Music.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Brother, actually, when I reverted to Islam, I wasn't aware that there was different offshoots like the Christian Protestants. All I knew was
"Ashhadu Alla Ilaha Illa Allah Wa Ashhadu Anna Muhammad Rasulu Allah."

I didn't know anything about Hadith or Sunnah. I read Al Qur'an and, Subhan'Allah; Alhamdulillah! I knew it was true. In Christianity, new converts are known as "BABES". They need instruction, correction, guidance, in other words they need to be protected, nurtured, and guided.

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
1Co 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
1Co 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
1Co 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So, I wrongly assumed that if I learned AL Qur'an and Al Arabia that I would be able to know what Allah wanted.

I thought that everything that I needed to know about Aqeedah, (Creed) I could find in Al Qur'an or that there would be something like a catechism instruction class.

I knew that I was to pray five times a day.

I knew that tawheed. I knew that Allah made the Heavens and the Earth. I knew that Allah sent down the rain. I knew that Allah was The Creator, Sustainer, and Maliki Yawmid Deen. I knew that He was not begotten and did not beget. I knew that He alone was worthy of worship. Much of this I knew from The Bible.

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Deu 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
Deu 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Mat 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I also knew that it was not just enough to know God was one.

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

But, I don't have much contact with the Muslim Community because in this area it is primarily professional man such as doctors who don't have time to teach and instruct. I have had practically no instructions and what I know I have learned from TTI and other websites and Brothers and Sisters at TTI.

I didn't revert to Islam for any reward. I didn't revert to Islam for any reason other than since 1970 I have been searching for Truth. I was a preacher. I was a college student. I have read much of the texts of most religions. I have studied both Christian Theology and Philosophy. Everything from determinism, pragmatism, existentialism, and most of the other isms. I care about truth. I know that I refer more to the Bible than I do to AL QUR'AN and, Insha Allah, I will learn the Ayat well enough to have it come to mind when speaking and writing. Now things like Prophet Yeshua (PBUH) speaking to the pharisees comes to mind such as

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

more than Al Qur'an

Al-Baqara
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
Alif. Lam. Mim. (1) This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil). (2) Who believe in the Unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them; (3) And who believe in that which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter. (4) These depend on guidance from their Lord. These are the successful. (5)

What I would really like is a through understanding of what is and is not pleasing to Allah without possibility of error.

01 - The superiority and excellence of the Holy Quran.

a) Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said:
"The superiority and preference of the Holy Quran on all other books and sayings is the same as the superiority of Almighty over His creatures."

b) Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said:
"The Holy Quran is superior and excellent to everything other than Almighty Allah (SWT)."

c) Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said:
"One who reads the Holy Quran, then he imagines that somebody (else) has received better and superior than him, then most certainly he has considered it insignificant the thing that is honorable and great before the Almighty."

d) Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said:
"Whenever mischief and seditions surround you like a part of the darkness of the night then (take refuge and) go towards the Holy Quran."

e) Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said:
"The Holy Quran is a wealth that no wealth can equal (or reach) it. And there will be no poverty after it."

02 - the Comprehensiveness and value of Holy Quran.

"The Book of the Almighty comprises of the narratives and incidents of the ancients; the news of the future ones; and the rules and regulations amongst you. The Holy Quran was the measure and weight of the truth and falsehood and it is not facetious and in vain.

03 - Learning and teaching the Holy Quran.

"The best of you are those who have learned the Holy Quran and teach to the others".

"One who teaches an Ayat of the Holy Quran, the Sawab (good deed) will be earned and returned to them so long as the Ayat is being recited."

"For the teacher of the Holy Quran, all the particles of the world seek forgiveness and supplicate for him even the fishes of the ocean

"The (Holy) Quran is the (dining) table of the Almighty. Therefore, utilize it and learn as far as possible."

04 - The Recitation of The Holy Quran; Its Effect and Its Usefulness.

a) The best of the worships is the recitation of the (Holy) Quran. The traditions that have been narrated about reward and good deeds for the recitation of the Holy Quran is considered as the best of worships. It is important to mention that during the period of Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw); the learning of the word and meaning of the Holy Quran was considered jointly. Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) recommended the recitation of the Holy Quran along with understanding their meanings. The conduct of Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) shows us that he would teach ten Ayats of the Holy Quran to his companions and till the time they would not learn and understand the practical rules and science of the ten Ayats, he would not commence the next ten Ayats. Thus, the reader of the Holy Quran was aware and well conversant of their meanings.

"One who recites ten Ayats of the (Holy) Quran during the night is from amongst the negligent and the heedless. One who recites fifty Ayats is from amongst the recites and commemorators. One who recites hundred Ayats is from amongst the humble and meek ones. One who recites two hundred Ayats will be counted from amongst the one who fears the Almighty and from amongst the special ones. One who recites three hundred Ayats will be from amongst the delivered and saved ones. And one who recites five hundred Ayats, he will be from amongst the jurisprudents."

c) Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said to Salman Mohammadi:
"O Salman! Upon you be about the recitation of the (Holy) Quran. Its recitation is kaffarah (atonement) of sins."

"Surely, these hearts are rusts like rusted irons. Surely (the thing) which gives it luster and polish is the recitation of the (Holy) Quran."

05 - The ways and the Manners of The Recitation of The Holy Quran.

"Discharge (your duty towards the Holy) Quran in a good way and search for its wonders and strangeness."

"Recite the (Holy) Quran in the tone of the Arabs and with their dialects and accents."

"Learn the (Holy) Quran in Arabic. Refrain from adding an extra word or alphabet in it."

06 - The Recitation Of The Holy Quran in a beautiful and Melodious Tone.

"For everything there is an adornment and a decoration. The adornment of the (Holy) Quran is a beautiful voice and tone."

"Adorn and decorate the (Holy) Quran with your (good) voice."

c) It was asked from Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) that which of the peoples voice in the recitation of the (Holy) Quran is better. He said; "The voice of that person is better who while reciting the Holy Quran and his recitation reaches you, you feel that he is feaful of Allah."

07 - Memorizing The Holy Quran and Its Effects.

"The most honorable and noble from amongst my Ummat are the memorizers of the (Holy) Quran and those who (stay) awake (for worshipping)."

"The carriers of the (Holy) Quran are those who are included and covered by the Mercy of Allah."

08 - The Recitation of The Holy Quran While Looking At The Moshaf.

"Looking at the Moshaf (Holy Quran) is (considered as) worship."

As per some traditions, Moshaf is a name, which has been ascribed to the Holy Quran. This word has not come in the Holy Quran in this form, but its derivative of "Sohof" has been used in the Holy Quran on 8 occasions.

"The recitation of the Holy Quran from the Moshaf (Book) is better that its recitation from memory."

"Nothing is more difficult and harder for the Shaitan than the recitation of the Quran from the Moshaf (book)."
)

09 - The Recitation Of The Holy Quran And Contemplating And Deliberating On It.

"Woe is upon the one who recites the divine Ayats, but dose not contemplates and thinks about it."

Recitation of The Holy Quran10 - The Recitation of The Holy Quran And Acting On It.

"How numerous are the reciters of the Holy Quran, and the Holy Quran curses them."

"The one who does not consider the Haram (forbidden) acts of the Holy Quran as Halal (permissible) does not believe and has no faith in the Holy Quran."

c) The one who learns the Holy Quran and does not act on it, Allah (SWT) will raise him as a blind (person) on the day of Resurrection."

So, any help or advice you can give me on anything will be helpful and appreciate. Sorry if my tone seems frustrated, but I just figured if I studied Al Qur'an and lived by it that the rest would take care of itself. For me, Islam is submission to the Will of Allah. I just have so much to learn and so little time to learn it. Insha Allah, I will succeed. Sallam

arzafar

brother Frank, your enthusiasm is certainly appreciated and praiseworthy but you must be careful when quoting things from the web. Some content from your last post seems to have been quoted from a shia site.

The subject of music has been discussed numerous times on this forum. If anyone wants to learn why/how it is haram, he should do a thread search.
Besides, asking the same question over and over again will not make music halal.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Assalamu'alykum,

Brother Arzarfa, Thank you for your caution. A word to the wise is sufficent. Now that I have started studying at the FIKS.org's website I will, Insha Allah, be better equipped to recognize and not let go by bid'a. I guess we need to pray for those who pray as we do that they recognize error and return to truth.

I agree that it is a waste of resources to start new threads which is why if you look at my post of 03-14-2010 at 10:11PM you will notice that I made that exact point with links. However, this thread did ask how to stop listening to music and not why music was haraam.

I deleted all references to anyone other than The Prophet (Salla Allahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallam) in my previous posts.

I have complete trust in Muhammad ibn Ismeel's Sahih and will try to limit most posts to Al Qur'aan and Muhammad ibn Ismeel's Sahih. This should, Insha Allah, eliminate any contention as he said that of the 1080 men from whom he learned hadith and sunnah of The Prophet (Salla Alayhu 'Alayhi Wa Sallam) over the 46 years and through out The Muslim World that they agreed on the basic creed found in abu Taubah's poem.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

Let's remember to stay on topic inshaAllaah ... the topic is not the permissibility of music - and as brother Frank has pointed out we've had numerous threads on that issue, but rather the question was on how to quit listening to Music.

If the brothers and sisters can provide tips/solutions or ideas on how to do this then please contribute, but for other issues and topics it would be better to create a separate thread.

JazaakAllaah khayr

wasalam