Part 5: LI- The Jinn Race

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Feel free to print and share the "Learning Islam" threads with others from your family, local masjid (mosque), and with friends, etc.

The existence of the Jinn race is based on the Qur’an and authentic hadith. Similar to angels, jinns are part of the unseen world. The word “jinn” comes from an Arabic root meaning “hidden from sight.” Jinn are commonly referred to as spirits. The world of the jinn is separate from the world of man, with its own distinct nature.

Their Creation:

The jinn race was created before mankind, but after the creation of the angels. Iblis is the first jinn and is believed to be the father of the jinn race, just as Adam (peace be upon him) is the father of mankind. This is mentioned in the following verse of the Qur’an and hadith:

“And the jinn, We created aforetime from the smokeless flame of fire.” [15:27]​

Their Purpose:

The jinn have the same destiny and fate as man. The jinn race has been given the freewill to decide to submit to Allah or choose to be ungrateful. They have also been sent Messengers from among their own, but the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) was the last prophet and messenger, sent to both mankind and the jinn race.

“And I (Allah) created not the jinns and men, except that they should worship Me (Alone).” [51:56]​

Similar to man, the jinns will be reckoned on the Day of Judgment:

“‘O ye assembly of jinns and men! Came there not unto you Messengers from amongst you, setting forth unto you My signs, and warning you of the meeting of this Day of yours?’ They will say: ‘We bear witness against ourselves.’ It was the life of this world that deceived them. So against themselves will they bear witness that they rejected Faith.” [6:130]
They are Part of The Unseen:

Allah (The Exalted and Glorified) through His Mercy for man, has placed a veil over the eyes of mankind, so they cannot see the jinn. However, animals may see the jinn. For example, horses and dogs can see the jinn. It is also the case that the jinn can see man. The jinn reside in their own realm on Earth, existing parallel to the world of man. This is mentioned in the following verses of the Qur’an:

“Soon shall We settle your affairs, O both ye worlds!” [55:31]

“O ye Children of Adam! Let not Iblis (Satan) seduce you, in the same manner as he got your parents out of the Garden, stripping them of their raiment, to expose their shame: for he and his tribe watch you from a position where ye cannot see them: We made the devils [i.e. evil jinn] friends (only) to those without faith.” [7:27]​

Types of Jinn:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) mentioned that there were three different types of jinn:

Abu Tha’labah al-Khushani said:
The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “The jinn are of three types: a type that has wings, and they fly through the air; a type that looks like snakes and dogs; and a type that stops for a rest then resumes its journey [i.e. they appear to be nomadic].” [Reported by al-Tahhaawi in Mushkil al-Athaar, 4/95, and by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer, 22/214. Shaykh al-Albaani said in al-Mishkaat (2/1206, no. 4148): al-Tahhaawi and Abu’l-Shaykh reported it with a saheeh isnaad]

Their Abilities:

The jinns have abilities beyond that of human beings. Some jinn can fly, they can appear in different forms, travel quickly, and have an extraordinary level of strength. Their bodies can also be sustained underneath the ground, underwater, or in outer space (i.e. flying near the Earth in the lowest heaven). The jinn have a much longer lifespan than humans, but they eventually die. Due to the fact that the bodies of the jinn were created from fire, when they die, their bodies evaporate into the air. Unlike man, whose body was created from the Earth, this is why humans decay and become one with the Earth when they die.

The jinn may also appear in the guise of other creatures. For example, jinns can take the form of humans. This is mentioned in the following hadith:

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said:
The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) put me in charge of guarding the zakah of Ramadan. Someone came to me and started scooping up some of the food, and I said, “By Allah, I will take you to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).”-He [the thief] complained of being in need and having dependents, so Abu Hurayrah took pity on him and let him go. This happened three times, and on the third occasion, -Abu Hurayrah said: “I will take you to the Messenger of Allah. This is the third time and each time you say that you will not come back, then you come back.” He [the thief] said, “Let me go and I will teach you something by means of which Allah will benefit you.” I said: “What is it?” he said: “When you go to bed, recite Ayat al-Kursi, “Allah. There is no god but He, the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal…” [2:255], until you complete the verse. Then you will always have a protector [angel] from Allah, and no devil will come near you until morning comes.” So I let him go, and the next morning I told the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) what had happened. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “He told you the truth, although he is a liar. Do you know who you have been speaking to for three nights, O Abu Hurayrah?” He said: “No.” He said: “That was a devil [a shaytaan or evil jinn].” [al-Bukhari no. 3275]

From the above hadith, various points are evident. Firstly, the conduct of the shaytaan, an Arabic word which refers to the evil jinn, is that they frequently lie and speak untruthfully in order to mislead people. Secondly, the jinn are only unseen to humans when they are in the form in which they were created. When the jinns appear in other forms in the world of man, then they can be seen. Lastly, Ayat al-Kursi can be recited in order to protect an individual from the harm of the shaytaan.

Their Dwellings:

The jinns usually live in unclean places, such as: garbage dumps, toilets, ruins of buildings, etc. They also gather in the cemeteries during the night, reside in buildings or homes that have been abandoned for over forty days, and they congregate at construction sites. Besides these dwellings, the jinns are also known to live underground and within water. Because of their dwellings most jinn carry a foul stench. Many of them avoid the daylight and usually come out during the night.

Zayd ibn Arqam reported:
The Apostle of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “These privies [public bathrooms] are frequented by the jinns and devils [i.e. any jinn in general]. So when anyone amongst you goes there, he should say: ‘I seek refuge in Allah from male and female shaytaan.’” [Dawud: Book 1: Hadith 6]

Narrated Jabir:
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “When night falls, then keep your children close to you, for the devils spread out then. An hour later you can let them free; and close the gates (i.e. doors) of your house (at night), and mention Allah’s Name thereupon (i.e. Bismillah), and cover your utensils (i.e. foods), and mention Allah’s Name thereupon, (and if you don’t have something to cover your utensil) you may put across it something (e.g. a piece of wood, etc.).” [Bukhari: Book 4: Volume 54: Hadith 500]

Their Needs:

Similar to humans, the jinns require food, water, and rest in order to survive. In the following hadith, it is mentioned that some jinn eat bones:

Ibn Mas’ood reported:
The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Someone from among the jinn called me, and I went with him and recited Qur’an for them.” He [the Prophet] took us and showed us the traces of where they had been and the traces of their fires. They [the jinn] asked him [the Prophet] for food and he said, “You can have every bone on which the name of Allah has been mentioned that comes into your possession, as meat, and all the droppings as food for your animals.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “So do not use [these things] for cleaning yourselves [after relieving oneself], for they are the food and provision of your brothers.’” [Muslim no. 450]

Their Animals:

Similar to humans, the jinn have their own animals as part of their world. This is alluded to in the following hadith, in which their animals eat droppings in order to sustain themselves.

Ibn Mas’ood reported:
The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “…all the droppings as food for your animals.’” [Muslim no. 450]

Their Civilization:

Similar to mankind, the jinn race has its own languages, nations, leaders, cultures, customs, religions, and so forth.

Their Religions:

Some of the jinns are Muslims and others the contrary. In the following verses of the Qur’an, Allah mentions a group of jinn who had become Muslims after hearing the recitation of the Qur’an.

“Say: It has been revealed to me that a company of Jinns listened (to the Qur’an). They said, ‘We have really heard a wonderful Recital! It gives guidance to the Right, and we have believed therein: we shall not join (in worship) any (gods) with our Lord. And Exalted is the Majesty of our Lord: He has taken neither a wife nor a son.’” [72:1-3]

The Qareen:

Every human has a jinn companion throughout his or her life, which is called the qareen. The qareen is different from other jinn, because it specifically stays with its human host throughout the life of the human, by shadowing the person. The man has a male qareen and the woman has a female companion. It is sometimes the case that an individual will die and other will say, "I have seen the spirit (or ghost) of so-and-so." What they have seen is either the qareen of the dead or another jinn in the guise of the deceased. This life involves man being tested by Allah (The Exalted). The qareen is evil (a shaytaan) and whispers for man to commit sins and disobey Allah. Therefore, it is part of the trial in this life that every individual must overcome and not engage in the evil temptations of his constant companion. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) also had a qareen, but Allah made him become a Muslim:

Ibn Mas’ood said:
The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “There is not one of you who does not have a jinn appointed to be his constant companion.” They said, ‘And you too, O Messenger of Allah?’ He said, “Me too, but Allah has helped me and he has submitted, so that he only helps me to do good.” [Muslim no. 2814]

The Believer suppresses his qareen by obeying Allah and adhering to His religion, until the qareen becomes weak and unable to stop the Believer from doing good, except what Allah Wills. The sinner, by his disobedience and evil actions, gives his shaytaan the strength to encourage him to do evil and discourage him from doing good. The Believer has to fear Allah and strive against his qareen, by obeying Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him). It is wisdom and insight in a Believer to realize that the qareen of other individuals may succeed in causing that person to falter at any moment. Therefore, the Muslim should not place himself or his children in a vulnerable position, alone with other individuals, which may lead to being harmed. After the human counterpart dies, it is possible for the qareen to still live on, considering that jinns naturally live longer than humans. The Muslim should be aware of his constant companion as much as possible and resist his sinful temptations.

Jinns in America:

Bigfoot:

The notorious American Bigfoot is considered to be a large hairy hominoid that lives in the forest. This creature is known by numerous other names from around the world: Yeti, Sasquatch, Yowie, Abominable Snowman, Skunk Ape, Barmanou, etc. Long before modern Americans gave eyewitness accounts of Bigfoot, many of the Native American tribes that had lived in North America were well acquainted with the creature. Some tribes considered Bigfoot as their “brother” from the forest, which was a spirit that lived underground and surfaced during the night, in order to feed. Some Native Americans also mention in their legends that Bigfoot was capable of making himself appear visible and invisible. Another tribe, the Dakota Indians, considered Bigfoot to exist in another dimension and to appear in the world of man when they had reason. This jinn is perhaps the third type mentioned in the section “Types of Jinn,” the one that stops for a rest then resumes its journey, living a nomadic existence.

Mothman:

Mothman was the name given to a creature that appeared in Point Pleasant, West Virginia in the 1960s. The creature was man-like in appearance, possessed two large wings on its back, and was excessively hairy. The persons who came into contact with the Mothman, mentioned that it could travel quickly and fly. This creature has been seen around the world. For example, in Zanzibar, there is a creature known as “Bat Wings,” which is described as being similar in appearance to the Mothman. This is the jinn that has wings and flies. This was mentioned in the section “Types of Jinn.”

Werewolf of Wisconsin:

In the state of Wisconsin, there have been numerous sightings of a large creature that walks erect and has the features of a dog, which include: claws, a snout, and excessive hair. Among the first sightings was by a man who spotted the “werewolf” east of Jefferson, Wisconsin. While driving during the night, the man spotted the beast digging in an old Indian mound. He described it as standing erect over six feet, having a muzzle, and claws with three fingers and a twisted thumb. The man came back to the spot the next night and found the same beast. In the second encounter, the man said he heard the creature utter something that was not tangible. The beast went away from the man and eventually vanished from sight.

The so-called “werewolf” or dog form of the jinn is well known around the world. In fact, in Arabia, this was the manner in which the jinn were commonly seen when they encountered Arabs in the world of man. This is the type of jinn that looks like a dog and is mentioned in the section “Types of Jinn.” The jinn from Wisonsin, is mentioned to have been seen digging in an Indian mound, which is a graveyard, this is probably because he was searching for bones to eat. The following account mentions the encounter of a Muslim with a jinn that appeared in this form:

Strength of faith and religiosity in general will also prevent the jinn from harming a person, so much so that if a Muslim were to fight with a jinn, the one who has faith in Allah would win.

‘Abd-Allah ibn Mas’ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said:
A man from among the Companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) met a man [i.e. male] from among the jinn. They wrestled, and the human knocked down the jinn. The human said to him, ‘You look small and skinny to me, and your forearms look like the front paws of a dog. Do all the jinn look like this, or only you?’ He said, ‘No, by Allah, among them I am strong, but let us wrestle again, and if you defeat me I will teach you something that will do you good.’ The human said, ‘Fine.’ He [the jinn] said, ‘Recite, “Allah! None has the right to be worshipped but He, the Ever-Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists…”’ [2:255]. The human said, ‘Fine.’ He [the jinn] said, ‘You will never recite this in your house but the Shaytaan will come out of it like a donkey breaking wind, and he will never come back in until the next morning.’” [al-Darimi no. 3247]

Narrated ‘Abd-Allah ibn Ubayy ibn Ka’b that his father told him that he had a vessel in which he kept dates. He used to check on it and found that the number was decreasing. So he kept guard on it one night and saw a beast that looked like an adolescent boy. He said: “I greeted him with salaams [peace] and he returned my greeting, then I asked him, ‘What are you, a jinn or a human?’ He said, ‘A jinn.’ I said to him, ‘Show me your hand.’ So he showed me his hand, and it looked like a dog’s paw with dog’s fur. I said, ‘Do all the jinn look like this?’ He said, ‘I know no one among the jinn who is stronger than I.’ I said, ‘What made you do what you did [i.e., taking the dates]?’ He said, ‘We heard that you are a man who loves charity, and we wanted to have some of your food.’” Ubayy asked him, “What will protect us from you?” He said, “This ayah, Ayat al-Kursi.” Then the next day he [Ubayy] went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and told him (about what had happened) and he [the Prophet] said, “The evil one spoke the truth.”

Unidentified Flying Objects:

UFO sightings have always been plentiful. Although many of them may be aircrafts or lights, some of them are jinn. For example, during World War II, many war pilots spotted circular balls of light flying and encircling their planes. These lights appeared interested in the aircrafts and would also engage in a game of “cat and mouse” with the pilots. This type of activity continues to happen to pilots in modern times. Since jinns can change their form into various appearances, including the circular light appearance, these were jinn. The Kung! tribe (Bush Men) living in the southern part of Africa have also complained that evil spirits appear to them in this form during the night. It is also the case that some video footage has showed these spherical lights creating crop circles. There have also been accounts by individuals who have had jinns living within their homes, mentioning the fact that the jinn appear as circular spheres of light.

*Also see the thread: "Proving ISLAM"- http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40837

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
miq1 said:
Narrated ‘Abd-Allah ibn Ubayy

That's weird.......

Isn't Abdullah ibn Ubbay one of the Munafiqeen? As a matter of fact, yeah, he was one.

But that's weird that that situation happened with him.

But Allah Ta Alla knows best.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
^Brother stop being scared. The Jinn can't harm you. NONE OF THEM CAN. NOT EVEN THE STRONGEST SHAYATEEN. NOT IF IBLESS SENDS HIS ARMY FROM THE SEA OUT TO KILL YOU.

I remember it was like hmmm...... roughly one month ago? When I was doing Namaaz (sorry brother, speak too much Urdu/Bangla that I always say that, :D I mean Salat :wink:) at home in this dark room, and I was feeling kinda scared about something, and then I went to do Sajdah, and then the door of the closet infront of me shook a bit and there was the sound as if something lightly hit it, and then I, like a weak person, broke my Salat and ran away to the living room with sunlight coming out (and by the way, my house isn't too small or too big, right enough space), and then I sat on the couch and was feeling scared and making dua to Allah Ta Alla to rid the closet of what could be inside there, and then I did Salat in the living room behind the curtain.
But anyway, that might not really have happened, it was probably from my Imagination or Waswasa.

But really brother, the only one who you should fear is Allah Ta Alla brother. I use to feel the same way too sometimes, but then I kept on saying to myself, "I fear no one but Allah Ta Alla," and "Verliy Allah Ta Alla is my protector, and I am happier with his protection than anyone else's," and that makes you start to feel better if you have strong Eman brother Waseem.

I understand fear, it's usual, and it's common. But there are different reactions to it. Like in Gazawaath Al Ahzaab (oh thank Allah your Arab brother, now you might understand me :D), the Muslims were tired, hungry, and they were pushing themselves to the limits to work digging the trench, and to prepare to fight the Armies of the Jews (Banu Qurayda was one), Quraysh, and Gathafaan, and they saw what was infront of them, and the Munafiqs assumed various things about Allah (like maybe things like, Allah lied when he said he will protect us or things like regret that they came to Islam, or that they didn't flee Medinah before), and it's in a Quran Ayat too that they said, "Our homes are left bare, so we need to go back and defend them, when they didn't go back to defend their homes, but to flee from battle."

And so that was the situation with the Munaafiqs, but those with Eman said, "That Allah Ta Alla has given us what we were promised" and what was that promise? Remember in the second Ayat of Surah Al Ankabut, when Allah Ta Alla said: "And certainly We tried those before them (the nations of the Anbiyya before them), so Allah will certainly know those who are true and He will certainly know the liars!"

And even the Anbiyya (May Allah Ta Alla have mercy on them, may he multiply their Ajr and status in Jannah by the millions, Ameen!) had fear in their hearts and were tested (all except Rasulallah (SAW), who's heart stayed strong even during the battle of Uhud).

One such occasion was with Musa (Alyhis Salam, may Allah Ta Alla multiply his and his brother's Ajr and status in Jannah by the millions, Ameen), when he was fleeing from the Pharoah Fir'aun, and with his Ummah of 40,000 (there were many who had weak Eman) Jews from Bani Isra'el.

And when they came to the end of the land, with the sea infront of them, and with the army of Fir'aun behind them, the Jews said to Musa (AS), "Your Lord has lied, he said that he would protect us, and look at our situation now!" And Musa (AS) felt fear in his heart, but his action was that of Eman, and he said to them, "Verily my Lord has not lied to me and I beleive in him (and what he promised)," thus, he completed his test of Eman that Allah Ta Alla put upon him, and since he passed the test, Allah Ta Alla told him: "Oh Musa! Strike the water with your staff!" and Musa (AS) did as he was told, and the sea split up in-half, and he walked through with his Ummah, and the rift in the sea closed behind them, and then Fir'aun boasted himself with his pride, thinking to himself that he is the Lord of the Earth, thus he attempted to go through the sea, but he was caught in the tyrant waters. And before he drowned, he said: "Verily I beleive in the Lord of Musa and his people," and Jibreel (May Allah be pleased with him) was going to fling mud in Fir'aun's mouth so that he wouldn't be able to complete his Shahadah, but Allah Ta Alla flung his Repentance away and did not accept it, because Fir'aun only beleived finally when he was afflicted with the torment of Allah Ta Alla like A'd, Rass, and Thamud, who couldn't do anything about their torment, as they stared off until they were killed.

And another reason could be that he only said that because he wanted to not die from the sea, but Allah Ta Alla Azza Wajjal knows best.

So you see brother? And besides, things like that happen to me when I think that there might be a Jinn around me. Like it was this morning (my house is on one floor) when my parents and my sister went outside, and my oldest sister (who was sleeping) and I were the only ones who were at home, and so I was on the computer, and I heard this weird sound, but Mashallah rather than scaring me and shattering my Eman, I felt a bit scared, but my Eman rose, and I said, "Verily, Allah Ta Alla is my protector!"

And when I was at the masjid last weekend, the same situation happened when I was alone, I was doing Ihtiqaaf at night and there were 20-30 brothers in two rooms in the masjid, and so I went to the smaller masjid were there were abount ten brothers and elders sleeping, and went downstairs to use the bathroom (by the way, the masjid is on flat ground), and I felt like something could be with me, but I said to myself, "I have the protection of Allah Ta Alla with me, and his protection is the best," and saying that strengthens my Eman.

I could see things like Mothman (I saw him yesterday on Youtube when I searched him up), Bigfoot, the mysterious flying creature (I posted it in the thread about Jinn encounters), people being possesed (alright, the Shayateen were doing EXTREME Waswasa to them that they saw horrible things, National Geographic, Exorcise the Demon), but I say, "I have Allah Ta Alla as my protector, and Verily I am happier with his protection, and if good happens to me my Eman is only strong because I beleive in Allah Ta Alla, and I fear none other than him, and nothing can harm me while I have his protection, and nothing can make me feel scared as long as I have my Eman and I have full beleif in Allah Ta Alla being at my side, as my Ally," and that increases my Eman and makes me feel stronger.

But you might need something else to make you feel a little better though, liker something that makes your Eman rise TREMENDOUSLY, and that is Quran, not the dumb (well maybe not dumb, but pretty worthless) nasheeds, but Quran, (and by the way Shayateen are scared of Quran) and those who truly beleive love the Quran, and it makes their Eman rise (but there are differance of opinion, there are ones that like it but they are still rebellious to what Allah Ta Alla orders them to do), and remember to say "Bismillah" upon entering your house, room, bathroom, eating, drinking, sleeping, doing Salat, working, going onto the computer, reading Quran, and many other things, because the evil and bad Jinn cannot enter or do anything with someone or something if the name of Allah Ta Alla has been recited by that person or upon that thing, that's why evil Jinn cannot eat the meat of Halal animals, only the Muslim Jinn may, and they eat the meat of dead animals or Haraam animals, and they also take apart in drugs like drinking, and Iblees drinks with them too, because of the Immorality it gives to people and how intoxicationg it is, and how Haraam it is, which is what they love the most.

But anyway brother, here check out my hot YouTube Channel, (click here), and listen to the Quran there, and for hot lectures, check out brother Sayful Hasan in my friends, but the Quran will make you feel better (Inshallah).

Oh and by the way, you should read this great story I wrote (it's real too, it's about this past Friday :)) over here:

Friday Night of Ihtiqaaf

But anyway brother, remember to never doubt the power of Allah Ta Alla Subhanahu Wa Azza Wajjal, because his protection is the BEST protection, do not forget the Sahih Al Bukari Hadith in which Rasulallah (SAW) told Ibn Abbas (RA) that "if the whole nation comes together to help you they will not be able to benefit you unless Allah Ta Alla decrees for it, and if the whole nation came together to harm you they would not be able to do it unless Allah Ta Alla decrees for it to happen. The books have been written and the papers have dried."

So anyway, take care Bhai. And I'll always try to be there to help you and any other brother and sister in Islam if I can.

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
Assalam Alaikam, Jazakallah brother thats very interesting. I did'nt know about the qareen in much detail until i read this. You say that jinn can come in the form of a snake/dog. Is this why the prophet (sws) didn't like dogs? I live at home with my parents and unfortunatly they have 2 dogs. They sleep in our utility room below my bedroom and sometimes growl late at night when im reading my Quran. Freaks me out. I like to think the angels want to come in and protect me and that this is what the dogs are growling at but who knows. :)

MutlekM

:salam2:
MashAllaah bro thanks for the article can you tell me where you get the information.
:wasalam: