Can a Moslim go to a christian funeral

AAminAA

Amatullah
:salam2:

Can someone tell me when uncle of Muhammad s.a.w.s., died and we all know that he died under state of non believer, what the Prophet a.s., did. How he reacted ?

When dies someone who was good toward you, never harmed you, it's your obligatory to visit his family.

"Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just." ( Al-Mumtahina - 8 )

Narrated 'Abdur Rahman bin Abi Laila: Sahl bin Hunaif and Qais bin Sad were sitting in the city of Al-Qadisiya. A funeral procession passed in front of them and they stood up. They were told that funeral procession was of one of the inhabitants of the land i.e. of a non-believer, under the protection of Muslims. They said, "A funeral procession passed in front of the Prophet and he stood up. When he was told that it was the coffin of a Jew, he said, "Is it not a living being (soul)?"

The prophet s.a.w.s, said that we can get reward/savap in all living creatures. It's statet in sahihul Bukhari Kitabullah edeb . We know how much the Prophet a.s., talked about the neighbours . Narrated by Abu Zerra r.a., :" Oce prophet a.s., told me, when you cook the food, put more wather in and give to your neighbours. " Stated in book of Imam Muslim.

It is narrated on the authority of Anas that the Prophet (may peace blessings be upon him) observed: By Him in whose Hand is my life, no, bondsman (truly) believes till he likes for his neighbour, or he (the Holy Prophet) said: for his brother, whatever he likes for himself. (Sahihul Muslim Book #001, Hadith #0073)

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: He will not enter Paradise whose neighbour is not secure from his wrongful conduct. (Book #001, Hadith #0074)

It is reported on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed: He who believes in Allah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silence; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should treat his neighbour with kindness and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest. (Book #001, Hadith #0075)

Anas b. Malik reported this hadith (with a slight variation of wording) Then AlIah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ate and the people of his house also ate. but (still) there was left a surplus, which they sent to their neighbours. (Book #023, Hadith #5063)

'A'isha reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Gabriel impressed upon me (kind treatment) towards the neighbour (so much) that I thought as if he would confer upon him the (right) of inheritance. (Book #032, Hadith #6354)

(26) Ibn Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Gabriel impressed upon me (the kind treatment) towards the neighbour (so much) that I thought as if he would soon confer upon him the (right) of inheritance. (Book #032, Hadith #6356)

From all this we see how we need to treat the neighbours , with what kindnes. Thats why it's permited to go to that family. There is ofcourse one condition. Not to interfear with something that is haram, like drinking alcohol, crying out loud and slaping in the face.. ext.,

Narrated 'Abdullah: the Prophet said, "He who slaps his cheeks, tears his clothes and follows the ways and traditions of the Days of Ignorance is not one of us."

And for those who have family members non-believers , here is interessting hadith about crying when they die, and you are muslim :

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Ubaidullah bin Abi Mulaika: One of the daughters of 'Uthman died at Mecca. We went to attend her funeral procession. Ibn 'Umar and Ibn Abbas were also present. I sat in between them (or said, I sat beside one of them. Then a man came and sat beside me.) 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said to 'Amr bin 'Uthman, "Will you not prohibit crying as Allah's Apostle has said, 'The dead person is tortured by the crying of his relatives.?" Ibn Abbas said, "Umar used to say so." Then he added narrating, "I accompanied Umar on a journey from Mecca till we reached Al-Baida. There he saw some travelers in the shade of a Samura (A kind of forest tree). He said (to me), "Go and see who those travelers are." So I went and saw that one of them was Suhaib. I told this to 'Umar who then asked me to call him. So I went back to Suhaib and said to him, "Depart and follow the chief of the faithful believers." Later, when 'Umar was stabbed, Suhaib came in weeping and saying, "O my brother, O my friend!" (on this 'Umar said to him, "O Suhaib! Are you weeping for me while the Prophet said, "The dead person is punished by some of the weeping of his relatives?" Ibn Abbas added, "When 'Umar died I told all this to Aisha and she said, 'May Allah be merciful to Umar. By Allah, Allah's Apostle did not say that a believer is punished by the weeping of his relatives. But he said, Allah increases the punishment of a non-believer because of the weeping of his relatives." Aisha further added, "The Quran is sufficient for you (to clear up this point) as Allah has stated: 'No burdened soul will bear another's burden.' " (35.18). Ibn Abbas then said, "Only Allah makes one laugh or cry." Ibn Umar did not say anything after that...

But..

no hadith stated of attending non-believers funeral .

Allah knows best !

hellbraker

Oops! I think my post was deleted.If it was done by Moderators ,thank you.But I think it should have been told to me by a PM,that it was deleted.
But if it was a glitch in the system,forgive me.
Should I post it again or just leave it ?,as I think my post was changing the subject.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Oops! I think my post was deleted.If it was done by Moderators ,thank you.But I think it should have been told to me by a PM,that it was deleted.
But if it was a glitch in the system,forgive me.
Should I post it again or just leave it ?,as I think my post was changing the subject.

If your post was deleted, then it is probably because of a good reason.

Either it was off topic (generally they do not delete such post), or you posted some irrelevant and misleading material.
I could be wrong, but those are the typical reasons why the moderators delete the posts.
Perhaps the moderator will send a PM soon.

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
"And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.” Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh, 2167 from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah."

Assalamu Alaykum

What? The Prophet PBUH was good to every one even those who harmed them so i doubt this is true. A great example is the old woman that throw things at him when he pass by her home and she gets sick and he visit her to make sure she is alright. If the Propher BPUH told us this then what about his action and what Islam teaches which is peace toward all.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
So wait a minute, this means I can't go to my mother's funeral when she dies?? I thought we were beholden to our mothers three times as much as to anyone else? Waseem brings up a very good point, males can marry Christian and Jewish women but we can't be kind and living towards them???

I think this scholar is manipulating fiqh, frankly. I think I will ask a scholar face to face on a matter as serious as this, as opposed to getting a fatwas online.

i think you are right. this was a pretty bad fatwa. i can understand that the muslim attending these services shouldn't partake in the rituals, for that may lead to shirk. however, we as muslims are allowed to marry jews and christians, how can we not attend our spouses funerals? some scholars and non scholars throw the word kafir a little too loosely. a kafir is really a person who has islam presented to them and upon the presentation and the evidences given of the truth of islam to them and they still reject them, that's who a kafir is. a person who hasn't been presented islam can't be considered a kafir because they have no knowledge of islam to either accept or deny islam. non-muslims that aren't informed of islam should always be considered as possible shahadahs, unless they deny islam without even attempting to know of the evidences of islam.
:wasalam:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum,

When we can't show any compassion or respect for the kaafir at all (no respect would mean treating them as second class humans), then we can't really be surprised if they return that favour and treatment to us - specially those of us living in the west. That's assuming that we can't even show respect and so on - or walk into a church etc. (Didn't Omar bin Khattab (RA) enter a church where they asked him if he'd like to pray inside, and he refused?)

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Attending the funeral of a non-Muslim colleague in the church out of respect for the deceased
Is it permissible for a Muslim to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend if it is in the church, as a sign of respect for the deceased?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for the Muslim to attend the funeral of a kaafir or to enter their churches, even if that is a sign of respect etc, because attending the funeral is a way of showing love and respect, and it is not permissible to show that towards a kaafir, according to the correct view.

Moreover the questioner says, “to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend” – but it is not permissible for a Muslim to take a kaafir as a friend, because Allaah has commanded us to regard them as enemies, to shun them and to keep away from them. This does not mean that we should not deal with them or buy and sell or form business partnerships with them. That is one thing, and taking them as friends is another thing. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allaah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the party of Allaah. Verily, it is the party of Allaah that will be the successful”

[al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.” Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh, 2167 from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.

Shaykh Sulaymaan ib nNaasir al-‘Alwaan

from here

I wonder what would happen if I shared this scholarly article at the University for Islam Awareness Week. I'm sure they'd come running to the religion then, wouldn't they?

Here's a verse from the Quran in it's entirety:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]As for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably.[/FONT]
Surah 60: Verse 8.

http://www.islamicity.com/QuranSearch/

Salam alaikum.

nori suja'i

only Islam religion does'nt need candles or fire during praying as we know - why?
i guess everybody know the answer...

*FatimaFilsan*

To the sister who wants to know if she can go to her friends funeral, i recommend that you ask this question to your local sheikh or a knowledgeable scholar in your area. The internet is not the best place to get answers to islamic questions. Anyone can post fatwas and sometimes the answers to those fatwas may not apply to you or they may not even be the correct answers. Please check in with the sheikh at your mosque and i pray to Allah that you find the right answer to your question.

hellbraker

If your post was deleted, then it is probably because of a good reason.

Either it was off topic (generally they do not delete such post), or you posted some irrelevant and misleading material.
I could be wrong, but those are the typical reasons why the moderators delete the posts.
Perhaps the moderator will send a PM soon.

Thanks 4 the reply..
I only asked a question.I asked it because I dint know the answer.

Peace be with you

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

Can someone tell me when uncle of Muhammad s.a.w.s., died and we all know that he died under state of non believer, what the Prophet a.s., did. How he reacted ?

When dies someone who was good toward you, never harmed you, it's your obligatory to visit his family.

"Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just." ( Al-Mumtahina - 8 )

Narrated 'Abdur Rahman bin Abi Laila: Sahl bin Hunaif and Qais bin Sad were sitting in the city of Al-Qadisiya. A funeral procession passed in front of them and they stood up. They were told that funeral procession was of one of the inhabitants of the land i.e. of a non-believer, under the protection of Muslims. They said, "A funeral procession passed in front of the Prophet and he stood up. When he was told that it was the coffin of a Jew, he said, "Is it not a living being (soul)?"

The prophet s.a.w.s, said that we can get reward/savap in all living creatures. It's statet in sahihul Bukhari Kitabullah edeb . We know how much the Prophet a.s., talked about the neighbours . Narrated by Abu Zerra r.a., :" Oce prophet a.s., told me, when you cook the food, put more wather in and give to your neighbours. " Stated in book of Imam Muslim.

It is narrated on the authority of Anas that the Prophet (may peace blessings be upon him) observed: By Him in whose Hand is my life, no, bondsman (truly) believes till he likes for his neighbour, or he (the Holy Prophet) said: for his brother, whatever he likes for himself. (Sahihul Muslim Book #001, Hadith #0073)

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: He will not enter Paradise whose neighbour is not secure from his wrongful conduct. (Book #001, Hadith #0074)

It is reported on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed: He who believes in Allah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silence; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should treat his neighbour with kindness and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest. (Book #001, Hadith #0075)

Anas b. Malik reported this hadith (with a slight variation of wording) Then AlIah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ate and the people of his house also ate. but (still) there was left a surplus, which they sent to their neighbours. (Book #023, Hadith #5063)

'A'isha reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Gabriel impressed upon me (kind treatment) towards the neighbour (so much) that I thought as if he would confer upon him the (right) of inheritance. (Book #032, Hadith #6354)

(26) Ibn Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Gabriel impressed upon me (the kind treatment) towards the neighbour (so much) that I thought as if he would soon confer upon him the (right) of inheritance. (Book #032, Hadith #6356)

From all this we see how we need to treat the neighbours , with what kindnes. Thats why it's permited to go to that family. There is ofcourse one condition. Not to interfear with something that is haram, like drinking alcohol, crying out loud and slaping in the face.. ext.,

Narrated 'Abdullah: the Prophet said, "He who slaps his cheeks, tears his clothes and follows the ways and traditions of the Days of Ignorance is not one of us."

And for those who have family members non-believers , here is interessting hadith about crying when they die, and you are muslim :

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Ubaidullah bin Abi Mulaika: One of the daughters of 'Uthman died at Mecca. We went to attend her funeral procession. Ibn 'Umar and Ibn Abbas were also present. I sat in between them (or said, I sat beside one of them. Then a man came and sat beside me.) 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said to 'Amr bin 'Uthman, "Will you not prohibit crying as Allah's Apostle has said, 'The dead person is tortured by the crying of his relatives.?" Ibn Abbas said, "Umar used to say so." Then he added narrating, "I accompanied Umar on a journey from Mecca till we reached Al-Baida. There he saw some travelers in the shade of a Samura (A kind of forest tree). He said (to me), "Go and see who those travelers are." So I went and saw that one of them was Suhaib. I told this to 'Umar who then asked me to call him. So I went back to Suhaib and said to him, "Depart and follow the chief of the faithful believers." Later, when 'Umar was stabbed, Suhaib came in weeping and saying, "O my brother, O my friend!" (on this 'Umar said to him, "O Suhaib! Are you weeping for me while the Prophet said, "The dead person is punished by some of the weeping of his relatives?" Ibn Abbas added, "When 'Umar died I told all this to Aisha and she said, 'May Allah be merciful to Umar. By Allah, Allah's Apostle did not say that a believer is punished by the weeping of his relatives. But he said, Allah increases the punishment of a non-believer because of the weeping of his relatives." Aisha further added, "The Quran is sufficient for you (to clear up this point) as Allah has stated: 'No burdened soul will bear another's burden.' " (35.18). Ibn Abbas then said, "Only Allah makes one laugh or cry." Ibn Umar did not say anything after that...

But..

no hadith stated of attending non-believers funeral .

Allah knows best !

As-salaamu `alaykum

While it is correct that no specific hadeeth on this prohibition has been mentioned, what is the isnaad of the one you mentioned, and who recorded it? Like Ibn `Abbaas use to say to people who quoted the Prophet, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, when fitnah and differing first arose in the Ummah, he would say, "Name your men". The reason I'm asking is because a hadeeth without its reference isn't of much good. It could be da`eef or even mawdoo`.

I find it strange that every other narration is, maa shaa Allaah, attached to a source, yet they don't provide an answer to this problem (it would be dangerous for anyone to use analogy (qiyaas) in this respect). And the hadeeth which is of greatest importance to the matter, doesn't have that. This is often the case when a hadeeth is weak, so please provide the source or grading of a scholar so that the doubt can be cleared, baarak Allaahu feekum. On the contrary, though note directly related, the Prophet sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam said,

“Whenever you pass by the grave of a disbeliever, give him the tidings of the Fire.”
3165 Jaami` was-Sagheer​

Further yet, the attention seems to be paid upon the rights of the neighbour, not the dead. The rights of the neighbour are tremendous, we know this, but how is it correct to make an analogy with the two? The neighbour, even if he is a disbeliever, then he has rights upon us. If he is a Muslim, he would have another right upon us (being a Muslim). And of course, if the neighbour were a relative, then again, he would have yet another right upon us! However, good treatment doesn't quite link to attending their funerals, they are two seperate scenarios, I fail to see how the rights neighbour would apply to the one who has passed away from amongst the non-Muslims, unless he were your relative (in which case we have the ahaadeeth of Abu Taalib mentioned in my last post and yours) or possibly if he were your neighbour.

Allaah knows best.

Was-salaam

Ayyub

I would advice the sister to listen to this lecture bei Sheikh Wajdi Ghoneim with english subs.
Here the Sheikh explains from a hadith that Asma bint Yazid who was from the helpers of the prophet (saw) if women are allowed to attend funerals or not.
Husband & Wife: Mutual Rights & Obligations By Dr. Sheikh Wagdi Ghoneim ~ Part 01/03 on youtube (Minute 5:30).

I would be a bit secure of how to interpret the Quran and Sunna.We should all keep in mind how Muhammed (saw) and the Sahaba (ra) interpret the verses from the Quran and the Sayings of our beloved prophet.
Quran is not there to interpret it for yourself but rather understand it like Muahmmed (saw) and his companions (RA) interpret it.

Ayyub

I would advice the sister to listen to this lecture bei Sheikh Wajdi Ghoneim with english subs.
Here the Sheikh explains from a hadith that Asma bint Yazid who was from the helpers of the prophet (saw) if women are allowed to attend funerals or not.
Husband & Wife: Mutual Rights & Obligations By Dr. Sheikh Wagdi Ghoneim ~ Part 01/03 on youtube (Minute 5:30).

I would be a bit secure of how to interpret the Quran and Sunna.We should all keep in mind how Muhammed (saw) and the Sahaba (ra) interpret the verses from the Quran and the Sayings of our beloved prophet.
Quran is not there to interpret it for yourself but rather understand it like Muhammed (saw) and his companions (RA) interpret it.

kayleigh

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

It is not permissible for the Muslim to attend the funeral of a kaafir or to enter their churches, even if that is a sign of respect etc, because attending the funeral is a way of showing love and respect, and it is not permissible to show that towards a kaafir, according to the correct view.

You can't show love and respect towards a non-believer? Sounds like a load of crap to me. I don't believe that for a second - that doesn't sound anything like Islam.

arzafar

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

You can't show love and respect towards a non-believer? Sounds like a load of crap to me. I don't believe that for a second - that doesn't sound anything like Islam.

There are loads of verse that say that. for eg.

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself”

this is in relation to showing love/liking towards the unbelievers.
respect varies with the person.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
As for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably.
Surah 60: Verse 8.

Ayyub

I don't know but was it ever narrated that Muahmmed (saw) attended the funeral of a kafir?Or one of the Sahabah (ra)?Or one of the rightous tabi3een or atba-tabe3een?

If not then it's not allowed for a muslim to attend the funeral of a kafir.Cause if it was permissible one of the sahabah (ra) or Muhammed (saw) would have done it.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
There are loads of verse that say that. for eg.

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself”

this is in relation to showing love/liking towards the unbelievers.
respect varies with the person.

I have experienced what friendship with the unbelivers can be like. I have been gossipped about, told lies about,dirty rumors have been created about me, and friends I previously had turned their backs at me and hated me for no reason. I have rarely had such treatment with Muslims, but the fatwa said that we can't show respect to kafir. I think that is wrong, Muslims should be good example to whoever we meet. Who would want to come to Islam if we can't be respectful to people outside our religion?

How about the old lady that met with the Prophet on a journey and he kept his identity hidden to her. While they were travelling the lady kept harassing the Prophet and he still helped her. Eventually when she asked who he was, he said he was Muhammed (SAW) and she made shahadah.

My point is that yes I don't think we should take unbelievers as allies in war, I don't think we should take them as strong friends but we do have to interact with them, and when we do so we should give respect so they can have the good and correct impression of Islam.