Another Ramadan Question....

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome....

This might sound crazy because its my first Ramadan so I never experienced this before. Please have patience with me and my silly questions.

I read that during Ramadan the shaitan is "locked up" so he is banned from disturbing us during our prayers. Is this TRUE??? Will I for once actually be able to pray without his annoying whispers??? This really sounds so lovely I dare to hope its true. If it is true I am so looking forward to my prayers in peace!

BetAmakeR

Love Allah
:wasalam:

Al-Bukhaari (1899) and Muslim (1079) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Ramadaan comes, the gates of Paradise are opened, the gates of Hell are closed, and the devils are chained up.”

The scholars differed as to the meaning of the devils being chained up in Ramadaan.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said, quoting al-Haleemi: It may be interpreted at meaning that the devils are not able to tempt the Muslims as they are at other times because they are busy with the fast which controls their desires, and with reading Qur’aan and dhikr (remembrance of Allaah). Another scholar – someone other than al-Haleemi – said that what is meant by the devils is some of them, namely the maarids (strong devils), who are chained up.

‘Iyaad said: it may be interpreted in a literal sense, and that is as a sign to the angels that the month has begun, and in veneration of its sanctity, and so as to prevent the devils from harming the Muslims. And it may be interpreted as referring to the great amount of reward and forgiveness, and that the devils tempt people less, so it is as if they are chained up. This second interpretation is supported by the fact that according to a report narrated by Yoonus from Ibn Shihaab which is recorded by Muslim it says “the gates of mercy are opened”. The chaining up of the devils may also be understood as a metaphor for them being unable to tempt people and make their whims and desires attractive to them. Al-Zayn ibn al-Muneer said: The first view is most likely to be correct, and there is no need to try to understand it in anything other than the literal sense.

Fath al-Baari, 4/114.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “and the devils are chained up,” – yet we still see people suffering from epilepsy during the day in Ramadaan, so how can the devils be chained up when some people are suffering epileptic fits?

He replied: In some versions of the hadeeth it says “and the strong devils (maarids) are chained up” – this is narrated by al-Nasaa’i. This hadeeth is speaking of matters of the unseen, so we have to accept it and not discuss it any further. This is safer for a person’s religious commitment. Hence when ‘Abd-Allaah, the son of Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal said to his father, “Some people suffer epileptics fits during the day in Ramadaan,” the Imam said: “This is what the hadeeth says and we do not discuss this.”

Moreover it seems that what is meant by their being chained up is that they are prevented from tempting people, based on the fact that there is a great deal of goodness and many people turn to Allaah during Ramadaan.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 20.

Based on this, the chaining up of the devils is something that happens in a real sense, about which Allaah knows best. This does not mean that evil things do not happen or that people do not commit sin.

When people commit sin and happen evil things, that is a result of the Nafs (your own desire). Your won desire is worse than the influence of the shaytaan. In Ramadaan you will find out what your weakness is, and a time to get rid of the sinning... Although one person shouldn't wait to stop sinning when ramadaan has started.

And Allaah knows best.

BetAmakeR

Love Allah
As salamo alaikome....

This might sound crazy because its my first Ramadan so I never experienced this before. Please have patience with me and my silly questions.

I read that during Ramadan the shaitan is "locked up" so he is banned from disturbing us during our prayers. Is this TRUE??? Will I for once actually be able to pray without his annoying whispers??? This really sounds so lovely I dare to hope its true. If it is true I am so looking forward to my prayers in peace!

Actually it toward refreshing my mind :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

MashaAllah brother has explained this fully. Sister we will see people doing sins in Ramadan also, including us, even though Shayateen are chained up. Remember that our Nafs is not a "friend" of us, and it is an "enemy". Therefore it will try to cover-up the works of Shayaateen also. However, due to the fasting, it will not have much power like in other months. Therefore it will be much easier for us to control our Desires in this month.

The strongest Desires of Human are Eating and Sex. In Ramadan, both of them are controlled. So Nafs will be so weak in having power over us.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi warakatuh

Almeftah

As salamo alaikome....

Some scholars said: Not all shaitans get locked up or chained (Only some of them), for there can be many sinners during Ramadan..

Others say all shaitans get locked up, And what causes some of us commit sins during Ramadan is our inner selves.

Either ways, one may face some difficulties in doing good.

q8penpals

Salam

With regards to this part of the post:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “and the devils are chained up,” – yet we still see people suffering from epilepsy during the day in Ramadaan, so how can the devils be chained up when some people are suffering epileptic fits?

Is this Sheikh actually saying that a medical condition is run by devils??

Epileptic fits are medically caused, and can be controlled (perhaps not completely) with changes in lifestyle and/or medication; so this posting does not seem to make sense to me.

Can someone please clarify this to me? Is this sheikh really comparing an epileptic seizure to devils?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Salam

With regards to this part of the post:

Is this Sheikh actually saying that a medical condition is run by devils??

Epileptic fits are medically caused, and can be controlled (perhaps not completely) with changes in lifestyle and/or medication; so this posting does not seem to make sense to me.

Can someone please clarify this to me? Is this sheikh really comparing an epileptic seizure to devils?

Translation issues perhaps?...or perhaps it is being connected to *demonic possession?!*...if sister Um Mustafa (baraka Allaho feeha) would be kind enough to put a link of the fatwa it would be great! (sister Um Mustafa..if you see this reply can you please provide *the link* to the fatwa you posted?!..Jazaki Allah Khair!)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Assalamualikum Sister , here is the link for my post , you can also read it in Arabic if you know it inshallah to see the translation,

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/39736/devil

W/salam
Um Mustafa

Ahsana Allaho ilayki ukhti!..I read the Arabic..and the translation is just fine alhamdulillah..the condition is mentioned for the reason I suspected it would be which is *demonic possession*..the latter post of yours clarifies this mashallah..I hope I did not cause you any hassle by searching for and putting the link..and Jazaki Allah Khair!

massi

As salamo alaikome....

W Alaikom Assalam , sister there is no silly questions !!you have to ask any question you need answer :SMILY335::SMILY335::SMILY335:

ShyHijabi

I am sorry but I totally diagree when someone says epilaepsy is caused by Jinn. Epilepsy is a clear cut medical condition that effects the brain. It can be treated by surgery, medication, and in some cases, lifestyle changes. (for those with seizures caused by low blood sugar)

I think it creates a dangerous precendent to try and blame a medical condition on Jinn, as it will discourage simple people from seeking medical help from professionals. For too long people have tried to blame seizures on demons, jinn, etc., I myself am epileptic and was cured through surgery, I seriously doubt surgery would've made a difference with Jinn.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Ahsana Allaho ilayki ukhti!..I read the Arabic..and the translation is just fine alhamdulillah..the condition is mentioned for the reason I suspected it would be which is *demonic possession*..the latter post of yours clarifies this mashallah..I hope I did not cause you any hassle by searching for and putting the link..and Jazaki Allah Khair!

Salams sister ,
it was no problem

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome......

Ok so I guess after reading everything posted in this thread I can STILL expect to hear the whispers during my prayers even in Ramadan!!! :girl3:

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Inshallah sister,
Ramadan is a truly blessed month and the feeling you get when you fast in this month is like no other, personally it seems so much easier to fast then at other times, please do not feel disappointed, inshallah as it is a blessed month you will find it easier to do you ibadda and find that it will be , with the right intentions very benifical to you,
may Allah Ta'laa rewards you and all the brothers and sisters for their efforts Ameen
your sister Um Mustafa

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
salams brother ,
can you please tell me if that means the web site we take our information from if wrong ? For I was of the opinion that Q and A islam site was highly rated and the shks. there very knowlegable?
MAybe you can advise me where I can find my information,
thank ing you in advance
Um Mustafa

massi

salams brother ,
can you please tell me if that means the web site we take our information from if wrong ? For I was of the opinion that Q and A islam site was highly rated and the shks. there very knowlegable?
MAybe you can advise me where I can find my information,
thank ing you in advance
Um Mustafa
The Fatwa says :
Is epilepsy caused by the jinn?​
Since epilepsy is caused by jinn, how do we explain the black woman who came to the Prophet (saaws) asking for him to invoke Allah for her cure of her illness of epilepsy and coming uncovered, but there was no mention of jinn possession? Or is there a mistake in translation and it wasn't really epilepsy?

Praise be to Allaah. Epilepsy in most cases is caused by the jinn, and in some cases by some defect in the body, brain or nerves, or mood swings, or some weakness in the physical structure. All of these may cause loss of consciousness or unbalanced behavior. The black woman’s epilepsy may have been caused by the jinn, but there was no need to mention the cause, which is why the narrators only mentioned what needs to be done when epilepsy occurs, for whatever reason, of making du’aa’ and performing ruqyah, or bearing it with patience and seeking the reward from Allaah.
Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr
The hadeeth about the black woman is narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (5652) and Saheeh Muslim (2576). In some versions of the hadeeth there is an indication that her epilepsy was caused by the jinn. For example, in a version narrated by al-Bazzaar, she said, “I am afraid that the evil one may cause me to become uncovered.” Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said: “It may be understood from some of the different versions of the hadeeth that what Umm Zafar was suffering from was the kind of epilepsy caused by the jinn and not that which results from dysfunction in the brain.”
Fath al-Baari, hadeeth no. 5652.

Islam Q&A