Dua (Prayer) of Fasting

muslim_looking

The following dua (prayers) are recited at the beginning and end of the fast to indicate and affirm the intention of the fast.

A person's intention when fasting, is to bring him/herself closer to God.

Dua (Prayer) at the Beginning of the Fast
Wa bisawmi ghadinn nawaiytu min shahri ramadan
I intend to keep the fast for tomorrow in the month of Ramadan

Dua (Prayer) at the End of the Fast
Allahumma inni laka sumtu wa bika aamantu wa alayka tawakkaltu was ala rizq-ika-aftarhu
O Allah! I fasted for You and I believe in You and I put my trust in You and I break my fast with Your sustenance

Maha*

:salam2:

Jazaka allah khair, inshaa Allah, I will memorize these again, and start saying them.

:wasalam:

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)

JazakAllah khair for posting these , there is one question that i always had in my mind why do when saying:

we make the intention to fast for tommorrow but we are starting to fast right now when we say it? could someone explain plz?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
The following dua (prayers) are recited at the beginning and end of the fast to indicate and affirm the intention of the fast.

A person's intention when fasting, is to bring him/herself closer to God.

Dua (Prayer) at the Beginning of the Fast

Dua (Prayer) at the End of the Fast
Allahumma inni laka sumtu wa bika aamantu wa alayka tawakkaltu was ala rizq-ika-aftarhu
O Allah! I fasted for You and I believe in You and I put my trust in You and I break my fast with Your sustenance

I have read somewhere that the invocation that I have bolded above is of a dae'ef hadeeth (weak). It is better to avoid it.

Instead we should use duas from Saheeh transmissions that we have.
Please look at the link here :- http://www.islamawareness.net/Dua/Fortress/068.html

Both of these duas in that link are authentic Insha'Allah. :)

:wasalam: