Your way to Islam !!!!!share your story

Sovannarith

I was raised a devout, conservative Christian in America. I am an ethnic Khmer, born in America. In Cambodia, the land of my ancestors, the main religion is a form of Buddhist Paganism. Islam is the second largest religion, but is practiced mainly by the Cham people, who take up less than 5% of the population. Despite their religion, Cham are look at as voodoo practicing people. My dad's family used to be polytheists, but converted to Christianity because of the missionaries in Cambodia. My mom later became a Christian after she married my dad. My paternal grandparents, who attend two church services per week really helped in strengthening my belief in God. All my other relatives aren't religious. When I was 5 years old, my parents started going to church. My dad became a preacher, though my mom never really was that religious. I even went a Christian elementary and middle school.

At middle school, we learned a lot about the Jewish culture of Jesus (SAW). I also started actively reading the Bible, which I didn't really know although most teachers said that they were impressed with my knowledge of it. The contrasts between the total submission to Allah by Jesus, David, Moses, and Daniel (peace be upon them all) and the "all you need to do is believe" mindset of Paul were so sharp. At times, they even preached the opposite message. This brought up many doubts and questions in my mind. It became clear to me that Christians obviously didn't practice the religion of their messiah. How could these people have strayed so far from their original religion? The astounding differences in the teachings of all the different Christian sects didn't help either. The New Testament's teachings were also so ambiguous and vague, whereas the Old Testament was so specific that it couldn't possibly have come from the same source. Whenever I asked a learned Christian about my doubts, they gave me answers as vague as their Bible. I could argue both for and against any issue using the Bible as my basis.

One day, I found a brochure on Islam. The brochure was actually supposed to be scrap paper for a science project, but I read it. I'm a young American male, so you all can probably imagine what I thought about Muslims. The information in the brochure was very basic, but it was all legit. Admittedly, I was a little biased because my experience with Christian people and how they treated me, but the reason of Islam was amazing. Now, the brochure was good, but it was not enough for a conversion. At that point in life, Jesus (SAW) was still my savior despite the doubts. I became more curious about Islam and found a website called answering-christianity.com, which although it has a few errors, really opened my eyes. I never decide on issues without being well-informed, so I researched arguments against Islam, all of which were super weak. I used that website sort of as an introduction into Islam. It pointed out many more errors and contradictions in the Bible and in Christianity that I have never even considered, having been brainwashed in church since childhood. I learned about the life of the Prophet (SAW) and the scientific miracles in the Holy Qur'an, but more importantly, I saw the moral principles in it. I battled against the Bible and deemed it as a book corrupted by inconsistencies and polytheistic Greek philosophies. I battled against the Holy Qur'an and could find no fault in it--historically, scientifically, or ethically. I also concluded that Hinduism, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness, Bahai'i, Buddhism and many other belief systems to be imperfect.

At age 13, in March 2009, I accepted the beliefs of Islam. I have never said the shahada to a witness, owned a copy of the Holy Qur'an, met a Muslim person in real life, nor have I even been inside a mosque, but I do salaat five times a day, stay away from haraam things, and have fasted Ramadan. Masha'Allah, my Arabic is coming along well. My parents, whom I have consulted throughout the whole journey are devastated. I am now 14 years old and trying to live steadfast in Islam. I feel like my conversion story is unusual, but I thank Allah but for guiding me to the truth at a young age.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Miss Aaliyah

Your story is really wonderful , Al7amdulillah he guided u .
May Allah help you to pracise Islam more & more :)

Sovannarith

Ma sha'a Allah , May Allah bless you
Welcome to Islam and congratulations
plz don't hesitate to ask anyhelp , here we are your Family :)

IslamicGirl24

I was raised a devout, conservative Christian in America. I am an ethnic Khmer, born in America. In Cambodia, the land of my ancestors, the main religion is a form of Buddhist Paganism. Islam is the second largest religion, but is practiced mainly by the Cham people, who take up less than 5% of the population. Despite their religion, Cham are look at as voodoo practicing people. My dad's family used to be polytheists, but converted to Christianity because of the missionaries in Cambodia. My mom later became a Christian after she married my dad. My paternal grandparents, who attend two church services per week really helped in strengthening my belief in God. All my other relatives aren't religious. When I was 5 years old, my parents started going to church. My dad became a preacher, though my mom never really was that religious. I even went a Christian elementary and middle school.

At middle school, we learned a lot about the Jewish culture of Jesus (SAW). I also started actively reading the Bible, which I didn't really know although most teachers said that they were impressed with my knowledge of it. The contrasts between the total submission to Allah by Jesus, David, Moses, and Daniel (peace be upon them all) and the "all you need to do is believe" mindset of Paul were so sharp. At times, they even preached the opposite message. This brought up many doubts and questions in my mind. It became clear to me that Christians obviously didn't practice the religion of their messiah. How could these people have strayed so far from their original religion? The astounding differences in the teachings of all the different Christian sects didn't help either. The New Testament's teachings were also so ambiguous and vague, whereas the Old Testament was so specific that it couldn't possibly have come from the same source. Whenever I asked a learned Christian about my doubts, they gave me answers as vague as their Bible. I could argue both for and against any issue using the Bible as my basis.

One day, I found a brochure on Islam. The brochure was actually supposed to be scrap paper for a science project, but I read it. I'm a young American male, so you all can probably imagine what I thought about Muslims. The information in the brochure was very basic, but it was all legit. Admittedly, I was a little biased because my experience with Christian people and how they treated me, but the reason of Islam was amazing. Now, the brochure was good, but it was not enough for a conversion. At that point in life, Jesus (SAW) was still my savior despite the doubts. I became more curious about Islam and found a website called answering-christianity.com, which although it has a few errors, really opened my eyes. I never decide on issues without being well-informed, so I researched arguments against Islam, all of which were super weak. I used that website sort of as an introduction into Islam. It pointed out many more errors and contradictions in the Bible and in Christianity that I have never even considered, having been brainwashed in church since childhood. I learned about the life of the Prophet (SAW) and the scientific miracles in the Holy Qur'an, but more importantly, I saw the moral principles in it. I battled against the Bible and deemed it as a book corrupted by inconsistencies and polytheistic Greek philosophies. I battled against the Holy Qur'an and could find no fault in it--historically, scientifically, or ethically. I also concluded that Hinduism, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness, Bahai'i, Buddhism and many other belief systems to be imperfect.

At age 13, in March 2009, I accepted the beliefs of Islam. I have never said the shahada to a witness, owned a copy of the Holy Qur'an, met a Muslim person in real life, nor have I even been inside a mosque, but I do salaat five times a day, stay away from haraam things, and have fasted Ramadan. Masha'Allah, my Arabic is coming along well. My parents, whom I have consulted throughout the whole journey are devastated. I am now 14 years old and trying to live steadfast in Islam. I feel like my conversion story is unusual, but I thank Allah but for guiding me to the truth at a young age.

Assalamu alaykum.

MashaAllah, brother! I am simply astounded at your story. Alhamdulillah it has inspired me so much...
I sincerely pray that may Allah swt bless you always and that you remain a steadfast Muslim throughout your life. Ameen.

If you need any kind of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. There are alot of brothers who will be more than willing to help you, InshaAllah.

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Asslam u Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu brother Sovannarith,

Masha Allah ...at such a young age, Allah has guided you towrds the light of HIS guidance. Allah o Akbar. Allah has certainly blessed you with reason and intellect Masha Allah. Congratulations brother.

Very very welcome the forums. May Allah help you and give you strength of Eman and courage to be steadfast. Ameen. I would suggest you to go to masjid and have friendship with some good practicing muslim brothers.

Welcome to Islam brother. :tti_sister:

Wa Alaikum Salam,

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Congratulations to the reverts on their path to Islam.

Sovannarith

You are a young man, with plenty of opportunities, InshAllah (Allah Willing).

You may take into consideration the following advice:

1) If you wish to become a knowledgeable scholar of Islam, in order to service the Muslims in the land in which you reside or in order to later serve as a missionary in your parents home nation of Cambodia, you may consider studying at "Madinah University" in Saudi Arabia. This university is known to graduate wise scholars such as Yasir Qadhi and others. See the following link:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6502

2) Another path may involve becoming a doctor in your land of residence. This way, you will be financially secure, will have the freedom to practice your religion (praying during the work day, leaving for celebrations such as Eid; which is difficult for persons who are employed by others). As a doctor, you will also have the wealth to benefit the local Muslim community in your land and also provide charity for other needy Muslims around the world. In this manner you increase your good deeds tremendously. If you wish to leave your land of residence because you feel you cannot be a true slave of Allah, then with a medical license from your nation, you will find it easier to find work in a nation such as Saudi Arabia, in which one can follow Islam 100%, without dealing with interest contracts, etc. As a wealthy doctor you may also be able to start other businesses and increase your wealth and engage in building masjids (mosques), Islamic schools, engaging in politics in your land, etc. As a doctor you can still increase your Islamic knowledge and preach or serve as a missionary for your people and others, but you will simply not have a university degree.

See the following links to increase your Islamic knowledge. The lectures by Yasir Qadhi are well done:

1) http://www.youtube.com/user/khalifahklothing?blend=1&ob=4

2) http://thedeenshow.com/show.php

3) http://www.islamreligion.com/

4) http://www.tubeislam.com/search/?search_id=yasir+qadhi&search_type=search_videos&submit=+

terungdayak

im new here..im not a muslim yet...but my story was different.....to make my long story short....one day when i was about to start my journey driving to work....out of nowhere i suddenly whispered " bismillah irahman irahim" such words ease me when i was about to start my engine..im so happy..by only saying the words.. :) even before i eat i suddenly said those word...never ever people teach me before... i would be spending a lot of time in here...and im looking forward for my new journey in life..

Hilal Said

im new here..im not a muslim yet...but my story was different.....to make my long story short....one day when i was about to start my journey driving to work....out of nowhere i suddenly whispered " bismillah irahman irahim" such words ease me when i was about to start my engine..im so happy..by only saying the words.. :) even before i eat i suddenly said those word...never ever people teach me before... i would be spending a lot of time in here...and im looking forward for my new journey in life..

One of the most amazing things I read on this website. May Allah guide you and help you ..Ameen

justice101

:salam2: My story is kind of boring
I am a born Muslim, personally I think converts are better,
Ny wayz I used to pray as a kid, my mom used to scare me but then throughout the years I lost what I was doing, so when I usually came back from school I used to eat my food and sit and watch samurai jack LOL. Then came this time that I was supposed to go to Somalia for a visit, we used the road, and this is so funny, the day that we were supposed to come my grand mother sent a car to pick us up but we delayed and came one day after, then we rented one and it was moving at nite it was scary kinda ny wayz ther is this big stone in the way and then we hear gun shots we feel scared ma bro is sleeping, wakes up to see that they are the hitchhikers they tell us to get down from the car and pull out guns at us me and ma bro were cryin like little babies it was so scary then they ask ma mom where the money is she says u have the car and everything else, I look up at the sky and ma mom says pray, and she tells me this prayer I don’t remebr, I look up and I pray and ask ALLAH and I say to him that I never used to pray and I will, they take us far and they get the car messed up, Alhamdulilah den I start to pray and then, we come to ethipia and I was in school so I never thought of prayin zuhur in school, till one day after a full year of prayin asr and zuhur togrther I see this little boy pray in school, am shocked and I start prayin, nxt thing I know something is drivin me the masjid and now am so happy I still got ma probs but Alhamdulilah , then I meet these girls who love islam so much and am so happy I met them they re twin sis n they taught me a lot that’s me
Hope ur not sleppy

Miza

Me as a Muslim..

well, i guess it's a lil' bit different for me. i was born as a muslim of both Muslim mom and dad. i was educated also of a muslim way. during my young ages, my parents taught me how to Solaah, Doah, how to eat like a muslim and everything just the way a muslim should be.

i went to Islamic school and learned fields of studies about Islam. they are Akhlak[manners], tawhid[worshipness], sirohh[history of Islam], Hafazan[memorizing Quran], Tilawwah[reciting], Imla'[listen then write in arabic], Arabic lang.[to understand Quran better without translators & it's SUNNAH*** to learn it because it's JANNAH'S[heaven] & Quran's language.], Tajwid[rules when you read Quran]and Feqh[how to perform solaah,do Doaah & more].

i started wearing hijab[fully wear] and cover my aurah* since december 2005.. you know, once a muslim reaches his/her puberty, they're responsible for their own ISM or ZUNUB [Ya ALLAH! i cant remember the suitable words in english now. but it's kinda.. like.. our MISTAKES. the ISM and ZUNUB are arabic words]. so that's it.

i've been trying to avoid eating NON-HALAL foods but my country is an Islam country so thats not really a problem to me.

i am still following classes of Islamic studies in mosque, especially TAWHID and FEQH. those are so important. they're the basics in Islam. eventhough i am a muslim from the start, but that doesn't mean i've never done any mistakes. of course i did, i always do, but once i've realized my mistakes, i'd repent[tawbah] & pray for forgiveness from ALLAH, hoping ALLAH would forgive my mistakes. we ain't perfect, am i right? :)

so, everyone, lets do our best as Muslims for Islam, the true religion. good luck!

*AURAH is parts of our body that we don't show to people who are not our Mahram**.
**MAHRAMs are people that we cant get married to, like.. our mum, dad, sisters, brothers, grandmothers and grandfathers[both sides of mom and dad] and our uncles and aunties[siblings of dad and mum]
***SUNNAH is when you do something that is not COMPULSORY to do like helping blinds crossing the roads, helping dad washing cars & so on.. we'll receive REDEEMS later at Qiyamah[AKHIRAH]..

i hope this wee infos could make you understand better... :)
:SMILY252:MIZA<33

Haleema12

Here's my story...

Salaam dear brothers and sisters in islam,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I joined the forum just yesterday and introduced myself in another section on this forum. A couple of members asked me to share my story about how I came to islam. So I'm going to be cheeky and copy and paste what I said to them.

I was a practising christian for a little under two years. I was at uni at the time of becoming a christian. Hence, I had developed an inquisitive mind. My enquiring mind overlapped my journey in seeking knowledge in christianity. I quickly learned from my fellow christians that it was not permissible to question the christian faith, as this is satans work. I had problems with this as I didn't want to blindly follow the faith, as they could then tell me anything and I was expected to just accept it. This lead to problems with performing outreach missionary work, which was basically, spreading God's (or Jesus's) word on the streets. I had unanswered questions of my own and I was expected to answer others questions about christianity in order that they embrace christianity. I Also remember questioning why Jesus was willing to die on the cross for everybody's sin, if we are stilll sinning today. Surely he died for nothing? I remember feeling rebellious toward christianity. I was told repeatedly to trust in the holy spirit and all will be revealed. Christians receive the holy spirit right after they are baptised. 'Speaking in tongues' is one way of knowing that you have received the holy spirit. It's a way of communicating to God so that the devil cannot intercede. Nobody can understand what you're saying except God. I never had this ability and my chrisitian friends kept asking me why I couldn't speak it yet, so eventually I pretended I could. This was clearly a problem for me. I also had a problem with Jesus, apparently, being God. If this was the case why isn't Jesus mentioned in The Book of Genesis when the World first begun. I was taught many things about the religion and had many questions marks that couldn't be answered by anyone. Christianity quickly became unfitting for me. It felt very patchy and unreal.

Along my short journey in christianity I was introduced to slam through a new revert who was a christian before. She was so excited to help answer all of my questions. She went onto explain everything and gave me a CD on Christianity vs. Islam debate. It was a debate between Ahmad Deedat and Jimmy Swaggart. Many muslims in the audience had questions for Jimmy Swaggart, the priest, after both presenters had finished, but the priest did not have all of the answer at the time. That did it for me. I haven't looked back since mash'Allah.

I've been a muslim now for 2.5 years, alhamdullilah.

:tti_sister:

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
salaam alikom

My story is really long " on August 3 " I was born I heard Azan in one ear and Iqama in other ear later after 2 Years I started to see my parents and other praying and listen to Quran and going to mosque with my dad and my grand fater, by 7 I was beaten to pray :D ;) jk, by 10 I was praying hamdulillah, that how I found out that I am a Muslim.

wa salaam alikom

:salam2:
haha Very nice story brother,we are still for the 2nd part of this story LOL!!!

Erhanavci

I was always a Muslim

Salaam alaykuum brothers and sisters

[ I enjoyed reading everybodys story ]

I was always a Muslim but, never followed my religion. My parents arent really religious neither. When I was younger I always questioned my self,The main question was what in the world is going to happen when I died; Am I going to be floating in a bubble in the air?I had a strong feeling this world is just not it....theres more to it. I grew up having too much freedom(parents always worked) slowely got the fame and fortune and it all went down. I had so many friends that all went away, I started to become very depressed, lonely, couldn't really talk to anybody,my closest friend was mocking my depression. This summer my mom wanted to go to Turkey ( my country ); we went and one day my cousin and my grandmother's neighbor's son wanted to go to the neighborhood mesquite so I decided , hey why not?We went and prayed, after our prayer we walked towards the iman and I had like a film strip in my head of all the sins I have done, I got really emotional and started cryingand ever since I became religious.

Mouhamouha

Salamu alaikim

My story is not so long.
I am born christian but i was never really interest in my religion till 16, at that time i started to become interest, the problem was that i never found answers for my question in the christianity, the bible i didnt understand cuz it alwas give 2 meanings and the church i dont visit like the most young ppl i was thinking the church is for the old people. I started to search outside in other religions, at that time i learned in the school about buddhismus and it sounds good for me it talk about peace and it was understanding more easier than the christian. But it also was not so interessting, well as a german i never god the idea to make information about islam cuz islam was for me the religion for the terrorsit and discirmination of women, some years later at the age of 21 i meet in the internet muslim people one of them she became my friend and sister i asked her many questions and she was so passion with me, after a time she present me her brother, he had a great knowledge about this religion, so we started to talk and talk and hamdoulah he never become tired from my question and God know how much i maked him crazy sometimes :) well with every knowledge that i got i become islam more closer and the brother of my friend also, some month later i was flying to him ( he live tunisia) to visit him and his sister, we spent 3 weeks together, it was great to be in a moslem country and to see everthing the prayerand to hear the athan, hmm i remeber my first night i was shocked from the athan and scared a bit, it is realy different to learn about islam in germany than in a moslim country. after the 3 weeks i came back to my country and many things changed, i start to use the words inchallah, hamdoullah and bismillah and i was reading books and talking everyday with this boy (which was becoming my fiance in the 3 weeks which we spented together), I took the desicion to move to tunisia, in june 2009 i arrived here and in august 2009 i spoke the shahada and now i am married with this boy since october and we are happy everything is great hamdoullah, i never feelt so good in my live and so peacfully, we try to go often as possible to the moshee. the only proble is that my family dont know that i was convert and i dont know how i can tell them, i know that my parents would accept it but in the first moment it will be a shock and this is what i am scared from, this is what make me also not feel ready to wear the hijab, but inchallah God will help me that it become easier for me.

Muslim 4 Life

Asalamu Alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatu!
Jazaka'llah Khair to 'islam is light' for starting this thread!
and also jazaka'llah khair to all who shared or will share their stories!
Very inspiring Masha'llah and may Allah reward you all!

Aaliyah Kelly

Hamdulillah Sister

May Allah always keep you this happy! :mashallah:
and May Allah heelp us all through the difficulties of this dunia, with ease! Insha Allah

Aaliyah Kelly

Sakeena[/COLOR] :hijabi:[/QUOTE]

:salam2: sister Sakeena

I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering!
How is it that you managed to hide it from your family?? Especially regarding Halaal food (PORK), and your dressing??

A big up to you for being able to hide it!!! Because i couldn't!!!

Insha Allah we will get to know each other, and share or stories and worries!!

Waslmz Aaliyah

True_Sultan

A logical believer
why i am muslim

Brother, from the cradle to the grave Islam is what i praise.

I was born a musilm. Islam always had some grasp on me, it interested me. Islam was logical to me and i loved to go to the mosque, i don't know why, its just the feeling :D Also Islam has awakened my inner soul, my personality, my knowledge and logic, my intellengence, my dreams, and also my aspirations, its all hard to explain like it confuses me but yet im attached to it, its just amazing Alhamdulilha :D

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
LIKE A LIGHTNING IN THE SUNNY SKY

:salam2::hijabi: I was born in north Italy 25 years ago,my parents adressed me to Hinduist faith by letting me pray The statues.I didn't believe to those objects,but what could I do?I always posed questions about Allah,where He was and so on,but none told me where to find the answer but my actual husband.He came from Morocco to Italy as a tusist,he liked this State,but the destiny changed his apecative,because he found lots of problems by obteining justice for uncommitted crimes.Allah wanted him to see me and let him to solve his troubles.I learnt Islam from is speeches,I got married to him(whose name is Brahim),from 2006 to nowaday I' his muslim wife and I'm mother of two daughters.A son :inshallah: will come at the end of April.Everything came to me like a lightning in the sunny sky:I was blind and now I see!:ma::subhanallah::muslima: