is television haram??

iloveislam78

salam all

As islam teaches men and women to lower their gaze then isnt television directly disobeying this command i mean even watching the news ur looking at the opposite sex ........staring at them even???

please if anyone knows the answer do tell, and please try and give facts as oppose to opinion

jazakallah

4mMadara2Amina

...wanna know too...

So do me... Hehe... And now we see there are so many people reachign for the answers and it is great someone ask and helkp many more.

dunno

Television is a tool It's not haram or halal
It all depends on what you watch on TV
if you watch for example an islamic lecture it's not only halal but inshallah u will get good deeds out of it
and if you watch something that is haram for example a bad movie etc.... then it's haram

when your watching the news your not really *staring* at the woman/man that is presenting the news your simply focused on the news itself.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

As was stated television in and of itself is neither Halal or Haraam in and of itself, if we are honest with ourselves. It's programing and propaganda is haraam. The United Pentecostal and some Baptists denominations have from the very beginning labeled television as a negative influence in the home which should be avoid.

The argument that it has an on and off switch and a channel changer doesn't really hold water when once something is seen it can be unseen. When watching television, the hand isn't quicker than the eye.

I know we use Al Qur'an and Sunnah as our guide; however, the bible has useful verses in it:

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Rom 1:18 لأَنَّ غَضَبَ اللهِ مُعْلَنٌ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ عَلَى جَمِيعِ فُجُورِ النَّاسِ وَإِثْمِهِمِ الَّذِينَ يَحْجِزُونَ الْحَقَّ بِالإِثْمِ.
Rom 1:19 إِذْ مَعْرِفَةُ اللهِ ظَاهِرَةٌ فِيهِمْ لأَنَّ اللهَ أَظْهَرَهَا لَهُمْ
Rom 1:20 لأَنَّ مُنْذُ خَلْقِ الْعَالَمِ تُرَى أُمُورُهُ غَيْرُ الْمَنْظُورَةِ وَقُدْرَتُهُ السَّرْمَدِيَّةُ وَلاَهُوتُهُ مُدْرَكَةً بِالْمَصْنُوعَاتِ حَتَّى إِنَّهُمْ بِلاَ عُذْرٍ.
Rom 1:21 لأَنَّهُمْ لَمَّا عَرَفُوا اللهَ لَمْ يُمَجِّدُوهُ أَوْ يَشْكُرُوهُ كَإِلَهٍ بَلْ حَمِقُوا فِي أَفْكَارِهِمْ وَأَظْلَمَ قَلْبُهُمُ الْغَبِيُّ.
Rom 1:22 وَبَيْنَمَا هُمْ يَزْعُمُونَ أَنَّهُمْ حُكَمَاءُ صَارُوا جُهَلاَءَ
Rom 1:23 وَأَبْدَلُوا مَجْدَ اللهِ الَّذِي لاَ يَفْنَى بِشِبْهِ صُورَةِ الإِنْسَانِ الَّذِي يَفْنَى وَالطُّيُورِ وَالدَّوَابِّ وَالزَّحَّافَاتِ.
Rom 1:24 لِذَلِكَ أَسْلَمَهُمُ اللهُ أَيْضاً فِي شَهَوَاتِ قُلُوبِهِمْ إِلَى النَّجَاسَةِ لإِهَانَةِ أَجْسَادِهِمْ بَيْنَ ذَوَاتِهِمِ.
Rom 1:25 الَّذِينَ اسْتَبْدَلُوا حَقَّ اللهِ بِالْكَذِبِ وَاتَّقَوْا وَعَبَدُوا الْمَخْلُوقَ دُونَ الْخَالِقِ الَّذِي هُوَ مُبَارَكٌ إِلَى الأَبَدِ. آمِينَ.
Rom 1:26 لِذَلِكَ أَسْلَمَهُمُ اللهُ إِلَى أَهْوَاءِ الْهَوَانِ لأَنَّ إِنَاثَهُمُ اسْتَبْدَلْنَ الاِسْتِعْمَالَ الطَّبِيعِيَّ بِالَّذِي عَلَى خِلاَفِ الطَّبِيعَةِ
Rom 1:27 وَكَذَلِكَ الذُّكُورُ أَيْضاً تَارِكِينَ اسْتِعْمَالَ الأُنْثَى الطَّبِيعِيَّ اشْتَعَلُوا بِشَهْوَتِهِمْ بَعْضِهِمْ لِبَعْضٍ فَاعِلِينَ الْفَحْشَاءَ ذُكُوراً بِذُكُورٍ وَنَائِلِينَ فِي أَنْفُسِهِمْ جَزَاءَ ضَلاَلِهِمِ الْمُحِقَّ.
Rom 1:28 وَكَمَا لَمْ يَسْتَحْسِنُوا أَنْ يُبْقُوا اللهَ فِي مَعْرِفَتِهِمْ أَسْلَمَهُمُ اللهُ إِلَى ذِهْنٍ مَرْفُوضٍ لِيَفْعَلُوا مَا لاَ يَلِيقُ.
Rom 1:29 مَمْلُوئِينَ مِنْ كُلِّ إِثْمٍ وَزِناً وَشَرٍّ وَطَمَعٍ وَخُبْثٍ مَشْحُونِينَ حَسَداً وَقَتْلاً وَخِصَاماً وَمَكْراً وَسُوءاً
Rom 1:30 نَمَّامِينَ مُفْتَرِينَ مُبْغِضِينَ لِلَّهِ ثَالِبِينَ مُتَعَظِّمِينَ مُدَّعِينَ مُبْتَدِعِينَ شُرُوراً غَيْرَ طَائِعِينَ لِلْوَالِدَيْنِ
Rom 1:31 بِلاَ فَهْمٍ وَلاَ عَهْدٍ وَلاَ حُنُوٍّ وَلاَ رِضىً وَلاَ رَحْمَةٍ.
Rom 1:32 الَّذِينَ إِذْ عَرَفُوا حُكْمَ اللهِ أَنَّ الَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ مِثْلَ هَذِهِ يَسْتَوْجِبُونَ الْمَوْتَ لاَ يَفْعَلُونَهَا فَقَطْ بَلْ أَيْضاً يُسَرُّونَ بِالَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ!

If one watches videos that are faith (what is the Arabic word for faith?) strengthening and educational, informational, etc than television is wonderful. However, even the most innocent appearing programs can have commercials that are haraam.

Fatih*

It's not Harram, it could be used for good as well. (Watching the tarweeh in Saudia Arabia during Ramadhan.) It depends how you use it. My teacher mashAllah is a scholar and he has a TV, but he uses it play Xbox. :D

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu Alaykum, Brother Fatih, you are correct in that the television is not haraam in and of itself. It is merely a window through which the world may enter. I use to tell my congregation that if they could control what comes through the television 24 hours a day as they control what comes through the doors and windows of their homes, then by all means own a television.

As for me, I find that the commercials for haraam and the previews for haraam shows and the subtle haraam remarks that are placed within otherwise halal programs causes it to be haraam for me.

[yt]AHrFr6ijigU[/yt]

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
[yt]Z8lSZ4R0lwE[/yt]

[yt]M3idTMTxrps&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]Xi2ugHb9f4Y&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]yNqQ5sRYh-o&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]TzrSOsnUlAE&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]Y8dPT2Ytyrw&feature=related[/yt]

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
Salaam iu'm trying to stay away from it but it is very hard sinse i've been braught up with tv wtch it constantly, however i also no it is very wrong and i would advise people stay away from it...can't say whether its haraam or halal akhi...don't have the right to give fatwa

wasalaam

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Things I didn't know about Facebook

[yt]6TN5phfu3mE&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]ULbRTWp4UIA&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]FNdwDfhBMXI&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]EOfo7XNrWcc&feature=related[/yt]

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullah,

Here's a similar thread from a few years back. Some of the posts contains fatwa and beneficial facts regarding watching TV.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5423

And as for me, I dont find any interest anymore in watching TV. Well yes, it actually depends on the individual on whether to watch TV or not but I think I wont be feeling anything even if I dont watch TV in a year :rolleyes: I can just simply read the news in the newspaper though. Besides, I take quite some time to read every article/news in the newspaper lol

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullah.

iloveislam78

hmmmmmmmm

i always had a feeling it was wrong, its only human nature if there is a good loooking man or woman to recognise that, thus it does become haram in that sense,, i guess it would be wise to avoid the tv, i mean even the channels from muslim countries are trying to be western and contain lots of haram.........

4mMadara2Amina

>*<

And this all fo the information (including videos and comments) gave me a lot of more knowledge.!!!
Thank you so much for asking such a question.
For me something really new.:hijabi: