Question about women's salah

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

a women have to cover herself completely except face and hands in salah.

but many of my women relatives back home in india pray in their usual clothes. i.e. not covering upto elbows, showing neck,etc.

does that mean that their prayers are invalid?

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Based on Hanafi school, the prayer will be valid..

As for Shafee school, it will be invalid. So our women back home cover everything except their face. Allah knows best.

revert2007

Love Fishing
well i am afraid it is ot valid coz in islam a woman must cover her elbow,her neck when she is infront of her non mahram...a woman's awra is same when she is infront of non mahram and infront of Allah when she prays...

and all muslim women should pray the same way..islam is unity..there shouldn't be any difference among us...

ask them to cover their awra properly when they pray...they are facing Allah the Most Highest and ask them to gv respect to Him by covering their awra....pray as how the prophet pbuh prayed and as how his wives prayed

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
well i am afraid it is ot valid coz in islam a woman must cover her elbow,her neck when she is infront of her non mahram...a woman's awra is same when she is infront of non mahram and infront of Allah when she prays...

and all muslim women should pray the same way..islam is unity..there shouldn't be any difference among us...

ask them to cover their awra properly when they pray...they are facing Allah the Most Highest and ask them to gv respect to Him by covering their awra....pray as how the prophet pbuh prayed and as how his wives prayed

but they'll hardly listen to me. they'll answer that its beeen same since grandparents, great grandparents time.

also i ignorant modern-type muslim is changing their Islam....:)

lots of complications!

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Brother,

I'm not too sure about the evidence according to Hanafi school but I do go to masjid and one madrasah where the imam and congregation majority are Hanafi. My wife once asked me why the women not covering their feet. I was surprised also. So I asked few Hanafi ustaz they told me it is not obligatory according to Hanafi school.

You may read from this link for proof that feet must be covered:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/cat/59

Also consider following link:

The great Hanafi jurist, Imam al-Haskafi (Allah have mercy on him) states in his renowned Durr al-Mukhtar:

“The Awra for a free woman (i.e. not a slave, m) is her full body including her descending hair according to the correct opinion, except for the face, hands and feet”. (See Radd al-Muhtar, 1/405).

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131781

ummyasiin

Striving for Janatul firdous
ummm Im afraid I hav to agree with sis revert....I dont follow one school of thought personally, I strive to be like the wives of the prophet s.a.w and companions r.a.a to the best of abilities and always refrence thier way b4 a scholar more so imam. the hair and feet are to be coverd during the prayer. And honestly evn if I post proof it wouldnt matter bc at the end of the day ppl will do whats best for them. hus wanted to share my itti bitti knowledge. wasalaam. :)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I also always read and heard that you must must must cover your neck, your arms upto wrists etc. Feet seems to be a debatable topic, but at least the rest of you must be covered. Even here in India, I've never met a female who said its okay to keep your neck or your arms exposed. Please try and correct them brother. I know its difficult and people don't listen, (and your comment about ignorant modern muslims changing their Islam is so true its not even funny), but still I would advise to do try and change them. Maybe 1 or 2 of them will change, inshallah, if not all.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
ummm Im afraid I hav to agree with sis revert....I dont follow one school of thought personally, :)

Totally agree, recently I learned in my class that strictly following one mazhab and rejecting totally other opinion is called "ghuluw" (excessiveness). You may read about "Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qardawi on Excessiveness (Ghuluw) in Religion"

~Naz~

Allahu Akbar
There are some minor differences in prayers between the different schools of thought e.g positioning of hands, covering of feet. However, not covering the elbows and/or neck isn't one of them! Unlike Shafi, for Hanafi it is permissible for us to show the feet (but cover the 'foot's eye').

Coming to think of it, the way the face is covered also varies. Perhaps that is what was meant by the neck? If i remember correctly, I remember being taught that the Shafi should cover their face upto the chin area whilst Hanafi can tie their hijab slightly below. Whilst both schools of thought say a woman should leave the face open during salah, the definition of what constitutes the face varied.

Allah knows best.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

~Naz~

Allahu Akbar
some scholars say that an ordinary muslim must follow one school only as he doesnt know the deepness of laws. now its another confusion for me. :(

http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/ask.pl?q=9953&act=view

You cannot just follow one school of thought...depending on the circumstances i guess. Take for example, the things that nullify wudhu. In shafi, if a non mahram touches you even by mistake (including your spouse) your wudhu is nullified. However, In hanafi, wudhu is not nullified. If you are performing your Hajj, amidst all the Ummah, you cannot keep running all the way to take wudhu. So in such a scenario you follow the Hanafi madhhab.

Allah knows best.

IslamicGirl24

:salam2:,

a women have to cover herself completely except face and hands in salah.

but many of my women relatives back home in india pray in their usual clothes. i.e. not covering upto elbows, showing neck,etc.

does that mean that their prayers are invalid?

Wa alaykumus Salam.
The arms should be covered uptil the wrists. The legs should be covered uptil the ankles. And the head must be fully covered. Thats the Hanafi ruling, is it not?