Thats weird, A Muslim celebrated Christmas!!?

Shamim56

Muslim Brother
Assalamualakum Brother's and Sister's

I went to my friends house today and he is from syria and told me long ago that he is Muslim. But when he told me that he told me that they are the "Less strict type". But i told him theres no such thing and he laughed and said i dont know and we went on with another subject.

Well today when i had went to his house His Mother greeted me and joked with me and said "You are muslim like us!, Because you take your shoes off when you come inside". She only meant that because everyone else except their family doesnt take their shoe off. So the weird thing was they had decorated their door with those decorations and even a santa! And then i heard from him that he got presents etc... but his Mother prayed like how Muslims do. I dont understand this , is this like another sect of Islam like shiite?, He told me he does respect Muhammad as the last prophet in Islam.

Im pretty confused and i asked him about Esa and he said we think hes a prophet too!!!

Btw they do not have a christmas tree so i have no idea :/

ShyHijabi

I met a brother who told me his family puts up a Christmas tree and hands out presents on Christmas day. He felt it was a good thing and showed "diversity." I told him I felt it was wrong especially given that the Christmas tree comes from pagan roots. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about because he was a "true Arabic Muslim" and I was "just a convert."

In the end I think he was very confused and didn't even know the basic tenets of his own religion. We are not supposed to immmitate the practices and beliefs of non-Muslims. We have been given the perfect way to worship, why add or take from it?

sal12

Oh I'm not at all suprised. Quite a few of my friends celebrate it. I got a text from 2 of my friends which said MERRY XMAS! and one of them was telling me what they all had for Christmas dinner. Another one of my friends was telling me she had christmas dinner too and it was the most delicious meal shes ever had. And after they opened presents. lol I had to just bite my tongue! She even wanted to do Secret Santa with me and our other friends but I told her I didnt want to.

They're not a different sect or anything. They just celebrate it for the kids in their family because they see no harm in it. A lot of Muslims celebrate it even though they dont believe in it.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

It's not uncommon to see that amongst "Muslims"...

This is especially popular amongst Muslims who live in communities with a big number of Christians in it...I remember when I was little back home..our city has the largest Chrisitian minority in all the country and many Muslims put up Christmas trees and went to Christmas concerts and parties..and went to their Christian friends and neighbors and *greeted* them..even national channels and radio stations aired Christmas movies and music..so many Muslim children grew up loving all the Christmas elements including good ol' *Santa Claus* or *Baba Noel* as he's called in Arabic countries...

This is not being mentioned to *justify* it but to let you know that *unfortunately* this is common and it's not based upon a sound logic..and most of the time the Muslims who do this are either ignorant of their deen or try to pass on the idea that we *are all the same* and we *believe in one God*..et cetra...when the issue is not as *simple* as that!..their belief is not based upon a sect or a school of thought..it's merely based upon erroneous *personal convictions*

May Allah Guide His servants!

:wasalam:

Ashima33

Salaam,

These types of conversations can go on for days. This is not me saying what these people are doing is okay, but ultimately, we can point fingers all day long. That is why Jihad has been "said" to be the "6th pillar" of Islam. It is most important to focus on the self because on the day of judgment, you won't know anyone else. I feel that's pretty huge. You won't know ANYONE ELSE. You won't remember if so and so did this or that. So we should probably start practicing focusing on the individual in the mirror.

Salem9022

There is alot of Habashies in Syria and Lebanon, They celebrate Christmas in Lebanon and Syria and they allow music. They also drink and inter-mingle between the Genders and they also allow their daughters and sisters to Marry Kuffar Men amoung other things. Or maybe these people are Allawies, Allahu 3alim.

"you are muslim like us" just because you took off your shoes? loool You should have told her the Chinese and Japanese do this as well.

Abdullah_77

maybe they are alawites. /??????????/

maybe, Allahu alam.
there are lots of alwaites in syria. the president bashar assad is an alawite.
I think they believe in atrinity or something.

rayray

I just want to share that I'm a Christian but fast during ramadan... and from where I am from, it is uncommon for Christians to practice ramadan (in terms that they fast) :)

Ebn-El-Islam

Well the TV plays a major role in this situation & the Culture.

I am from lebanon, I used to live in a christanity Village and I used to get alot of presents from the christians and I used to go to the church.

Then my mother changed the village and we went to a muslim city and I started to discover Islam. Maybe they have this as a tradition and they take it as a normal act not in a religious View.

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
this is one of the major illnesses that made Ummah bow in front of Kuffar; We're giving the bad example of islam......

Yousef83

I had seen this kind of behaviour on Nat Geo channel.They were black american muslims.They go to mosque but place look like 100% church.They do sit on chairs and singing.Men and Women at same place very close each other.I think who are from usa have idea about them.Forgot their name but they r a muslim group

hana*

it comes as no suprise to me- not everyone who is Muslim is practicing Islam. there are many Muslims here who put up a christmas tree and give gifts at christmas. my little brother received a christmas card from his teacher - who was a Muslim herself- a Muslim to a Muslim! there are far bigger and more severe acts that people are doing and also claim to be Muslim at the same time so dont let that incident bother you.

on a side note, you mentioned syria: personally i think syria is the best country in the arab world in terms of practicing Islam- there are many actively engaged in daawah and many (mainly females) involved in learning Quran and teaching others there- more than any other arab country id say. further there are alot of sound hadeeth about damascus (a.k.a shaam) which state that the best place to live near the end of time (akhir al zaman) is damascus. (a little off the thread topic but i thought id share that with you).

hana*

I just want to share that I'm a Christian but fast during ramadan... and from where I am from, it is uncommon for Christians to practice ramadan (in terms that they fast) :)

thats interesting. can I ask: do you observe fasting in the month of Ramadan or do you fast certain days of the month with respects to your faith e.g for lent etc?

arzafar

it comes as no suprise to me- not everyone who is Muslim is practicing Islam. there are many Muslims here who put up a christmas tree and give gifts at christmas. my little brother received a christmas card from his teacher - who was a Muslim herself- a Muslim to a Muslim! there are far bigger and more severe acts that people are doing and also claim to be Muslim at the same time so dont let that incident bother you.

on a side note, you mentioned syria: personally i think syria is the best country in the arab world in terms of practicing Islam- there are many actively engaged in daawah and many (mainly females) involved in learning Quran and teaching others there- more than any other arab country id say. further there are alot of sound hadeeth about damascus (a.k.a shaam) which state that the best place to live near the end of time (akhir al zaman) is damascus. (a little off the thread topic but i thought id share that with you).

ditto.
i wish id go to their some day.
Also to Palestine, the land of the prophets!

hana*

ditto.
i wish id go to their some day.
Also to Palestine, the land of the prophets!

inshaAllah you will be able to go there one day, but id only recommend you go with someone who knows the city well as tourism isnt what is is in other holiday destinations..

rayray

thats interesting. can I ask: do you observe fasting in the month of Ramadan or do you fast certain days of the month with respects to your faith e.g for lent etc?

Both. During Ramadan though, the major reason why even Christians fast is to show brotherhood/ camaraderie with fellow Muslim brothers. Though our country is Catholic, a huge number of the population practice Islam. Salaam :)

hana*

Both. During Ramadan though, the major reason why even Christians fast is to show brotherhood/ camaraderie with fellow Muslim brothers. Though our country is Catholic, a huge number of the population practice Islam. Salaam :)

really what contry do you reside in? that is really amazing, we do have alot in common with the catholics. why do these people who practice ramadan not become Muslims?