The Umayyad Caliphate

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum [Peace be upon you],

Continuing the 'series' about the dynasties that ruled the Muslim World (or large parts of it) as Caliphs, the following is some brief information about the Umayyads.

The founder of this dynasty was Mu'aawiyah son of Abu Sufyaan [may Allah be pleased with him and his father]. He was a Companion of the Prophet [peace be upon him].

The capital of the Muslim Empire was Damascus. There was great expansion in the territory of the Muslim World in their time. For example, Al-Andalus (present day Spain and Portugal) was conquered.

They ruled from 41 to 132 AH (661 to 750 CE). Under their rule, the Muslim World had only one leader (in name and in real authority) and no Muslim state got out of their authority. [**Note: Please read my post #5 below about the phrase "and no Muslim state got out of their authority"**]

From the dates mentioned above, you'll notice that they only ruled for about ninety years. They were massacred by the Abbasid forces, and the last Umayyad Caliph (Marwan son of Muhammad) was killed in Egypt while trying to escape.

But there was one of the Umayyads who did manage to escape. His name was Abdur-Rahman son of Mu'aawiya son of Hisham. His grandfather (Hisham) was a Caliph. He eventually reached Al-Andalus (modern day Spain and Portugal) and -for the first time in the history of Muslims- managed to split a part of the Muslim world from the authority and control of the Caliph. He founded the Ummayyah State in Al-Andalus, which would exist for nearly three centuries and which kept this region united under one banner.

It should be noticed that Abdur-Rahman (known as Ad-Daakhil) did not claim to be the rightful Caliph. He only styled himslef as the Amir (prince) of Al-Andalus. One of his descendants, Adur-Rahman III, began calling himself a Caliph. This was partly in response for the Fatimids (an Isma'ili Shi'a dynasty) claiming that title. But the Abbasids were already Caliphs, and there could be no two legitimate Caliphs of the Muslim world at any one time.

As with every dynasty, there were some good characteristics and some bad ones. The famous pious Caliph, Umar son of Abdul-Aziz, belonged to this dynasty.

The following is a chart showing the genealogy of the Umayyad Caliphs. It's not the best one on the net (in terms of artistic style), but it's the most accurate I've managed to find. The only mistake I found was that it referred to Abu Sufyan's daughter (and sister of Mu'aawiyaa) as "Habiba". They should have written "Umm Habiba", because that was the popular name of Ramla daughter of Abu Sufyan [may Allah be pleased with her and her father]. She was also one of the Mothers of the Believers [i.e. a wife of Prophet Muhammad -peace be upon him-]

umayyads.jpg

And the following is a map showing the conquests of the Umayyads. You can clearly see that these conquests are coloured light brown:

caliph.gif

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Bluegazer

Thank you, brother ayman1, for your kind words of encouragement.

You wrote:

It warms my heart to no end to see how my native country of Egypt was one of the earliest countries to turn to Islam

I'm not sure if you're aware of the following hadith (saying of the Prophet -peace be upon him-):
إنكم ستفتحون مصر . وهي أرض يسمى فيها القيراط . فإذا فتحتموها فأحسنوا إلى أهلها . فإن لهم ذمة ورحما . أو قال : ذمة وصهرا . فإذا رأيت رجلين يختصمان فيها في موضع لبنة ، فاخرج منها . قال : فرأيت عبدالرحمن بن شرحبيل بن حسنة وأخاه ربيعة ، يختصمان في موضع لبنة ، فخرجت منها​

[Reported in Sahih Muslim, no. 2543]

I'm in a hurry now, and that's why I didn't translate the hadith into English. I assume you're good in Arabic. If I was wrong, I apologize, and I'll try and translate it as soon as possible,

Bluegazer

In post #1, I wrote the following about the Umayyads:

They ruled from 41 to 132 AH (661 to 750 CE). Under their rule, the Muslim World had only one leader (in name and in real authority) and no Muslim state got out of their authority.

When I wrote "and no Muslim state got out of their authority", that's not entirely true. I forgot to mention the period of Abdullah ibn (son of) Az-Zubair [may Allah be pleased with him and his father]. He was one of the young Comapnions of the Prophet [peace be upon him]. He was born in Madinah. His father was Az-Zubair ibn (son of) Al-Awwaam, one of the ten men who were told (in one hadith) that they'll enter Heaven. His mother was Asmaa' bint (daughter of) Abu Bakr [may Allah be pleased with her and her father]. So, Aisha bint (daughter of) Abu Bakr [may Allah be pleased with her] was his aunt, the sister of his mother. And it's well known that Aisha was one of the wives of Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him].

He refused to pledge allegiance to Yazid ibn (son of) Mu'aawiyah, and then later on (from around 64 AH) he called on the masses to pledge allegiance to him as the Caliph. Most parts of the Muslim World recognised him as the legitimate Caliph. These were Hijaaz, Egypt, many parts of As-Shaam, Yemen, Iraq and Khurasaan.

Marwaan ibn (son of) Al-Hakam [one of the Umayyads] did not pledge allegiance to Abdullah son of Az-Zubair, and the former held the city of Damascus and the surounding areas.

So, a civil war broke out. And this contiuned past the death of Marwaan. Adbul-Malik (Marwaan's son) took up the fight. Eventually, it was he who won, and the civil war ended with Abd-Allad ibn Az-Zubair's death in Mecca in 74 AH.

From that date, Abdul-Mailik ibn Marwaan was recogniaed as the Caliph.

Best regards,

Bluegazer