Humour of The Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him)

bemuslim

assalamu alaykum,

edited by admin, - please see the following link >>

The Prophet Muhammad (Salallahu alayhi wa salam)'s Sense of Humour

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16680
It is well known that the Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) was indeed the perfect man. He was a devoted seeker of Truth, a warner and exhorter, a person of good cheer and pleasantness, a brilliant leader, a courageous and yet reluctant warrior, a statesman par excellence and the teacher of teachers. He was a compassionate ruler and spiritual leader, but many do not know that the Holy Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) had an extraordinary sense of humor!

Indeed, the Holy Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) would laugh and joke often. He enjoyed playing with children, especially his grandsons Hasan and Husayn (RA). The Prophet allowed his grandson to climb atop his back while he was in prostration as reported by al-Hafid Abu-Na’im (RA) on the Authority of Abu Bakr (RA) saying,

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) was leading us in prayer. Hasan, who was still a child, would come to him while he was in prostration, and sit on his back or sometimes on his neck. The Prophet (s.a.w.) would lift him tenderly. When the prayer was finished, they (the Muslims) asked him: ‘O Messenger of Allah! You are doing to this boy what you do not do to another person?’ ‘He is my basil,’ he replied.”"

The Prophet’s playfulness was also coupled with a beautiful sense of humor. He smiled often and would make jokes with members of his community. For example,

“Once, an old woman came up to him and asked for paradise. He said, “Old women do not enter the paradise.” The woman started crying. As she started leaving the room, the Prophet, showing his subtle sense of humor, stopped her and said, “Old women will become young before entering the heaven.” (Tirmadhi)

Another recording of the Prophet’s life describes him laughing and joking with another man. The hadith says,

“A man broke his fast (intentionally) during Ramadan. The Messenger of Allah (saws) commanded him to emancipate a slave or fast for two months, or feed sixty poor men. He said, “I cannot provide.”

The Apostle said, “Sit down.” Thereafter, a huge basket of dates was brought to the Messenger of Allah. He said, “Take this and give it as charity.” He said, “O Messenger of Allah, there is no one poorer than I.” The Messenger of Allah thereupon laughed so that his canine teeth became visible and said, “Eat it yourself.”

The Prophet brought an uplifting spirit that penetrated the hearts of people. There is a story mentioned about the Prophet and a common merchant that tells us just a little about the spirit he carried,

“One of his companions was Zahir, who used to trade in metal objects. Once the Prophet was passing by the bazaar, he saw Zahir and playfully grabbed him from behind and said, “Will anyone buy this slave?” Zahir laughed and said, “O Messenger of Allah, whoever buys this slave will be in loss.” The Prophet smiled and said, “In Allah’s eyes, your value is high.”

On another occasion a man approached the Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) and asked him for a camel ride. The Prophet said, “I would give you a camel’s child”. The man said, “O Messenger of Allah. What will I do with a camel’s child?” The Prophet smiled and said, “Is there any camel who is not the progeny of a camel?”

In summary, the Holy Prophet, the perfect man (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) was an image of admiration. He was clear and resolute in matters of importance and obtained the highest character as the Qur’an tells us,

“Verily you are of a high and nobel character.” (68:004)

But he also was a dear friend and beloved companion. His sense of humor brought warmth and love to those who were around him. He never passed someone without a smile and his high achievement of good manners have become the example and traditions of Muslims the world over. This is the Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) and his tradition of good humor. May we all work intensely toward achieving good manners and a healthy sense of humor, amin.

jundulah

BE MUSLIM/ YOU NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL,USING THE WORD "GAY" WHEN REFERING TO OUR BELVED PROPHET(SAW) DON BE IGNORANT TO USE THAT MIGHT LEED YOU INTO THE HELLFIRE.be warned

bemuslim

gay means gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.

Muslimah77

Slave of Allah (SWT)
:salam2:

Please remove the word ‘gay’ and replace it with something more appropriate.

After writing Prophet Muhammad, please add sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam or Peace and Blessings be upon him after his name.

After writing about the Companions, please add radiyallahu anhu after their names.

We need to show respect to them. Please proof-read your post next time.

DanyalSAC

The PC Police notwithstanding, I think its a wonderful post - it shows how human our Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa'salaam was, and how much he (saw) loved his fellow man.

jundulah

gay means gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.

BE MUSLIM, IT SEEMS THAT YOU DID NOT GET IT YET!YOU JUST GAVE 100 SYNONMOUS WORDS WITH THE WORD GAY,NOBODY ASKED YOU TO WRITE THE WHOLE DICTIONARY.WE SIMPLY ASKED YOU TO REMOVE THE FILTHY WORD "GAY" AS IT HAS DIFFERENT MEANING NOW,YOU CAN SPEAK ABOUT OUR BELOVED(SAW) WITH REVERENCE IF YOU WANTED INSTEAD OF BEING INDIFERENT & LIKE WESTERN NON MUSLIM AUTHOR WHO WAS SPEAKING ILL OF OUR BELOVED(SAW) IF YOU MEAN WELL & YOU WERE IGNORANT (ALLAAH) SWT MIGHT FORGIVE YOU,HOWEVER IF A KNOWLEDGABLE BROTHER OR SISTER CORRECT YOU.YOU HAVE TO STOP & HAVE SECOND LOOK AT YOUR POST.AFTER ALL,THAT IS WHAT OUR DEEN IS ALL ABOUT...:astag::astag:

DanyalSAC

BE MUSLIM, IT SEEMS THAT YOU DID NOT GET IT YET!YOU JUST GAVE 100 SYNONMOUS WORDS WITH THE WORD GAY,NOBODY ASKED YOU TO WRITE THE WHOLE DICTIONARY.WE SIMPLY ASKED YOU TO REMOVE THE FILTHY WORD "GAY" AS IT HAS DIFFERENT MEANING NOW,YOU CAN SPEAK ABOUT OUR BELOVED(SAW) WITH REVERENCE IF YOU WANTED INSTEAD OF BEING INDIFERENT & LIKE WESTERN NON MUSLIM AUTHOR WHO WAS SPEAKING ILL OF OUR BELOVED(SAW) IF YOU MEAN WELL & YOU WERE IGNORANT (ALLAAH) SWT MIGHT FORGIVE YOU,HOWEVER IF A KNOWLEDGABLE BROTHER OR SISTER CORRECT YOU.YOU HAVE TO STOP & HAVE SECOND LOOK AT YOUR POST.AFTER ALL,THAT IS WHAT OUR DEEN IS ALL ABOUT...:astag::astag:

I am sorry but I have to step up to defend the original poster. I 100% disagree that this word is "filthy" now just because its used by a deviant group. If we give in, we show that they've won. Would I've used a different word? Yes. Would I go insane over the use of this word? No. There are MANY texts and books written 30+ years ago (and something tells me the bulk of this post was written a while ago) that we don't need to go back and re-write just because there's a word in it we don't approve of.

I think we should stop trying to be the Haram Police on this website, it has come close to driving me away from it several times. Other than myself not ONE person has seen to the actual nature of the post and appreciated the point the poster was trying to get across. Everyone's focused on ONE WORD!

Everyone is trying to be judge, jury, and executioner.

Astaghfurallah.

Daniel.

IslamicGirl24

MashaAllah!! I didn't know about quite a few of these incidents...So, JazakAllah Khairan brother for sharing such a wonderful article.
May Allah swt reward you.

I would like to share some more with you all..:)

Ahmad reported that 'A'ishah said: "I went out with the Prophet (sallallahu`alayhi wa sallam) on a journey. At that time I was a young girl and was quite slender. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wasallam) told the people, 'Go on ahead,' so they went ahead, then he said to me, 'Come, let us have a race.' So I raced with him, and I won. He let the matter rest until I had gained weight. Later, I accompanied him on another journey. He told the people, 'Go on ahead,' so they went ahead. He said to me, 'Come, let us have a race.' So I raced with him, and he won. He began to laugh, and said, 'This is for that."'

“Once, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam went to visit Suhayb, may Allah be pleased with him, when he was sick with an eye ailment. When he entered Suhayb, may Allah be pleased with him, was eating dates, so the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said to him, jokingly: “Are you eating dates while you have a sore eye!” he replied: ‘I’m using the other eye to see.’ Thereupon, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam smiled.” (Ibn Maajah).

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

You will find a more thorough article complete with Evidences from Quran and Sunnah here:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16680

Jazak Allahu khayr

The article and that website are poorly written. They do not even write "Salallahu alayhi wa salam) or the English "May Allah's Peace and Blessings be upon him" written after his name.

As for the word "gay", indeed it was used much especially in the past to mean happy, etc. I remember growing up reading a lot of childrens' books with such words. (Enid Blyton!- dont mention the gollywogs either)

However, I do believe that when writing especially to an international audience we aught to think wisely - even though we may be correct, but we should make things as easy as possible for people to understand what we mean.

Language is used for conveying information, how it is used depends on the audience.

Also brothers please do not write in All capital letters.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Naseeha (advice) has its *adaab* (manners) ya akhi...

It was never the character of our Prophet (salla Allaho 'alayhi wa sallam) or his companions (radhiya Allaho 'anhom) to advice people in this fashion...can you even *imagine* our Prophet ('alayhi assalat wassalam) or one of the companions standing in front of another Muslim *shouting* at them due to their disapproval of an act of theirs?!!!..of course you can't!!!..they were men who harvested the best of manners and practiced them to the letter for the sake of Allah and the sake of their brothers and sisters in faith!

Please remember this hadith when you want to give naseeha...

"Gentleness is [never] put into something unless it beautified it, and is [never] taken out of something unless it disfigured it" [Sahih Muslim]

Being zealous for your deen is a matter praised and admired and may Allah sustain it in you so you may prosper through it in the dunya and the akhirah inshallah!..but akhi..do not drive into *over-zealousness* and thus *deprive* yourself of *ajer*...balance your nafs so your actions may become so as well baraka Allaho feek

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
sobhanallah!!!!beautiful post akhi...........made me laugh:D:D:D:Djazakallahkhaira for sharing:)surely no human can be better than the prophet(peace be upon him:))