happy birthday????

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
Let us open a new discussion!!
is it allowed to celebrate birthday, in ISLAM??
is it not the way of the nonmuslims???
comments!!!!

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Let us open a new discussion!!
is it allowed to celebrate birthday, in ISLAM??
is it not the way of the nonmuslims???
comments!!!!

:salam2:
just a counter question, is it still haram if its only family and we buy a cake and just family?
doesn't that increase closeness and love between a family?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
:salam2:
just a counter question, is it still haram if its only family and we buy a cake and just family?
doesn't that increase closeness and love between a family?

As-salaamu `alaykum

The point isn't what it does achieve of good. The point is that the Prophet, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam prescribed and replaced the jahiliyyah celebrations of the people of Madinah, with the two `Eids, making them our celebrations. Also, it is known that the signs of a people's beliefs and religion, is manifested through their celebrations (I can't recall a hadeeth to this effect, but I believe Imam Adh-Dhahabi mentioned the point). So this should be enough a reason for us to stay away from these matters. In addition, it is said that the introduction of birthdays into the religion came by way of the shi`a, with them introducing the horrible innovation of celebrating the Prophet's, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, birthday. This is mentioned by Ibn Katheer in Al-Bidaayah.

Was-salaam

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
dear brother shaheerpak, assalamoalikum, as it is the way of the nonmuslims to celebrate birthday so in order to make the families closer we should cut cakes and enjoy on other days except birthdayssssssssssssssss.
wasalam.

salahdin

consider this that everytime you celebrate your birthday, you are one year closer to your death . The question is then why celebrate at all and further why imitate the kufar?

uddim004

birthdays

i can't remember who stated this but i have read that; you should not innovate in the religion of islam. therefore as it was not stated in the sharia to do so we should not risk sinning ourselves by celebrating birthdays. aldo i agree the fact that we are one year closer to our death .:salam2:

ChebbaTan

Assalamu aleikum,

Excellent topic this one,
We're all tempted to give birthday gifts and to have some other kind of celebrations for birthdays but there are some points I would like to point to all of us to think about it:

- Birthdays are all known for being for thousands of years a practice of unbelievers, such as Ancient Egyptians and Greeks, etc... (we don't have any single report about a prophet or believer that has ever been celebrating birthday);

- Most part of birthday traditions such as the candled cake, they have pagan origin, this one for example is related to the worshipping a godess from Ancient Greeks;

- Birthdays are occasions when people use to give special praise to a certain person in a way or another, and we should keep in mind that only Allah swt deserves that honours, not a human creature.

I hope my contribution has been useful,

May Allah swt bless you all, :tti_sister:

arzafar

without celebrating birthdays and cutting cakes,
can we wish somebody happy birthday?
can we be happy on birthdays?

Kakorot

consider this that everytime you celebrate your birthday, you are one year closer to your death . The question is then why celebrate at all and further why imitate the kufar?

That is so true once you think about it. People actually get happy because they're growing older and closer to grey hair and wrinkles but yet still celebrate their birthday.

A few years ago, during my gcse exams it was my birthday. After the exam, I wanted to meet up with all my friends (most of whom are Muslim) so we can go home together. But two of my friends distracted me away from the group because they planned a suprise for me and I was completely unaware of it. Whilst the rest of them got a cake with a candle and lit it up. Then my friens directed me to the rest of the group and they just jumped out on me singing 'happy birthday to you' blah blah blah. I just stood there shocked. I was in a sticky situation because I don't celebrate birthdays but I thought it was kinda sweet of my friends to do something like that. After eating the cake my friends told me that they thought that I'd be angry with them for doing that. Plus some of my friends celebrate birthdays and get together for meals and stuff and I don't go but I do feel a bit left out.