The law in islam about dog

Cinta

Salammualaikum,

I need to know about the law in Islam about having dog in our appartment.
I need to know about this because we have to take care of my mother in law's dog while she is traveling abroad for 1 month.
we have no any choice. But I need to know what are things I am allowed to do what is not. Maybe like some other countries, in Sweden we have to take him out for a walk at least 3 times a day. What should I do if I'm get exposed with his saliva?

Need more information about Islam's view regarding having dog in our place.

Wassalam,
:tti_sister:

Latifabonu

Alhamdulillah
:salam2: dear sister I!! first of all welcome!! I think its not alowed to have dog in our appartment but Allah knows best!!!

Mohamad Fazril

assalamualaikum, it is not really probihited to keep dog if it was for hunting or security. only angel will not enter your house if there is dog inside.

arzafar

1 month = 4 weeks
so you have to come into contact with the dog 3 x 4 = 12 times. i think that's too much, 1 or 2 may have been forgiven.
request a non muslim neighbor or friend to do you this favor.

edit:

i just realized it was 3 times/day!!!
so that's 90times /month. I think you should ask your neighbor who owns dogs to help you in this mater or contact a dog center.

Talat

Salam
In Islam a dog can be owned for purposes such as the following:

1. A trained dog for hunting. Remember in Islam we are only allowed to hunt for food; there is no such thing as hunting for fun, for we are not allowed to kill or torture animals or drive them out of their habitats for the fun of it.

2. A trained dog as a guide. This would be the case if a person is blind and he/she has no choice but to keep a dog for essential services. In this case, it is permissible for him/her to keep a dog inside the house once it has been trained for service, but it is still recommended that the dog have its own sleeping arrangement.

3. A dog trained for police duties.

4. A guard dog to guard houses or property.

5. A dog used by farmers to shepherd cattle and sheep.

We are, however, not allowed to keep a dog as a pet, since it is not a very clean animal. How often have you come across the nasty sight of dogs taken for a walk licking their own excrement? Isn’t it disgusting to see their owners kissing the mouth of such animals after such incidents as if nothing happened? Would you kiss the mouth of your own baby if he were to do the same? Think how many parasites and microbes may be hiding in their mouths.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has spared us from being contaminated by such filth when he ordered us to stay clear of the saliva of dogs. If we ever come into contact with a dog’s saliva we must wash the spot seven times, the first of which should be with sand or dirt. It is also possible to use a bacterial soap instead of sand or dirt.

however, if you must look after a dog for the reason you have mentioned ,then you may do so. But take every precaution not to have contact with its saliva, and also arrange for a separate living space.
:wasalam:

cookiedough-123

salam alikum

about sliva touchin ones skin u have to clean oneself 7 times or take shower. maybe someone can provide arabic or english hadith or quran. inshALLAH. thats what my family do with there dogs when they take um dessert . also havin dogs in the home stops angels of mercy into the home. i see ur doin this out of helpin someone ALLAH knows and sees everythin

Cinta

:ma: Sisters, Brothers....Thank you so much for the reply!!!
This is really useful. Seems that we have no second option except to take care of him but at least I know what should I avoid.

Thank you again.

May Allah rewards you all.

Amien.
:hearts:

jabcrosshook

Salam

Asalam Alaykum Cinta and everyone else,

I hope you don't mind if I jump in on your post as my question also involves dogs. Will you all it. If not I will open another topic. :) Thanks have a great day.

Tony

rightpath_357

I guess you can look after it sis. :)

I love dogs- but I can't keep one. :lol:

Just make sure you don't touch it's saliva or sweat often- you'll have to take a shower or make wud'u 7 times.

Take it out for excersise- feed it- care for it- play with it- give it attention- basicly, just treat it well. :)

Hope this helps sis. :hearts:
Salam!!!! :D

elysetexel

cats?

well now Iam a bit concerned, because I have two cats. I know the prophet Mohammed(mpbuh) liked cats, but is it alloud to have them as pets.Or is it forbidden just like dogs?

Elyse:hearts:

jabcrosshook

thank you

Thank you Right Path_357, :)

Asalam Alaykum, :)

I am pretty new to this site. This is probably my 6th or 7th post. Anyhow I have a rather complicated question. Complicated on my part though. I have read from various sources that keeping a dog is haram unless for hunting or protection but not as a pet and never in the home. It is said Angels will not come into a home with dogs. Ok here is my question.

1. Why will Angels not be in the same home as a dog?

My situation is I am considering reversion and have been for some time. My wife is not a muslim and knows about my thougts. She if fine with it all. :) We had a dog prior to me becoming Muslim. Well, basically it's her dog. I mean I help out in feeding the dog etc but it is her dog. Does this mean I have to ask her to get rid of her dog if I become a Muslim??

2. I understand they are haram probably because they are not clean animals. Why haram though. I can undestand say Alcohol or adultry but why dogs??

Thanks, this has bothered me quite a bit. Does this mean all my prayers are not heard because there is a dog in the house? Thanks for the advice brothers and sisters.

The cat question was pretty good to. We have a couple of cats as well.

Tony

muharram23

Staff member
about sliva touchin ones skin u have to clean oneself 7 times or take shower. maybe someone can provide arabic or english hadith or quran. inshALLAH. thats what my family do with there dogs when they take um dessert . also havin dogs in the home stops angels of mercy into the home. i see ur doin this out of helpin someone ALLAH knows and sees everythin

Salamu alaykum

how do u conclude this? Upon what evidence. The Hadith that is mentioned in sunnan nesai and others mention the must of washing the vessel the the prophet :saw: and companions used to have for ablution if a dog drinks from it. We can not use this Hadith and make it a general conclusuion that if the dog touches anything with his mouth, tounge or saliva has to be washed 7x and one time with dust (today it can be soap, shampoo etc).

Especially, that some scholars held the view that the dogs saliva was not impure because the dog is used for hunting. And we know that the only way the dog will bring the pray is in his mouth. So it will be mixed with saliva etc. So are we allowed to eat this, or do we need to wash it six times, or or or etc

so we have be careful since there is a difference of opinion amongst scholars.

The dog should used for protecting once sheep, cattle, garden, hunting etc

Allah knows best

wassalam

muharram23

Staff member
well now Iam a bit concerned, because I have two cats. I know the prophet Mohammed(mpbuh) liked cats, but is it alloud to have them as pets.Or is it forbidden just like dogs?

Elyse:hearts:

Salamu alaykum

cats are allowed. There is a companion of the prohet :saw: named abu khurayrah (father of kitten) who narrated the most hadith from the prophet. He was named because he loved cats alot.

Cat is clean to the extent that if it drinks from a vessel that u would use for ablution u can use the same water and u don't need tovwash it 7 times as in case of dog.

I want cat so bad just don't want to pay deposit and monthly fees ):

Allah knows best

wassalam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Narrated Abu Qatada: Allah’s Messenger said about the cat: “It is not
unclean, but is one of those who intermingle (Tawafeena) with you.”
Reported by the Four (Abu Dawud, Nasaa’i, Tirmidhi, and Ibn Majah)

The below is taken from lecture notes of 'Fiqh of taharah' class that takes place at my local masjid.

Abu Qatada stated that the Prophet said, regarding the cat…

The story behind this hadith is that Abu Qatada went to his daughter in law’s
house, and she prepared a vessel of water for him to perform wudu in. When she had done this, a kitten came and wanted to drink from the water in the container that had been prepared for wudu. So Abu Qatada tipped the container in order for the kitten to drink.

When his daughter-in-law saw Abu Qatadah’s actions, she was surprised. As if she thought that a person was not allowed to make wudu from water that a kitten had drank from. When Abu Qatada saw the look of surprise on her face, he said, are you surprised by my action? He then said to her, “I heard the Messenger of Allah saying, regarding the kitten, “It is not Najass.” As long is it is not najass, then why not let it drink?

And the Prophet said, “but it is one of those who intermingle with you.”

Here, the scholars state regarding the Fiqh of the hadith:The water licked by a cat is not impure. But the scholars differed in their analysis of the hadith: Does this mean that the cat is inherently pure, or is it because the cat intermingles with us so much, that as a dispensation and easing of burden its impurity is forgiven, since it is amongst us.

Intermingling (Tawafeena) here means those living in the house or serving the people of the house, and this is a type of simile, since it is not possible to avoid intermingling with the servants of the house, just as it is not possible to avoid intermingling with the house cats.

Here, some of the scholars stated: a cat is inherently pure, and the description about it intermingling with people is an additional quality.
Other scholars said no, the saliva of the cat is impure, but the ruling has been lighted for us since it is too difficult to avoid it since cats intermingle with people.

Some other scholars said: If you saw a cat eating a mouse, and some of the
blood remained on the cat’s mouth and it then drank from a vessel, do we say it is still impure? Or do we say, no we saw impurity on its mouth but the impurity passed from its mouth to the water. No, the importance here is regarding the impurity in its mouth, and not the cat itself.

Now, to return to the hadith and how Abu Qatada gave water to this kitten, this hadith also teaches kindness to animals, and that all the world should be told that Islam preceded Europe and the materially developed world in matters of humanism, human rights, and kindness to animals.

I hope this is of benefit Insha'Allah ta'ala.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

capetonian

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to keep a dog, unless he needs this dog for hunting, guarding livestock or guarding crops.

Al-Bukhaari (2145) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, a qiraat from his good deeds will be deducted every day, except a dog for farming or herding livestock.”

Muslim (2978) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog that is not a dog for hunting, herding livestock or farming, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.”

Muslim (2943) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding livestock or a dog for hunting, a qiraat will be deducted from his good deeds each day.” ‘Abd-Allaah said: Abu Hurayrah said: Or a dog for farming.

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said: This hadeeth shows that it is permissible to keep a dog for hunting and herding livestock, and also for farming.

Ibn Maajah (3640) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

These ahaadeeth indicate that it is haraam to keep a dog, except for those which were exempted by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The scholars differed as to how to reconcile between the reports which speak of one qiraat being deducted and those which speak of two qiraats being deducted.

It was said that two qiraats will be deducted if the dog is more harmful and one qiraat will be deducted if it is less so.

And it was said that that at first the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that one qiraat would be deducted, then the punishment was increased after that, so he said that two qiraats would be deducted in order to put people off from keeping dogs even more.

The qiraat is an amount that is known to Allaah, may He be exalted, and what is meant is that some of the reward for a person’s good deeds will be deducted.

See Sharh Muslim by al-Nawawi, 10/342; Fath al-Baari, 5/9

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in Sharh Riyaadh al-Saaliheen, 4/241:

With regard to keeping dogs, this is haraam and is in fact a major sin, because the one who keeps a dog, except those for which an exception has been made, will have two qiraats deducted from his reward every day.

Secondly:

Is it permissible to keep dogs to guard houses?

Answer:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made only three exceptions to the prohibition on keeping dogs: hunting, guarding livestock and guarding crops.

Some scholars are of the view that it is not permissible to keep a dog for any reason other than these three. Others are of the view that it is permissible to draw analogies between these three and similar or more likely cases, such as guarding houses, because if it is permissible to keep dogs to guard livestock and crops, it is more appropriate that it should be permissible to keep dogs to guard houses.

Al-Nawawi said in Sharh Muslim (10/340):

Is it permissible to keep a dog to guard houses, alleys and the like? There are two points of view. The first is that it is not permissible, because of the apparent meaning of the ahaadeeth, which clearly state that keeping dogs is forbidden except for farming, hunting and herding. The more correct view is that it is permissible, by analogy with those three cases, knowing that the reason that is understood from the ahaadeeth is necessity. End quote.

The view that was classed as saheeh by al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him), that keeping a dog to guard the house is permissible, was also classed as saheeh by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Sharh Saheeh Muslim. He said:

The correct view is that it is permissible to keep a dog to guard the house, because if it is permissible to keep a dog in order to benefit from it, as in the case of hunting, it is more appropriate that one be allowed to keep a dog in order to ward off harm and protect oneself.

End quote.

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/69777

arzafar

Thank you Right Path_357, :)

Asalam Alaykum, :)

I am pretty new to this site. This is probably my 6th or 7th post. Anyhow I have a rather complicated question. Complicated on my part though. I have read from various sources that keeping a dog is haram unless for hunting or protection but not as a pet and never in the home. It is said Angels will not come into a home with dogs. Ok here is my question.

1. Why will Angels not be in the same home as a dog?

My situation is I am considering reversion and have been for some time. My wife is not a muslim and knows about my thougts. She if fine with it all. :) We had a dog prior to me becoming Muslim. Well, basically it's her dog. I mean I help out in feeding the dog etc but it is her dog. Does this mean I have to ask her to get rid of her dog if I become a Muslim??

2. I understand they are haram probably because they are not clean animals. Why haram though. I can undestand say Alcohol or adultry but why dogs??

Thanks, this has bothered me quite a bit. Does this mean all my prayers are not heard because there is a dog in the house? Thanks for the advice brothers and sisters.

The cat question was pretty good to. We have a couple of cats as well.

Tony

that is a tough situation.
maybe you should start working on her too. :SMILY346: :SMILY149:

but in all honesty you should worry about becoming a muslim first. If you believe in Allah as the only deity worthy of worship and Muhammad as the last and final messenger and the 6 articles of faith and the 5 pillars then please do not wait.
faith = belief in heart + words on mouth + actions of the body.
i think you have the belief in heart, it's about time you translate that into words on mouth, then do the five pillars and then we can talk about the dog. meanwhile you can make a separate 'prayer room' for yourself which is a no-go area for the dog and minimize your interaction with it. Do not over-burden yourself aiming for perfection in your actions at this stage just be sincere to Allah and His commands and steadily move towards improving your deen.
may Allah guide you and help you with your deen. Aameen !

jabcrosshook

Asalam Alaykum

Asalam Alaykum wa ramatuallh brother Arzafar, :)

Thanks for the reply. :) I will work on her as well. :) Thank you all for your helpful posts.

Tony