reiki and yoga halal?

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam alaikum

I think a true Muslim doesn't require these........why?
because a true Muslim is in the state of fullfilment,calm and cool is the another part of his character,anger cant grasp him.....
though todays chaos and clumsy environment might demand these,but i personally dont think so...that muslims need so.
Did the Prophet SAWS do so? or the Sahaba (may Allah be pleased with them all) did so?
yet it is permissible, if there is no such state or condition,where you forget your Lord.
I know some like these: Quantum Method or Monojogt(mind state)...they have some sayings and some state where ppl get involved with Shirk like thikngs and they jsut forget everything......including the Lord,Allah SWT.

May Allah guide us and bless us with His mercy and peace breeze
Jazakallahu Khair
Barakallahu Feeke
wassalam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Don't know about Reiki and Yoga as Ibn Uthaymin mentioned its banned in Malaysia for Muslims as they chant some Hindu religious words.

arzafar

kindly give me a fatwa from gud scholars.
actually i think both are haram but i need a fatwa (with evidence) from a reputable scholar.

krackpot

slave warrior caged
wa alaikum as salaam brother...

why do you want reiki and yoga and bla bla when you are awarded with SALAT????
would you accept BHAGWATH GEETHA or THE BUDDDHIST CHANTS AND HYMNS????

i dont think so........ GOD FORBID SUCH THOUGHTS AND ACTS

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

It became a hot topic regarding yoga some time ago here in Malaysia. The National Fatwa Organization (Majlis Fatwa Kebangsaan) of Malaysia came up after having a muzakarah (discussions among the mufti) that it is considered haraam to practice yoga when there is also an imitation of the hindu yoga where they uttered words (mantera) that indicates worship to their God. Yoga was said to originated from the Hindu, therefore during practising yoga, it is most likely that one will also imitate the yoga of the Hindus.

It has been discussed that such practice (yoga that imitates the Hindu) is considered as haraam as it is feared to cause waver in the aqeedah of the Muslims. However, if the practice of yoga doesnt include musics or words that imitates with the Hindu yoga, then it is fine. But we are asked to be aware of what kind of yoga one's is practising.

You can still check the website of the National Fatwa Organization for the fatwa of yoga: http://www.e-fatwa.gov.my/

EDITTED: I found the translation of the fatwa in English.

MUSLIM’S ATTITUDE TOWARDS YOGA

The Fatwas of Religious Council in Islamic affairs which took place on 22-24, 2008 in Kota Bharu Kelantan included Yoga cases in their agenda. After carefully studied various reports and factual data, the Council unanimously agreed that this ancient India religious teachings, which involves physical and mental exercises, are Hinduism in nature known as wahdat al-wujud philosophy (oneness of existence; the realization of identity between the Self in man, Atman; and the Divine, BRAHMAN: ‘Brahman is all, and Atman is Brahman). It is prohibited (haram) for Muslims to practice it.

The Council unanimously agreed that whatever actions or conceptions imitate the Yoga’s teachings such as to practice the asana yoga or self annihilation (nirvana) is against the Islamic faith. Any physical activities which apparently not Hinduism in nature, are not included in these Fatwas. Anyway, Muslims have to be fully aware in order their religious faith and practices not to be jeopardized. One has to be conscious that one of these three elements can effect Muslim’s faith:

1.Believe in heart;
2.Verbal confessions; and
3.Actions

In view these elements contained in the teachings of yoga, Muslims are advised not to be involved into them so as their faith is not eroded.

The end

http://www.islam.gov.my/portal/yoga_Bi.php

Indeed, Allaah knows best in every matter.

Wassalam.

Valerie

This is somewhat on topic... Why do scholars (from many different countries) say "don't do this or don't do that" ... basically giving their opinion (yes, educated, but opinion)? What is the problem if you do Yoga and ... recite the Qur'an? I know that I've read that we can't just make things up as we go along, but isn't that what scholars are doing?

I went for a walk the other day and I whispered to myself some stuff I've learned here (in arabic, like part of the words from salat). So is that wrong?

I don't mean to be rude at all, really.. And no disrespect to scholars. I just have wondered about this for a while, and if I keep stuff like this inside my head, it'll drive me crazy :) It's better to ask a question and get an answer I may not like than to keep the answer to myself and have it drive me away from Islam.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullah Sister Valerie,

Im not sure if the post were meant for me or generally, however let me quote you of what I wrote again as an answer to your question:

However, if the practice of yoga doesnt include musics or words that imitates with the Hindu yoga, then it is fine. But we are asked to be aware of what kind of yoga one's is practising.

I do believe that if yoga serves as a kind of therapy to you which helps you to keep yourself healthy (besides praying which of course is the best therapy for the soul and body), then there is no wrong to practice yoga, so long that it doesnt imitates any of the kuffar.

The fatwa was announced officially because it seems that many people here practices yoga, but unfortunately blindly following the yoga originated from the Hindu. Thats why it became haraam upon the Muslims. However, as I have mentioned, if it doesnt contain any acts or words of worshipping to God (like the Hindus) that might be a form of shirk, then it is fine.

Allaah knows best.

Wassalam.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
This is somewhat on topic... Why do scholars (from many different countries) say "don't do this or don't do that" ... basically giving their opinion (yes, educated, but opinion)? What is the problem if you do Yoga and ... recite the Qur'an? I know that I've read that we can't just make things up as we go along, but isn't that what scholars are doing?

Salaamalaykum,

The scholars usually don't pass fatwas on whims or fancies (that's how it is supposed to be). However, the reason why they are referred to is because they have more knowledge in the deen and Usool ul fiqh from which they can deduce rulings. Their ruling usually do carry substantial evidence on which they have based their ruling.

In order to develop more appreciation for the scholars, you would need to read and study about Usool ul Fiqh. It is very fascinating. :)

Also, You don't want to have common folk like me passing judgements on what is permissible and non-permissible, based on my limited knowledge and at times erroneous interpretation of it.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

krackpot

slave warrior caged
As salaamu alaikum my dear brothers and sisters.....

isnt slaat the best therapy given to us by allah??? we should be different from the kuffaar as our PROPHET MUHAMMED S.A.W has commanded us to.... why do we follow some1 else's tradition????? the yogis are hypocrites...

sal12

I used to do yoga last year and it felt really good. I did it for my back pains and its good for your hips as well. There was a lot of spirtual things to it which I would completely ignore e.g at the end they would put their hands together and recite something. I chose not to do that so I just sat there until they finished. I decided not to recite any Quran or think about Allah during that time either for the reason being that it's like worshipping Allah in the hindu way by meditation so I would rather just sit there and do nothing until they would finish. It's common sense, if it's good for me physically and doesn't influence me and I don't practice the spiritual side of things then where is the harm?

kayleigh

Don't know, but yoga is awesome. It's worked wonders for my back pain. Don't see why it would be haram, either, if you aren't incorporating the religious aspect of it into your routine. Nothing wrong with exercise and self awareness.

I can see why reiki might be haram though, if it is.

:salam2: I dont know about raiki but i would say it goes against islamic teaching. But yoga as an exercise is great cause you can do it alone. And who said you have to play anying say anying. Just do the movement period.

Ashima33

Salaam,

Ok not to sound rude, but if you don't know about something... How can you say it's haram? I also get really frustrated with how we just throw around the term haram. This is haram.... that is haram.

I practiced massage therapy for 6 years. I learned about Reiki and I have seen it being practiced. It is not tied to any specific religion, it is purely energy work. And whether you all like it or not we all have an energy field surrounding us. It's just science. You can sense people's energy by just being in the room with them without even talking to them. You sense it through body language, and sometimes you can physically feel it. If you're in a court room, the energy is typically very tense. I have talked to many people who have been on Hajj and they talk about the immense about of positive energy flowing everywhere. Depending on our situation or mood, in each of us we carry different levels of energy and reiki is used to stabilize this. Have you ever been around a dear good friend who made you feel at peace when you hug them or just sit and chat? Guess what? This is a form of Reiki. The more typical form of reiki some may think of is when people transfer positive energy by place hands on or over a person. There are people who study this for their whole lives and practice this as their profession. No matter your religion, it remains controversial because it's not something that can be "seen." Here's a link:

http://www.reiki.org/FAQ/WhatIsReiki.html

Also, I saw a couple comments stating that salat is the best form of therapy, which I totally agree. And yoga is also incorporated into our salat because of sujood. It is also the yoga pose called "Child pose." It's supposed to be one of the most humbling, grounding, and centering poses. And I believe that's why it makes some much sense that it's a part of our prayer. We are being humbled before Allah.

And yoga works wonders, whether you want to add your religious element to it or not.... It is great for your body physically. I have scoliosis and it's been one of the only exercises I have achieved such strength and relief from. Something like this couldn't be haram. It's all about your intention.

arzafar

hm so
yoga minus chanting = exercise, stretches, posture => halal

but what about reki; you need to say some words to make the heat flow into your hands.

I know both yoga and reki work, question was whether they are halal.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
hm so
yoga minus chanting = exercise, stretches, posture => halal

but what about reki; you need to say some words to make the heat flow into your hands.

I know both yoga and reki work, question was whether they are halal.

@ bold: This is what I was thinking.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
brother arzafar I think Reiki is a form of shirk because it are used symbols and objects while practising it.I know what reiki is because my parents took the master in reiki(my mum above all has a document that testify that she can practise reiki to other people.technically talking,is a chinese term that briefly means:universal energy,and it can be moved from the space to the master's hands........:SMILY153:
I grew up in a multifaces family,but reiki is ignorance by myself,because I think that only Allah subhana huwa ta'ala can give a good health to His creatures.It's Haram,by myself and it's a wasting of time:SMILY259:

arzafar

:salam2:
brother arzafar I think Reiki is a form of shirk because it are used symbols and objects while practising it.I know what reiki is because my parents took the master in reiki(my mum above all has a document that testify that she can practise reiki to other people.technically talking,is a chinese term that briefly means:universal energy,and it can be moved from the space to the master's hands........:SMILY153:
I grew up in a multifaces family,but reiki is ignorance by myself,because I think that only Allah subhana huwa ta'ala can give a good health to His creatures.It's Haram,by myself and it's a wasting of time:SMILY259:

yes that's what i was saying. However, those who have done reki say that there is nothing unislamic in it. so now i need a fatwa to close this case.

as far as yoga chants/mantra are concerned
http://www.yogaholidays.net/magazine/mantras.htm

it's scary that all of them involve showing reverence to hindu gods