Loving Allaah

Abu Talib

Feeling low
I want to talk about a subject that I find too many Muslims neglect. I want to talk about love for Allah. We talk about loving for the sake of Allah or fearing Allah, but few of us discuss the subject of loving Allah. I will tackle this issue from several perspectives, the religious and the practical. Our scholars agree that the basis of the ibadah in the deen is fearing Allah to the maximum potential and loving Allah to the maximum potential.

Sheikh Al-Islam, Ibn Taymiyya (may Allah have Mercy upon him) has defined ibadah, according to Islamic law, as follows: "It is the obedience of Allah by following his commands which His messengers preached.". He also said, "Ibadah is a collective term for all that Allah loves of deeds and sayings and actions concealed and revealed (in the heart.) Ibadah has two major conditions. The first of which is the utmost humbling, debasing of oneself, submission, yielding and obedience. The second condition is the utmost love.".

Sheikh Al-Islam, Ibn Taymiyyah, (may Allah have Mercy upon him) after he explained the act of worship as having the meaning of humbling and obedience, said that, "The Ibadah which Allah wants from us is the one which contains the meaning of humbleness and obedience and the meaning of love." He further stated, "Therefore, Ibadah contains the utmost humbleness and obedience and the utmost love to Allah."

Ibn Taymiya (may Allah have Mercy upon him) also said, "And if someone submits to a man while he hates him, he won't be considered as worshiping him. Also, a man can love a son or a friend, but this love alone does not encompass worshiping him." This is why, in worshiping Allah, one of the parts of Ibadah is not enough, even though it is a requirement that Allah must be the most beloved to His servant, more than anything. Allah has to be to him greater than anything. No one is worth the exclusive love and humbleness except Allah. Whatever has been loved for other than the sake of Allah is corrupted, and whatever is glorified for other than the sake of Allah is falsehood. For Allah says,

Say, 'If your parents, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, your wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight are dearer to you than Allah and His apostle, and striving hard and fighting in His cause, then wait until Allah brings about His decision (torment). And Allah guides not the rebellious folk.' (9:24). (Al 'Ubudiyyah by Ibn Taymiya).

Allah also says:

Yet there are men who take (for worship) others besides Allah, as equal (with Allah): They love them as they should love Allah. But those of Faith are overflowing in their love for Allah. If only the unrighteous could see, behold, they would see the penalty: that to Allah belongs all power, and Allah will strongly enforce the penalty. (2:165)

And:

It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah-fearing. (2:177)

And:

Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me (Muhammad): Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (3:31)

The Quraan is filled with such commands to us to love Allah.

Now let us discuss the concept of love. What does it mean to love Allah above all else? Well let us put it into practical terms. When we are filled with love for anyone in this world, be it romantic or friendly or familial love, we give of ourselves selflessly. We pine away when the object of our love is dissatisfied with us, and we do all that is in our power to placate them.

The lover loves to please his love. For the males: If your wife or mum is upset with you, you bend over backwards trying to find an opening into her heart, to gain her forgiveness and love. Females: When your husband or father is angry, you find a way to please them, to make them happy with you again. We all feel the heartbreak of our lover's unhappiness, but how many of us truely feel this when we know that we have pleased Allah, the one deserving of our love more than any other.

Do we really feel the lover's lament over a broken promise or a sin committed? If we do, we are very lucky. I, for one, can not say that I always feel the lover's implications of my action. I don't always think of Allah as the receiver of my love. Usually, I am only concerned about my fear of him, forgetting that He is the most beloved to my heart as well. I Love Allah, so I should show it, as should we all. We must feel the fear, and never forget it. We feel the awe and the respect, but we should never neglect the love. For the reward for this love is beyond words. It is the Love of Allah towards us. What more should I crave? When Allah loves His servant, He commands the Angels and all mankind to love him as well. He forgives him his sins, and He helps him when he is in need. If you have Allah as your love, you need no one else.

O Allah, I beg you to give us the love, fear, awe, respect and reverance for You.

Please open our hearts and guide our deeds to the best for this life and the next.

O Allah, I beg You to grant us Jannah, forgive us our sins, and make us from the best of Your nation.

And O Allah, Al-Wadud, Ar-Rahman, Ar-Raheem, I beseech You to Love us. Ameen.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
O Allah, I beg you to give us the love, fear, awe, respect and reverance for You.
Please open our hearts and guide our deeds to the best for this life and the next.
O Allah, I beg You to grant us Jannah, forgive us our sins, and make us from the best of Your nation.
And O Allah, Al-Wadud, Ar-Rahman, Ar-Raheem, I beseech You to Love us. Ameen.

ameen
ameen
ameen
ameen

jazaak Allah khair