"Crescent" has it got anything with islam

raihana

:salam2:
Sisters and brothers.For past few years I have been thinking and seeing crescent in every islam related event or thing.Sometimes it really disturbs me to the crescent in prayer rugs ..mosques..etc..
In my knowledge I dont think islam has got ant symbols excpet the hijab and beard and izaar for men..So what does it really shows?
jazakallah khair
ur sis in islam
:SMILY252:Raihana:SMILY252:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

The crescent has no basis in Islam, nor does the colour green. Both of these are things newly introduced by people. So, we find that many flags now have the crescent or feature green.

aBCHEr

Asalamu aleykum Raihana, I think the crecent and the star are only symbolic features that are used to easily distinguish our religion among other beliefs. They are there for simple recognision unlike the hristian and Jewish David star. Beyond that, they are of no significance to us Muslims. Not at all! That is atleast how I think. Waslamu aleykum

aBCHEr

Salaam again

However I must add they are harmless. We use them to our adantage. Therefore, I think we should not attack those signs as none-Islamic. They are important in many cases. Think about it!

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Sooo, what should our reaction be to mosques with crescents on them? This Indian Christian classmate of mine back in high school said Islam has ties with a pagan moon god and I told him that's crazy ("Islam is all about ONE God"). He asked about the crescent, and I said it's Islam has no symbol. Then he asked me why so many countries and mosques have the crescent on them then if it's not a religious symbol (eg, Tunisia, Pakistan). And many, many mosques.. I had no response.

Even new mosques being built in Australia and New Zealand, sometimes the top of the dome or the mini-minaret has a crescent on it.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Sooo, what should our reaction be to mosques with crescents on them? This Indian Christian classmate of mine back in high school said Islam has ties with a pagan moon god and I told him that's crazy ("Islam is all about ONE God"). He asked about the crescent, and I said it's Islam has no symbol. Then he asked me why so many countries and mosques have the crescent on them then if it's not a religious symbol (eg, Tunisia, Pakistan). And many, many mosques.. I had no response.

Even new mosques being built in Australia and New Zealand, sometimes the top of the dome or the mini-minaret has a crescent on it.

People do it for no reason, without thinking i guess.

Mosques dont need minarets or domes either.

raihana

"Mosques dont need minarets or domes either."[/QUOTE]

:salam2:
So brother why do they use minarets and domes .I read an article about minarets and domes ,and it says that it is to shows the greatness of islam.I think actually the mosques are influenced by thw churches ,chaurches has this narrow kinda figure and on top of it the cross and minarets are round in shape,and ALLAH knows best.

raihana

There are no symbols in Islam. Hijaab, beard and izaar are not symbols of Islam either. Hijaab is worn by many women around the world who are not Muslim, many men have beards and are not Muslim and a lot of men wear an izaar and are not Muslim. the crescent is not a symbol of Islam but became a de facto one. It is harmless unless people start thinking that Muslims worship the moon. As ridiculous as that sounds, some ignorant people actually believe that.

:salam2:bro
Maybe wearing hijaab or keeping beard is the identification of we muslims.And I would also like to add "It is harmless unless people start thinking that Muslims worship the moon. As ridiculous as that sounds, some ignorant people actually believe that.[/QUOTE]"
A non muslim friend of me who is doing a degree in history told me that muslims use moon as a symbol because we fast according to it.Seems stupid for me .:angryred:

raihana

Assalam alaikum.
Sad to say that there is new trend growing among the muslims .Some mosques has started putting the star above the crescent,and in a visit to a muslim country I saw that people they hang stars or moon outside the house to celebrate eid and stuffs.
May ALLAH save from innovations and guide us to the path of Muhammed (peace be upon him).