Jay-z Freeway rapper takes to Islam- TheDeenShow

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

[yt]VCopLvtI8z4&feature=player_embedded#[/yt]

I seek refuge with Allah, the Hearing, the Knowing, from the cursed Satan, from his coercion, lures to arrogance and poems

Luqman

And of mankind is he who payeth for mere pastime of discourse, that he may mislead from Allah's way without knowledge, and maketh it the butt of mockery. For such there is a shameful doom. (6)
31:6

Tafsir Ibn Kathir

The Doomed are preoccupied with Idle Talk and They turn away from the Ayat of Allah

When Allah mentions the blessed -- who are those who are guided by the Book of Allah and benefit from hearing it, as He says:

[اللَّهُ نَزَّلَ أَحْسَنَ الْحَدِيثِ كِتَـباً مُّتَشَـبِهاً مَّثَانِيَ تَقْشَعِرُّ مِنْهُ جُلُودُ الَّذِينَ يَخْشَوْنَ رَبَّهُمْ ثُمَّ تَلِينُ جُلُودُهُمْ وَقُلُوبُهُمْ إِلَى ذِكْرِ اللَّهِ]

(Allah has sent down the Best Statement, a Book, its parts resembling each other (and) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it. Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allah) (39:23). He connect that with mention of the doomed, those who turn away from the Qur'an and do not benefit from hearing the Words of Allah. Instead, they turn to listening to flutes and singing accompanied by musical instruments. As Ibn Mas`ud commented about the Ayah:

[وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ الْحَدِيثِ لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ]

(And of mankind is he who purchases Lahu Al-Hadith to mislead (men) from the path of Allah), he said, "This -- by Allah -- refers to singing.''

[وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ الْحَدِيثِ لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ]

(And of mankind is he who purchases Lahw Al-Hadith to mislead (men) from the path of Allah without knowledge, ) Qatadah said: "By Allah, he may not spend money on it, but his purchasing it means he likes it, and the more misguided he is, the more he likes it and the more he prefers falsehood to the truth and harmful things over beneficial things.'' It was said that what is meant by the words

[يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ الْحَدِيثِ]

(purchases idle talks) is buying singing servant girls. Ibn Jarir said that it means all speech that hinders people from seeing the signs of Allah and following His path. His saying:

[لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ]

(to mislead (men) from the path of Allah) means, he does this to oppose Islam and its followers وَيَتَّخِذَهَا هُزُواً]

(and takes it by way of mockery.) Mujahid said, "This means mocking the path of Allah and making fun of it.''

[أُوْلَـئِكَ لَهُمْ عَذَابٌ مُّهِينٌ]

(For such there will be a humiliating torment.) Just as they showed no respect to the signs and path of Allah, so they will be shown no respect on the Day of Resurrection, and they will be subjected to a painful, ongoing torment. Then Allah says:

[وَإِذَا تُتْلَى عَلَيْهِ ءَايَـتُنَا وَلَّى مُسْتَكْبِراً كَأَن لَّمْ يَسْمَعْهَا كَأَنَّ فِى أُذُنَيْهِ وَقْراً]

(And when Our Ayat are recited to such a one, he turns away in pride, as if he heard them not -- as if there were deafness in his ear.) means, when these Qur'anic verses are recited to one who is fond of idleness and play, he turns away from them and does not want to hear them. He turns a deaf ear to them as if he can hear nothing, because it annoys him to hear them since he gains no benefit from them and has no interest in them.

[فَبَشِّرْهُ بِعَذَابٍ أَلِيمٍ]

(So announce to him a painful torment.) i.e., on the Day of Resurrection, which will hurt him just as much as listening to the Book of Allah and its verses hurt him.

DanyalSAC

Sorry I'm not impressed. This brother continues to spew horrible rap out of the same mouth he sends praises to Allah with? He goes to Hajj on money he earns selling this junk? The brother couldn't even be bothered to take off his sunglasses for the interview.

May Allah forgive me being jaded here...but it seems like every other week another black rapper throws out that he's Muslim, dons a white thobe & kufi and the world bows and scrapes to him. Allahu alim.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother when we look at the history of the African American peoples of the United States we must take into consideration the large number of slaves that were Muslim.
Although, Islam had visited the Peoples of Tribal Nations, Islam made treaties with the Nations. Records have been dated to the 1630's. It was the African slave that implemented Islam in the Colonies. The oral traditions tell of the people who prayed five times a day facing East. There are specific areas in the Carolina mountains and in Georgia that had vast number of freed slaves that were able to exercise the Correct Faith.
On the plantations the slave was forbidden from being able to practice the True Faith. The slave could only worship at the church. The Believing slave passed down to his descendants his Belief.
The impact of Islam is deep in the descendants of the slaves. Therefore it is an easier conversion. Hence, you see the conversion every other week.
It is up to us to transition the sincere seekers with support and compassion.

DanyalSAC

I am fully aware of the Islamic tradition in slavery. Between the 1500s and about 1850 one in five slaves brought to the US were Muslim. I read writings by Omar ibn Said, one of the only Muslim slaves to have written his autobiography in Arabic. We're talking ancient history here.

I came back to edit the rest of this post, because it wouldn't put me in a very good light. If folks like to support Freeway or Ice Cube or any of the others who rap about selling crack etc and then say astaghirullah, who flaunt their bad behavior knowing its bad and then get glorified on an Islamic programming like The Deen Show then more power to them. I just choose to pick different role models.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum

AlhamduliAllaah Allaah guids whom He wills:D

aaam, but that is not Jay Z himself, he used to work (rap) with Jay Z......known as freeway, correct me if I am wrong. According to the video,he was a Muslim since he was 15 but now chose to PRACTICE Islam and not be a muslim by name, alhamduliAllaah. Anyways, just thought I'd say that.
Take care all

sal12

Sorry I'm not impressed. This brother continues to spew horrible rap out of the same mouth he sends praises to Allah with? He goes to Hajj on money he earns selling this junk? The brother couldn't even be bothered to take off his sunglasses for the interview.

May Allah forgive me being jaded here...but it seems like every other week another black rapper throws out that he's Muslim, dons a white thobe & kufi and the world bows and scrapes to him. Allahu alim.[/Q

Assalamu alaykum,

What's wrong with a rapper announcing their faith to Islam "every other week?????"

You have to understand that he said he was from the streets which means the way he talks is how he has probably always talked. He's not putting it on, it's his dialect and it's good that he's just being genuine, being himself. People don't change the way they talk because they convert to Islam. He's been in the music business for years so if he does rap a little it's probably out of habit.

Why judge him just because he wears sunglasses?

No one's bowing or scraping to him. He's telling his story because a lot of young Muslims who may not be on the right path would find his story inspirational as he's a famous rapper.

Im unsure as to why you have percieved his interview in a negative way.

Ma'asalama

DanyalSAC

May Allah forgive me being jaded here...but it seems like every other week another black rapper throws out that he's Muslim, dons a white thobe & kufi and the world bows and scrapes to him. Allahu alim.[/Q

Assalamu alaykum,

What's wrong with a rapper announcing their faith to Islam "every other week?????"

You have to understand that he said he was from the streets which means the way he talks is how he has probably always talked. He's not putting it on, it's his dialect and it's good that he's just being genuine, being himself. People don't change the way they talk because they convert to Islam. He's been in the music business for years so if he does rap a little it's probably out of habit.

Why judge him just because he wears sunglasses?

No one's bowing or scraping to him. He's telling his story because a lot of young Muslims who may not be on the right path would find his story inspirational as he's a famous rapper.

Im unsure as to why you have percieved his interview in a negative way.

Ma'asalama

Because these rappers don't change anything. They still rap. They still wear their pants hanging off their butts. They still glorify drugs, womanizing, guns, violence. Now they do it as Muslims and they're being praised for it, talking about crack and women then say astaghirullah (and many of them do it in their "music"). As I said, I choose a different role model. I prefer seeing artists like Loon who stopped making his music.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother it is not that they are black that they do not change. Color has nothing to do with that decision. It is that they choose not to change.

DanyalSAC

Assalaam walaikum,

Brother it is not that they are black that they do not change. Color has nothing to do with that decision. It is that they choose not to change.

Not once in ANY of my posts did I say it was about race. I used a discriptive word in my first reply, but didn't imply that that was a factor.

Abdul25

Logical Believer

May Allah forgive me being jaded here...but it seems like every other week another black rapper throws out that he's Muslim, dons a white thobe & kufi and the world bows and scrapes to him. Allahu alim.

:salam2:

i second you ..

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Because these rappers don't change anything. They still rap. They still wear their pants hanging off their butts. They still glorify drugs, womanizing, guns, violence. Now they do it as Muslims and they're being praised for it, talking about crack and women then say astaghirullah (and many of them do it in their "music"). As I said, I choose a different role model. I prefer seeing artists like Loon who stopped making his music.

Well I think at least these rappers have a good excuse, it can be hard for some people to completely leave everything they've been apart for so many years. Muslims who have been born and raised Muslim do worst things knowing exactly what they are doing is wrong and unIslamic. That's how most drug dealers, rappers, etc... even come to Islam because they know someone who is "Muslim" only by mouth that they're friends with and then they do further research on their own. So May Allah guide us all, new and old Muslims alike. Amin

safiya58

Well I think at least these rappers have a good excuse, it can be hard for some people to completely leave everything they've been apart for so many years. Muslims who have been born and raised Muslim do worst things knowing exactly what they are doing is wrong and unIslamic. That's how most drug dealers, rappers, etc... even come to Islam because they know someone who is "Muslim" only by mouth that they're friends with and then they do further research on their own. So May Allah guide us all, new and old Muslims alike. Amin

:salam2:
I don´t want to judge them I even don´t know much about their lifestyle but if it is like brother DanyalSAC has described then there is no excuse for such a behaviour sister... What someone has done in the past is in the past that does not matter... what counts is how he is now... There are many and many repenters (reverts and born muslims) among the muslims who sacrificed for the sake of Allah. They´ve also changed their live to 360 degrees.... I don´t want to play the deen police and I also don´t deny that it is really hard to make changes. But you sounded like: "oh when the old muslims do not care to commit haram then it is less evil if the new ones do so...." ammen to your dua. May Allah guide us all.
:wasalam:

DanyalSAC

Hmm subhanAllah we need to get our quotes fixed up above LOL.

But see, the ONLY reason I am saying anything here is because it was a public interview put on a publicly televised program. I wouldn't dream of starting a thread just to simply bash the brother. Does not the hadith Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Number 79 say:

...."When you see an evil act you have to stop it with your hand. If you can't, then at least speak out against it with your tongue. If you can't, then at least you have to hate it with all your heart. And this is the weakest of faith."

I personally have nothing against the brother. But I DO have a problem with him & his version of Islam being promoted by the Deen Show:

Is ya gonna ride? (Sho' nuff)
If them n<censored> try ya, pull a homicide (sho' nuff)
Empty fifty bullets right in they behind (sho' nuff)
I'm the meanest, toughest, mofo low down around this town
Ain't ya gonna move? (Sho' nuff)
If them n<censored> try ya, will ya show and prove? (Sho' nuff)
Run up on them, empty fifty from the tool (sho' nuff)
I'm the meanest, toughest, mofo low down around this town

N<censored> wanna war with me, I take 'em on live
I blast the 4-5, you have to pick 'em on up (on up)
He get mangled, I'm bilingual
Abdul Hadi taught me Arabic, I took him on Hajj (on Hajj)
Shaquan, Jazakumullah Hukhair
In the city we residin they warin like the Al-Qaeda
We're never warin, performin like Leonidas
Y'all dudes lazy, you bust a grub and get n-ggaitis
Put the burner to your gums like gingivitis
Floss with bullets, I'll pull it, crack your eye wear
Hell if I care, I handle business, leave you right here
N<censored> can't afford the lenses I wear
Look at my pair, they are Aviators, y'all are player haters
You can never fly or get a seat in my Lear, you need a high chair
You can try the one but it will get you done
You can go and get your duns, n<censored> it will get them aired, yeah

These are lyrics off his 2010 CD! Yes, this is how our Muslim Brother is using his Islam: as lyrics in a rap so he can use his lear to fly himself to Hajj.

And YES I will speak out against it, because he's making his behavior publicly know and he's doing it as a Muslim.

sal12

I still disagree with you I don't think we should judge people but everyone is entitled to their opinion! :)

Abdul25

Logical Believer
I still disagree with you I don't think we should judge people but everyone is entitled to their opinion! :)

He is not supporting islam, his actions are not according to islamic law..
he contracts in his acts with what he calls as a Muslim .. we are not judging him.. we r saying that his rap doesnt represent islam neither islam allows to rap, nor use music..

he is only giving a wrong image of islam.. like one of my friends who calls himself a muslim and drinks and goes to parties.. my other Christian friend said what kind of muslim you are.. your other muslim friend goes to parties, drinks and he is muslim, why dont you do that.. now what should i say?
he is a bad name to islam.. simple is that.

sirajstc

*Plz Ask Dua 4 Me*
Assalaamu alaikum

AlhamduliAllaah Allaah guids whom He wills:D

aaam, but that is not Jay Z himself, he used to work (rap) with Jay Z......known as freeway, correct me if I am wrong. According to the video,he was a Muslim since he was 15 but now chose to PRACTICE Islam and not be a muslim by name, alhamduliAllaah. Anyways, just thought I'd say that.
Take care all

:ma::ma::ma: