Science and Islam - resources

amyaishazouaoui

:salam2:

I teach some young sisters science at a local mosque.
I was inshallah wanting to give them a little project to do thats islamic....so I was thinking science /scientists and islam.
The girls are about 12 years old but very bright and nthusiastic. If anyone has any resources online or suggestions, they will be greatfully recieved.

Jazakallah
:wasalam:

amyaishazouaoui

Faaaab

Jazakallah, thats really great, alhamdulillah, i can start somewhere. see get other people to help me whith my work. Im allowed, im a house wife, teacher mother and doing pgce.
Oh and i have time to write here tooo!!!

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

We have 3-4 qualified teachers at our school and 2 who are going through PGCE...

One of the brothers just left us to take up a position as a Deputy Head for his school in Birmingham...He has done a lot of good work in this area & he will be glad to help you if choose to contact him...Furthermore UK Islamic Mission had a seminar about the acheievments of Muslims in Science in all their Mosques across UK (about 3 months ago) so you can find your nearest Mosque and contact them via the web-site

http://www.ukim.org/DesktopDefault.aspx

I liked what they did Masha'Allah

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum All,

I have also used these links in the past, off course there are many more but these suffice for my limited research:

Muslim Contribution to Mathematics: http://members.tripod.com/worldupdates/newupdates10/id142.htm

Arabic mathematics : forgotten brilliance?:

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/Arabic_mathematics.html

Mathematics and Islam

http://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/~adrian/islam.html

Muslim Scientific Inventions

http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/history/muslim_inventors.html

MUSLIM SCIENTISTS AND ISLAMIC CIVILIZATION

http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/

Discover the Muslim Heritage in our world

http://www.1001inventions.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.viewSection&intSectionID=309

visionusman

being content

I teach some young sisters science at a local mosque.
I was inshallah wanting to give them a little project to do thats islamic....so I was thinking science /scientists and islam.
The girls are about 12 years old but very bright and nthusiastic. If anyone has any resources online or suggestions, they will be greatfully recieved.

Jazakallah
Have you come across the book titled " A brief Illustration of Islam"? That's quite simple and very good. There are other books ofcourse. but this is simple.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum All,

This thread is beginning to sadden me now because it reminds me of our glory days i.e. “When we were Kings” and look at us now!

Globalpeace: Now “Officially” Depressed!

amyaishazouaoui

Assalamu alaikum

LOL

Hey GP we will be back up there one day inshallah, just gotta give our kiddies something to aim for. When I wored in this other ilamic school, most of the kids didn't have any aspirations, parents thought the best thing in the worl was for them to go to mosque in the evening, theyweren't even concerned with giving their kids the equipment to get on in this life. Most of the kids were like "it don't matter, i'l claim. It really saddened me. Thats one reason why i want to become a qualified teacher, they need someone to look up to, to show them that there is more to life, to give them the enthusiams to "go" somewhere.

And...just think, if it wasn't for our sisters and brothers all those years ago, we probably woul be still stuck in the dark ages!! Mud huts, no electricity, no tv, subsistance farming, no heating, sitting round a log fire talking about the real things in life. Hang on....I think I would quite like to be there sometimes!!

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

I also help out at the Islamic school for the very reasons to make a DIFFERENCE & you are absolutely right about a lot of parents, childrens and even Brothers/Sisters lacking motivation to better themselves...

I deal with a lot of young UNI age Brothers/Sisters & their thoughts are depressing...Muslims often misunderstand the Ahadeeth like "Live in this World like a Traveller..."

visionusman

being content
Assalamu alaikum

LOL

Hey GP we will be back up there one day inshallah, just gotta give our kiddies something to aim for. When I wored in this other ilamic school, most of the kids didn't have any aspirations, parents thought the best thing in the worl was for them to go to mosque in the evening, theyweren't even concerned with giving their kids the equipment to get on in this life. Most of the kids were like "it don't matter, i'l claim. It really saddened me. Thats one reason why i want to become a qualified teacher, they need someone to look up to, to show them that there is more to life, to give them the enthusiams to "go" somewhere.

And...just think, if it wasn't for our sisters and brothers all those years ago, we probably woul be still stuck in the dark ages!! Mud huts, no electricity, no tv, subsistance farming, no heating, sitting round a log fire talking about the real things in life. Hang on....I think I would quite like to be there sometimes!!
Very interesting. What do you think will happen in the times when Christ Jesus AS will establish his rule. From my understanding the Imam Mahdi would have passed away and Gog Magog would have already caused a huge destruction. The forces loyal to the Christ AS would not have been able to defeat Gog and Magog. Isa AS would then pray to the Lord of the worlds Allah SWT for help. Allah SWT would cause an illness, an epidemic of some sort in the communities of Gog and Magog that will lead to their death. After which the rule of Isa AS will be established. Does it mean that most of the modern amenities of life would have been destroyed? Do you think you could live a very simple life with only the very basic amenities of life? Have you tried doing that?

I once went upto 19000 ft altitude on the Karakorum ranges as part of a mountaineering expedition. You learn to live with basics in those conditions. Believe me all that we crave for in life is make belief. Our requirements are based on our perceptions. It's all in the mind.

amyaishazouaoui

Very interesting. What do you think will happen in the times when Christ Jesus AS will establish his rule. From my understanding the Imam Mahdi would have passed away and Gog Magog would have already caused a huge destruction. The forces loyal to the Christ AS would not have been able to defeat Gog and Magog. Isa AS would then pray to the Lord of the worlds Allah SWT for help. Allah SWT would cause an illness, an epidemic of some sort in the communities of Gog and Magog that will lead to their death. After which the rule of Isa AS will be established. Does it mean that most of the modern amenities of life would have been destroyed? Do you think you could live a very simple life with only the very basic amenities of life? Have you tried doing that?

I once went upto 19000 ft altitude on the Karakorum ranges as part of a mountaineering expedition. You learn to live with basics in those conditions. Believe me all that we crave for in life is make belief. Our requirements are based on our perceptions. It's all in the mind.

I was simply just thinking how much I like the simple life, growing my own veg, picking mushrooms from the fields, eating outdoors on a camp fire that i lit myself,taking fresh water from the stream to cook my food, building my own shelter. I was brought up in the country and larned how to slaughter and pluck and gut a chicken by the age of about 6. I used to help my dad. Now I live in the city and how one day inshallah I will be blessed with enough resources to go back to the country, I miss it terribly. Even up until 10 years ago we used to get fresh spring water from a well.MIlk goats by hand.

It is such a pleasant but hard life, youve no time t watch tv or to fester about the bad things, you just get on.

visionusman

being content

I was simply just thinking how much I like the simple life, growing my own veg, picking mushrooms from the fields, eating outdoors on a camp fire that i lit myself,taking fresh water from the stream to cook my food, building my own shelter. I was brought up in the country and larned how to slaughter and pluck and gut a chicken by the age of about 6. I used to help my dad. Now I live in the city and how one day inshallah I will be blessed with enough resources to go back to the country, I miss it terribly. Even up until 10 years ago we used to get fresh spring water from a well.MIlk goats by hand.

It is such a pleasant but hard life, youve no time t watch tv or to fester about the bad things, you just get on.

JazakAllah! Assalamualaikum sister. I did not mean to criticise any one. I just thought you raised a very interesting point about life as it used to be and merely asked an open question. It was really impressive though, to learn that you used to get water from a well, till only 10 years ago. Did it have a different (or should I say better) taste?

Any way does anyone here think that life would become very basic when Isa AS would establish his rule? Have you ever thought what will happen to the internet, the media in general and all the life's amenities that we seem to have become used to? Are we prepared to return to basics? I mean complete basics. May Allah grant us wisdom and patience. InshAllah.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

I went back to PAKISTAN (where I was born and grown up for 14 years in an extremely upper-class background) for a month & just got back 3 days ago. The whole time I wore Socks because I hate getting dirt on my feet. I changed clothes everyday (& refused to have anyone iron my clothes because of my military background) because my clothes got crumbled and I hate to walk around in messed up clothes. I hated getting dry skin (because of hard water in many parts of Pakistan)...before critiscing me as a softy I would like to point out that I am Ex-Military [8 years] with most of my training with the Marines (as a Medic, recon, exercises the lot) so I can hack the hard stuff easily and without fuss but I don't like it. I was one of the best at what I did!

I enjoy a lot of camping and back-packing too (Nature, Country....Beautiful)

Sorry Sis! I admire your ambitions but give me a good, clean place, nice clothes and all the nice amenities of city life anyday; but I do like challenging holidays.

I can't imagine walking around (permanently) in crumbled clothes and messed up shoes with dirt on me...

Am I softy? I don't know maybe???

Br VisionUsman! If your assesment is correct ("Softies" like me will have a Problem)

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Almost forgot...When I lived in America I always went to the farm and slaughtered & skinned Cows, Sheep, Chicken (for us & everybody else)...Same in Haram during Hajj as most people have never done it (or are scared of Blood)....Can't do it in UK (well you can but NOT readily)

But I must admit I don't enjoy it because of the smell of blood/flesh stays in your hands/body for a while

The ironic part is that I don't even like meat but mostly I have/had to do all this for others.

I guess I am a bit of a Softy!