The Ottoman Sultans and Caliphs

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum [Peace be upon you],

I started a thread called "The Abbasid Caliphate" a short time ago. One of the brothers asked me to post some information and family charts of the Ummayads and the Ottomans. I thought it's best to open a separate thread for each dynasty.

This dynasty was started by Othman son of Ertuğrul, and therefore the dynasty's name comes from this man. It was only one of many states that occupied Anatolia. It grew in size and extended its territory into Europe. Under Muhammad II, the city of Constantinople (present day Istanbul) was taken in 1453 CE, thus ending the Eastern Roman Empire (also known as the Byzantine Empire).

Selim I continued the conquests, and he took Egypt, As-Shaam and the Hijaaz region (containing the cities of Mecca and Madinah). He was the first ruler (as far as I know) to call himslef Khaadim Al-Haramain As-Sharifain (translated to "Servant of the Two Holy Sanctuaries). In 1517, he also became the Caliph of all Muslims since the last Abbasid Caliph in Egypt was forced to abdicate his position.

Sulaimaan I's reign saw the Ottoman Empire reach great heights of glory. Vienna (the capital of present day Austria) was besieged for the first time in his reign. Sadly, the Ottomans could not take the city on this time or on the second siege of the city later on.

Then came a period of decline. The Empire began to lose territory in many stages. Abdul-Hamid II ruled from 1879-1909 CE, and he tried to save what was left of the Empire. One of his major accomplishments was the building of the Hijaaz Railway from Damascus to Madinah. In the short period this line operated, the pilgrims' journey was made much easier. He was forced to abdicate.

The Ottoman Empire sided with Germans the Austro-Hungarians in the First World War (1914-1918 CE), and that was the last straw. It continued in name only after the war (confined to present day Turkey). The last Caliph (Abdul-Majid II) ruled only from 1922-1924 CE, and then the Caliphate was abolished and a secular state was formed, led by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. Abdul-Majid II was exiled and died in Paris (France) in 1944.

The following are four family tree charts showing the lineage of the Ottoman Sultans (and later Caliphs). The last name in each chart is also the first in the following chart. So, for example, the first chart ends with "Mehmed II" (i.e. Muhammad II) and the second chart also begins with "Mehmed II".

ottoman1.gif

ottoman2.gif

ottoman3.gif

ottoman4.gif

And the following shows a map of the Ottoman Empire and its acquisitions up to the year 1683 CE:

OttomanEmpireIn1683.png

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Manaal_e_Afghan

Walaikum salaam wr wb

MashAllah Great information
Jazakumu'Allah Khair
I love to study the islamic History specially after Khulafa e rashideen
InshAllah i'll do so very soon
May Allah swt bless you Ameen...!

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
Wow! To think this dynasty just ended in the early 1900s is mind boggling!!!

Thnx for sharing!

Bluegazer

To sister Summer03:

Thank you for your kind words.

You wrote the following:
Wow! To think this dynasty just ended in the early 1900s is mind boggling!!!

It is mind boggling. Less than one hundred years from this day, the Muslims had a Caliph. It all went downhill from the First World War.

Bluegazer

I'd like to add that the beginning of the decline was way back before the First World War, but that this War was the last straw.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
jazaak Allah khair brother.

u r making me obsessed with Muslim Empires :)

i'll request u now for info about Fatimid, Safivid and Mughal empires also.

thx in advance.

dilek

OntheWayOf ALLAH
this is the same of our history lessons :) :) hehehe
in the lesson it was boring always but seeing here is great ;) we have great ancestors :SMILY346: