVE TO ALONGWITH THE ALMIGHTY'S HELP FULLFILL IT.WE CANT ATTEND SCHOOL DO OUR REGULAR WORK AND STUDEIS AND THEN TELL SOMEONE ELSE TO WRITE OUR EXAMINATION PAPERS.Nabi Sallahualayhi wassalam only mad dua to Allah Azwajal to forgive other peoples sind and grant their duas.

Assalaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakathuu.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

Khatam is a practice widespread in Pakistan and a little less in India. When a person dies, his/her relatives gathe on his death anneversary, the day he passed away and recite the Quran as well as Surah Ya Sin, that is they do good deeds which are intented to be done for the sake of the deceased so that he will get the reward of these deeds.It is wrong!!!Common sense, when we read the Quran and do good deeds in the name of that person how is he/she going to benefit from it.Its like a person drinks alcohol and the says to his mother to go and do a good deed so that his sin is forgiven!!! Completely illogical......We can only supplicate for him,make Dua to the Almighty to grant him forgivness,reaward thats it.EVERY INDIVIDUAL IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS DEEDS ONLY AND NOT OTHERS.WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE TRUST AND WE HAVE TO ALONGWITH THE ALMIGHTY'S HELP FULLFILL IT.WE CANT ATTEND SCHOOL DO OUR REGULAR WORK AND STUDEIS AND THEN TELL SOMEONE ELSE TO WRITE OUR EXAMINATION PAPERS.Nabi Sallahualayhi wassalam only mad dua to Allah Azwajal to forgive other peoples sind and grant their duas.

Assalaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakathuu.

but brother u can do hajj on someones behalf (after u have done yours)and the reward will reach that person inshallah. even fasts.

‘Abdullaah ibn Buraydah reported that his father (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "While I was sitting with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), a woman came to him and said: ‘I gave my mother a slave-woman in charity, and now my mother has died.’ He said: ‘You have got your reward, and your right of inheritance has brought your gift back to you.’ She said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, she still had one month to fast – can I fast it on her behalf?’ He said, ‘Fast it on her behalf.’ She said, ‘She never went to Hajj – can I perform Hajj on her behalf?’ He said, ‘Perform Hajj on her behalf.’" (Muslim)

HappyMuslimah

Exams:Duas please!

... they do good deeds which are intented to be done for the sake of the deceased so that he will get the reward of these deeds.......We can only supplicate for him,make Dua to the Almighty to grant him forgivness,reaward thats it.

I do agree that the validity of khatams is questionable, and I can understand your point. But whilst khatams may be cultural in nature, they are not necessarily carried out for the sole purpose of doing good deeds on behalf of the deceased. Sometimes, it is for the good of the living. What better way to cope with grief than to recite the Holy Qur'an? Perhaps it is also a means of gathering the community together, and showing support for the relatives so they are not alone.

islam_best

Assalaaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakathuu,

I agree with you totally sister that the best way to cope with grief is the Qurand and also that gathering the community but you know i ave got some people over her who readll all these surahs then blow on the food which s prepared to be distributed and then all have a feast as if it were some celebration.Astaghfirallah!!!!!!!! Now i dont know if they do thid for the deceased or what???

May Allah grant us jannatulfirodous in the hereafter and grant us His shade on the day of judgment.Ameen Ya Mujeeb.Ameen Ya RAheem.Ameen Ya Allah.Ameen

WAssalaamlalaikum warhamatullahi wabarakathuu.