Protest against New Mosque Construction in Warsaw Poland

Abu Talib

Feeling low
28 March 2010

Dozens of people rallied Saturday in Warsaw to protest plans by the country's Muslim community to build a second mosque in the city.

Poland's Muslim population is small, estimated at around 40,000, and such protests are unusual. The event offered evidence that anxieties gripping the rest of Europe are now also taking root in this former communist country, as well.

The emotional rally drew a small group of counter-protesters. Police forming a barrier between the two sides, which had gathered at the mosque's construction site in an outlying Warsaw neighborhood.

The protesters chanted "Radical Islam, no thanks" and held up banners saying "Stop the Radicals" and "Political Islam is threat to Europe."

The counter-protesters carried banners reading "Warsaw is for everybody" and "Stop Islamophobia."

The anti-mosque protesters said they feared that radical Muslims would use the mosque to gain a foothold in Polish society. They were particularly disturbed by rumors that Saudi money is funding it -- a claim that could not be immediately confirmed.

"We oppose a mosque built with Saudi money when it's illegal to have a Bible or cross in Saudi Arabia," said Rafal Zak, a 31 -year-old real estate agent.

The Future of Europe Association claims that the organization behind the mosque, the Polish League of Muslims, has ties with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Local Muslims deny this. "The Polish League of Muslims is an organisation founded by Polish citizens and is officially registered," Boguslaw Zadorski, director of the Ibn Khaldun Institute in Warsaw and lecturer at Collegium Civitas, has stated, adding that "no-one has ever accused the organisation of breaking Polish law, and saying that the League is connected with the Muslim Brotherhood is tantamount to slander."

The mosque is being legally constructed according to planning permission granted by Warsaw City Council. “All the decisions and agreements for this investment were completed long ago,” Tomasz Andryszczyk from the Council has commented, adding that “it would be a shame if this building is surrounded by problems, especially as it is of a religious character.”

Poland's tiny Muslim population includes not only Tatars, an ethnic group that settled in Poland centuries ago, but also a growing number of students and businessmen from Arab countries. Several protesters said they valued the Tatars, who are moderate, integrated and hard to distinguish from other Poles, and oppose only extreme Islam.

Sources:

Vanessa Gera, "Dozens rally in Warsaw to protest plans for mosque" Associated Press March 27, 2010

"Anti-mosque demos take place in Warsaw" Polskie Radio March 27, 2010

Artemis

Banned
28 March 2010

Dozens of people rallied Saturday in Warsaw to protest plans by the country's Muslim community to build a second mosque in the city.

Poland's Muslim population is small, estimated at around 40,000, and such protests are unusual. The event offered evidence that anxieties gripping the rest of Europe are now also taking root in this former communist country, as well.

The emotional rally drew a small group of counter-protesters. Police forming a barrier between the two sides, which had gathered at the mosque's construction site in an outlying Warsaw neighborhood.

The protesters chanted "Radical Islam, no thanks" and held up banners saying "Stop the Radicals" and "Political Islam is threat to Europe."

The counter-protesters carried banners reading "Warsaw is for everybody" and "Stop Islamophobia."

The anti-mosque protesters said they feared that radical Muslims would use the mosque to gain a foothold in Polish society. They were particularly disturbed by rumors that Saudi money is funding it -- a claim that could not be immediately confirmed.

"We oppose a mosque built with Saudi money when it's illegal to have a Bible or cross in Saudi Arabia," said Rafal Zak, a 31 -year-old real estate agent.

The Future of Europe Association claims that the organization behind the mosque, the Polish League of Muslims, has ties with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Local Muslims deny this. "The Polish League of Muslims is an organisation founded by Polish citizens and is officially registered," Boguslaw Zadorski, director of the Ibn Khaldun Institute in Warsaw and lecturer at Collegium Civitas, has stated, adding that "no-one has ever accused the organisation of breaking Polish law, and saying that the League is connected with the Muslim Brotherhood is tantamount to slander."

The mosque is being legally constructed according to planning permission granted by Warsaw City Council. “All the decisions and agreements for this investment were completed long ago,” Tomasz Andryszczyk from the Council has commented, adding that “it would be a shame if this building is surrounded by problems, especially as it is of a religious character.”

Poland's tiny Muslim population includes not only Tatars, an ethnic group that settled in Poland centuries ago, but also a growing number of students and businessmen from Arab countries. Several protesters said they valued the Tatars, who are moderate, integrated and hard to distinguish from other Poles, and oppose only extreme Islam.

Sources:

Vanessa Gera, "Dozens rally in Warsaw to protest plans for mosque" Associated Press March 27, 2010

"Anti-mosque demos take place in Warsaw" Polskie Radio March 27, 2010

the poles see what happened in other countries and want to make sure it does not happen there. Plus, as they say, muslim countries make it hard, if not impossible, for churches to be built so why should they allow mosques?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
the poles see what happened in other countries and want to make sure it does not happen there. Plus, as they say, muslim countries make it hard, if not impossible, for churches to be built so why should they allow mosques?

There churches in all muslim countries for your kind info except Saudi Arabia since its a holy land. And if you ask why then would you allow me to build a Masjid in Vatican?

Artemis

Banned
There churches in all muslim countries for your kind info except Saudi Arabia since its a holy land. And if you ask why then would you allow me to build a Masjid in Vatican?

Let me see you are compring the Vatican with an area of 110 acres and zero muslim population and Saudi Arabia 2 million plus square kilometres and (at last count) 1.2 million Christians.

BigAk

Let me see you are compring the Vatican with an area of 110 acres and zero muslim population and Saudi Arabia 2 million plus square kilometres and (at last count) 1.2 million Christians.
I see your point... I think the Saudi government should allow the christians to build their churches in the Holy land; but only under the condition that their priests and ministers keep their Pedophilia contained behind closed doors.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Poland is a secular state which allows freedom to practice and propagate all religions to it citizens and their rights are protected by the constitution.

Whereas Saudi Arabia is an Islamic state which is ruled on basis of Islamic Law (Or Shariah). There is nothing in the constitution of Saudi that states 'religious freedom' to the people residing in the country. The country is a flag bearer of pure monotheism (Islam) and doesn't permit any other religious practices or acts of worship. Even deviated practices among some sect of muslims like grave worship, mysticism etc are strictly prohibited.

Therefore, the argument that 'there are no churches in saudi' holds no ground in such a discussion. If a country declares itself to be secular and guarantees 'religious freedom' in its constitution, then it has to allow its citizens to practice and propagate their religion without any conditions. Therefore, by preventing a mosque to be constructed in Warsaw, they are denying the rights of their muslim population.

I hope this makes sense.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
I see your point... I think the Saudi government should allow the christians to build their churches in the Holy land; but only under the condition that their priests and ministers keep their Pedophilia contained behind closed doors.

lol Pedophilia....

arzafar

i agree with broinislam.

in truth europe and US should just say it out aloud that they hate Islam. All this talk of freedom of religion, expression is whole lot of bull. In fact if they came out and said that, i would have a lot of respect for them and it would make things soooo much easier for everyone.

the hypocrisy of democracy is well evident here. in reality democracy is the theocracy of the majority. it's not rocket science. if the majority says you can not wear, build or practice something well you cant! real freedom exists only for the majority. yes decision can be challenged in the court but judges aren't immune from interpreting things the way they see fit.

Muslims who migrate and settle in these places expecting non-muslims to give them freedom to practice Islam are fools imho.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Muslims who migrate and settle in these places expecting non-muslims to give them freedom to practice Islam are fools imho.

:salam2:

I think the above is making a sweeping statement based on personal opinion (and emotions perhaps) rather than fact. There are plenty of muslim communities that are flourishing in US.

Also, there are lot of opportunities for non-arabic speaking folks to understand and study their deen here unlike in some muslim countries where opportunities are limited.

One is free to adopt whatever methodology he/she wants to follow, there are certain countries that indoctrinate their people with certain ideologies that are faulty or outright deviations.

As far as persecution based on religion is concerned, there are instances when we all hear cases of people being treated unjustly. But at the same time, persecutions take place in the Islamic countries too. I don't want to delve into specific instances or which countries etc, but it does take place when certain religious authorities pose a threat to the president/monarch.

May Allah subhaanahu waa ta'ala improve our state and protect our brothers and sisters in faith. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi