Can the shari'a be legally enforced

faustobiason

Hi everybody

Regarding the shari'a law, now 2 questions:

- when Rowan Williams, the archbishop of Canterbury and leader of the Church of England, said that the Shari'a Law was inevitable in Britain (and attracted tons of vitriol from the right-wing press that called him all sorts of names) a Muslim scholar answered: "there are many denominations of Islam, each with a different interpretation of Shari'a, so which version of the Shari'a Law are we going to enact and enforce?"
and I am hereby asking you the same question;

- we know that Saudi Arabia is governed by Shari'a, however not everyone knows thatmany of those Saudi nationals who can afford it spend almost every week-end in places like Bahrein and Lebanon, and for the sole purpose of having that kind of fun they cannot have inside Saudi Arabia, and I am here talking alcohol, prostitution, etc.

So, if most Saudis say one thing in public and do another in private (or in a bar or brothel) is the Shari'a really enforceable?
Or wouldn't be better to just educate people?

I stopped drinking alcohol altogether 3 years ago when I joined a Christian Fellowship that regards drinking alcohol as a sin, but I am not sure that alcohol can just be prohibited.
America tried in the 1920, Prohibitionism, remember, and what happened?
AL CAPONE !!!

SO, isn't it better to leave Shari'a Law to civil matters, as it is already happening in Britain?

Fausto

Salem9022

Hi everybody

Regarding the shari'a law, now 2 questions:

- when Rowan Williams, the archbishop of Canterbury and leader of the Church of England, said that the Shari'a Law was inevitable in Britain (and attracted tons of vitriol from the right-wing press that called him all sorts of names) a Muslim scholar answered: "there are many denominations of Islam, each with a different interpretation of Shari'a, so which version of the Shari'a Law are we going to enact and enforce?"
and I am hereby asking you the same question;

- we know that Saudi Arabia is governed by Shari'a, however not everyone knows thatmany of those Saudi nationals who can afford it spend almost every week-end in places like Bahrein and Lebanon, and for the sole purpose of having that kind of fun they cannot have inside Saudi Arabia, and I am here talking alcohol, prostitution, etc.

So, if most Saudis say one thing in public and do another in private (or in a bar or brothel) is the Shari'a really enforceable?
Or wouldn't be better to just educate people?

I stopped drinking alcohol altogether 3 years ago when I joined a Christian Fellowship that regards drinking alcohol as a sin, but I am not sure that alcohol can just be prohibited.
AL CAPONE !!!

SO, isn't it better to leave Shari'a Law to civil matters, as it is already happening in Britain?

Fausto

What do you Mean "Most" Saudies? Your telling me that 19 Million Saudies Go to Lebanon and Bahrain so they can drink Alchohol and look for Prostitution?? You are making it seem as if Alchohol and Prostitution is OKAY in Lebanon or Bahrain.

There are Laws in Bahrain and in Lebanon against Alchohol AND Prostitution. A Women can be executed in Bahrain for Prostitution and a Bahraini National can go to Jail in Bahrain if he seen with Alchohol. The only difference between Bahrain and Saudi Arabia is that in Bahrain you have many tourists and perverts around the world going there to sell themselves and bring drugs with them.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
faustobiason,

Many Western Paedophiles go to India and other asian countries to have sex with children. Because the law is not enforced so strictly there.

So, should the Western countries make it legal in their countries ?

Similiarly, just because some people want to exploit Women and drink Alcohol doesnot mean the laws should be changed to accomodate them.

In Islam Women are respected and protected. Prostitution is illegal according to Islamic Law

It is really ironic that I have to type this and explain someone from "Progressive Western Country" about evils of prostitution.

Same about intoxicating drinks, after drinking which a person forgets the difference between his Sister or Mother and Wife.

If some countries make these shameless deeds legal then it is the Laws over there that need to changed. Indeed these are made Illegal in every Country, the World would be a better Place.

And if some people do these shameless acts, it is these people who need to be educated about Islaam.

And how ironic is your loaded question "Is Shariah really enforceable?", because it is coming at a time when Western Economies are melting away due to them being based on interest which is forbidden in Islaam, morality has reached such a low that people are locking up their own Kids as Sex Slaves. Family structure has crumbled and Crimes are at historic highs.

Now compare these evils with Muslim Countries which enforce Islamic law (more or less) and you would find that these evils are almost absent if not negligible there.

No wonder, even Capitalists are turning to Islamic Economics. Not because they like Islaam, because they want to reap the benefit that it has to offer.

I would request you to first learn about basics of Islaam, know your Creator and what he expects from you if you are indeed sincere in learning about Islaam.

Brother Mabsoot has already posted many links about these beneficial issues in Islaam. Did you had a chance to go through them ?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It is simple. As an individual you must make up your mind. Do you follow the Will of Allah or do you follow the faulty laws of man, that change every second. Good is absolute.

What others do is their business. Enjoin that which Allah gives us and prohibit that which is wrong. I worship that which I worship. To you yours to me, mine.

If, as a Muslim I sin. I am aware that I am sinning. And I hurt none other than my soul.

We make a choice to fear Allah. Thus, we do all we can to Please Him.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Hi there

In my personal opinion every Muslim is individual by himselfe and he like individual has right to chose will he going to do haalal things and avoid haram, or will he be displeasing Allah with alcohol or prostitution Astagfirullah.
We do not know who practise Islaam and how much is those Saudis who are doing these haraam things. I am sure there are many like that, but still Alhamdulillah we belive that there are truthfull Muslims too living in Saudia Arabia. Sharia Law is needed and it is order from Allah subahn we tela which need to be acoamplish in every Muslim comunity.
Only education is not enough, every country needs to have both, law and education, and thier citizen need to know the law of thier country.

Maybe you wanted to say that there are those who break Shariah law, because it is enforced on them,and you think if they would only educate themselves without Shariah law being established, they would act diffrently but that is not truth. Because we have example of many countries which do not have established Shariah law, where are happeing much more worse things and there are less practising Muslims than in Saudia Arabia.
Alhmadulillah, Shariah law is strict and it gives security, because those Muslims who do not have enough fear of Allah or less eman, they are not doing unlawfull things because of the fear of Shariah punishment.

If every country would establish Sharaih law and if punishments were so strict like Allah has ordered ,many bad things would be prevented. Allah knows the best,and that is why we know that Shairah and living by Shariah is only cure for all world, SubhanAllah,

And Allah knows the best

May Allah guide us all

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
AL CAPONE !!!

If you compare the enforcement of the Eighteenth Amendment with the introduction of the ban on alcohol in Madeenah at the time of the Prophet Muhammad :saw:, you will notice the stark difference between the two societies, one in which there was the added dimension of fearing Allaah and obedience to His commands and on the other hand, an increasingly secular society in which they had little God-awareness in their lives in comparison to the former.

No Al-Capone emerged in Arabia at the time.

esmajic

Assalaam'alaikum,

In Islam there is strict rule of privacy, no one is allowed to intrude your privacy for any reason it is forbidden - spying someone is forbidden - it is a sin.

That is one of basics of Sharia (the law of God), so whatever one does in his privacy inside his home, or somewhere where he wont be seen in other non-Sharia or non-Islamic societies he is protected by the same Sharia that he is breaking.

Pearson can be the most corrupted on earth, compete nonbeliever and sinner and he is protected all the way UNTIL he decides to share his corruption with Sharia-based society where he lives.

So, 99,9999% of one country's population can be nonbelievers and sinners and only 0,0001% to be true Muslims and still that country can be governed by Sharia law as long as those 99,9999% don't practice their corruption publicly.

Sharia is there to protect everybody not just rulers and rich or governing class or just arabs or just Muslims it is a law to protect everybody living in true Islamic society. Now, it is not always been practiced and conducted in proper way but that doesn't mean that it is faulty since it has also been practiced and conducted property - but that is same with laws that humans made.

Only difference between Sharia (law prescribed by God) and mans made laws is that we as people are not perfect so we tend to make things that will benefit us privately or our group and by doing so we can make harm to others but as long we and our group is fine we are not upset.
You can se this if you analyze history of man made laws, they are constantly being changed - there is one ruling for something, then other ruler came and he brought some new laws and changed others, then new ruler came he brought his laws, then complete political system changed (communism, democracy, etc..) that completely changed laws altogether but still laws are being changed and modified on day to day basics... - basically what can happen to you is that you leave your "democratic" country for 10 years and when you came back you could be doing law violations on left and right by not knowing it and you could easily be locked away by simply doing things that were ok 10 years ago.

On the other side, Sharia is constant unchanged and over all justice for everybody at all times, there are clear rules for what are limits of ruler or ruling class. No ruler can have one law for him and other for his subjects it is a same law, what is forbidden to him it is forbidden to general public, what is allowed to him it is allowed to general public. Also there are rules when one ruler is allowed to rule and when he is not and when people should revolt, etc... etc...

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalaam'alaikum,

In Islam there is strict rule of privacy, no one is allowed to intrude your privacy for any reason it is forbidden - spying someone is forbidden - it is a sin.

That is one of basics of Sharia (the law of God), so whatever one does in his privacy inside his home, or somewhere where he wont be seen in other non-Sharia or non-Islamic societies he is protected by the same Sharia that he is breaking.

, etc... etc...

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

If you have established law, in this case Shariah law ( the law of Allah) applyed in the same times on individuals and the country, and you decide to break its norms in private as you brother mentioned. Lets say for example one has been succesfull in breaking those norms without being seen and caught on the place of crime. But still that does not mean he did not broke those norms and rules, becouse he did, but he only was not caught, what has prevented him beeing processed by the relevant authorities.

If it happend that after some time his private crime be discovered, on him will be applyed Shariah law becouse he has broke the norms of that law. Breaking norms and rules of Shariah law is a fact that exists by itselfe it does not metter was someone caught or not while breaking them, they are still violeted by that individual.

One law (Shariah law in this case) is protecting the one on who is applyed as long as he is not breaking its norms, in every others case the same law is punishing this individual for not respecting them and violeting them.

In any case every Muslim should know that if he does not respond on this world to his state for breaking the Shariah law, he will respond to Allah on other world and punishment will be million times severe than on this world.

And Allah knows the best

May Allah guide us all

Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

arzafar

If you have established law, in this case Shariah law ( the law of Allah) applyed in the same times on individuals and the country, and you decide to break its norms in private as you brother mentioned. Lets say for example one has been succesfull in breaking those norms without being seen and caught on the place of crime. But still that does not mean he did not broke those norms and rules, becouse he did, but he only was not caught, what has prevented him beeing processed by the relevant authorities.

If it happend that after some time his private crime be discovered, on him will be applyed Shariah law becouse he has broke the norms of that law. Breaking norms and rules of Shariah law is a fact that exists by itselfe it does not metter was someone caught or not while breaking them, they are still violeted by that individual.

One law (Shariah law in this case) is protecting the one on who is applyed as long as he is not breaking its norms, in every others case the same law is punishing this individual for not respecting them and violeting them.

In any case every Muslim should know that if he does not respond on this world to his state for breaking the Shariah law, he will respond to Allah on other world and punishment will be million times severe than on this world.

And Allah knows the best

May Allah guide us all

but punishments can only be give with proper witnesses and testimonies.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
but punishments can only be give with proper witnesses and testimonies.

Asslamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Yes offcourse dear brother. Allhamdullilah it is like that and noone here stated opositive of that, maybe we only did not enter in the subject of "punishment more "deeply" . Particular trial will be held for each particular case, and the final verdict will be fair(just) and in accordance with Shari'a law.

May Allah bless you

esmajic

And Allah knows the best

May Allah guide us all

We'aleikum'selam we rahmetullah we barekatuh,

Point is that as long as one publicly acts according to Sharia he is ok, sincerity of someones deeds is between him and Allah.

When he starts speaking to others agains anything in Islam, tell others to violate laws, commit public crimes, etc... he is no longer protected.
But, as long as he keeps his views, idol worshiping, crimes etc... for himself, and don't try to call others into shirk and crime he is protected. We don't know about ones sincerity and we are not allowed to try to read someones mind. If person seems to conduct everything that is required to be Muslim then we regard him as Muslim - only Allah knows how much someone is sincere

- - -

Never in our history there was a Muslim land with 100% Muslim population and with 100% true believers (not even Medinah at the time of Prophet saws), in some areas it took even centuries for majority of population to accept Islam but that doesn't mean that they disobeyed Sharia they accepted it and lived according to it, they only conducted their religious practices differently and atheists haven't propagated atheism in any way (they were of the street at the time of salah, etc...)

Rashadi

salaam aleykom, first of all, saudi arabia does not follow sharia but has a secular constitution. some parts of sharia are used but most is ignored. some saudis even drink etc in their own country since there are secret spots. as for sharia in general, it is ehat muslims must abide by but it also has to be properly understood and applied. muslim majority countries don't even want to livd by sharia so i don't think the west is obligated to allow it and even if it did, then muslims must accept it all, including the punishments such as lashing for zina, cutting of hand of thieves etc. i also disagree with the "many denominations" because Islam does not have any. there are movements and fifferent opinions, ideas, interpretations but not denominations. even shia and sunni do not fall under denominations because there is only one q'uran and both agree on the generals and pillars. there are people who wish to divide islam and create sects but they will never succeed inshaAllah.

faustobiason

And how ironic is your loaded question "Is Shariah really enforceable?", because it is coming at a time when Western Economies are melting away due to them being based on interest which is forbidden in Islaam, morality has reached such a low that people are locking up their own Kids as Sex Slaves. Family structure has crumbled and Crimes are at historic highs.

Now compare these evils with Muslim Countries which enforce Islamic law (more or less) and you would find that these evils are almost absent if not negligible there.

No wonder, even Capitalists are turning to Islamic Economics. Not because they like Islaam, because they want to reap the benefit that it has to offer.

I would request you to first learn about basics of Islaam, know your Creator and what he expects from you if you are indeed sincere in learning about Islaam.

Brother Mabsoot has already posted many links about these beneficial issues in Islaam. Did you had a chance to go through them ?

Hi abubaseer

Yes, I already have plenty of books on Islam at home and I am reading them, and I am also having a look at all this material you are talking about, just give me time to digest all of it.

Regarding the application of Shari'a Law, I forgot to ask one question at the beginning of the thread:
"are you a kaafir if you disagree with the death penalty?"

I am a lifelong opponent of the death penalty, and so is my wife.
We have so many arguments against the deth penalty that we could write a book !!!
And of course limb amputation is simply out of the question, because we believe in rehabilitation rather than punishment.

That is why I asked the original question in the first place "shouldn't the Shari'a be limited to the civil law and left totally out of the criminal law altogether?"

Are yo with me now?

Fausto

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
hi fausto,:)
no i'm definately not with you even now.may be some one more knowledgeable can answer your question of rehabilitation*preferance*nicely.

however you'll release the importance of these penalties if you compare the crime rates of countries where shariah is imposed to that where it is not.according to a report that i read sometime in 2007,3.1 women are raped every second in the US.you think there are no rehabilitation centers?programmes in US???think about it,wud this be the rate had one of these criminals been stoned to death in public.it wud have been a lesson to the others and may have stopped.

it' just one example out of so many........

rehabilitation won't work in so many cases...........

arzafar

Hi abubaseer

Yes, I already have plenty of books on Islam at home and I am reading them, and I am also having a look at all this material you are talking about, just give me time to digest all of it.

Regarding the application of Shari'a Law, I forgot to ask one question at the beginning of the thread:

We have so many arguments against the deth penalty that we could write a book !!!
And of course limb amputation is simply out of the question, because we believe in rehabilitation rather than punishment.

That is why I asked the original question in the first place "shouldn't the Shari'a be limited to the civil law and left totally out of the criminal law altogether?"

Are yo with me now?

Fausto
no

Fausto bro why do you think death penalty is cruel?

dont you think murder, fornication or rape is cruel and that the criminals must receive a cruel punishment?

why should the murderer or rapist be let to live a comfy life in jail while the victim's family suffers?

Jails are run through taxes right! why should the rest of the people (who have nothing to do with the incident) pay for a criminal's food, health, electricity, education, living expenses, for 10, 20 or 30 years depending on his sentence. there are people doing two jobs struggling to feed their families you know. dont you think maintaining prisons is cruel for them?

dont you think rehab comes at a huge expense and is therefore burden to the rest of the population? it's proven beyond doubt that most criminals repeat crimes after being released from prison. rehab has a very poor success rate. (http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0603-02.htm)

dont you think islamic corporal punishments would discourage people from committing or repeating their crimes making for a safer society.

do you still think death penalty or corporal punishment is cruel? if yes then i would like to hear your reasons

:salam2:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Hi abubaseer

Are yo with me now?

Fausto

Hi Fusto

I am sorry to say, but Alhmadulillah I do not agree with you neither. We as Muslims belive that Shariah punishment is strict but it is also just, because if someone commits big crimes, like murder, rape, zina etc, he deserves to be strictly punished, like Allah is ordering us,and He is The Most Just.
If we think how only strict will be Allahs punishment on onother world, milion times more biger than on this world, so can we say now that these punishments are cruel, Astagfirullah. Alhamdulillah they are strict but they are also just.
Lets take for example that some man killed other man, how can we say that he has right to take someones life, but that he does not deserve to get equal punishment for what he did. In this case, just punishment would be death penalty. But also in other cases as well, if somone is doing some big crimes in Islaam,than Alhamdulillah he deserves to be punished by Allahs Law, because that is only what is just.

And again to remaind, Allahs punishment will be milion times more strict,

Shariah Law is there, to keep, protect, and educate the societey, but aslo to provide justice and equality for everyone. Shariah law by its strict punishments is educating society and preventing them to do bad things. These strict punishments are providing much more safety, than in socites where so strict punishments are not prescribed.

May Allah guide you

faustobiason

hi fausto,:)
no i'm definately not with you even now.may be some one more knowledgeable can answer your question of rehabilitation*preferance*nicely.

however you'll release the importance of these penalties if you compare the crime rates of countries where shariah is imposed to that where it is not.according to a report that i read sometime in 2007,3.1 women are raped every second in the US.you think there are no rehabilitation centers?programmes in US???think about it,wud this be the rate had one of these criminals been stoned to death in public.it wud have been a lesson to the others and may have stopped.

it' just one example out of so many........

rehabilitation won't work in so many cases...........

no

dont you think murder, fornication or rape is cruel and that the criminals must receive a cruel punishment?

why should the murderer or rapist be let to live a comfy life in jail while the victim's family suffers?

Jails are run through taxes right! why should the rest of the people (who have nothing to do with the incident) pay for a criminal's food, health, electricity, education, living expenses, for 10, 20 or 30 years depending on his sentence. there are people doing two jobs struggling to feed their families you know. dont you think maintaining prisons is cruel for them?

dont you think rehab comes at a huge expense and is therefore burden to the rest of the population? it's proven beyond doubt that most criminals repeat crimes after being released from prison. rehab has a very poor success rate. (http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0603-02.htm)

dont you think islamic corporal punishments would discourage people from committing or repeating their crimes making for a safer society.

do you still think death penalty or corporal punishment is cruel? if yes then i would like to hear your reasons

Hi Fusto

I am sorry to say, but Alhmadulillah I do not agree with you neither. We as Muslims belive that Shariah punishment is strict but it is also just, because if someone commits big crimes, like murder, rape, zina etc, he deserves to be strictly punished, like Allah is ordering us,and He is The Most Just.
If we think how only strict will be Allahs punishment on onother world, milion times more biger than on this world, so can we say now that these punishments are cruel, Astagfirullah. Alhamdulillah they are strict but they are also just.
Lets take for example that some man killed other man, how can we say that he has right to take someones life, but that he does not deserve to get equal punishment for what he did. In this case, just punishment would be death penalty. But also in other cases as well, if somone is doing some big crimes in Islaam,than Alhamdulillah he deserves to be punished by Allahs Law, because that is only what is just.

And again to remaind, Allahs punishment will be milion times more strict,

Shariah Law is there, to keep, protect, and educate the societey, but aslo to provide justice and equality for everyone. Shariah law by its strict punishments is educating society and preventing them to do bad things. These strict punishments are providing much more safety, than in socites where so strict punishments are not prescribed.

May Allah guide you

I understand where you people are coming from.
Well, what can I say, I used to be a social worker, and I still think like one...
Any social worker here?

faustobiason

no

(http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0603-02.htm)

a-Ha, this one of the many things that the report says:

"A likely reason for the increase in recidivism, Professor Petersilia said, is
that state governments, to save money and to be seen as tough on crime, cut back on rehabilitation programs, like drug treatment, vocational education and classes to prepare prisoners for life at home."

Mmmm, what you are saying is by no means new or confined to Islam or Shari'a Law; many people in the US religious rights (the highly despicable Christian Fundamentalists) have repeatedly said the same things as you.

Fausto

PS: ever heard the case of Sacco and Vanzetti, the 2 Italians executed in the US in 1927 at the end of an awful trial and then found innocent 50 years later? What does the Shari'a Law say in a case like this? HOw does the Shari'a address miscarriages of justice?

jundulah

a-Ha, this one of the many things that the report says:

"A likely reason for the increase in recidivism, Professor Petersilia said, is
that state governments, to save money and to be seen as tough on crime, cut back on rehabilitation programs, like drug treatment, vocational education and classes to prepare prisoners for life at home."

Mmmm, what you are saying is by no means new or confined to Islam or Shari'a Law; many people in the US religious rights (the highly despicable Christian Fundamentalists) have repeatedly said the same things as you.

Fausto

PS: ever heard the case of Sacco and Vanzetti, the 2 Italians executed in the US in 1927 at the end of an awful trial and then found innocent 50 years later? What does the Shari'a Law say in a case like this? HOw does the Shari'a address miscarriages of justice?

hi fausto, you can't compare the so called christian fundmentalists who have man made laws that they don't even adhere to themselves to the Muslims. As for the 2 Italians executed and the prevalent miscariages of justice is due to following the man made laws .In Islam and Sharia we don't have such things. as the sharia have put strict laws and bedrock evidences in establishing someones guilt. there is no humpty dumpty judges in our Sharia or the so called kangaroo courts.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
I understand where you people are coming from.
Well, what can I say, I used to be a social worker, and I still think like one...
Any social worker here?

Hi Fausto again

Allhamdullilah that you understood what we have said and if you study well Shariah law you will understand the wisdom of all its norms.

I apologise but if I can ask you why do you ask is there any social worker here. How would you conect that with your question regarding Shariah law???

Thank you