What to do?

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
:salam2:

Let's say there's a person who you see every week in class; week after week you notice that this person, who is Muslim, just sits there in the classroom and never prays when every one else leave to go pray. We know the significance of Salaat to the point that some scholars even say the person who does not pray is no longer considered a Muslim.

My question: Should I say something to this particular person or not? Is it right to just stay quiet and mind my own business even though I'm aware that this Muslim person is missing prayers on purpose? Is there any sin on me for not saying anything? What's the best approach? I didn't say anything because I do not want to come across as judging, or accusing the person of anything, because we're all human beings and I know we all make mistakes. But I just hate it when I see an adult Muslim person who does not pray at all, I find it just disgusting and really sad. Salaat is our main connection to Allah.

This is not the only time I've been in this kind of situation.
I just don't know what to do! Any suggestions are welcomed.

Alex87

UmmJamal
firstly, i think its wrong to assume that they dont pray. maybe he prays when he goes home for one reason or another. instead of preaching to him about the sin of not praying why not get to know him first, after your quite friendly invite him to come and pray with you. maybe he doesnt know how to pray

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alakum,

This brings up another question for me. What is the appropriate interaction between male and female teenagers. Plus, I am looking forward to the answer on this original question. This is how I learn by reading others questions and the answers. I have a bad habit of answering without knowledge; so, hopefully, in the future, Insha Allah, I can avoid doing that.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

You might want to ask a trustworthy Muslim brother (a classmate of yours or a friend of him) that you might know, so that the brother can approach him and maybe try to find out if that person really neglects his prayer. While I dont think its best if you yourself approach him, then leave it to someone of the same gender.

Once my friend told me that at her madrasa, if a brother wants to correct any mistakes that a sister made (for example there was one time, a hijabi sister didnt wear her scarf properly, so her hair kind of come out a little at the side and the brother saw it), so what he did was he passed on a note saying that maybe she can correct her scarf. Well, thats what I remembered since it was a few years ago when my friend told me.

Wallahu a'lam.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

it is necessary to promote good and prevent bad if possible. if everything will remain silent and *mind their own business*, who will keep the light of Islam burning?

maybe s/he is lazy to pray due to unawareness of reward and punishment of leaving salah. why not give a small booklet about salah and its importance?

*but as sister above told, if ur classmate is a brother, better to deal thru third person like teacher, ur bro, his sister, etc.

Um Ibrahim

Th

Salam everyone,

Actually the person I was talking about is a female, so not a brother, but a sister. I would definitly not approach a man even if it was to give him advice, i'm sure there would be other ways better than directly approaching the person of the opposite sex.

Idris16

Salam everyone,

Actually the person I was talking about is a female, so not a brother, but a sister. I would definitly not approach a man even if it was to give him advice, i'm sure there would be other ways better than directly approaching the person of the opposite sex.
Me myself don't care very much if people don't pray, I of course want them to pray and feel sad for them.. but I am busy thinking about myself when it comes to deen like salat.. It happens that I tell people who seem some what religious but not those who do haram all the time, today I told a girl in my class to pray dhuhr as 3asr was approaching, she prays alhamdulilah but not on time, I think it is because she doesn't know how important is to pray on time.. there are loads of hadith talking about praying on time
wasalam alaykum

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Salam everyone,

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullah,

Sorry to misunderstood your post. Well, if thats the case, maybe you can approach that sister, try to befriend with her. After a while getting to know her, you might know why is the reason she didnt pray. So thats when you can try to tell her the importance of praying or the best is to invite her to pray congregational prayer with you. Alhamdulillah once my rommate in college, we used to go praying at the mussala together. So whenever one's feel lazy, the other will give supports. And who knows, that it could be she will be guided through you with the Will from Allaah inshaAllaah. :)

Take care.

Wassalam.

believers_path

[/quote]My question: Should I say something to this particular person or not? Is it right to just stay quiet and mind my own business even though I'm aware that this Muslim person is missing prayers on purpose? Is there any sin on me for not saying anything? What's the best approach? I didn't say anything because I do not want to come across as judging, or accusing the person of anything, because we're all human beings and I know we all make mistakes. But I just hate it when I see an adult Muslim person who does not pray at all, I find it just disgusting and really sad. Salaat is our main connection to Allah.

This is not the only time I've been in this kind of situation.
I just don't know what to do! Any suggestions are welcomed.[/quote]

You should say my dear sister...how can you sit quite..
for example when you r seeing your sister is going in the fire or on a road while walking she is ignorant of a large pit in front of her!!!
obviously you will make her aware! dont you?

and regarding the approach sis aisya humaira has given a nice advice.

Ibn Uthaymin

I'm a bit like brother Idris16, most of the time its obvious that person knows you must pray,but they just miss it out. I really want to say something..but I don't want to be judgemental. But sometimes I do speak out if its a group, I feel more comfortable that way.

Um Ibrahim

Thank you dear brothers&sisters for all of your suggestions. InshaAllah, the best thing to do is to try to know the sister a little better and then talk to her and remind her of what she's missing out on. May Allah guide us all, Allahuma Amin. And for those people who say, let's not judge people and we should focus only on our own selfs, part of being a good Muslim is worrying about your Muslim brothers and sisters. Muslims lack unity because there a lot of people saying, I don't care about anyone else. I don't understand why some people take praying so lightly. If someone who is a Muslim drinks alcohol or eats pork openly and publicly, people would rush to tell them this is haraam and don't do this is and that...but it's not like that with someone who doesn't pray at all.

Most people including myself shy away from advising the person because we we don't want to be "judgmental" and or whatever else. Salaat is important, and to be honest, it's more dangerous when someone doesn't pray. Refusing to pray can take someone out of the fold of Islam all together. SubhanaAllah, I'm just a little upset at myself for even posting this thread. It's clear to me what I should do.

Thanks again everyone,

Idris16

And for those people who say, let's not judge people and we should focus only on our own selfs, part of being a good Muslim is worrying about your Muslim brothers and sisters. Muslims lack unity because there a lot of people saying, I don't care about anyone else. I don't understand why some people take praying so lightly.
By advicing someone it's not judging. Wallahi it's if good you are advicing her.
Me I dont' care much about myself, I advice those who are somewhat religious and understand things.. I understand why they take prayers lightly, it is because they don't know how important it is. It's true what you said, A good Muslim worry about their brethren.

If someone who is a Muslim drinks alcohol or eats pork openly and publicly, people would rush to tell them this is haraam and don't do this is and that...but it's not like that with someone who doesn't pray at all.
That's so true!

Most people including myself shy away from advising the person because we we don't want to be "judgmental" and or whatever else. Salaat is important, and to be honest, it's more dangerous when someone doesn't pray. Refusing to pray can take someone out of the fold of Islam all together. SubhanaAllah, I'm just a little upset at myself for even posting this thread. It's clear to me what I should do.
True
Lool you shouldnt be upset, it was a good thread.. Many thought you meant advicing a male instead of a female, so you could recieve other kinds of replies then..
wasalam alaykum

aisha16

I don't see any wrong in just advising them or reminding them, you should try just reminding them if you don't wanna come off as judging. Then they'll have to give you an answer, and you know why there not praying or not.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,I just can answer that you could talk to this person and ask him if he praid his Salats,maybe he was absorbed in his thoughts and he forgot his duties,so it may be your duty to help him to remember that preyer is one of the five pillars of Islam.

believer4life

soul searching...
at first i was thinking hey mind your own buisness only allah has the right to judge the person! but then i realized thanks to all of your comments if we all "mind our own buisness" how are we going to make the ummah strong and how are we going to be good muslims without advising others of something you know is wrong.

sis develope a relationtip with the sister and try to posetively influence her dont come off agressivley just drop the salah subject casualy... like hey sis i gotta go pray wanna come with... something like that good luck!