was life better without TV/internet?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

were we better without these two?

our predecessors had no temptations of music, movies, chatting with opposite gender...practicing Islam was much easier for them. these two have brought down moral values and increased crimes.

of course, there are lots of Islamic benefits from them, but very few use TV and internet for Islamic knowledge and to become better muslims.

mostly i see, ppl using using for music, movies, facebook, etc. its hard for many to avoid them as its so much available and so easily accessible since "man was created weak".

v can propagate Islamic knowledge frm masjids, Islamic centers, gatherings, etc.

PS: i m speaking generally, keeping in mind that TV/internet has brought Islamic message to many which would not have been easy otherwise.

salam alaykum

these things were created intentionally to divert us from Islam cause ibless the dog will do everything to make us go astray cause he wants alot of partners in hell with him!!!!!!!!!!.........i say this cause these things are used mostly for haraam and only a minute percent use it for good....so when the majority outdoes the minority then it is better to have these things removed i believe or mayb under strict observation from trustworthy and respected elders!

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
salam alaykum

these things were created intentionally to divert us from Islam cause ibless the dog will do everything to make us go astray cause he wants alot of partners in hell with him!!!!!!!!!!.........i say this cause these things are used mostly for haraam and only a minute percent use it for good....so when the majority outdoes the minority then it is better to have these things removed i believe or mayb under strict observation from trustworthy and respected elders!

u just spoke my mind brother. 100% agree! :)

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
The internet can be used for good or evil, it depends on how the person is using it. Its not the internet itself. In the Prophets time, these things did not exist and life was much simpler, mashallah.

We make the choices on what to do with what we have. We make the decisions on how we use the resources we have.:hijabi: Allah truly knows best.:blackhijab:

BinKhadija

An Akhu
Asslam'u Alykum,

It all is dependent on how one is going to use TV etc. Good or bad way? And on their definations of good and bad! An atheist feels pride in putting some stuff on evolution; where Muslims feel satisfied when they learn about their religious matters, recite Quran and participate in on-line Muslim world.

And as for how many Muslims take real advantage from these facilities, we should remember only a small fraction of people would go down sirat-e-mustaqeem. It's been the same way in Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)'s time and it's the same today.

brand-new22

:salam2:,

were we better without these two?

our predecessors had no temptations of music, movies, chatting with opposite gender...practicing Islam was much easier for them. these two have brought down moral values and increased crimes.

of course, there are lots of Islamic benefits from them, but very few use TV and internet for Islamic knowledge and to become better muslims.

mostly i see, ppl using using for music, movies, facebook, etc. its hard for many to avoid them as its so much available and so easily accessible since "man was created weak".

v can propagate Islamic knowledge frm masjids, Islamic centers, gatherings, etc.

PS: i m speaking generally, keeping in mind that TV/internet has brought Islamic message to many which would not have been easy otherwise.

I believe that this stuff has taken over, unfortunatly. I wish I was living in the 20's or 30's when it wasn't like this and people ALL dressed modest. And people were always out doing things rather then inside the house or at a computer somewhere. Those would have been the days.

I also think that some good as come from TV and internet, but the fact that they are litterally taking over the world and peoples lives, sucks. Good things like cures and stuff have come out of things probably from the help on internet too.
I spend most of my free time on the computer, with the T.V. on for sound and light. Sadly, its hard to stop doing concidering I have school and papers to work on (what happend to the good ol' days when there wasn't computers to write your report on??? wouldn't that be nice at times... for me anyway)

I really hope things turn all the way around and go back to the days when everyone wasn't addicted to the computer and television. :)

I am sure there's good that you can find on the internet that's very helpful with Islam, concidering that is exactly where I came to know about it. Besides someone telling me they are a muslim and me being interested, I most likely wouldn't know what I do today about Islam if it wheren't for the internet.

Anyways, I've said what I wanted to say. Weither it has anything really do with what you where saying well, oops.

See ya later!

W'salam

Phoyage

Salam Alykiom,
It is true that internet/tv has made it difficult. But this is one of the signs, not sure of the wording there is a hadith that says there is a fatna that will enter every arabs home. It could be of the Communiction. And Allah Knows Best.
But I'm not sure of this 1 and if some1 is please correct me:
That people in today's time get up to 50 times the reward if they act like the Prophet's companions. So they asked why. The prophet said bcause of the fitan.
P.S.
EID MUBARAK...SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Akhee....our pious predecessors [radhiallaahu anhum] most likely had more temptations than us.....I really think it is incorrect to say things like that because our pious predecessors were humans.....and they didn't have any sort of special powers that made them immune to temptations....
Our pious predecessors were not fools like most of us today.....Allaah [Aza Wajjal] chose them among all the creations of the earth to be the best of generations the world has ever seen as stated in the hadith of the prophet salalahu a'layhi wassallam:

i was not talking about first 3 generations actually. i was speaking of simple life just 50-100 years ago.

there was hardly any problem regarding watching half-clad actress, music, etc.

also TV/internet was not spreading fitnah of alcohol, affairs, women desiring to wear shorter and tighter clothes,etc.

it was much easier to come closer to Allah.

arzafar

It's hard to say because i have always had a tv and later on internet at home. However i believe it depends on how you use it. A sword can be used to fight for Allah and against Allah. Similarly tv/internet may be used either way.
come to think of it without the internet, id never access this wonderful community of TTI. ;)

:salam2:

ya allah madad

0mm3afnan
Assaalaamu A'laykum Wara'hmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

Akhee it doesn't matter what generation you were talking about....the statements you typed in my opinion are incorrect......assuming Islam was piece of cake for people before us and for us its very hard......Its the exact opposite akhee....Islam is much easier for us to follow and it was harder for them [our predcessors]. We have blessings upon blessings upon us yet most of us are still ungrateful..... We have many Qura'an and Hadith books on our shelves but did our pious predecessors [may Allaah Aza Wajjal be pleased with them all. Ameen] have them? We have technology to make our daily lives easy but did our predecessors have the same technology to make their lives easy for them? We have very fast transportation in various ways but did our predecessors have the same transportations? Etc...... You cannot say it was easy for them akhee. In the end it is WE that make the choices of watching T.V.,going on the Internet, looking at half naked girls, listening to music etc....

Please insha-Allaah do forgive me for anything I have said wrong or if I have hurted you in anyway.

Wa A'laykum Assaalaamu Wara'hmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

but we dont have the time to read them.
first i would not wach tv at all
then i started watching peace tv
then news channels
finally pakistani drama channels.
inshallah now i dont because i have heard its dajjal's eye and they let them watch what they want.
so a very few people use internet with good intentions but how about the majority?
top number 3 website visited in pakistan was a *!*!*!*!o website(gallop survey)
thanks to the media

Nurain

Assalamu alaykum all,

these days I don't know what's gotten over me but I have resorted to watching tv. I am aware that tv only perhaps has lesser than 10% of goodness, but the rest is ALL bad. uncovering of awrah, MUSIC especially, there is music everywhere!! i resorted to watching tv with the volume mute, you will realise my brothers and sisters, that the music itself pulls at your heart strings to be swayed. and tv i realise, takes us away from reality. we will forget akhirah, forget reality, forget life! forget Allaah!! when we watch an american show, we envision to be like that, so on and so forth. comedy makes us laugh and darken our hearts. reality show makes us succumb to temptation. so what is good?? talk shows dig up people's bad stories. i find no good in it, but i admit i am too weak to resist it sometimes.

may Allaah protect us from all that is not beneficial in this world & the hereafter..

here is a VERY sound ruling on watching tv, i must say, alhamdu lillaah:

Ruling on watching TV
Is watching TV permitted in Islaam ? If so under what coditions ?

Praise be to Allaah.

The issue of watching films is not free from numerous reservations from a shar’i point of view, such as uncovering ‘awraat, listening to music, spreading corrupt beliefs and calling for imitation of the kuffaar. Allaah has commanded us to lower our gaze, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allâh is All-Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts)” [al-Noor 24:30-31].

Since lowering the gaze is the basis of protecting the private parts, it is mentioned first. Allaah has made the eyes the reflection of the heart: if a person lowers his gaze, the desire in his heart will be reduced, but if a person looks and stares, the desire in his heart will be provoked.

In Saheeh Muslim (1218) it is reported that Al-Fadl ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) was riding behind the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on the Day of Sacrifice (Yawm al-Nahr) from Muzdalifah to Mina, when some women riding on camel-borne sedan chairs passed by. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) turned his [al-Fadl’s] head away. This was prevention and denunciation through action, for if looking were permissible he would have approved of what he did.

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (6343) it is reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every son of Adam has his share of zinaa decreed for him, and he will undoubtedly get his share. The eye commits zinaa and its zinaa is looking. The tongue commits zinaa and its zinaa is speaking; the feet commit zinaa and their zinaa is walking; the hands commit zinaa and their zinaa is touching. The heart longs and desires for something and the private parts confirm that or deny it.”

He began by mentioning the eye because this is how the zinaa of the hand, foot, heart and private parts begins. By mentioning the zinaa of the tongue, he pointed out that the mouth can commit zinaa by speaking. And he stated that the private parts can confirm that if they make the deed happen, or deny it if that does not happen.

This hadeeth gives the clearest indication that the eye can sin by looking and that this is its zinaa. This is a refutation to those who say that looking is allowed in all circumstances.

It was also reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O ‘Ali, do not follow a look with a second, for the first look is allowable but not the second.”

A look has the same effect on the heart as an arrow has on its victim. If it does not kill him, it will wound him. It is like a spark of fire in dried grass; if it does not burn all of it, it will still burn some of it. May Allaah have mercy on the one who said:

“Everything starts with a look, and big fires start from little sparks.

How often has a heart been dealt a fatal blow like that of an arrow, with no need for a bow.

As long as a man’s eyes are looking around, looking into the eyes of others, he is in a state of danger.

His eye delights in that which could destroy his heart. The joy that may lead to harm is not welcome.”

Hence Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Fataawa 3/227:

With regard to television, it is a dangerous device and its harmful effects are very great, like those of the cinema, or even worse. We know from the research that has been written about it and from the words of experts in Arab countries and elsewhere enough to indicate that it is dangerous and very harmful to Islamic beliefs (‘aqeedah), morals and the state of society. This is because it includes the presentation of bad morals, tempting scenes, immoral pictures, semi-nakedness, destructive speech, and Kufr. It encourages imitation of their conduct and ways of dressing, respect for their leaders, neglect of Islamic conduct and ways of dressing, and looking down on the scholars and heroes of Islam. It damages their image by portraying them in an off-putting manner that makes people despise them and ignore them. It shows people how to cheat, steal, hatch plots and commit acts of violence against others. Undoubtedly anything that produces so many bad results should be stopped and shunned, and we have to close all the doors that could lead to it. If some of our brothers denounce it and speak out against it, we cannot blame them, because this is a part of sincerity towards Allaah and towards other people.

Whoever thinks that this device (TV) can be free of these evils and can be used only for good purposes if it is censored properly is exaggerating and is making a big mistake, because the censor may miss things and most people nowadays want to imitate the foreigners. It is very rare to find censors who are doing their job properly, especially nowadays when most people are only interested in time-wasting entertainment and things that turn people away from true guidance. Reality bears witness to that.

We ask Allaah to keep us safe from all evil for He is the Most Generous.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Islam is much easier for us to follow and it was harder for them [our predcessors].

still not agree with u brother. :)

prophet :saw: told that a time will come when holding to islam will be like holding live coal in one's hand. and this is wht happening.

maybe u r correct for small minority muslims but i was talking about majority.

yes we do have gadgets, good transportation, communication but the fitnah too is great today.

just open tv/internet and there lots of girls, music, anti-muslim programmes. eg. the whole market has been dumped with short tight clothes for women...how many girls can avoid them? how many will prefer to wear loose clothes and veil?

LTFPeace

Assalaamu alaykum

As far as im concerned, if you watch junk you become junk, if you eat junk you become junk, if you read junk you become junk. so inshallah i try to restrict myself to watching educational programmes or videos about Islam, stick to a balanced diet, and primarily read and study Qur'an

TV and the internet can be a great medium through which one can communicate information, but quite simply, the majority of its content today is rubbish

may Allah (SWT) guide us and protect us. ameen