Facebook: Use it or abandon it?

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Dear Brothers and Sister in Islam,
Assalamu Alaikum.

What do you think about using Facebook?
we should use it or not? and why?

Lets have an important discussion about this topic...
Isn't it a threatening issue?what do you think?

Jazakallahu Khairan
Hope will have a great informative and wise discussion
Barakallahu feekum

weakslave

:wasalam:

It is one of the easiest ways for people to earn sins in my opinion. Here is a common scenario: A friend joins a group, you get a notification that they did so you join. All your friends get notified that you just did this. The click on the group to check it out, they see other people's profiles that are in that group. They follow a link to a girl/guy's profile, and they see revealing photos of that individual.

By doing this we are unwittingly, potentially, causing others to commit a sin. And if that "click" lead to anything more you can imagine just how easily sins will accumulate.

In fact, just by keeping a regular friend's list anyone can stumble upon your profile and examine your friends. And then your friend's friends. I am pretty sure by then the chances of running into something unlawful are just as good as browsing a haram website.

We haven't even spoken of the advertisements yet, those that appear on our profile pages.

Will Allaah hold us accountable or forgive us for what people do/see when they click on our profile? No one can answer this but Allaah azza wa jal. My non-scholarly and insignificant opinion is that this is questionable at best, and we are falling into a great amount of sin just by doing something as innocent as keeping a muslim friend list.

Maha*

:wasalam:

It is one of the easiest ways for people to earn sins in my opinion. Here is a common scenario: A friend joins a group, you get a notification that they did so you join. All your friends get notified that you just did this. The click on the group to check it out, they see other people's profiles that are in that group. They follow a link to a girl/guy's profile, and they see revealing photos of that individual.

The same could be said about joining an Islamic group. You would only be gaining more rewards if your friend sees you joined, and they click and join too. It depends how you use it, that's all.

believer4life

soul searching...
:salam2:

i think it's ok as long as you have people the same gender as you on your friends list and if you set your account to private so only your friends can only see you profile pictures and ect.

weakslave

The same could be said about joining an Islamic group. You would only be gaining more rewards if your friend sees you joined, and they click and join too. It depends how you use it, that's all.

Every muslim group I clicked on to join had doubtful figures in their friend's lists. Not saying we shouldn't be encouraging people to do this, but for me anything that combines good with any tiny bit of sin is dangerous.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Here we limit ourselves to the limits of Islam. Thus Islamic discussion is limitless. It is with love. It is for the purpose of seeking Allah subhana talla and pleasing our Rabb.
I do not know if that is the purpose of facebook.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam

I think its a trick of jews and nasara..
how?.....let me explain:
In our Islam our we have bindings mashallah...that helps us to be in right path.
in other religion they also have the same but they dont follow. they waste their time in listening music,dancing,partying, alcoholic parties,hanging around, adulteries and many more.they observed that if they dont make muslims busy in such things, muslim may take the lead in the world.
Then they made a trick....which is not that bad as they do but slow poisoning us.they are making us busy with such so-called social networking sites!!!
No one can say or going to judge that using facebook is haram/bad. one can easily login and use and be busy.hundreds of thousands of muslims and muslimahs are wasting their time,may be one hour/two or 4/5hrs a day in Facebook.....if you add up these times....what will be the amount can you imagine?may be hundreds of thousands of hours/days.In that time we can do something innovative,we can study, research, do righteous deeds like salah,reciting the Qur'an ,make dua...etc....or inshallah we may take the leading role in science and tech,world economy,peace for humanity.

so they are successful,they know that we wont gonna do haram deeds(alcohol,disco, adulteries etc) but the r the companions of Satan,they know how to turn our path.If we hear their waswasa(whispering).....it will be likely following the way of jews and nasara......remember in every salah we recite surah Fatiha and we recite
"ghairil Maghdhbi alaihim Waladdwalleen"

remember the verses of Sura Yasin:60-61
"alam a'had ilaikum ya banee adama alla ta'budusshaytan.innahu lakum adowwummubeen,hadha siratum mustakim"

even if you have confusion let me clear it further:
do you thing standing in this era, the nasara and jews,they use facebook/other social networks?they use...adultfriendfinder/livechat etc...they have used and thrown facebook like sites many times ago.they now use these adult networking sites.

If you r using Facebook/social network.......may allah dont do to us...but one day may be u'll be going to use such adult sites.....slow poisoning which will lead ur steps to Jahannam...

Actually I mentioned jews and nasara....but it is Satan who is doing thiese via the disbelievers....jews and nasara....aslong as we r muslim Allah and his angels are with us for our guidance...inshallah

May Allah forgive our sins and guide us.....
may allah help us to analyze ....inshallah

Jazakllah for such replies and Barakallahu feekum

weakslave

Actually I mentioned jews and nasara....but it is Satan who is doing thiese via the disbelievers....jews and nasara....aslong as we r muslim Allah and his angels are with us for our guidance...inshallah

This is how it is with anything that distracts us from Allaah.

With the help of Allaah I am working on a short paper that discusses how the advances in information technology are dangerous to human race.

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
dawah tool

What about using facebook as a dawah tool. If you dont put up pictures, and use it purely to interact with people for purposes of Dawah, I feel that this can actually be a useful tool. As with the internet in general, as long as we steer away from the haram, I see no harm in trying to use it for positive purposes.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I have to agree with the majority on this. I had a social networking account a year ago. One of my sisters' or brothers' had a friend who sent me a friend request. This is embarrassing, but I have such a large family that I thought it might be one of my nieces. It wasn't. Within a day after accepting the friend's request my page was filled with filth. I told my wife that I was canceling both of my social networking accounts. She asked why since it was a great way to stay in touch with my family that lives in other states. I show her the page as I canceled it. She was in full agreement that we could use less tech for our family ties.

I guess if you use it to simply share Al Qur'an, Sunnah, and Hadith it is fine; however, a blog would be much more effective. I have a translation program from Israel. I think it is time to cancel it since it seems to be changing search engines and home page and probably monitoring my purchasing and searches as lately I could type in Parkour and I would get links somehow connected to Islam.

Valerie

I have facebook, and I've gotten in touch with a lot of people that I used to go to school with and family I haven't seen (ever). I have had some people who post distasteful things, and I've removed them as friends.

I've also done searches and found some really great groups. Like life, on social networks you have to be careful who you call a friend. It's just easier on facebook to remove them from your list of friends.

kayleigh

I think Facebook is just like the Internet and TV - none of these things are necessarily bad in and of themselves. It's how people use it that make it good or bad.

I don't use Facebook a whole lot. I don't post anything personal or inappropriate on my Facebook. But it makes it easier to contact people sometimes, or stay in touch with people, which is why I still keep my account.

I can't stand those people who invite you to play every game or add every application or who sit there on Facebook all day long. I also hate hate hate going into the library at school, in a hurry to print a paper, and every computer is taken up by people looking at their Facebook.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
What about using facebook as a dawah tool. If you dont put up pictures, and use it purely to interact with people for purposes of Dawah, I feel that this can actually be a useful tool. As with the internet in general, as long as we steer away from the haram, I see no harm in trying to use it for positive purposes.

salam
theres something those we need to avoid, the jews and christians do.
yes i know that tv-internet is a very good media to spread islam, but if we do something like following them...it will harm us....i think...
coz no one in FB is willing to learn or study islam....ok if you sent a group invitation/pages/something i couldnt remember.....like other invitations(like love/music/drink and other odd invitations...i think u know)they accept it but dont utilize it.

I know something good in facebook,people can find their schooltime/long times frnds anywhere in the world and can make a good network.but theres is also something we need to avoid for the sake of Islam...coz it will be copying the jews and nasara.dont you know our Prophet(saws) has warned us about copying them?

If you follow the shariah of Islam to use facebook,its ok,inshallah,but still one thing is striking in mind: copying them,where we can build a far better muslim networking by universal brotherhood of Islam....inshallah...one day we'll be ruling the internet inshallah.....

hope you all understand ..inshallah

jazakalllahu khairan

saifkhan

abd-Allah
I can't stand those people who invite you to play every game or add every application or who sit there on Facebook all day long. I also hate hate hate going into the library at school, in a hurry to print a paper, and every computer is taken up by people looking at their Facebook.

its not 'those people' its the Satan who is doing this via 'those people'

think u've got.....what im trying to say

Jazakallah

believers_path

assalmualikum,
its better to be away from it coz it is one of the door of satan n fitnah to enter..
as we say Prevention is better than cure.

UmmOf3

If one is mature enough and carefull enough, I dont see the different between Facebook and this forum, honestly!

I mean, this is more mixed than Facebook in some way, because first of all, its open and anyone can read everything, and second of all, it is mixed, Facebook is just as mixed as you let it be!