Cutting off hands in Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islam!!yay

:salam2:

I dont deny that Islam teaches us to cut someone else's hands off when they steal but according to a verse after the verse that says for the hands cutting , Allah Most Merciful says "But if anyone repents after his wrong doing and makes amends, God will accept his repentence: God is most forgiving, most merciful."

Doesn't this verse clearly says that If a person repents , he doesnt have to get his hands cut off ?

A lot of muslims are saying that Allah SWT will forgive after he gets his hands cut off that to me doesnt makes sense.

So pls bros/Sis shed some light on this subject

ShyHijabi

Asalaam alekum,

Basically you are mixing up forgiveness of sins with natural consequences of breaking the law. If someone murders someone then the matter of their soul and forgiveness is up to Allah swt, but it behooves the society to protect itself from further behavior of the criminal. So the person is jailed for life or given the death penalty depending on the law of the land.

If a child disobeys their parent and touches a hot stove they will get burnt, no matter if the parent forgives the child for disobedience. Action leads to consequence.

Islam!!yay

Asalaam alekum,

Basically you are mixing up forgiveness of sins with natural consequences of breaking the law. If someone murders someone then the matter of their soul and forgiveness is up to Allah swt, but it behooves the society to protect itself from further behavior of the criminal. So the person is jailed for life or given the death penalty depending on the law of the land.

If a child disobeys their parent and touches a hot stove they will get burnt, no matter if the parent forgives the child for disobedience. Action leads to consequence.

So you think that We have cut off someones hand if they steal even if they ask for forgiveness ? Murder is something and stealing is somoething

duran

So you think that We have cut off someones hand if they steal even if they ask for forgiveness ? Murder is something and stealing is somoething

How do we know if Allah forgive that person or not...

When someone steals, he can ask Allah forgiveness, but when the Muslim authority catches that person, they have to do what the Shari'ah has ordered them.

But if that person was never caught, he can ask Allah forgiveness, but nobody has promised him forgiveness, it all up to Allah.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salamalaikum

@ShyHijabi:
ur answer and logic rock sister....
@Islam!!yay:
What will one do when his/her little child will be stolen?Though I don want do mix murder and stealing. Yes forgiveness is a great vertue,one can forgive a theif if he/she wants....its up to him/her....but the Sha'ria gives him/her the will to forgive or punish. So you can forgive and no one will ask you...why you've done this.
Actually it depends upon the level of stealing....but the punishment is so....
The declared punishment is cutting off the hands...Allah is the all knower...He declared a rule for covering the whole span of stealing....like if a big theft:punishment is cutting off hands...otherwise it can be forgiven...but still the right to punish the theif.
Otherwise the mischief will increase and everyone will steal a bit and after acheiving his goal,he will repent and will ask for forgiveness......
and one thing: This Shari'a is also for indicating that how mean is to steal and how scary can be the destiny...in the world as well as @ the Qiamah..
Hope u've got that...brother.....

Jazakallahu Khair

a_stranger

:salam2:

2:179 (Picktall) And there is life for you in retaliation, O men of understanding, that ye may ward off (evil).

Translation of the meanings of Quran.

Life florish when crimials know that there is sever punishment waiting if they commit their crimes so this will stop them from the begining while nowadays systems encourge many to do their crimes and repeat them many times causing a great deal of sufferings in the society ,......... first Islam as a whole should be followed ,. Islam provide each indiviual a decent good way of living and encouge all to earn in a halal way .....it educates and plant fear of Allah sobhanahu wa taala ......and teaches that Allah sobhanahu wa taala rewards those who work and provide themselves and families very much ........one can`t cut hands in an unislamic society ...first we should struggle to make islamic environment.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam bro/sis,I read several times the verses of Quran in which is talked about cutting off the hand of a robber and whisping the body of the adulterer and so on...if a muslim fears Allah,he will not commit any crime and his soul will be guided to the right way,but suppose you to have lived at the time of the Prophet SAWS,in which Islam was at the beginning of its story.at that time it was necessary to put some limits and rules:there was robbery,violence above women,men had lots of wives...there was no respect,so,by my way of viewing,it was right to create a deterrent and protect the religion of Allah from bad intentions,innovations and sins.by consequence,if someone had been surprised while stealing something it was right to punish him by cutting off his hand,so that the next time he would not have made the same mistake.If the stealer admitted to be repented for his sin,only Allah knows,even if his hand might have been cut off,no problem about it...If these rules were respected nowdays too,maybe there were less robbers,drug makers,adulterers...but no!!The killer doesn't fear his Lord,the robber doesn't fear his Lord and the adulterer doesn't fear his Lord...what I said is just my supposition.before becoming muslima I committed some little robberies,and if at that time it was applied to my body the Shari'a,maybe today I would have not my both hands!Allah knows it best

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

if the case of stealing reaches the authority, they have to cut hands. even though he regrets or repents. but there is some min. amount of stealing fixed, which requires cutting hands.

if they dont cut hands, that means they are not ruling according to Allah's laws.

regarding his repentance, Allah will forgive him and not punish him in Hereafter. some scholars say that cutting of hands doesnt mean that Allah will not punish him, he should regret in his heart.

Allah knows best

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Baby you are still a pest. I remember the spongebob days. When someone is given the light of Islam they are no longer ignorant nor will they commit minor or major sins. We try to stop.
Allah gives us opportunity after opportunity to repent. Even to the point of murder. It is the victim that makes the decision. Hence the victim now is in position of authority. The thief, the wrongdoer, is the victim of the one who was victimized. Thus right always wins. And if the victim forgives out of his fear of Allah no more.

Hope this made sense.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
So stealing a chocolate or a toy requires one for the hands to be cut off ?

He steals equivalent to the amount (nisab) or more. The Nisab is one Dinar or ten Dirhams (i.e. 4.374 grams of gold).

Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: There is no cutting (of hands) for stealing that is less then ten Dirhams (Musnad Ahmad).

DENIZLI

Cutting off hands have nothing to do with Islam, it is only an arabic tradition, people in arabic countries they are maintaining arabic tradition and mixing it with Islam

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Cutting off hands have nothing to do with Islam, it is only an arabic tradition, people in arabic countries they are maintaining arabic tradition and mixing it with Islam

The hadd punishment for theft

the criminal punishment in muslim countrys seem to be different from the sunnah, like chopping a theifs fingers off and leaving his thumb if he stole for the first time(in iran this happens).is this sunnah?

Praise be to Allaah.

Theft is haraam according to the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus (ijmaa’). Allaah has condemned this action and decreed an appropriate punishment for it. The hadd punishment for a thief is to cut off his hand. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (as for) the male thief and the female thief, cut off (from the wrist joint) their (right) hands as a recompense for that which they committed, a punishment by way of example from Allaah. And Allaah is All Powerful, All Wise” [al-Maa’idah 5:38]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The hand should be cut off for (the theft of) a quarter of a dinar or more.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Hudood, 6291)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the thief because he is a corrupt element in society, and if he is left unpunished, his corruption will spread and infect the body of the ummah. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “May Allaah curse the thief who steals an egg and has his hand cut off, or steals a rope and has his hand cut off.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Hudood, 6285).

What indicates that this ruling is definitive is that fact that a Makhzoomi noblewoman stole at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and Usaamah ibn Zayd wanted to intercede for her. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) became angry and said, “Do you intercede concerning one of the hadd punishments set by Allaah? Those who came before you were destroyed because if a rich man among them stole, they would let him off, but if a lowly person stole, they would carry out the punishment on him. By Allaah, if Faatimah bint Muhammad were to steal, I would cut off her hand.” (al-Bukhaari, Ahaadeeth al-Anbiyaa’, 3216)

This is the ruling of Allaah concerning theft, that the hand should be cut off from the wrist joint.

Al-Nawawi said in his commentary on Saheeh Muslim: Al-Shaafa'i, Abu Haneefah, Maalik and the majority (of scholars) said: The hand should be cut off from the wrist, where the hand meets the forearm. Al-Qurtubi said: all the scholars said: The hand should be cut off from the wrist, not as some of the innovators do when they cut off the fingers and leave the thumb.

Because cutting off the hand is a serious matter, cutting off the hand of the thief should not be done for just any case of theft. A combination of conditions must be fulfilled before the hand of a thief is cut off. These conditions are as follows:

The thing should have been taken by stealth; if it was not taken by stealth, then (the hand) should not be cut off, such as when property has been seized by force in front of other people, because in this case the owner of the property could have asked for help to stop the thief.

1. The stolen property should be something of worth, because that which is of no worth has no sanctity, such as musical instruments, wine and pigs.

2. The value of the stolen property should be above a certain limit, which is three Islamic dirhams or a quarter of an Islamic dinar, or their equivalent in other currencies.

3. The stolen property should have been taken from a place where it had been put away, i.e., a place where people usually put their property, such as a cupboard, for example.

4. The theft itself has to be proven, either by the testimony of two qualified witnesses or by the confession of the thief twice.

5. The person from whom the property was stolen has to ask for it back; if he does not, then (the thief’s) hand does not have to be cut off.

If these conditions are fulfilled, then the hand must be cut off. If this ruling was applied in the societies which are content with man-made laws and which have cast aside the sharee’ah of Allaah and replaced it with human laws, this would be the most beneficial treatment for this phenomenon. But the matter is as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do they then seek the judgement of (the days of) Ignorance? And who is better in judgement than Allaah for a people who have firm Faith” [al-Maa’idah 5:50]

See al-Jaami’ li Ahkaam al-Qur’aan, 6/159; al-Mulakhkhas al-Fiqhi, 2/442

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
So stealing a chocolate or a toy requires one for the hands to be cut off ?

The Hadd Punishment for Theft

Because cutting off the hand is a serious matter, cutting off the hand of the thief should not be done for just any case of theft. A combination of conditions must be fulfilled before the hand of a thief is cut off. These conditions are as follows:

The thing should have been taken by stealth; if it was not taken by stealth, then (the hand) should not be cut off, such as when property has been seized by force in front of other people, because in this case the owner of the property could have asked for help to stop the thief.

1. The stolen property should be something of worth, because that which is of no worth has no sanctity, such as musical instruments, wine and pigs.

2. The value of the stolen property should be above a certain limit, which is three Islamic dirhams or a quarter of an Islamic dinar, or their equivalent in other currencies.

3. The stolen property should have been taken from a place where it had been put away, i.e., a place where people usually put their property, such as a cupboard, for example.

4. The theft itself has to be proven, either by the testimony of two qualified witnesses or by the confession of the thief twice.

5. The person from whom the property was stolen has to ask for it back; if he does not, then (the thief’s) hand does not have to be cut off.

If these conditions are fulfilled, then the hand must be cut off. If this ruling was applied in the societies which are content with man-made laws and which have cast aside the sharee’ah of Allaah and replaced it with human laws, this would be the most beneficial treatment for this phenomenon. But the matter is as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do they then seek the judgement of (the days of) Ignorance? And who is better in judgement than Allaah for a people who have firm Faith” [al-Maa’idah 5:50]

See al-Jaami’ li Ahkaam al-Qur’aan, 6/159; al-Mulakhkhas al-Fiqhi, 2/442

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

usually people who dispute about legislated punishments in Islam such as this (cutting hand if a thief) are usually people who never had anything valuable stolen to them. It is always easy to say "ah why cut arm of a thief, why kill a rapiest etc, why not forgive, Allah is merciful", until it happens to one of us. When it happens to us we forget the part of mercy we were talking about and now, who cares, kill that guy and don't just cut his hand of! True isn't it?

Anyways, Allah is the one who prescribed these punishments and not us. And he is Allah, He is Alghafur (the forgiver) and yes He is the one who prescribed these punishments.

However, there needs to be a Muslim ruler, a Muslim judgge who will sentence people to punishments and there are special people who carry out punishments. Every individual Muslim can't do or perform these punishments. That is very important to know.

Allah knows best

Wassalam

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
Allah knows best,but remember that a real muslim does not steal even the littlest thing,cause he knows that Allah is wathcing at him and remember that everything comes from a robbery is Haram,so if a desperate father of family is obliged to steal to grant food to his sons,he's making an action that is Haram for him and for his family.So let's be honest and let's invite others to make the same,so Allah will be mercyful with us

hana*

prevention is by far better than cure. Islam's justice system makes perfect sense and prevents moral and social decay;

if 'life for a life' and the cutting of the hands was implemented in the West, the number of murderers, thieves, rapicts, child abusers etc etc would diminish- in turn reducing the cost contibuted by tax payers and resources such as police, lawyers and hospitals would be reduced- which are currently exhausted.

if the current man-made laws were sufficient and effective, we wouldnt see s** offenders commiting the same crimes after leaving jail, we wouldnt see parents butchering their children etc etc

safiya58

:salam2: brother Islam!!yay,

first of all I want to reassure you that Allah Subanallahu Teala is the most Just He wrongs not. And if He has decreed something then there is for sure good in it. Even if we may can not understand it.

Allah says in an hadith Qutsi:

“‘O My servants, I have forbidden oppression for Myself and have made it forbidden amongst you, so do not oppress one another...."

Back to your question. Physical punishments (like cutting off hands or stoning to death) can only be exerted within Islamic societies. There is a three stage model:

1) Islam defines values we should live for (haram and halal)
2) then it creates the prerequisites of an appropriate islamic environment
3) and only if this is the case such punishments can be carred out.

Today you can not find a single country in this world where these conditions are given. Also not Saudi Arabia. Before cutting off the hand of a theft, the hand of the authorities who consume unlawfull goods have to be cut off first

please forgive me for mmy bad english.

:wasalam:

Status
Not open for further replies.