Need info on combining prayers

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
salaam,

Yes, so, I'm kind of freaked out about missing even one salaat due to any reason. So I wanted to know what's the ruling on combining prayers, like combining zuhr with asr. I know we can also combine maghrib with isha.

There is a hadith number 1515 and 1516 which talks about the Prophet (SAW) combining prayers even without a specific need, so as to tell the ummah not to go to undue hardship. Like, at my workplace, I really don't want to be stared at while praying.. and there is only 1 breakroom I can use, which almost always has people in it. So can I rather combine prayers when I get home?

Though so far mostly I get done around when zuhr nearly ends, so I'm able to race home to pray. But this Saturday, I have long timings all the way through the middle of asr-time. Could I rather combine prayers?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam: respected sister,

I think the hadeeth that you are referring is combining because there is less than 4 or 5 hours between Isha and Fajr.

Can you please post the hadeeth you are referring to, sister ?

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

suumaya

Assalamu alaikum

I would like to give you advice.
first: I go to collage and I know exactly what you are talking about.
I also pray in a break room that sometimes people are present, but I tell my self that a day will come when I have to stand in front of Allah. If I miss Salah because of those people will Allah accept my excuse? the answer to that question is No. As a matter of fact if I fear people instead of Allah that is Shirk.
I am a female and sometime in the break room men are present but even if my heart is rising that should never stop me from praying Salah on it’s time.

When it comes to joining Salah as far as I know is that when you are on journey .
I hope that helps you and I hope you don’t get offended of what I said

Salaam

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I randomly found this on yahoo answers, and therefore needed some verification:

Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Book 20:
Shortening the Prayers (At-Taqseer)

Volume 2, Book 20, Number 209:
Narrated Salim's father:

The Prophet used to offer the Maghrib and Isha' prayers together whenever he was in a hurry on a journey.

Narrated Ibn Abbas: Allah's Apostle used to offer the Zuhr and 'Asr prayers together on journeys, and also used to offer the Maghrib and 'Isha' prayers together.

Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet used to offer the Maghrib and the 'Isha' prayers together on journeys.

##############################
Translation of Sahih Muslim, Book 4:
The Book of Prayers (Kitab Al-Salat)
Chapter 100: COMBINATION OF PRAYERS, WHEN ONE IS RESIDENT

--------------------------------------…
Book 004, Number 1515:
Ibn 'Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed the noon and afternoon prayers together, and the sunset and Isha' prayers together without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey.

--------------------------------------…
Book 004, Number 1516:
Ibn 'Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed the noon and afternoon prayers together in Medina without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey. (Abu Zubair said: I asked Sa'id [one of the narrators] why he did that. He said: I asked Ibn 'Abbas as you have asked me, and he replied that he [the Holy Prophet] wanted that no one among his Ummah should be put to [unnecessary] hardship.)

:salam2:You cant combine prayers. Prayers have to done at the given time. You combine zuhar and Asr or maghrib and isha only if you are travelling. You have to be atleast an hour away from your home. You have to check the distance . But if you miss a salah. Like suppose you missed maghrib. You have to pray maghrib and then isha.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2: sister Tabassum,

I have never come across this hadeeth before, so jazakAllahu Khayran for posting them here.

The next step is that we should look for a scholarly explanation of the context of the Hadeeth. Rulings can't be drawn just by looking at one hadeeth alone. They have to be viewed while taking into account other hadeeth on the matter and what is in agreement with the Holy Quran as well. This is the reason why everyone can't pass fatwas and only learned people with sound knowledge can. :)

So Insha'Allah let us exercise some patience and try to understand what we can learn from these ahadeeth.

Wasalaamalaykum

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
^ Jazakallah khayr brother, for your reply.

So the next step would be to ask a scholar. Like brother Ayman said, it would depend upon what a "reasonable excuse" is. But I don't think I qualify to determine what that excuse would be, based upon my own judgement.

Soo how does a person go about asking a scholar? I've tried emailing a few times, but I never get any response. Maybe you brothers can ask your imams in the mosques?

beautiful is islam

Assalamu alaikum

I would like to give you advice.
first: I go to collage and I know exactly what you are talking about.
I also pray in a break room that sometimes people are present, but I tell my self that a day will come when I have to stand in front of Allah. If I miss Salah because of those people will Allah accept my excuse? the answer to that question is No. As a matter of fact if I fear people instead of Allah that is Shirk.
I am a female and sometime in the break room men are present but even if my heart is rising that should never stop me from praying Salah on it’s time.

When it comes to joining Salah as far as I know is that when you are on journey .
I hope that helps you and I hope you don’t get offended of what I said

Salaam

:salam2: i agree with you sis. when i have to pray i have to pray. it don;t matter if it is brake room or behan some ugly place. you got to pray on time. lol
if you don;t you just feel bad all day. but to the person that post this good luck and ask Allah swt for help. :tti_sister:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
^ Jazakallah khayr brother, for your reply.

So the next step would be to ask a scholar. Like brother Ayman said, it would depend upon what a "reasonable excuse" is. But I don't think I qualify to determine what that excuse would be, based upon my own judgement.

Soo how does a person go about asking a scholar? I've tried emailing a few times, but I never get any response. Maybe you brothers can ask your imams in the mosques?

:salam2:

Waa jazakum..

I will try to my ask my Imam and also send it to Ask Huda.. Insha'Allah I will get back to this thread. :)

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

hovocid96

salaam,

Yes, so, I'm kind of freaked out about missing even one salaat due to any reason. So I wanted to know what's the ruling on combining prayers, like combining zuhr with asr. I know we can also combine maghrib with isha.

There is a hadith number 1515 and 1516 which talks about the Prophet (SAW) combining prayers even without a specific need, so as to tell the ummah not to go to undue hardship. Like, at my workplace, I really don't want to be stared at while praying.. and there is only 1 breakroom I can use, which almost always has people in it. So can I rather combine prayers when I get home?

Though so far mostly I get done around when zuhr nearly ends, so I'm able to race home to pray. But this Saturday, I have long timings all the way through the middle of asr-time. Could I rather combine prayers?
salaam,
I hope this will help you,

Qadha', Jamak & Qasar

1. What is the difference between jamak prayer and qasar prayer?

There are 2 types of solat for those who are travelling or in a state of musafir; Jamak and Qasar. Jamak is combining two prayers at one time period and it has 2 types; Taqdeem and Ta’khir. Jamak Taqdeem is combining Asar with Zuhur and Isya with maghrib. Jamak Ta’khir is combining Zuhur in the time of Asar and Maghrib in the time of Isya’.

Qasar is the shortening of a 4 raka’at prayer into a 2 raka’at prayer.

Both these prayers are a gift from Allah s.w.t to give ease for those in a state of musafir.

2. What is the difference between Jamak and Qadha’?

Jamak is combining two prayers in one period of time, which is:

1) Performing Zuhur in the time of Asar or vice versa.

2) Performing Maghrib in the time of Isya’ or vice versa.

It may be performed when one is in a state of dharurah or musafir.

Qadha’ is repaying a missed solat in another time period. It may be performed at any time.

When combining prayers, for example zuhur in the time of asar, which one should be performed first?

The prayer you mentioned is called jamak ta'khir. For jamak ta'khir of Zuhur to Asar, you can perform either one first. Although it is recommended according to some ulama, to perform the Asar prayer first since that is the time of Asar. The same goes when Maghrib is performed in the time of Isya', either one can be performed first though it is recommended to perform Isya' first.

The same goes for jamak taqdeem, when performing Asar in the time of Zuhur or Isya' in the time of Maghrib, it is preferable to perform Zuhur/ Isya' first.

Subuh prayer cannot be combined.

4. Does one have to repay the prayers that one has missed?
It is necessary for a Muslim who missed his solat, to re-pay that solat at other times, as soon as possible, with the niat of qadha' when re-paying that solat

5. How does one pay off missed solat (prayer) when one has not performed it for a very long period of time (months/ years)?

We must perform our missed solat (prayers) regardless whether we miss them intentionally or not. This is the position of the vast majority of Muslim scholars (ulama). It is good that you have the realisation to repay your missed solat. And it is good also that you have estimated the number of missed solat. If there are other ways to make your estimation better, than you should do it. If not, your best estimation on the number of missed solat will do.

What you can do now is to perform them. You can do it gradually. For example, after every solat, you perform the qadak solat (the missed solat). For example, after solat zuhur, you perform qadak solat Zuhur. Do this for the period that you have mentioned, and a little bit more, just in case you underestimate. Insya Allah, Allah will assist you in this regard.

6. When is the best time to qadha' the Fajr prayer? Is it as soon as one wakes up or must one wait until Zohor?
If anyone had missed their Fajr prayer, the correct time for him to perform the qadha' is as soon as he wakes up.

7. What are the suitable times to qadha’ a prayer?
There are several disagreements among the scholars pertaining to the qadha’ prayer. However, according to the Syafi’i school of thought, it is compulsory (wajib). The scholars also disagreed as to whether it can be performed during the forbidden times of solat or not; which are after Subuh until approximately 30 minutes after Syuruk, approximately 10 minutes after Zuhur and after Asar until Maghrib. Hence, it is best that one try to avoid these times when performing the qadha’.

Can someone perform jamak prayer when he/ she is overseas for a long period of time?
Solat Jamak, that is combining Zuhur to Asar or vice versa; and combining Maghrib to Isyak or vice versa, can only be performed by travellers. The maximum number of days one can perform solat jamak when one has reached the destination is 3 days, provided that he leaves that country on the fourth day. But if he knows before hand that he will stay in that country for more than 3 days, he cannot perform solat jamak from the day he arrives. This is because he is no longer considered a traveller.

9. Can solat jamak be performed when one is in a state of dharurah?

Solat jamak is actually meant for those who are travelling (musafir). However, it has been narrated that Rasulullah s.a.w performed solat jamak when he was not in a state of musafir but ot was only once. Hence the scholars have deduced that solat jamak can be performed in one’s own country without being in a state of musafir if these conditions are observed:

1) It is not performed too frequently, such as once or twice in a year only.

2) It is performed only where there are no other options to perform solat during its time period.

10. What is the minimum distance of travel for one to be eligible to perform jamak prayer?
The minimum distance for performing jamak is more than 80km.

11. Is it permisible for one to perform jamak if one’s working hours do not permit one to perform solat on time?

Allah has bestowed solat jamak on those who are travelling (musafir). For those who are in their own country, they are forbidden to do so with the exception of dharurah cases. Dharurah means a situation that very rarely happens, for example once or twice a year.

In the case of working hours that do not permit one to perform solat on time, effort must be made to perform it on time as much as possible. If all efforts has been made but to no avail, and the work one does is extremely vital and must be given full attention and the working hours very rarely clash with prayer times, it is therefore permissible for one to perform jamak, as no other way out has been found and as it is better than qadha’.

12. Must one raise one’s voice in jamak or qasar Maghrib or Isya prayer?
Jamak and qasar prayer, if performed during the day for Zuhur and Asar, its recitations must be recited softly. However, if it is performed at night for Maghrib and Isya’, it can be read in jahar, which is raising one’s voice.