is it true, that we should not use tooth paste

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
:salam2: brothers and sisters..
well, i have a doubt regarding tooth paste...
well, as per in my country (saudi arabia) we used to use miswak as our tooth paste..
and now, here in india, i was using tooth paste(not miswaak), so one of my aunt said me that we should not use tooth paste as it brakes our fast , as we have to use miswaak..
so, is it really true..does tooth paste brake our fast?
i hope you understand.
jasakallah khair

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
toothpaste do not break fast and are allowed but it should not enter your throat. but using it is discouraged while fasting if no geniine need.

if it enters down the throat, some scholars says the fast gets invalid. so one have to be very careful.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh sister. Sheikh Salih ibn Uthaymen (RA) said that a person should NOT use toothpaste when brushing their teeth during their fasting.

But let me tell you a good technique that you can use while using the Miswak:

1.) Put a handful of water in your mouth, put your head back, and gurgle (when the water reaches the back of your mouth), and spit out all the water and mucous (the sticky and slimy stuff that you notice in the back of your mouth when you wake up or finish eating) out.

Do this step repeatedly until you have cleaned out ALL of the slimy stuff at the back of your mouth (by gurgling and spitting out the water along with the spit and and mucous).

2. After step one is complete and done, put another handful of water in your mouth and this time swoosh the water around in the inside of your mouth (to wash away the bacteria that gets collected in it), and spit it out.

Do so repeatedly , until you have felt that you have it cleaned really well.

Now, as for something such as bad odour coming from someone's mouth, well bad smell comes mainly from the back of a person's mouth (and THEN their tongue), and so it's EXTREMELY important that you gurgle water in the back of your mouth and spit out all of the water and slimy mucous that comes out, and then you start swooshing water around the inside of your mouth.

Doing so, your mouth with have a more cleaner feeling to it, and so now take your Miswak, and brush the front of your teeth, then the other side, and then your ENTIRE tongue, and leave the back of your mouth for last. IF you gurgled correctly, then you will NOT get any slimy mucous onto your miswak or toothbrush.

And you when gurgling out the mucous, you'll notice that it's thick and might have a color to it. Keeping gurgling and spitting until NO MORE THICK MUCOUS COMES OUT, and THEN try swooshing water inside your mouth and when you spit it out, you'll notice "bubbles" because of the bacteria, and so keep swooshing water and spitting it out till the amount of "bubbles" decreases, and THEN start using the Miswak.

Using the Miswak Alhamdulillah, helps to clean one's mouth up of bacteria, and makes a person's mouth fresh without leaving ANY smell from their mouth, as long as a person follows all of these steps correctly, then Inshallah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla, everything will go fine. :)

yafash

Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh sister. Sheikh Salih ibn Uthaymen (RA) said that a person should NOT use toothpaste when brushing their teeth during their fasting.

But let me tell you a good technique that you can use while using the Miswak:

1.) Put a handful of water in your mouth, put your head back, and gurgle (when the water reaches the back of your mouth), and spit out all the water and mucous (the sticky and slimy stuff that you notice in the back of your mouth when you wake up or finish eating) out.

Do this step repeatedly until you have cleaned out ALL of the slimy stuff at the back of your mouth (by gurgling and spitting out the water along with the spit and and mucous).

2. After step one is complete and done, put another handful of water in your mouth and this time swoosh the water around in the inside of your mouth (to wash away the bacteria that gets collected in it), and spit it out.

Do so repeatedly , until you have felt that you have it cleaned really well.

Now, as for something such as bad odour coming from someone's mouth, well bad smell comes mainly from the back of a person's mouth (and THEN their tongue), and so it's EXTREMELY important that you gurgle water in the back of your mouth and spit out all of the water and slimy mucous that comes out, and then you start swooshing water around the inside of your mouth.

Doing so, your mouth with have a more cleaner feeling to it, and so now take your Miswak, and brush the front of your teeth, then the other side, and then your ENTIRE tongue, and leave the back of your mouth for last. IF you gurgled correctly, then you will NOT get any slimy mucous onto your miswak or toothbrush.

And you when gurgling out the mucous, you'll notice that it's thick and might have a color to it. Keeping gurgling and spitting until NO MORE THICK MUCOUS COMES OUT, and THEN try swooshing water inside your mouth and when you spit it out, you'll notice "bubbles" because of the bacteria, and so keep swooshing water and spitting it out till the amount of "bubbles" decreases, and THEN start using the Miswak.

Using the Miswak Alhamdulillah, helps to clean one's mouth up of bacteria, and makes a person's mouth fresh without leaving ANY smell from their mouth, as long as a person follows all of these steps correctly, then Inshallah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla, everything will go fine. :)

Asalam alaykum,

Well said but one has to be careful when one puts water in one's mouth while fasting.

Thanks for the info.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

One reason I refrain from using toothpaste is the amount of sugar that is put into it. Yuck!!! There are so many unnatural ingredients.
I use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide ( make a paste ). It is better. The difference is amazing. Then I use a miswak.