Does it sound a little......

Al-Indunisiy

:salam2:

Do not learn the language of the non-Arabs, and do not enter upon them in their churches on their festivals, for indeed wrath descends upon them.”
‘Abd Al-Razzâq Al-San’ânî, Al-Musannaf Vol.1 p411.

“As for becoming accustomed to talking to one another in a language other than Arabic, which is the symbol of Islam and the language of the Qur’an, so that this becomes a habit in the land, with one’s family and household members, with one’s friends, in the marketplace, when addressing government representatives or authority figures or when speaking to people of knowledge, undoubtedly this is makrooh (disliked), because it involves being like the non-Arabs, which is makrooh, as stated previously.

Why does this sound a little supremacist or imperialistic to me? Can anyone explain? And what about us who are not Arabs?

:wasalam:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
firstly, i am not sure about the authenticity of this Hadith.

secondly, its not about racism, (Islam forbids it)..its about having unity in culture and social life.

when muslims spread far and wide, arabic too spread. it was official language of world some time before.

half of muslim world dont speak arabic (india, pakistan, bangladesh, indonesia, etc). does that mean that we are not good muslims? of course not.

Allah sees our hearts brother.

Bluegazer

Assalaum Alaikum [Peace be unto you],

To brother Al-Indunisiy:

The saying you posted was attributed to Umar ibn Al-Khattab [may Allah be pleased with him]:

Al-Bayhaqi reported with a saheeh isnaad in Baab karaahiyat al- dukhool 'ala ahl al-dhimmah fi kanaa'isihim wa'l-tashabbuh bihim yawmi nawroozihim wa maharjaanihim (Chapter on the abhorrence of entering the churches of ahl al-dhimmah on the occasion of their New Year and other celebrations): From Sufyaan al-Thawri from Thawr ibn Yazeed from 'Ata' ibn Deenaar who said: 'Umar said: "Do not learn the language of the non-Arabs, do not enter upon the mushrikeen in their churches on their feast-days, for the wrath (of Allaah) is descending upon them."

Source: http://www.islamhouse.com/tp/52988

Now, let's analyze this saying:

1- It is not a saying of Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him]

2- Umar ibn Al-Khattab [may Allah be pleased with him] may have said this. Perhaps more scholars of hadith are needed to study this saying and verify whether it was truly said by Umar.

3- You posted the saying as follows:

Do not learn the language of the non-Arabs, and do not enter upon them in their churches on their festivals, for indeed wrath descends upon them.”

However, you failed to underline the really important text in this saying. I think it should be like this:

“Do not learn the language of the non-Arabs, and do not enter upon them in their churches on their festivals, for indeed wrath descends upon them.”

In the time of Umar ibn Al-Khattab, the majority of non Arabs were not Muslim. Therefore, being non Arab at that time meant (mostly) the same as being non Muslim. Umar ibn Al-Khattab became Leader of the Faithful (the Caliph) only after two years of the death of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). In his time, there was a large expansion in the territory of Muslims.

And the text, which I underlined, shows the reason for his statement. These non Arabs were not Muslims, and their religious festivities therefore are against Islam.

4- Please remember that Allah the Almighty said:

O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allâh is that (believer) who has At-Taqwâ [i.e. he is one of the Muttaqûn (the pious. See V.2:2)]. Verily, Allâh is All-Knowing, All-Aware.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 49:13]

Source: http://qurancomplex.org/Quran/Targama/Targama.asp?nSora=49&l=eng&nAya=13#49_13

And please remember that Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him] said:

يا أيها الناس إن ربكم واحد ألا لا فضل لعربي على عجمي و لا لعجمي على عربي و لا لأحمر على أسود و لا لأسود على أحمر إلا بالتقوى إن أكرمكم عند الله أتقاكم
الراوي: جابر بن عبدالله المحدث: الألباني - المصدر: غاية المرام - الصفحة أو الرقم: 313
خلاصة الدرجة: صحيح

My translation:

"O people, your Lord is One. For there is no advantage for an Arab over a non Arab, nor for a non Arab over an Arab, nor for a Red over a Black, nor for a Black over a Red except by Taqwa [piety]. The most honourable of you with Allah is the most pious."

Narrator: Jaabir ibn Abdullah. Muhaddith (i.e, the scholar of hadith who studied it): Al-Albaani. Source: Ghaayat Al-Maraam. Page or number: 313. The summary of the degree: Saheeh [authentic]

-------

To brother ahmed_indian:

You wrote:

half of muslim world dont speak arabic (india, pakistan, bangladesh, indonesia, etc). does that mean that we are not good muslims? of course not

Actually, non Arabs Muslims outnumber Arab Muslims by 4:1. So, in every 5 Muslims in the world today, 4 are non Arab! That's much more than a half.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
As Sanaa'ani was an arab .So he said do not learn the language of the non arab , which is not his mother tongue...which probably he find no benefit in learning...

Put yourself in his shoes , then you will understand.

I dont think it sound supremacist.....

Al-Indunisiy

The Second Question

But then again, I just remembered that the quotation continues as :

Hence when the early Muslims went to live in Syria and Egypt, where the people spoke Byzantine Greek, and in Iraq and Khurasan, where the people spoke Farsi, and the Maghrib (North Africa) where the people spoke Berber, they taught the people of those countries to speak Arabic, so that Arabic became the prevalent language in those lands, and all the people, Muslim and kafir alike, spoke Arabic. Such was also the case in Khurasan in the past, then they became lax with regard to the language and got used to speaking Farsi until it became prevalent and Arabic was forgotten by most of them. Undoubtedly this is makrooh.

From Iqtida’ al-Sirat al-Mustaqeem, 1/206-207 by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah)

Does it still holds the same?