Segregation of sexes are springing up in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Last Saturday, five women took off their shoes and walked across the padded carpet at the Dar al-Hijrah mosque, one of the Washington region's largest Islamic centers.

For weeks, they had planned for this moment, to stand behind the men in the main prayer hall of the Falls Church mosque as an act of protest. Usually, women at the mosque pray in segregated spaces away from the men, but these women, who came from outside the Dar al-Hijrah community, wanted to make a point.

It was the third time this year that the women had staged a protest at a Washington area mosque, and, as before, the conflict began almost immediately. By the end, angry words would be exchanged, the police called.

Such "pray-in" protests have sprung up in Muslim communities across the country in the past decade as women's rights advocates and feminist Muslims have agitated for more shared spaces in mosques. One of the women at the Dar Al-Hijrah event, author Asra Nomani, was even featured in a 2009 film documenting her protest at a mosque in Morgantown, W.Va.

The activists have compared their efforts to the civil rights struggle of the 1960s, but those who oppose them say the issue is not that simple. At mosques where such protests have taken place, for example, the longtime female attendees often are happy with the arrangement because praying in a segregated space allows them privacy and modesty. It is only protesters barging in from outside their communities who clamor for change, they say. The goal of protesters has also changed from city to city, with some trying to pray behind the men in the prayer hall, others wanting to pray side-by-side.

Such nuances were lost at Dar al-Hijrah as the clash between the protesters and the mosque's leaders eventually devolved into a heated argument.

When the women entered for the 5:10 p.m. prayer, scores of men were already lined up in long rows beneath a domed skylight facing Imam Shaker Elsayed, the leader of the Fairfax County mosque. The mosque's regular attendees told the women that they belonged upstairs on the balcony, behind a glass barrier, where women usually pray.

But Elsayed, recognizing the women from a community debate weeks earlier, instructed the men to stand down. "We have a group of sisters who want to make a point," he said. Elsayed welcomed the women to remain but asked them to stand at the very back of the room. He believes it is immodest for women to prostrate themselves before Allah in full view of men standing or walking behind them.

But protester Fatima Thompson challenged Elsayed. "Your interpretation of that Sunnah is incorrect," she called out, referring to a guide to Islamic practice. The two continued sparring over sacred texts until Elsayed pulled back. "This is no time for argumentation. Let us go for the prayer," he told the room, but added this declaration: "This is your last visit to this place, Fatima. This is your last visit to this place." He later worked with police on paperwork to ban their return.

Ashima33

I think it's just fine for men and women to pray in the same room with men in front and women in back. While praying at the Kabbah men and women are side by side, right? I know this is because SOOO many people are present. But I feel if it were such a big deal... I would think that something would be done at the Kabbah to make more of a distinction between the placement of men and women.

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

1) The people who claim to be Muslims need to respect the Gheerah (Jealousy or sense of Honor) of Allah (The Glorified and Exalted). Some rules He made concerning women involves His Gheerah over His female slaves. Just as humans have preferences and things they like or dislike, so does Allah (The Exalted), and because He is the Lord and Owner, His preference comes first.

2) Prayer for women at the masjid is not mandatory and is in fact discouraged except during the two Eids and making Hajj to the Kabah.

3) Women pray behind the last row of men. In modern times, it is acceptable to have the genders separated into different rooms, if more room is needed for all the males. But, the purpose is usually to keep modesty in the place of worship, as the younger girls have a tendency of staring at the younger men in the mens' section. This is understandable because of human emotions and feelings.

4) Those men that pray alongside women or women in front of men, are all ignorant and their prayers are invalid. Do not look at the so-called Muslims from the developing countries whose idea of Islam is filled with lack of a proper formal religious education and mostly superstition and other nonsense such as praying to dead "saints" as intermediaries between themselves and Allah (The Exalted). What do you expect from nations whose peoples are not given an adequate education. Whoever follows the steps of the "common man" is sure to become misguided and lose in the Hereafter. Those men and women that pray alongside each other or women in front at the Kabah, are in error. It is not the job of the Saudis to tell over one million old people how to practice their religion, if these people did not figure it out at their old age. Although it would have been better if they advertised loudly to the women to go to the female sections of the Grand Masjid at the Kabah, at the end, each person must use his or her own brain and segregate themselves in order to have their prayers valid. Why does anyone spend so much time and money going to the Hajj and then forget the rules for making prayers properly?

5) These delusional women who instigate problems in the place of worship have the audacity to think that their position in the Muslim Ummah is greater than the Mother of the Believers, Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her). She was a respected scholar, but never led the Jumaah (Friday congregational prayers). She even taught other men the religion from behind a walled veil, and they lead prayers, but she would never because of the Gheerah of Allah (The Exalted). In one account, even within her home, she had asked a young servant boy to lead her in prayer during Taraweeh in Ramadan and that boy recited by holding the Qur'an in his hands! She preferred him to lead, because he was male, although she was Hafiz (had memorized the entire Qur'an) and knew its meanings well.

And Allah (The Glorified) Knows Best.

kayleigh

I think women should definitely be allowed to pray in the same room if they want to, as long as they're behind the men. It was done that way for a long, long time. Now we have people thinking it's okay to put women in a small room where they are unable to hear or see anything, or banning them entirely. Just because Friday prayer is obligatory for men doesn't mean the masjid isn't equally as important for women.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahamatullahi Wabarakaathuh Ya Ayyuhal Ikhwati wal Akhawaat.

I admire those decent Muttaqeen brothers and sisters out there who are against this stupid nonsense. Those "sisters" should feel ashamed that they are crying like 3 yr old babies (with a wet diaper) over THIS most PATHETIC thing to argue and fight about! :mad:

Subhanallah! There are SO many things that these modern and "moderate" "brothers and sisters" could be wailing about, but NO! They choose to care about the STUPIDEST THINGS these days! Subhanallah! :mad: (and please excuse me for the way I said this)

Our sisters are being attacked these days, RAPED, and oppressed! And all that these "moderate" (and Thawgut loving MuZLims) can do is curse the Pious Shuyukh, speak against the Mujahideen, and bring BID'AAH (innovations) into our Deen! :mad:

And I hope no body gets me wrong here, I'm not a "funddymentalist" I anything, and Wallahi, I PROMISE by Allah (SWT) that I support women's rights and tolerance WAY MORE than the ENTIRE USA and tdhe WEST, but what I DON'T support or condone is PEOPLE and especially MUZLIMS attacking and distorting the HAQQ! Which is the HUKUM (Wisdom) of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla.

And THAT is what we Muslims must do these days. If abide by the Law of Allah (SWT), Jalla Jalaaluh; and adopt the ways of the Anbiyya (Aleyheemi Swalatu Wassalam), and our Pious Forefathers and Foremothers (as Salaf as Saliheen, Radhiyallahu Anhum), only THEN will we be successful, and THEN the Deen will be Victorious and it will Dominate throughout the world.

Wa Alhamdulillahi Rabbil Alameen, Wa Sal Allahu Ali Nabiyinaa wa Ala Alihi wa Sahbihi Ajma'een. Ameen.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
I think it's just fine for men and women to pray in the same room with men in front and women in back. While praying at the Kabbah men and women are side by side, right? I know this is because SOOO many people are present. But I feel if it were such a big deal... I would think that something would be done at the Kabbah to make more of a distinction between the placement of men and women.
Assalamu Aleyki Warahmatullahi Wabarakaath sister Ashima.

You have a point sister, it probably is better if the males and females were seperated in al Ka'bah (and as far as I know, it usually is), but Alhamdulillah, one thing that makes al Kabah differant from the regular masjids is that when the Muslims are in Masjidaynul Haramayn (The Two Sacred Masajid), there Taqwa and Iman reaches to such a point that Fitnah cannot exist in those places between the men and the women, Wa Alhamdulillah. :)

And again, I'm not against what you're saying, to tell you the truth, your concern is very good Alhamdulillah, but I just thought it'd be good if I tipped you in about al Ka'bah (meaning that I might teach you a few good useful things about it), and Inshallah Ta Alla, you'll know what I mean when you go on Umrah/Hajj (Inshallah Ta Alla). :)

Anway, I hope that this post benefitted you sister Ashima, Wassalamu Aleykunna Warahmatulallahi Wabarakaathuh.

Wa Alhamdulillahi Rabbil Alameen.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I think women should definitely be allowed to pray in the same room if they want to, as long as they're behind the men. It was done that way for a long, long time. Now we have people thinking it's okay to put women in a small room where they are unable to hear or see anything, or banning them entirely. Just because Friday prayer is obligatory for men doesn't mean the masjid isn't equally as important for women.

I dont like the idea of being isolated in a room.

Behind a barrier - fine.
Behind men - fine.

Anyway, I dont see why some Muslim women are so offended by being behind a man...I dont want to bend over and have some man lookin at my booty :astag:

Valerie

I think I'm just surprised that women have no right to state their opinions at all, even if it's not with the majority. If they do, they're banned. I've seen a lot of different priorities here. It's "wonderful" if a country bans facebook, but it is something to rant about if a woman wants to pray with the men. I just get the impression that women aren't in any way shape or form equal to men, and by that I mean worthy of equal respect and treated as a fellow human being, the other half of the human race.

I wouldn't want to pray in front of men, but if men can't control themselves when women are praying in the same area, or if a woman uncovers her hair... Who is at fault? There's no excuse that can put the blame on a woman.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I'm not giving up just yet, but I am wondering if I should have spent more time reading these major issues regarding women before I converted.

I really don't mean to be disrespectful but I'm bothered to the point of being upset here. I apologize if I offend anyone.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I think I'm just surprised that women have no right to state their opinions at all, even if it's not with the majority. If they do, they're banned. I've seen a lot of different priorities here. It's "wonderful" if a country bans facebook, but it is something to rant about if a woman wants to pray with the men. I just get the impression that women aren't in any way shape or form equal to men, and by that I mean worthy of equal respect and treated as a fellow human being, the other half of the human race.

I wouldn't want to pray in front of men, but if men can't control themselves when women are praying in the same area, or if a woman uncovers her hair... Who is at fault? There's no excuse that can put the blame on a woman.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I'm not giving up just yet, but I am wondering if I should have spent more time reading these major issues regarding women before I converted.

I really don't mean to be disrespectful but I'm bothered to the point of being upset here. I apologize if I offend anyone.

Hrrm...probably so.

I was a bit iffy about certain things before i converted, but Alhamdulilah I met this friend on the internet who wants to be a Scholar. And if i had a concern, all he needed was 1 day, then he would send me a very detailed email on why it is the way it is, with hadith & Qur'anic quotes. And they always made sense to me.

I do feel Islam is the most perfect religion, because when point A stops, point B begins.

For example, one thing I was very bothered about was that if a father died, his son got more money than his daughter. I found this unfair. Then i learned about the role of men & women in finance, and how a man is supposed to support his family, and if a woman has money, its hers to spend on whatever she pleases.

This being said, the son will most likely have a larger financial burden than his sister. He has to pay his future wife a Dawah, and he has to pay his wife's way through life.

IF i am incorrect, someone can correct me. But I trust the source of my information.

Not to say, there aren't women who are Muslims that do things like the girls in the first post...But things are the way they are in Islam, for a reason. This being said, men have to lower their gaze as well! They cant just be looking at girls as if we're meat! From what I have seen, they are scrutinized just as much as women from Scholars and such.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge

Assalamu Aleyki Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh sister Valerie.

The reason why a great importance is made upon segregation between the male and female worshippers (inside the masjid) is so that the hearts of the Muslimeen will remain PURE from any kind of evil thoughts, feelings, or desires.

Personally, I think that it's better for the sisters to be seperated from the brothers (whether with a space or in another room), because it's more pure.

Sister Valerie, I'm a brother, and a male, and I'll tell you the things that you probably don't know.

Males are more prone to getting sexually excited when a female is around them, whether they try to get excited or not, sometimes if a brother even SEES a sister dressing modestly, then his hormones will rise, and why? Because that's NATURAL, and it is not his fault.

And so when a brother is trying to worship and obey Allah (SWT), one of the GREATEST ways that the Shaytan try to distract him is by his sexual hormones that he naturally feels around females.

So if a brother is walking on the street, or surfing online, and he happens to see a decent and modest sister (with or without Niqab), then it won't effect his feelings (not so much).

BUT when a brother is in the House of Allah (SWT), and he sees ANY Muslim sisters, then the Fitnah and Evil Thoughts/Feelings from the Nafs is MUCH more stronger at that time, because the Shaytan are trying to make him stray off the right path.

So for example, if a brother happens to see a sister in the Masjid, then throughout his Salat, he will hear whispers like, "aw, isn't she so BEAUTIFUL?" and not ONLY during his Salat, but they will CONTINUE to nagg him about that sister that he saw at the Masjid, for days and WEEKS, until he can't take the pressure anymore and finally, he ends up commiting a sin or thinking evil.

To AVOID all of this, THAT is why modesty has been made in our Deen by Allah (SWT)'s Supreme Wisdom. And just think about the situation like this.

As a brother walks by on the street, he notices a very beautiful gem at the jewelry store. Now this jewel is REALLY beautiful by it's own nature (to whatever extent), delicate, and rare (and not bootlegged/fake).

Now, this brother admires the beauty and the way this jewel is, and he wishes he can have this rare jewel, and he wishes that this jewel can be his. But unfortunately, he can't afford to have this jewel, and so days and days pass by, his heart is overcome with sadness as he thinks about this jewel that he always wishes that he can enjoy to have with him, and which is on his mind day after day.

And so finally, he can either continue to stay sad and upset, or he can commit a crime to have this jewel.

Now, imagine that the jewel is a Muslimah (and people have that natural love/desire towards the opposite gender). Is it fair that a brother is to be tormented by the Shayateen because of his natural desire for the opposite gender? And TRUST me sister, I am a TEENAGER, and Wallahi, the Shayateen whisper the STUPIDEST things to Baligh males (males who have fully went thru puberty) JUST SO that they (the brothers) can fall into commiting immoralities, from Zina to gayness.

And so basically, it's more easier that males and females to be seperated inside the Masjids to AVOID ANY kind of evil thoughts/feelings towards the opposite gender.

And I hope that I can help clear any doubts that you might have sister Valerie, because I'm your brother, and I'll try to help my family out Inshallah Ta Alla.

Assalamu Aleykum

ovomer

salam from pakistan!

yes, sister, this is your right to get as much knowledge as you can on this topic. and i am sure you will find the truth at last, the truth which our last prophet has told us about this matter. thanks

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

It's quite late on my part of the world, so I'm not going to draw out this reply. But I seriously think this issue is a non-issue.

In fact I find it pathetic that it's even newsworthy and is even gaining attention. I ask that you please bear with me sister Valerie why I explain why I think this way. Because I want to say firstly and at the forefront that I fully, and I mean completely support women educating themselves. That I love when women are independent and put themselves out there to better their communities, support their families, encourage growth and understanding, join the hearts together, create Islaam as it should be with love and warmth.

This is not what these sisters are doing. For most I will say it's like a power trip astagfirullah. I've seen documentaries on this, and from the depths of my heart despise it. The Imaam restricting these women from the masjid? I think it was his full right to do so. It's not at this point about respect ... because that's not what these women are giving.

What about the respect of Allaah? About the laws of Allaah? Respecting the masajid of Allaah? The very house in which the worship of Allaah is taking place?! Wallah it brings me to tears how these women sit around dissenting and arguing how they are being put in a lower position and degraded simply because they have to pray separately from the men!! La hawla wa la quwwata illla billah... how shallow and vain.

Do we not have greater problems? If you see how these women talk subhanAllaah ... it is never with backing from the Qur'aan, no backing from the Sunnah. These are our guidelines, our principles and morals. How can you prance into the masaajid of Allaah demanding rights which you claim you have without giving evidence? Our Islaam is not based on desires, it is not based on what the society procures as equality and justice.

Now the only evidence they DO give ever was - During the time of the Prophet the women would pray directly behind the men with no barrier.

That is true. Now, as a knowledgeable person once said - the women who are saying this, are they like the women of the Sahabiyaat? Are they like the women of the Ansaar? He gave a beautiful reply which I truly believe in where he says that there is absolutely no problem with men and women praying in the same area, using the evidence of what happened during the time of the Prophet 'alayhi salaatu was salaam -- If the women of the land, the community are similar to the women of his time. If they have the similar understanding, taqwa, and adaab of the masaajid as those women, then by all means it is fine and good.

Now we have to question - is this how these women are? Is this how our women are? So many women I have personally seen, who find no qualms without a barrier to be loud, raise voices, giggle, talk to men without lowering the gaze at all etc... all of which attracts attention in an area dedicated to Salaah. I just don't see it that these women who don't have any clue about proper etiquette that they demand such rights. Allaah knows best.

Of course I dont at the same time advocate closets or some strange dislocated place for women, but I do think they should have designated clean and clear places where they will be able to freely worship (on both ends) without fear of being a distraction or being attracted by one.

In Makkah and certain other places, of course this is the way things have always been, and we trust that even in those cases the intention of the people are for a greater cause, and what cannot always be prevented has to be dealt with in the manner possible. There are areas for women and areas for men, but during times of Hajj sometimes maintaining that becomes difficult, but we cannot use that as an excuse for all situations and justify it as a universal rule.

That being said I think this thread should be closed simply because of the fact attention should not be given to these women who for many times have no idea about Tawheed, about Fiqh, about so many of the fundamentals of Islaam, but go on spouting desires of unfounded equality. Face it. Men and Women are Not Equal. Excuse the frankness but this is just so flawed, mentally, physically, physiologically - every way we are different scientifically, so whey on certain bases is it okay to judge by a constantly altering social ruler and say this is being biased against women, this is disrespecting females.

In fact, many times trying to conform to it, women disrespect themselves. Allaah has given us beauty, protection, honor, modesty, these are all our covers and protection. We then shred it away and feel the need to parade in front of others why? Islaam has been made Just to us women, and we feel the need to then place other morals against it why? Allaah knows best.

And disputing at the masjid? I do not honestly believe it is a men/women thing. We have to keep peace in the masjid. Imagine these women coming day after day wanting to pray right upside the men?! There would be chaos. The house of Allaah, for HIS worship is NEVER the place for such things. Even in the time of the Messenger of Allaah 'alayhi salaatu wa salaam there were always certain rules set for the masjid, and the Companions would abide by them an adjure the followers too as well, with consequences if they did not comply. So to keep the sanctity of the Masjid, I think it was a good move on the part of the Imaam, since the women obviously even when were allowed to pray behind the men decidedly wanted to continue arguing and debating uselessly.

Again Allaah knows best, and surely any mistakes in all of this belong solely to me, but it is really how I see the matter. It's way too late however, so please forgive me if I have offended anyone in this quite... well emotive outburst I suppose.

BarakAllaahu feekum

wasalam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

I agree with what sister Samiha has elaborately explained. BarakAllahu Feeki.

The segregation is done not because the female sex is to be looked down upon or because they dont deserve to pray alongside men. These are feminist-centered rhetoric who are often known to blow things out of proportion.

The organization of prayer in the masjid in the way it's done is in order to avoid fitnah and it is the rule of Allah azz zawajal. The women praying in a seperate room is something good, it gives them more freedom to be at ease.

Also, it alleviates the burden to a certain extent on men to constantly lower their gaze. It is better for the women as well, as they wouldn't have to be preoccupied if man are staring at them.

We also need to be reasonable people as muslims. As the sister mentioned, we are not living in the times of our pious predecessors where women were utmost modest and the men unfailingly would lower their gaze and have much fear of Allah azz zawajal.

In our modern times, there are movements for 'reform' or going against the 'old guard (system)'. We are in no need of such things and as muslims, we are pleased with our religion.We shouldn't preoccupy ourselves with such issues and create a hue and cry about them.

Lastly, I would like to state that the men in the community should also look after the needs of the women at the Islamic Centre or Masjid. There area should be properly air conditioned, kept clean and have proper audio system so that our sisters can hear properly during prayer.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Asslamua llaicum Wa rahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

May Allah reword you dear brother for sharing with us so importante news about event that happend in one of the mosque in US.It has made me really worry and sad, because mosque should be place of worshiping to Allah subahn we teala, which bring peace to Muslims, and it should not be place where it should be fight among Muslims.

We as Muslims, in everything that we do, we need to find more pure way, to clean our hearts more and keep them like that for Allah, but SubhanAllah, that will be more difficult if there is no segregation between man and women in masjid. Alhamdulillah, it is cleaner for their hearts to pray in seperated rooms, it is good for both women,and man.And also Muslims are doing other usefull things in mosque like reading, reciting Quran, and for that reason too it should be avoid mixing of man and women in one room, to avoid fitnah.

It has been narrated from Sahl ibn Sa`d's "I saw men having tied the ends of their lower garments around their necks, like children, due to shortage of cloth [because of poverty] and offering their prayers behind Allah's Messenger, Peace be upon him. One of the proclaimers said: O womenfolk, do not lift your heads [from prostration] until men raise theirs [and readjust their garments]." (Muslim,883).

This shows that the women prayed behind the men, else there would have been no sense in specifically prohibiting them from raising their heads first. But if think well, in the time of our Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s., all women were wearing niqabs( covering thier face and bodies), so with this it was less fitnah for man at that time, while today it is diffrent situacion.

It has been narrated from Abu Hurayra that Allah's Messenger said: "The best rows for men are the first rows and the worst, the last rows; and the best rows for women are the last rows and the worst, the first." (Muslim 881)

This haadith shows that women were not praying in separated rooms in the time of Prophet s.a.w.s, but it is said that the best rows in prayer for women are those in the last line, because they are far away from man, than the women on first rows. This ofcourse does not include praying in seperated rooms. Because of all this Muslims should find more easy and better way for the sake of Allah, and in all good we must find to the best Inshallah. Also the mosques should provide sisters good enovorement where they pray, if they are in posibilities.

May Allah help us all, and make that we do everything for Allah and His pleasure on both worlds,and may Allah make our hearts clean so that we can be more closer to Him, ameen summa ameen.

:wasalam:

hana*

okay i havent read everyone's response but Abdul Hasibs response was amazing! really, Allah does not command anything in Islam but that it is for our best and for our protection. whilst complete segregation in salah is not a must, what Abdul Hasib mentioned is very effective- do we really want shaytan distracting us during salah? shaytan is highly cunning and knows our weaknesses, casting doubts in our mind...

there is so much fitnah around that i dont see how its a major issue if we prayed in another room or behind a barrier- it in no way diminishes our rights as women.

i think there are more important issues that require greater attention.

besmiralalbani

Think for yourself
salam alaykum

Ruling on women going to the masjid (mosque)
Here in my country (Surinam, South America), the Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa‘ah forbid women to go to the mosque, saying that the first Imaam (Imaam Abu Haneefah) learned to do what pleases the Holy Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him), and he had said once that it is better for the women to perform prayer at home, because there is more sawaab (reward) in that, and as we come here to earn sawaab, it is better to do this.

Is it right to forbid women to go to the mosque? If so, where in the Holy Qur’aan or the ahaadeeth can I find this?

Praise be to Allah.

There is no doubt that a woman’s prayer in her house is better for her than praying in the mosque, as is indicated by the Sunnah of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him). He said: "Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque, even though their houses are better for them." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid: Baab al-tashdeed fee dhaalik. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7458).

Whenever a woman prays in a place that is more private and more hidden, that is better for her, as the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: "A woman’s prayer in her house is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her bedroom is better than her prayer in her house." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 3833).

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy)).

But the fact that praying at home is preferable does not mean that that women are not permitted to go to the mosque, as is clear from the following hadeeth:
From ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace be upon him) say: ‘Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.’" Bilaal ibn ‘Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn ‘Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, and you say ‘By Allaah, we will prevent them’!!" (reported by Muslim, 667).

But there are conditions attached to the permission for women to go to the mosque, as follows:
(1) She should wear complete hijaab.
(2) She should not go out wearing perfume.
(3) She should have the permission of her husband.

Her going out should not involve any other kind of prohibited acts, such as being alone in a car with a non-mahram driver. If a woman does something wrong like that, her husband or guardian has the right to stop her; in fact it is his duty to do so. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Now I ask to all of us, we see a lot of fitnah outside the Masjid, we are in contact with non mahrams, because western world is buided in this way, we find difficulties with ourself regaring fitnah, regarding Emaan, regarding wordly affairs… and a lot of other things… so why would we complicate our situation by being in the same place during the prayer!!!!!!!!!
Why do you thing you are separated!!! Is this a descrimination?!
Male too are separated… not only woman, you are in another room we are in another room… and the masjid is used for:
Making salat, making Dhikr and reading the Qur’aan.
That's why we go to the masjid. We don't go there to discuss whether male and female shoul be together in the same room. We want to take rewards in the mosque, we want to pray Allah, we ask: help, guidance, sustainance, strengthening of the Emaan, we ask Him to make this way easier for us and not to go astray.

Conditions of women going out to the mosque

Is it permissible for women to go and pray tahajjud in the mosque without a mahram when the mosque is next to the house and the men in the family do not do this prayer?

Praise be to Allaah.
It is permissible for women to go to the mosque and pray, subject to certain conditions. It is not one of these conditions that she should be accompanied by a mahram, so there is nothing wrong with her going to the mosque to pray without a mahram.
It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 7/332:
It is permissible for a Muslim woman to pray in the mosque and her husband does not have the right to stop her if she asks him for permission to do that, so long as she is properly covered and no part of her body is showing that it is forbidden for “strangers” (non mahrams) to see. It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “When your womenfolk ask you for permission to go to the mosque, give them permission.” According to another version, “Do not forbid women their share of the mosques if they ask you for permission.” Bilaal – a son of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar – said, “By Allaah, we will stop them.” ‘Abd-Allaah said to him, “I say ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said…’ and you say, ‘We will stop them’?!” Both reports were narrated by Muslim.

If the woman is uncovered and any part of her body is showing that it is forbidden for “strangers” (non mahrams) to see, or she is wearing perfume, then it is not permissible for her to go out of her house in this state, let alone go out to the mosque and pray there, because of the fitnah (temptation) involved. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands…”
[al-Noor 24:31]
“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

Zaynab al-Thaqafiyyah used to narrate that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you (women) attends ‘Isha’ prayer, let her not put on perfume that night.” According to another report, “If any one of you (women) attends the mosque, let her not put on perfume that night.” Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh.

It was proven in saheeh ahaadeeth that the women of the Sahaabah used to attend Fajr prayer in congregation, covering their faces, so that no one would recognize them. It was proven that ‘Amrah bint ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: I heard ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), say: “If the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had seen the way the women are behaving, he would have forbidden them to go to the mosque as the women of the Children of Israel were forbidden.” It was said to ‘Amrah: Were the women of the Children of Israel forbidden to go to the mosque? She said: Yes.
Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh.

These texts clearly indicate that if the Muslim woman adheres to proper Islamic etiquette in her dress and avoids adorning herself in ways that will provoke fitnah and affect those of weak faith, there is no reason why she should not pray in the mosque. If she appears in such a way that evil people and those in whose heart is a disease will be tempted by her, then she is not allowed to enter the mosque, rather she is not allowed to leave her home and attend the mosque.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 14/211:
There is nothing wrong with women attending taraaweeh prayers if there is no danger of fitnah, subject to the condition that they go out looking decent and not wearing adornments, make-up or perfume.

In his book Hiraasat al-Fadeelah (p. 86), Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd listed the conditions for women to go out to the mosque. He said:
Women are allowed to go out to the mosque according to the following rulings:
1- That there is no risk of them tempting others or being tempted
2- That their attendance will not lead to anything that is forbidden according to sharee’ah
3- That they do not jostle with men in the street or in the mosque
4- That they should go out not wearing perfume
5- That they should go out wearing hijab, not making a wanton display of their adornment
6- A door should be set aside in the mosque just for women to enter and exit, as mentioned in the hadeeth narrated in Sunan Abi Dawood and elsewhere.
7- The women’s rows should be behind the men
8- The best rows for women are those at the back, unlike the case for men
9- If the imam makes any mistake in his prayer, men should say “Subhan Allaah!” and women should clap
10-The women should leave the mosque before the men, and the men should wait until the women have dispersed to their homes, as mentioned in the hadeeth of Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and elsewhere.

Islam Q&A

This are the conditionsthat I founded on Islam q&a, question:
Do woman/man dress in the way they must dress to enter into the masjid?
Do woman/man know this rules?
Do woman/man think that there will be no mix with man into the masjid?
Do woman/man know what is better for them in Islam, with proofs from the Qur’aan, the word of Allah subhana wa ta’ala, and from the words of our Prophet –salallahu alayhi wa sallam?
There are a lot of questions that someone can make… and the answer must be with evidence from the Qur’aan from the Sunnah and from the scholars, NOT FROM OUR MINDS.
We have to remember bothe males and females:

Why is Islam called so ?

Praise be to Allaah.
In Arabic, Islam means surrender . It has been taken to describe the status of the one who embraces Allah’s Religion for he surrenders his will to Allah and abide by the rules set by Him and conveyed via His Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him. Allah says about Ibrahim, peace be upon him, “When his Lord said to him, “Submit (be a Muslim )!” He said, “I have submitted myself (as a Muslim ) to the Lord of all that exists. ” [al-Baqarah 2:131 – interpretation of the meaning] .
The Standing Committee

al-Da’wah magazine, no. 1789, p. 42.

kayleigh

I don't think this is a non-issue at all. It is in many ways directly connected to much bigger issues about how women are viewed and treated in Muslim communities these days. In many places, women are banned from the masjid entirely, discouraged from going, or relegated to a closet or otherwise inadequate space. Thankfully, many masjids in the US have nice accommodations for women if they are segregated. But it isn't always the case. Women are an equal half of the community. They're the ones who are teaching your children - they are the backbone of the community. and if they aren't welcome fully in the masjid then don't be surprised when they turn to other places you don't approve of.

I really hate how people try to use their own "reason" to stop women from praying in the same room. Is there any hadith or verse that says women are too trashy or provocative now days to pray in the same room? No, there isn't.

samiha

---------
Staff member
I don't think this is a non-issue at all. It is in many ways directly connected to much bigger issues about how women are viewed and treated in Muslim communities these days. In many places, women are banned from the masjid entirely, discouraged from going, or relegated to a closet or otherwise inadequate space. Thankfully, many masjids in the US have nice accommodations for women if they are segregated. But it isn't always the case. Women are an equal half of the community. They're the ones who are teaching your children - they are the backbone of the community. and if they aren't welcome fully in the masjid then don't be surprised when they turn to other places you don't approve of.

I really hate how people try to use their own "reason" to stop women from praying in the same room. Is there any hadith or verse that says women are too trashy or provocative now days to pray in the same room? No, there isn't.

Assalaamu 'alaykum ukhti

What I meant was a "non-issue" is not the treatment of the women in general at the masaajid - but specifically these women being given extra media attention about this specific instance. I just feel that subhanAllaah there are a lot of other issues with way more import that go underrated in place of such propaganda worthy news of a few women arguing and debating with masjid administration to be allowed to pray right alongside the men- which is not even from Islaam.

That being said doesnt mean I dont think we need to look at how women are treated and their accommodations. Like I mentioned before I think it is good that the masaajid be open to the women, that they be able to go and benefit by all means. And the situations when this is not provided should be looked into and addressed - but by that we should not compromise our own values.

Say for instance -- I lived in a city for a while, with such a small Muslim population that we prayed in a rented storefront for quite a while. Now obviously there was no space for women - it was a one room store ... there was no ability to host the women in most times, and a makeshift area was made during Ramadaan to accommodate us. Was it luxury ground? No. Were there difficulties at times? Yes. But it was not possible the situation being as it was to be able to have better accommodations. Now if I were to come prancing up thereby and demanding I be given the same spots and locations as the men when it was entirely not possible with hardly enough space for men as it was and me trying to impose myself then I would be looked to as unreasonable. I know it was not a matter of respect! My father tried his best to make things easy for us and even after that we had difficulties, but alhamdulillaah I appreciate the efforts given as I know his intent was to give us a place of privacy and a way to maintain our hayaa', which is a key component to Imaan.

Now why would we in this case naturally assume that these women were in the right of demand? I mean Allaah knows best the situation and we shouldnt assume they werent given a good place to pray otherwise. But again sis kaleigh I do agree with you saying the Masjids should be open to women if possible, and that it should be a place where learning, teaching, meeting and understanding can take place. I just didn't see that happening here in this case.

And of course there is no hadith saying women are too trashy Astagfirullah... I don't know why that would ever be implied, but praying in the same room with both genders - everyone will agree that the people within it have to have the similar values and understanding. I have prayed behind men on a few different occasions, other times had classes there and seriously some of the girls would sit there and giggle and talk and point ... rendering the allowance of this area to be voided. Men would look over, and some actually would loiter around the girls section talking to someone... and I just don't see it as the best situation unless again the men and women understand the etiquette of the masaajid, that's all I'm saying.

It of course is not a fatwa saying women cannot pray behind the men. It's just been a point we understand in Islaam that anything that leads to evil should be stayed away from as well. And if such situations can prompt that which is disliked in Islaam, and you maintain the barriers for fear of fitnah, for protection of hayaa', for the increasing of khushoo' then I can find no reason to criticize. Allaah knows best.

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.