Swiss ban mosque minarets

reydyer

Swiss ban mosque minarets in surprise vote

Swiss ban mosque minarets in surprise vote

GENEVA – Swiss voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on minarets on Sunday, barring construction of the iconic mosque towers in a surprise vote that put Switzerland at the forefront of a European backlash against a growing Muslim population.

Muslim groups in Switzerland and abroad condemned the vote as biased and anti-Islamic. Business groups said the decision hurt Switzerland's international standing and could damage relations with Muslim nations and wealthy investors who bank, travel and shop there.

"The Swiss have failed to give a clear signal for diversity, freedom of religion and human rights," said Omar Al-Rawi, integration representative of the Islamic Denomination in Austria, which said its reaction was "grief and deep disappointment."

About 300 people turned out for a spontaneous demonstration on the square outside parliament, holding up signs saying, "That is not my Switzerland," placing candles in front of a model of a minaret and making another minaret shape out of the candles themselves.

"We're sorry," said another sign. A young woman pinned to her jacket a piece of paper saying, "Swiss passport for sale."

The referendum by the nationalist Swiss People's Party labeled minarets as symbols of rising Muslim political power that could one day transform Switzerland into an Islamic nation. The initiative was approved 57.5 to 42.5 percent by some 2.67 million voters. Only four of the 26 cantons or states opposed the initiative, granting the double approval that makes it part of the Swiss constitution.

Muslims comprise about 6 percent of Switzerland's 7.5 million people. Many are refugees from the Yugoslav wars of the 1990s and about one in 10 actively practices their religion, the government says.

The country's four standing minarets, which won't be affected by the ban, do not traditionally broadcast the call to prayer outside their own buildings.

The sponsors of the initiative provoked complaints of bias from local officials and human-rights group with campaign posters that showed minarets rising like missiles from the Swiss flag next to a fully veiled woman. Backers said the growing Muslim population was straining the country "because Muslims don't just practice religion."

"The minaret is a sign of political power and demand, comparable with whole-body covering by the burqa, tolerance of forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls," the sponsors said. They said Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan compared mosques to Islam's military barracks and called "the minarets our bayonets." Erdogan made the comment in citing an Islamic poem many years before he became prime minister.

Anxieties about growing Muslim minorities have rippled across Europe in recent years, leading to legal changes in some countries. There have been French moves to ban the full-length body covering known as the burqa. Some German states have introduced bans on head scarves for Muslim women teaching in public schools. Mosques and minaret construction projects in Sweden, France, Italy, Austria, Greece, Germany and Slovenia have been met by protests.

But the Swiss ban in minarets, sponsored by the country's largest political party, was one of the most extreme reactions.

"It's a sad day for freedom of religion," said Mohammed Shafiq, the chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, a British youth organization. "A constitutional amendment that's targeted towards one religious community is discriminatory and abhorrent."

He said he was concerned the decision could have reverberations in other European countries.

Amnesty International said the vote violated freedom of religion and would probably be overturned by the Swiss supreme court or the European Court of Human Rights.

The seven-member Cabinet that heads the Swiss government had spoken out strongly against the initiative but the government said it accepted the vote and would impose an immediate ban on minaret construction.

It said that "Muslims in Switzerland are able to practice their religion alone or in community with others, and live according to their beliefs just as before." It took the unusual step of issuing its press release in Arabic as well as German, French, Italian and English.

Sunday's results stood in stark contrast to opinion polls, last taken 10 days ago, that showed 37 percent supporting the proposal. Experts said before the vote that they feared Swiss had pretended during the polling that they opposed the ban because they didn't want to appear intolerant.

"The sponsors of the ban have achieved something everyone wanted to prevent, and that is to influence and change the relations to Muslims and their social integration in a negative way," said Taner Hatipoglu, president of the Federation of Islamic Organizations in Zurich. "Muslims indeed will not feel safe anymore."

The People's Party has campaigned mainly unsuccessfully in previous years against immigrants with campaign posters showing white sheep kicking a black sheep off the Swiss flag and another with brown hands grabbing eagerly for Swiss passports.

Geneva's main mosque was vandalized Thursday when someone threw a pot of pink paint at the entrance. Earlier this month, a vehicle with a loudspeaker drove through the area imitating a muezzin's call to prayer, and vandals damaged a mosaic when they threw cobblestones at the building.

krackpot

slave warrior caged
well you see now why islam prohibits DEMOCRACY and we muslims should accept SHARIAH LAW???
because democracy is the game of cowards to manipulate justice and house of corruption.

may all those anti muslim protesters become muslims....amin

hana*

yeah i saw that on t.v yesterday, its a sad reality but islam is the ememy for them, they cant take the fact that islam is the fastest growing religion in the world today

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
The right wing managed to scare the swiss by saying things like "Minarets are Muslim missiles!" and "First come minarets, then calls to prayer then Sharia law!"

It's so sad that 57.5% of the swiss can be so easily manipulated. I always thought they were highly educated.

Assalamu alaykum

being "educated" means little, its all about hearts.

I have been to Switzerland, have some family there, I found the Swiss to be quite rude and arrogant, they do not like any foreign people (who are Muslims).

You notice the difference between the people in much of Europe. The UK is a lot better than most of Europe, but its sliding down the same path of intolerance

hana*

Assalamu alaykum

being "educated" means little, its all about hearts.

I have been to Switzerland, have some family there, I found the Swiss to be quite rude and arrogant, they do not like any foreign people (who are Muslims).

You notice the difference between the people in much of Europe. The UK is a lot better than most of Europe, but its sliding down the same path of intolerance

yeah that is true, but also 1 in 4 people here in the uk openly admit to being racist. today at work the delivery driver told me how he hated all pakistanis, he said this to me because he knew i was not a pakistani and thought i wouldnt bother with his comment. you are right racism and islamophobia is deep rooted within the hearts and has nothing to do with education.

ManchesterNick

I've been following this story for some time now and am disappointed in the Swiss for voting this way, but this shows how a propaganda campaign can brainwash so many people. I've always found the Swiss an odd nation politically with their neutrality and all that. At the end of the day, the Swiss are Swiss and it's their own decision, albeit a sad decision for relations with Muslims.

Insha'Allah one day this will be overturned and Switzerland will follow the likes of the UK in the amount of mosques being built but I think it's important as Muslims that we do not act in an inflammatory manner on this decision but set an example that demonstrates that the way of Islam propagates a superior way of life.

shame its not news saying ' Christianity Is Dead ' instead .

Whilst this is an unrealistic headline, it would not be good news. At the end of the day, highly active Christians (especially Orthodox Christians in my opinion), are good people, 'People of the Book' and to wish this sort of thing is not helpful to the way of Islam.

ManchesterNick

i bet that really surpised alot of people, what i dont understand is how come they called them ' Missiles ' ? :|

I don't know anyone that actually practises christianity anymore. i did notice that alot of churches are quite empty these days. only old people seem to go alot now. but the churches are not full.

Because it's inflammatory and has associations with war and threatening the well-being of citizens and they're in the same vague cylindrical shape as missiles.

I know many people who actively practice Christianity, especially those from the Orthodox faith and they are good people, whilst those from the Anglican denomination are dwindling in numbers.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

interesting, the europeans have abandoned their religion and have slid further and further into darkness, yet they fear muslims overcrowding europe, while at the same time they have no intentions to go back to christianity.
:wasalam:

Islam!!yay

ah who cares about Switzerland ...We wont be hearing much from them after Iran nukes them :) lol

Switzerland i was i was kidding about Iran ...dont take my comment the wrong way ..dont take it the same way you took ur perspective on the Minarets... i mean i dont want ur country to be nuked

safiya58

I see some negativ comments about europeans and it bothers me! I´m from a muslim country and I live in europe. And in my own country it would not be possible for girls to enter school/university with hijab... but in europe it is!

There are many muslims living in France, UK, Germany and elsewhere in europe because the conditions for living are much better in Europe... We should be thankfull that we have the possibillity to study, earn money and live here in peace.

Although we are faced with incomprehension and anti foreignism sometimes. most of europeans are accepting us... we have the same chance like a european to occupy a high position...! And to be honest many (foreign-)muslims prefer not to socialize with Europeans... even they live in their country!

about the mesjid.... if they don´t want a mesjid in their country it is there decission....! The whole world is a mesjid for us anyway....

In Germany there are many mesjids... most of the time in back yards.... it is sad that we have so many mesjids and all are independent from eachother...!
in the mesjids you can feel nationalism and rivalry...
I hate it when my girlfriend says I go to *** mesjid because it is the best... or when she tells me I´ll stay away from ***mesjid!

when I visit a non-turkish mesjid it feels like I´ve entered illegitimate territory....!!!! and same when non-turkish people enter turkish mesjids....!

I´m sorry you´ll may think I´m rude but before debating about a new mosque-construction we should debate what we can do to unite our existing mesjids....!

Islam!!yay

I see some negativ comments about europeans and it bothers me! I´m from a muslim country and I live in europe. And in my own country it would not be possible for girls to enter school/university with hijab... but in europe it is!

There are many muslims living in France, UK, Germany and elsewhere in europe because the conditions for living are much better in Europe... We should be thankfull that we have the possibillity to study, earn money and live here in peace.

Although we are faced with incomprehension and anti foreignism sometimes. most of europeans are accepting us... we have the same chance like a european to occupy a high position...! And to be honest many (foreign-)muslims prefer not to socialize with Europeans... even they live in their country!

about the mesjid.... if they don´t want a mesjid in their country it is there decission....! The whole world is a mesjid for us anyway....

In Germany there are many mesjids... most of the time in back yards.... it is sad that we have so many mesjids and all are independent from eachother...!
in the mesjids you can feel nationalism and rivalry...
I hate it when my girlfriend says I go to *** mesjid because it is the best... or when she tells me I´ll stay away from ***mesjid!

when I visit a non-turkish mesjid it feels like I´ve entered illegitimate territory....!!!! and same when non-turkish people enter turkish mesjids....!

I´m sorry you´ll may think I´m rude but before debating about a new mosque-construction we should debate what we can do to unite our existing mesjids....!

well my comment was a joke

BrotherKhalid

As salam 'alaikum,

Sadly, I can't say I'm at all surprised. What's even sadder still is the fact that Islamophobes have absolutely no clue about how great life would be for non-Muslims in a properly run, Islamic nation. They don't realize that Christians and Jews would actually be protected under Shariah and permitted to practice their religions as they did before. We see from history that even Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and Jains, were all permitted to practice their religions when India was ruled by Muslims. They don't understand that forcing anyone to accept Islam is not permitted and they mock us when we recite the oft-quoted translation: "There shall be no compulsion in Deen." (2:256)

Insha Allah, we will see many more minarets rise up from our beautiful Masajid. And insha Allah, they will soon see those minarets are no threat to them or their religions, but a symbol to them that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala is always close, and His Deen always open to all, and they are welcome to join us and see for themselves what those minarets truly represent.

I hope everyone has enjoyed a wonderful Eid wa salam.

Lookingforlight

Slave of Allah
I wish the Western world would practice what they preach- what happens to their distorted versions of "freedom of expression" and "freedom of religion" when it concerns Islam?

I hate their double standards.

ManchesterNick

ah who cares about Switzerland ...We wont be hearing much from them after Iran nukes them :) lol

Switzerland i was i was kidding about Iran ...dont take my comment the wrong way ..dont take it the same way you took ur perspective on the Minarets... i mean i dont want ur country to be nuked

...And you wonder why they ban Minarets when unhelpful comments like this get thrown around? Joke or not, it can be these kind of throwaway comments which give Islam a bad name to non-Muslims and contribute to an Islamaphobic cult which in much of Europe is starting to die down thanks to a lot of hard work by many Muslims.

Hilal Said

...And you wonder why they ban Minarets when unhelpful comments like this get thrown around? Joke or not, it can be these kind of throwaway comments which give Islam a bad name to non-Muslims and contribute to an Islamaphobic cult which in much of Europe is starting to die down thanks to a lot of hard work by many Muslims.

I agree with you 100 %. We should think 100 times about non-Muslims reaction when they read our posts or observe our behavior on street. In other words ; be ambassador of Islam and try to reflect what is Islam exactly, help people to understand Islam better.

By the way I think Nick will be very good in promoting Islam in his community because of his wise thinking.

Sorry for poor English

safiya58

well my comment was a joke

:salam2: my little brother :)

I was speaking in general. Not to you directly. Yes, I did not like your comment but I also did not take offence at it. I know you (that much that I trust you to be a benevolent brother). But still you should be carefull with such comments because others who don´t know you well can get offended by your words.

safiya58

As salam 'alaikum,

Sadly, I can't say I'm at all surprised. What's even sadder still is the fact that Islamophobes have absolutely no clue about how great life would be for non-Muslims in a properly run, Islamic nation. They don't realize that Christians and Jews would actually be protected under Shariah and permitted to practice their religions as they did before. We see from history that even Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and Jains, were all permitted to practice their religions when India was ruled by Muslims. They don't understand that forcing anyone to accept Islam is not permitted and they mock us when we recite the oft-quoted translation: "There shall be no compulsion in Deen." (2:256)

Insha Allah, we will see many more minarets rise up from our beautiful Masajid. And insha Allah, they will soon see those minarets are no threat to them or their religions, but a symbol to them that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala is always close, and His Deen always open to all, and they are welcome to join us and see for themselves what those minarets truly represent.

I hope everyone has enjoyed a wonderful Eid wa salam.

the problem is not Islam. It is without any doubt a blessing for mankind. The problem is also not the mesjid. The purpose of the mesjid is not to be a fancy building with minarets... If we (muslims) want we can take an unoccupied room/building, and there are many... and voila we have a mesjid....

The problem are the muslims.... if we would talk with the non-muslims or not even talk to them but just set a good example of Islam non-muslims would have the chance to realize the beauty of Islam.

You said: What's even sadder still is the fact that Islamophobes have absolutely no clue about .....

well I know so many born-muslims and when they are asked about their religion they say: In Islam it is not allowed to eat pork and drink.... ehhhhmmmm.... yes... is that all.....

In my class there are some (so called) muslim guys. I´m sitting in the front desk of them.... and it is so disgusting when they talk about their realtions with women.... They have no respect with women and me since I´m a sister... May they don´t know I can understand their language... Since I´ve never talked to them...

my point is how can we expect the non-muslims to get an idea of Islam when it is presented by gangsters and analphabets....

all what non-muslims in europe know about Islam is all what we have taught them... women must stay chaste... yes women not men! And everything what is fun is banned in Islam....

Aslong as the practising muslims are in the minority and do not bother to do dawa to the people with muslim names only these (so called muslims) will continue to move to a bottemless pit and ruin the reputation of muslims without even knowing it....

aneIsmail

Assalamu alaykum
my brothers! let us think about this: why some people in the the western world act so strongly? because we are becoming stronger.clearly, their attitude show their fear inside. the development of Islam around the world is quite unbelievable, amazing, and beyond their expectation. just like the western world take China as a rising rival, so they try every possible ways to defame China. InshAllah!

BrotherKhalid

the problem is not Islam. It is without any doubt a blessing for mankind. The problem is also not the mesjid. The purpose of the mesjid is not to be a fancy building with minarets... If we (muslims) want we can take an unoccupied room/building, and there are many... and voila we have a mesjid....

The problem are the muslims.... if we would talk with the non-muslims or not even talk to them but just set a good example of Islam non-muslims would have the chance to realize the beauty of Islam.

You said: What's even sadder still is the fact that Islamophobes have absolutely no clue about .....

well I know so many born-muslims and when they are asked about their religion they say: In Islam it is not allowed to eat pork and drink.... ehhhhmmmm.... yes... is that all.....

In my class there are some (so called) muslim guys. I´m sitting in the front desk of them.... and it is so disgusting when they talk about their realtions with women.... They have no respect with women and me since I´m a sister... May they don´t know I can understand their language... Since I´ve never talked to them...

my point is how can we expect the non-muslims to get an idea of Islam when it is presented by gangsters and analphabets....

all what non-muslims in europe know about Islam is all what we have taught them... women must stay chaste... yes women not men! And everything what is fun is banned in Islam....

Aslong as the practising muslims are in the minority and do not bother to do dawa to the people with muslim names only these (so called muslims) will continue to move to a bottemless pit and ruin the reputation of muslims without even knowing it....

As salam 'alaikum sister,

I agree with you that we need to work hard to better ourselves and strengthen our Ummah. It is because of the divisions within our own Ummah that we are weak (as a community). As Muslims we have a duty to study our Deen and learn as much as we can from it. Before we can make the world a better place we have to work to improve ourselves and strive more to please our Creator, and then we must work to change the state of our Ummah.

A Masjid should be a place of refuge and solace for every Muslim (and non-Muslims who seek it) but those who maintain it must have such intentions for the sake of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala, otherwise we end up with an atmosphere that is comfortable for only one group of Muslims while remaining uncomfortable and intimidating for others. Astaghfirullah.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive our childish and petty battles against one another and strengthen us so that we may be merciful and compassionate with one another. Ameen.

Wa salam.