Yemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutlekM

(CNN) -- In recent days, international attention has refocused on the rapidly deteriorating security situation in Yemen. The claim of responsibility for the attack on Northwest flight 253 on December 25 by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has underscored the fact that Yemen's problems will not stay in Yemen.

In the absence of immediate and sustained attention by the international community, Yemen may be overwhelmed by a unique convergence of crises. While some observers feared this would come in several years, it is increasingly apparent that failure may come sooner than previously expected.

Yemen has frequently been described as a failing state -- and with good reason. Civil war, terrorism, a deepening secessionist movement and economic and demographic trends threaten to overpower the Yemeni government, provide a breeding ground for terrorists and destabilize the region. Yemen has often teetered on the brink of collapse, but it has never faced so many interconnected challenges at one time.

At the heart of the country's problems is a looming economic crisis. Oil is the source of nearly 80 percent of government revenue, and it is quickly running out. There are few viable options for a sustainable post-oil economy, and Yemen is already the poorest country in the Arab world with an unemployment rate conservatively estimated at 35 percent.

Yemen's pending economic collapse has been greatly accelerated by the civil war in Saada. Government forces have been unable to decisively put down the rebels in the north of the country, and there is no military solution to the conflict. The toll in Saada has been severe, with extensive damage to infrastructure and an estimated 175,000 internally displaced people.

The conflict's strain on the Yemeni army has led to questions about the military's ability to simultaneously engage in other operations, including counterterrorism.

The government is spending foreign currency reserves at an alarming rate, recently estimated at more than $200 million per month. Spending on the war will create a major budget deficit next year. Every dollar spent on the civil war is a dollar not spent on addressing the underlying causes of instability in Yemen.

Yemen also is facing a growing secessionist movement in the south of the country. When the war in Saada subsides, it is feared that the secessionist movement will again flare up. The government does not control the entire territory of Yemen, and the emergence of additional areas outside of the capital of Sanaa's control will create more under-governed spaces that can be exploited by terrorist movements.

For the past year, there have been growing indications that al Qaeda is regrouping in Yemen and preparing to strike Western and other targets. Recent counterterrorism measures in Saudi Arabia have forced extremists to seek refuge elsewhere, and analysts have observed a steady flow of extremists relocating to Yemen's under-governed areas.

In spring 2008, al Qaeda operatives in Saudi Arabia were encouraged by local Saudi al Qaeda commanders to escape to Yemen, and by January 2009, the Saudi and Yemeni al Qaeda affiliates merged.

A video announcing the establishment of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula featured two Saudis previously released from the U.S. military detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba -- both assumed leadership positions in the newly formed organization. Mohammed al-Awfi subsequently surrendered to Saudi authorities and Said al-Shihri reportedly escaped a recent counterterrorism strike that preceded the Northwest bombing.

The emergence of the regional al Qaeda group marks a major deterioration of security in Yemen. As recent events have highlighted, Yemen is becoming a base for al Qaeda to mount operations not only inside the country but also across the Arabian Peninsula and internationally.

In August 2009, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula nearly assassinated Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, the Saudi counterterrorism chief, in an attack that was eerily similar to the Christmas Day Northwest bomb attack. Following the attack on Prince Mohammed, it boasted of its new bomb technology and threatened to use its new 'undetectable substance' again.

And in mid-October, several Saudis were killed trying to cross into Saudi Arabia, including the brother of deputy commander Said al-Shihri. According to local press reports, the two were attempting to smuggle several suicide vests into Saudi Arabia.

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula was allegedly bolstered by the relocation of al Qaeda operatives from Pakistan and Afghanistan this summer. Media reports quoted intelligence sources saying that fighters fleeing from South Asia were seeking safe havens in Yemen and Somalia.

Any single event -- or more likely a confluence of worst-case events beyond the ability of the Yemeni government to control -- could lead to a further erosion of central government authority in Yemen and destabilization of the region.

As the central government's authority and legitimacy continue to deteriorate, there will be more opportunities for extremists directed or inspired by al Qaeda to regroup, organize, train and launch operations against U.S. and allied targets throughout the Gulf region and globally.

Military operations to kill or capture al Qaeda operatives will likely increase in 2010. These actions carry risks. Publicly acknowledged American involvement in counterterrorism operations in Yemen would be deeply unpopular in the country, likely undermine the legitimacy of the Yemeni government and feed into the grievances that help fuel al Qaeda militancy.

Development assistance is one of the most effective tools available to address the interconnected long-term challenges facing Yemen. But, U.S. aid is disproportionately small considering the magnitude of the problems facing the country and Yemen's strategic importance to the United States.

In addition to the reported $70 million of military and security assistance, the United States recently announced $121 million in development aid over the next three years, a significant increase from previous years and a vital step in the right direction.

Still, the amount pales in comparison to the $1.5 billion allotted to Pakistan in the next year alone. This disparity persists even as U.S. officials increasingly cite Yemen as a terrorism and security priority second only to Afghanistan and Pakistan.

No perfect solutions exist for Yemen's problems today, and none of its many pressing challenges can be fully averted. However, steps can be taken to lessen their impact. The United States has a stake in helping Yemen deal with its problems, and the cost of inaction would be too great.

Failure to act now would lead to fewer and even worse options in the future. As one administration official recently said to me, "We've seen this movie before, and we know how it ends."

So another muslim country will be ruined just like Iraq.

krackpot

slave warrior caged
I dont understand why ALQAEDA POPS UP WHEREVER THERE IS NEW FOUND OIL....
any idea brothers???? its time some1 kicked the president of america in his butt and asked him to MIND HIS OWN BUSINESS. :X

MutlekM

I dont understand why ALQAEDA POPS UP WHEREVER THERE IS NEW FOUND OIL....
any idea brothers???? its time some1 kicked the president of america in his butt and asked him to MIND HIS OWN BUSINESS. :X

I know crazy huh
Peace

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Not surprising. It was always only a matter of time.

So what muslim countries are yet left to be invaded? You can be sure the western forces will be there soon too.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam aleekum,

you know what kills me the most is the fact that Muslims are killing one another... i swear i cant even talk right now as a yemenia and a muslima im left speechless..I...all i could say is INA LILLAH WA INA ILEEH RAJi3OON.. LA HAWL WELA GUWATA ILLA BILLAH AL ALIUL ATHEEEM....

MutlekM

:salam2:
InshAllah Yemen wont have any serious problems. But I recently heard that one of the signs of the final Day will be an Army coming from Abian(south of Yemen) and Al-Shamm(Syria Lebannon Jordan Palestin) to make the final stand against kufar befor day of Judgement. Correct me if I am wrong or if I misunderstood what I heard.
Peace

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
InshAllah Yemen wont have any serious problems. But I recently heard that one of the signs of the final Day will be an Army coming from Abian(south of Yemen) and Al-Shamm(Syria Lebannon Jordan Palestin) to make the final stand against kufar befor day of Judgement. Correct me if I am wrong or if I misunderstood what I heard.
Peace

Wa alaykum salam,

yes that is correct, but not just any people. There are many pretenders who wish to fill the "shoes" of the Muslims mentioned in those Hadith, for example, the Shirk filled Raafidah in Lebanon. Or the others who incorrectly associate themselves with the Mahdi, and other than them.

Those who are mentioned in these hadith, or the good people in any of the ayaat and Hadith, are those who are completely distant from Shirk, from Bid'ah and who uphold the Qur'an and Sunnah, being from the Firqatul Najiyyah, the Victorious group, that our Prophet Salallahu alayhi wa salam, mentioned.

MutlekM

Wa alaykum salam,

yes that is correct, but not just any people. There are many pretenders who wish to fill the "shoes" of the Muslims mentioned in those Hadith, for example, the Shirk filled Raafidah in Lebanon. Or the others who incorrectly associate themselves with the Mahdi, and other than them.

Those who are mentioned in these hadith, or the good people in any of the ayaat and Hadith, are those who are completely distant from Shirk, from Bid'ah and who uphold the Qur'an and Sunnah, being from the Firqatul Najiyyah, the Victorious group, that our Prophet Salallahu alayhi wa salam, mentioned.

InshAllah we will be those victorious people and shukran for the info.
Peace

here is a report of what the Yemeni government is saying about this so call threat.http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-fg-yemen-embassy4-2010jan04,0,3742615.story

like I said in prev post, there is no presence. It is just a movement on the internet to play that tune. In reality, if any has gone to Yemen, the greatest problem, is Water and Food costs are getting beyond income of people there. Yes there is always going to be a handful of people in any place on earth that will cause problems to innocent people. In Yemen, the tribal system removes it's self from such bad behaviors because of Islam.

wa Allah ya3lam

:wasalam:

MutlekM

here is a report of what the Yemeni government is saying about this so call threat.http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-fg-yemen-embassy4-2010jan04,0,3742615.story

like I said in prev post, there is no presence. It is just a movement on the internet to play that tune. In reality, if any has gone to Yemen, the greatest problem, is Water and Food costs are getting beyond income of people there. Yes there is always going to be a handful of people in any place on earth that will cause problems to innocent people. In Yemen, the tribal system removes it's self from such bad behaviors because of Islam.

wa Allah ya3lam

InshAllah bro
pEACE

MutlekM

wa Allah ya3lam

I am confused bro lately people say that Yemen is going to get invaded then they reopened the embassy and said that Yemen isnt going to get invaded than all of a sudden they are back to saying that America is going to send troops there can anybody clarify what is true and what is not JazakumAllaah khaira.
Salam

northpole

FACT : YEMEN IS FAIL COUNTRY UNDER THE DICTACTOR OF ABDULLAH SALEH
there is war from south, north ,and west of yemen , and those opposition has beign branded as ARKAIDA by abdalah saleh and GANGS and now he seek help to western to eradicate the opposition as he caled terorist ,
i dont say in yemen there is no member of arkaida , you might suprise to find there more arkaida member in uk then in yemen .
the fact we muslim brother kill our brother by use another excuses just to be in power ,as today the yemeni foreign minister declare the nigerian boy was in arkaida before he come to yemen ,
im realy scare with sivil war in yemen the yemenis soon will fight back the goverment , this will be another somalia let pray :salah:this should not happened

MutlekM

FACT : YEMEN IS FAIL COUNTRY UNDER THE DICTACTOR OF ABDULLAH SALEH
there is war from south, north ,and west of yemen , and those opposition has beign branded as ARKAIDA by abdalah saleh and GANGS and now he seek help to western to eradicate the opposition as he caled terorist ,
i dont say in yemen there is no member of arkaida , you might suprise to find there more arkaida member in uk then in yemen .
the fact we muslim brother kill our brother by use another excuses just to be in power ,as today the yemeni foreign minister declare the nigerian boy was in arkaida before he come to yemen ,
im realy scare with sivil war in yemen the yemenis soon will fight back the goverment , this will be another somalia let pray :salah:this should not happened

I know that Yemen is having a civil war since my family is there but my question is that weather america is going to send troops there. JazakAllaah khair for the extra info bro. O yea and there is no such thing as Alqaida according to this video that I got from Yakubpasha(srry if i spelled it wrong) but here it is bro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-hYorNi0nA hope you benefit from it and Thanks again.
Peace

Abu Talib

Feeling low
There are many views on Yemen from Al Qaeda to Houthi and it goes on and on...
We should analyze how did we came to know Al Qaeda was in Yemen?? Did osama came on the TV and said I have a base in Yemen or what?
It's all the western media that makes up things and they are masters of mockery. They want to shift the focus of the world, besides I must admit they are very good at making stories.

So all I say is do not get swayed away by the news. Imagine if you never had a TV or any media how would you know about whats happening there?

Remember we are muslims ALLAAH azza wa jal protects us always ... and make dua for the people there rather than just getting worried and discussing about it

FreedomFighter

The Nigerian boy who ''miraculously" got into the plane WITHOUT A PASSPORT was seen with a rich Indian looking man. The rich Indian looking man apparently helped the boy get into the plane without a passport. After that, the rich Indian looking man was no where to be seen. How could such a thing happen? How could they allow the boy to get into the plane without a passport, considering the high security? Unless of course the Jews were behind this, as they can get away with everything. They only want to make us more confused and make the media point at Muslims, with the word terrorist over the head like a permanent mark. And now they want to increase airport security? If they don't give a damn about how the Jews are betraying them, then this airport security would go to a complete waste of money and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.