Muslim group issues warning to ‘South Park’

Abu Talib

Feeling low
LOS ANGELES - A radical Muslim group has warned the creators of "South Park" that they could face violent retribution for depicting the prophet Muhammad in a bear suit during last week's episode.

The website RevolutionMuslim.com has since been taken down, but a cached version shows the message to "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. The article's author, Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee of New York, said the men "outright insulted" the religious leader.

The posting showed a gruesome picture of Theo Van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker who was shot and stabbed to death in an Amsterdam street in 2004 by a fanatic angered by his film about Muslim women. The film was written by a Muslim woman who rejected the Prophet Muhammad as a guide for today's morality.

"We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show," Al-Amrikee wrote. "This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them."

The posting listed the addresses of Comedy Central's New York office and Parker and Stone's California production office. It also linked to a Huffington Post article that described a Colorado retreat owned by the two men.

CNN, which first reported the posting, said the New York-based website is known for postings in support of Osama bin Laden and jihad, or holy war, against the West.

Poster says group admires Osama bin Laden
Al-Amrikee told The Associated Press in a phone call Wednesday that the posting was made to raise awareness of the issue and to see that it does not happen again.

Asked if Parker and Stone should feel threatened by it, he said "they should feel threatened by what they did."

He said he was disappointed that publicity about the posting focused more on the potential danger to the producers but admitted, "I could shoulder some blame" for it.

He said he "can't answer that legally" when asked if his group favored jihad. But he praised bin Laden.

"We look up to him and admire him for the sacrifices he has given for the religion," he said.

Last week's episode, the 200th for the cheeky and often vulgar cartoon, was intended to feature many of the personalities and groups that Parker and Stone insulted during the series' run.

In 2006, Comedy Central banned the men from showing an image of Muhammad on their show. They had intended to comment on the controversy created by a Danish newspaper's publishing of caricatures of the Islamic leader. Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous.

Instead, "South Park" showed an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President George W. Bush and the American flag.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36696093/ns/entertainment-television

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

I think muslims ought to be deeply offended by them portraying Prophet Isa (Alleihi Salaam) in such a disgusting and despicable manner as well. Prophet Isa (Alleihi Salaam) is after all one of Allah's mighty prophets who worked to make Allah's word supreme as did all these noble and wonderful prophets.

We should protest and show our disgust at them portraying all of Allah's prophets (Peace be upon them all) in poor light.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Abu Talib

Feeling low
I wonder if they would hold back. They usually claim they make fun of every one even the President of the United States. We need strong protest and legal actions if they proceed.

Al-Indunisiy

I wonder if they would hold back. They usually claim they make fun of every one even the President of the United States. We need strong protest and legal actions if they proceed.

And they do!
For example, the ones that I've encountered are:
-Sarah Palin, Kim Jong Il, Hitler, The British Royal Family, The BNP Party,
Catholic priests, Actors, Actresses, The Pope, Christian fundementalists, Abercrombie & Fitch, Numerous films, etc.

Sakeena

What exactly can we do to stop this? I mean what can we really do about this? I honestly wouldn't care if the creators of South Park end up like that Van Gogh man. SubhanAllah! :girl3:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Well, if they have such low morals and think of broadcasting despicable things in the form of 'art/ something cool', then we muslims certainly don't subscribe to their version of art nor do we think that it is 'cool'. It is corrupt and surely a work in which shaitaan is an accomplice.

We muslims genuinely love and respect our prophets (peace be upon them all) and in no way do we find it funny if they are portrayed in such poor light, that too broadcasted to millions upon millions around the world.

The usual response from the kuffar is "You should learn to laugh at yourself". And the perfect answer for that is that we don't tarnish the image of our beloved prophets (peace be upon them all) in order to have a laugh. No thank you !

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
What exactly can we do to stop this? I mean what can we really do about this? I honestly wouldn't care if the creators of South Park end up like that Van Gogh man. SubhanAllah! :girl3:

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

You can write to newspaper editorials explaining how deeply it hurts you to see something like this even been discussed. Some newspapers have a section on their website, where you can blog as well.

There are so many ways to reach out with modern technology. We just need to put the time and little effort to let our opinions get noticed .

kayleigh

I think this is so over the top. Just calm down and get over it already. No wonder people think Muslims are a bunch of hot-headed barbarians or something.

South Park draws Jesus and makes fun of him all the time, but I haven't seen Muslims get all up in arms about that. Last time I checked Isa was a prophet as well. Double standard.

ShyHijabi

I think this is so over the top. Just calm down and get over it already. No wonder people think Muslims are a bunch of hot-headed barbarians or something.

South Park draws Jesus and makes fun of him all the time, but I haven't seen Muslims get all up in arms about that. Last time I checked Isa was a prophet as well. Double standard.

Exactly.

What we could do is simply ignore these people, after all their shows lives off ratings and causing a ruckus. The fact of the matter is there is no such thing as a "Cartoon" of the prophet or a "drawing" of the prophet. They are drawing or animating a picture of someone and slapping a label on it. By reacting so stupidly it just fuels the fire and more people want to try it to get a reaction. I could draw a picture of some random person and call it Kayleigh but it wouldn't be her.

Kakorot

Weren't you ever told, "just ignore him and hell go away!" When you were being bothered by a particularly obnoxious infant. I was and it usually worked.

Yes, well we're Muslims and we believe Muhammad :saw2: is the best of God's creation, so we can't ignore offences which are directed towards him, can we? But that doesn't mean that we have to be violent, we must educate people as to who Muhammad (peace be upon him) really was, and what he did, his mission on earth and so forth. Some Muslims prefer burning flags, which doesn't make a difference, nor brings any benefit.

Almaas

The death threats are totally unnecessary. It gives them more reason to label and protray us as 'extremeists' in the media. We should go about this respectably, like how our beloved Prophet (PBUH) taught.

Al-Indunisiy

You can write to newspaper editorials explaining how deeply it hurts you to see something like this even been discussed. Some newspapers have a section on their website, where you can blog as well.

There are so many ways to reach out with modern technology. We just need to put the time and little effort to let our opinions get noticed .

I second what BrotherInIslam7 has said.

I would like to paraphrase what an atheist said on another forum: The opposition is not to the fact that muslims complain at all. It is mostly because people presume when muslims complain they would make death/violent threats and absolute demands.

Re: South Park creators warned over Muhammad depiction

when something is targeted at us, everyone tells us to shut up and get over it becuase "so and such target every group and everyone." why is it when it happens to us we are told to shut up and ignore it otherwise it will just draw more attention whereas this isnt the case for others. would this be the case for others who got targeted?

Well I certainly do not say that. It is your right to complain if you like. Those who state that you (and Muslims in general) should be quiet and ignore it likely do so in the context of presuming that threats of violence are laced and absolute demands are made.

But, it is up to you. When Christians complained about Monty Python it bought more attention to it. When they complained about Jerry Springer: The Opera, the same also happened.

:wasalam:

omar162

BrotherinIslam7, I completely agree with you that we need to voice our opinions and disgust at this situation. I'm more offended that there are people out there supposedly 'speaking on my behalf of my faith' to issue death threats against even people like Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park. We, as Muslims, have to articulate our position on the depiction of our Prophet (SAW) using something other than death threats and violence. We need to use our pen, not violence. How can we make da'wah to non-muslims that we believe in the sacredness of human life, and that Islam is the religion of peace when our first reaction to insults directed at us is with death threats and violence?

If we Muslims really took the time to study the life and sunnah of Prophet Mohammed (SAW) we wouldn't be seeing groups like RevolutionMuslim out there speaking for our faith.

omar162

Excellent point, Sis. I bet the people threatening the creators of the show haven't even seen South Park before.

Valerie

I've watched South Park before, it's been a while though. Honestly, if this group hadn't brought it up, I would never have known what any of their recent episodes is about. If anything, they got MORE viewers (those curious, and those offended) than less. Obviously, I probably shouldn't give my opinion, so excuse me if I'm completely off on this... I really think the best way to counteract issues like this is to spread truth instead of getting angry and threatening people. People know these guys just like to push buttons, but if the response is.. "Here's why we don't appreciate what's going on..." people will be more likely to listen and be sympathetic.

arzafar

It's important to show some kind of reaction to these things to let people know that Muslims are alive and aware (albeit embarrassingly powerless to do anything to influence or prevent such things from occurring). Ignoring it altogether implies weakness of faith and perhaps even hypocrisy.

The reason muslims' reaction to these issues goes over board is that Muslims dont desecrate others' gods/deities/holy-figures so it's an insult + injustice when somebody make fun of Muhammad (as) or Allah (swt).

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/86109

With regards to not reacting when 'Jesus' is made fun of.
The problem is that the guy on the cross is not Jesus, nor is the guy with an ellipse over his head. Similarly the lady in many of the pictures is not Mary. Making fun of that guy on those pictures has nothing to do with Islam and so doesn't warrant any reaction. In fact those figures are condemnable and are definitely not sacred as far as Islam goes. Venerating those figures would constitute kufr.