Really??? 5 times a day??????

XSãoXLuisX

So I've been wondering...

What are the punishments/repercussions of someone not doing salah all 5 times a day, not doing salah the exact way that is understood, not saying the exact words that are always spoken, and/or not doing salah at the exact times??

I've heard, from my own research, that some Imams(someone has to explain to me what an “Imam” is exactly) say that someone who does not pray is not a Muslim!!! Is that true?? Or is it a widely held belief?

After all the videos I've seen of the 5 daily prayers and all the videos of demonstrations, I can honestly say that, from my perspective, it does not look enjoyable. In fact, to me, it looks like punishment. No offense to anybody, I meant no disrespect. But that's honestly how it seems to me, if I had to do these prayers.

Now since I've never done these daily prayers, I don't exactly know how it would feel for me, but when I called myself a Christian, I did a simplified prayer everyday, and I never looked forward to that. With that said, I can't imagine having to memorize all kinds of prayers in another language, being on a time table, and doing it 5 TIMES A DAY!!!!!

I've no problem with praying everyday, but this seems excessive.

I've also heard from research, that how to pray, is not in the Koran, but merely an Islamic tradition passed down generation to generation. Is this true???

I'm really liking Islam so far, but this has been one of the major road blocks for me. I assume that since the 5 daily prayers are a pillar of Islam, that this is a major thing. But is praying in the exact way that is understood, the most important??? Is it the one thing that makes you a Muslim??? Does it even override the belief in God?? Must you first pray and then work on the “believing in God” part later???

If I were to ever convert to Islam, I would gladly accept any punishment from God for not doing salah in the exact way as is understood, if I didn't have to do salah in the exact way that is understood. I know that that mentality is not one to have, but Gah!!!! that's how I feel when I think about doing salah.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
peace,

first thing is belief in One God and His final prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him). then after that is salaah/prayer.

prayer is mentioned is Quran and prophet's words and actions. its not just a made-up thing passed on.

its easy to say that i am ready to face God's punishment but reality is that not even a single of us can bear it. if we cant bear a little burn i nthis world, how can we bear a long long time in Hell (full of fire).

salah 5 times a day is difficult if this world is our first goal. those who keep Allah's remembrance in their heart, pleasures of paradise and pain of fire in their mind, find it much easier. after all, this world is prison for God's beleivers. He has kept unlimited enjoyment for them in Paradise for their sacrifices and patience.

also prayer keeps one away frm crimes and sins. you'll hardly find a thief/rapist/murderer who pray 5 times a day!!

everything is difficult except wht God made easy. pray to God for easiness towards accepting Islamic rulings....u'll see the difference in short period God willing.

Valerie

I'm not Muslim, so I can't speak about how things are done correctly or punishments if you don't.

What I can say is that praying 5 times a day is one of the two things that attracted me to Islam (hijab was the other). Last year, I had been learning about the religion of my husband's family (catholicism), and even though it wasn't something I could commit myself to, the prayer was the best part for me. I felt renewed after I finished. And I imagine Muslim prayer will be very much the same (hopefully better).

I feel that praying often, even for a short period of time, keeps me focused on how I am trying to live my life and God's presence. I've been looking through the resources on this site, and I honestly can't wait. I haven't said the words yet, but I have done my own silent prayer in the positions that are given. I look forward to putting all the pieces together.

As far as how it appears, I don't think it's punishment. You're showing your submission to God. No different to me than kneeling in church (or as a child beside my bed), bowing my head or any other prayer activity. There's probably some meaning behind each movement, I don't know.

Again, I don't know the details to answer the questions, just how I feel. If I answered anything wrong, I'm not representing anyone but myself :)

XSãoXLuisX

To ahmed_indian

It's not that the world is my main priority or that I find prayer 5 times a day difficult, it's that it seems boring and unfulfilling. I don't see how I can feel motivated to do something that would give me nothing but dread and resentment.

And I don't believe prayer itself keeps people from crime or sin, if anything it merely reminds them of why they shouldn't do these things. It's yourself that resist temptation or sin.

And I'm pretty sure there's a murderer or two out there that does pray 5 times a day.

Talat

salam
dear brother/sister, Allah does not need our prayer whether we praise Allah 5 times a day or not, it will not change anything about him, but praying 5 times a day is purely to remind us of our duties as muslims and it will keep our body and soul clean and away from wrong doing. And believe me by time it will become so easy and part of everyday life ( just like food )that you can’t life without it, as a matter of fact it’s our food for hereafter.

XSãoXLuisX

To Valerie

Hijab was also something that attracted me to Islam. As a man, I can honestly respect a woman who wants to cover herself in that manner and not be eye candy for strangers.

I guess where we differ on opinion is that, I've never gotten anything out of prayer. As a Christian, when I would pray by myself or with a group, I never felt anything before, during, or afterwards. Even now, when I say my short prayer each day, I still feel absolutely nothing. I feel as if I'm sitting there in a room talking to myself.

And prayer has never kept me focused on anything, but wanting to get through with it. There have been times where I've cut prayer out all together and absolutely nothing changed about me. I already know what constitutes as right and wrong under God. I, personally, feel that I don't need a reminder.

But that's just me.

arzafar

Salah is the difference between a muslim and a kaafir (non muslim). a 'muslim' who doesnt do salat is like a jew or a christian. both of the latter believe in God but dont worship Him like God wants them to worship Him. It is remarkable that you having been a catholic dont know how the prophets actually prayed.

It is from the Ahadith that Muslims derive their model for how to live, love, work, raise children, eat, give charity, greet each other, pray, etc. The point, here, is that after having received the command from God to pray, Muslims look to the example of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to learn how to pray. Were Christians and Jews to look to the examples of the prophets (peace be upon them all) given in the Torah and the Gospel, then they would find themselves praying like Muslims. Here’s proof.......

Genesis 17:1-4 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me and be thou perfect. 2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. 3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, 4 As for Me, behold, My covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Deuteronomy 5:6-9 I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 7 Thou shalt have none other gods before Me. 8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: 9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them nor serve them...

The very fact that God is instructing people not to “bow down” to idols, means that bowing is a valid form of worship.

Psalm 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.

Note that both bowing and kneeling are mentioned in Psalm 95:6, the very order in which Muslims perform them.

Deuteronomy 9:24-25 Ye have been rebellious against the Lord from the day that I knew you. 25 Thus I fell down before the Lord forty days and forty nights, as I fell down the first; because the Lord had said He would destroy you.

Revelations 7:11-12 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, 12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

Joshua 7:6-7 And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the Lord until eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads. 7 And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord God, wherefore hast Thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? Would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side of the Jordan!

Numbers 16:20-22And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, saying, 21 Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. 22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt Thou be wroth with the all of the congregation?

Numbers 20:6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the Lord appeared unto them.

Thus far, we have read that Moses, Joshua, Aaron, and Abraham (peace be upon them all) worshipped the One True God through prostration and bowing. The angels did the same. And in Matthew 26:39 Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) also puts his face to the ground in humility before God.

Matthew 26:36-39 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gesthemane, and saith unto his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. 37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be very sorrowful and heavy. 38 Then saith he unto them, my soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death; tarry ye here, and watch with me. 39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou Wilt.

We must realize that human beings chosen by God to bring God’s message are the best of human beings. To not follow their lead is illogical and arrogant. Bow down and prostrate to God and ask for guidance. It is God, alone, who can guide us.

oh and 5 times a day is nothing when you get used to it. the words of the prayer itself are not very difficult at all. millions of non arabs speak these words 5 times a day everyday without any difficulty.

a_stranger

What are the punishments/repercussions of someone not doing salah all 5 times a day, not doing salah the exact way that is understood, not saying the exact words that are always spoken, and/or not doing salah at the exact times??

I've heard, from my own research, that some Imams(someone has to explain to me what an “Imam” is exactly) say that someone who does not pray is not a Muslim!!! Is that true?? Or is it a widely held belief?

After all the videos I've seen of the 5 daily prayers and all the videos of demonstrations, I can honestly say that, from my perspective, it does not look enjoyable. In fact, to me, it looks like punishment. No offense to anybody, I meant no disrespect. But that's honestly how it seems to me, if I had to do these prayers.

Now since I've never done these daily prayers, I don't exactly know how it would feel for me, but when I called myself a Christian, I did a simplified prayer everyday, and I never looked forward to that. With that said, I can't imagine having to memorize all kinds of prayers in another language, being on a time table, and doing it 5 TIMES A DAY!!!!!

I've also heard from research, that how to pray, is not in the Koran, but merely an Islamic tradition passed down generation to generation. Is this true???

I'm really liking Islam so far, but this has been one of the major road blocks for me. I assume that since the 5 daily prayers are a pillar of Islam, that this is a major thing. But is praying in the exact way that is understood, the most important??? Is it the one thing that makes you a Muslim??? Does it even override the belief in God?? Must you first pray and then work on the “believing in God” part later???

If I were to ever convert to Islam, I would gladly accept any punishment from God for not doing salah in the exact way as is understood, if I didn't have to do salah in the exact way that is understood. I know that that mentality is not one to have, but Gah!!!! that's how I feel when I think about doing salah.

I think it is natural that you think that way , even some muslems say the same as you said but Islam has a very big hig goal for humans ...Islam presents the mean to makes man close to his creator through his life.....Praying 5 times a day (if done properly )make man very close to Allah sobhanahu wa taala ........there is a big wisdom in praying 5 times ......it can make your spirit in high state through the day ....whenever your spirit is down and life prison your soul you hear or remember the call Allahu akber ( My Lord is much bigger than all ) then a sparck within will make you move ...make wudoo and humble your soul and body facing the one who owns all. :salah: Islam not only give knoweldge but it is a practical way to purity and high spiruality something must be felt not said.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Peace be upon you.

Regarding your questions about Muslim praying 5 times a day, it is fard, obligatory for us,and Allah subahn we teala is menting many times in Quraan the importante of salah prayer.

I think the reason why you feel like that now is becuase you are not Muslim yet, but Inshallah when you become Muslim you will love prayer to Your Lord more than aynthing else. Becuase it is the same, if you love someone you are happy to meet him/ her, and it is aslo with prayer, if you are Muslim and if you Love Allah, than you are hapy to meet 5 times a day with Your Lord. Than all your wories are only between you and Allah,and it is act of worship towerd Allah.

May Allah guide you soon to Islaam sister/brotner in humanity. ameen:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

Irimiyaa

Peace,
I am a new Muslim and I too find it kind of hard to learn the salah especially the Arabic, and to perform them 5 times a day, but I keep reminding myself, I do not perform salah, simply for me, nor do I perform them because other Muslims do them. I do them because my God says to pray with those who pray(Muslims). How to is explained in aHadith as mentioned. Islam is "Submission" to the will of Allah, because we Love God and want to please him. Not because how something may or may not make us feel. We know God is there or atleast we should know that, and if we really believe He exists then we shoudlnt need some feeling or whatever during prayer or any other time to remind us of it. Well that is my opinion.
As for the language, its one of the things that unites all Muslims, similar to how it was once in the Catholic faith, when all masses were in Latin. No matter where you were or what language you spoke, you could follow along. Only difference is Muslims actually learn enough Arabic so they do not need a prayer book to go by. Another thing, I was watching this lecture by Khalid Yasin and he mentioned, that if we were to take all the bibles in the world and get rid of them, no one would be able to reproduce it, because there are so many varying versions/copies (even the ancient manuscripts dont agree), and no one memorizes the Bible, but if you took all Qurans and got rid of them, you could get together a Turkish Muslim,a German Muslim,an Indian Muslim etc that have memorized the Quran in the Original Arabic and they could have a Quran made withen a few days. :) Praise Allah!

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
hello!!
:lol:your quesions made me laugh at my own stuipidity when i was a kid.......i guess it's all about strenght of imaan(faith)isn't it??>see, mine was weak coz i was a kid,yours!!coz you are a non believer....back then i didn't knew how to nourish it.right now you don't know either......:)
when i was first taught how to pray i loved it:)
but later when it came to leaving play for pray when other kids were free to play........well it felt pretty much like what you feel right now
i told my mom about it she told me to pray for eight consective days following proper timings........simple words:control your desires......then tell me about it
once i got myself by the coller,i realized what she meant and what it means to pray.......:)

to some of your questions:p

I've heard, from my own research, that some Imams(someone has to explain to me what an “Imam” is exactly)

imam is a person who leads and guides our prayers and imaan:).imam is present in every mosque....apart from leading the prayers he helps the ppl in matters related to islam and their lives.....:)

say that someone who does not pray is not a Muslim!!! Is that true?? Or is it a widely held belief?
yes as far as i know a person who does not pray is not amongst us:)

I can honestly say that, from my perspective, it does not look enjoyable. In fact, to me, it looks like punishment. No offense to anybody, I meant no disrespect. But that's honestly how it seems to me, if I had to do these prayers.
it is very enjoyable if you look at it from a muslims perspective.......for those who believe,it's like talking to their ALLAH,getting HIS love and affection:)....and getting HIS love is compared to nothing.......so yeah it's a great pleasure to perform salah which makes HIM smile upon you:)

what is the use of simplified prayer,if you can't gain love of ALLAH and internal peace:)btw will you like to give,someone you love a gift of his choice or something that you preffer:)especially if you are doing it increas his love for you:).......:lol:you really are worried about memorsing prayers....it's easy really.....even if you are real slow i think it won't take more then a week to do it:)..half of the muslims around the world pray in arabic and they don't understand most of it:)....me incuded:redface:

:lol:are you lazy or something???
excessive,if you take it as an excersice not when you take is as a prayer:)........muslims know that it is a very small thing to do:),and sometimes ppl go for additional prayers.....ALLAH is afterall very merciful......it is a very small price to pay for all that HE gives:)

not just traditions......it's a way specified by ALLAH and explained by hadhrat muhmmad:saw:yes it's not mentioned in quran though

yes to most quesions in blue except that there is no overriding ALLAH's oness....but tell me somthing what kind of a person says he believes and means it and then turns his back on the very first thing that is asked of him frm the one in WHOM he claims to believe:)

hmmm really:)....how about you get up,and hold your finger in flame for like 3secs......then think about you whole body immered in flames,hundreds of times hotter then this and staying their for an eternity......well dunno what you'd think then:confused::astag::astag::astag:
may ALLAH protect us all from the torment of hellfire.ameen:)

I already know what constitutes as right and wrong under God. I, personally, feel that I don't need a reminder.
guess you really are in need of reminders considering you decided to take hell then to pray:confused:

you know what it's shaitan scaring you away:(.......it's the same as when a mother tells her kid to study...this gives her no benefit,but she loves to see her kid listen to her when he always have a choice of playing,forgetting about the "burden"and "torture" of home work and then naturally,getting punished for it:p..........so yeah don't listen to him.mere prayers are not something sooo hard to do:)it's very refreshing and beautiful thing to do when you do it only for ALLAH:)

peace:)
may ALLAH guide you and us all.ameen:)

:salam2:
To Muslims, prayer is the second pillar in Islam, after the Shahadah, which encompasses the foundation of Islam. It was made obligatory for all Muslims, whether they be rich or poor, strong or weak, black or white, male or female.
Prayer is the only ascension for the true believer, it distinguishes a believer from a non-believer and allows the believer to enrich their spirituality and cultivate the soul’s right to love and worship the creator ALLAH who is the only one worthy of worship.

The importance of prayer is conveyed constantly in the Quran and is stressed by the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w): “Know that among your duties, prayer is foremost”.

Prayer holds such immense importance that it is the only 3ibada Allah himself gave directly to prophet Muhammad in the miracle journey of Israa and Mi3raaj.

Prayer, the second pillar of Islam, carries great importance in a believer’s life and is vital to attain success in this life and the hereafter. Following the testimony of faith (belief in one god and his messenger) is the obligation to perform prayer, which if performed at their correct times and complete in bowings, prostrations and humility will guarantee forgiveness from Allah swt and everlasting paradise, which is what all Muslims strive to achieve. The first matter that the slave will be brought to account for on the Day of Judgment is the prayer. If it is sound, then the rest of his deeds will be sound. And if it is bad, then the rest of his deeds will be bad.

Prayer provides a constant reminder of the essence of our creation and provides a direct connection to Allah, who linked success and felicity to humility in prayer. Prayer purifies the heart and truly, through Prayer a believer attains spiritual devotion and moral elevation.

Prayer not only gives a deep connection with Allah swt, but in prayer one establishes patience, humility and sincerity. Prayer provides a means of repentance and is a restrainer from shameful and unjust deeds. This is portrayed through the following hadith:

"If a person had a stream outside his door and he bathed in it five times a day, do you think he would have any filth left on him?" The people said, "No filth would remain on him whatsoever." The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said, "That is like the five daily prayers: Allah wipes away the sins by them." (Al-Bukhari and Muslim.)

Praying five times a day engages the believer in constant remembrance in Allah swt so that the remembrance of Allah swt is in his heart and becomes the essence of his actions and keeps the believer away from any unjust deeds and leads him only to those that please Allah (swt).

It is through prayer that one really finds inner peace and fulfillment. To Muslims it is also a source of patience, courage, hope, confidence, inner peace, stability, equality, unity and an expression of thankfulness to Allah swt.

Verily, I am Allah! There is none worthy of worship but I, so worship Me and offer prayer perfectly for My remembrance."

Truly, there is none worthy of worship other than ALLAH, the creator of you, me and all things on earth. Allah: The most kind, the most merciful, to whom we all shall return to.

DanyalSAC

The term Imam means basically just a prayer leader. If there are four brothers who gather to pray, the one who knows the most Qur'an is the one who leads and thus is the Imam. It does not mean scholar. The term for scholar would be "Shaykh" (or shiek, shayk, etc - the plural is "shuyuk") which basically just means "elder".

I asked Shaykh Jamal Zarabozo this very question after his class last Wednesday night. He said that there are several different opinions and that it would be "harsh" to accuse non-belief on the one who doesn't pray. If he/she is not praying because of rebellion or because they simply don't find it necessary then yes, that could be interpreted as non-belief. However if they don't pray because they haven't been taught right or because despair (yes, this happens) then they need guidance but they are still Muslim.

This is paraphrasing... Allahu alim.

Latifabonu

Alhamdulillah
salah Is important because of three reasons:

1. Its the Muslims way for thanking God for the life that He has given, and in the way He wants us to thank Him.

2. Its an order by God, and the main form of worship, albeit among many.

3. It keeps Muslims united as a whole.

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
Brother i hope you come back and read all these answers. Listen prayer is the best way to get in contact with god. Listen brother and take this seriously, We can sit down and start talking with god in our heads and thats really nice shows you have faith in Him. God says in the Quran to pray, 5 times a day. Do you think God did it for no reason? He says in the Quran that Praying keeps you away from bad deeds and replaces your bad deeds with good ones. Out of everything islam has to say and offer besides Allah being One God and Muhammad his messenger, Prayer is the most important ESSENTIAL part of the religion. If there was no prayer this religion would be dull, not the other way around... Honestly if you want a easy religion covert to christianity, They believe you can do bad things all your life BUT IF YOU BELIEVE JESUS DIED FOR YOUR SINS YOUR heaven is AUTOMATIC NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Wow what a great religion, you believe and you Automatic pass, YOu get the best of this life and in the Hereafter you will be with jesus....
Forget that brother this life is not in our own hands, if it was I would be a sinning machine, but we have a God he said worship in this way, so regardless of what you like Just do it.
Sorry

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Brother, my advice to you would be to try it. Maybe the first time you'd dislike it, and it would be really difficult. But "verily, with difficulty comes ease." The more you do it, you'll realize salat five times a day is one of the best things in life. Allah has given us so much in this world, if we start to count all the blessings we'll never be able to stop. And we can only thank Allah by praying to him - its such a small gesture from our side.

It's been scientifically proven, that salaat helps to relax and calm the body and mind. We face Mecca, which is the center of the Earth. When we prostrate on the ground facing the very center of the Earth, all the negative energies stored in our bodies flow away from us into the ground. That's why it feels so relaxing after praying. And it makes a person feel satisfied, that they're completing yet another step to please their Lord.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Consider the fact we are created on this Earth to worship Allah and our conduct and belief will determine our spot in the hearafter.
Wudu probably takes five minutes. Salah takes 10 if you take your time with it. Let us say you make wudu before every salah (25 minutes) and take 50 minutes for salah. Thats 75 minutes a day where your probably not even doing anything better. That works out to be 5% of your day. Doesn't sound too bad now, does it?
Salah is hard, but not for the humble who stay steadfast in faith. Believe me, if you are sincere salah will become integrated with your life and without it you will feel lost.