new to this

jenny82

Asslamaamu Alaikum,

My name is Jennifer and i am new to this site. I have became interested in Islam and have been reading different things on the internet. I would like to know if someone can help me with a couple of questions?

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Hiya jenny82

Welcome to tti....hope you enjoy your time here...

Ask away, well try our best to answer :)

jenny82

hi my main questions is about dogs. I have read in some sites that it is not acceptable to have them (i do and she is very well trained she is quite docile actually she does not eat,drink or sleep any where near our things and she is a good guard dog when we are out) but then i read you can have them for hunting or guarding and you could use them for collecting you food. but there saliva is impure so how can you eat the food? I am so confused

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
hey,

Yes that is correct, its not permissable to have dogs According to Islaamic Sharee’ah, it is not permitted to keep a dog except within narrowly-defined limits, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained: "Whoever keeps a dog, his good deeds will decrease every day by one qeeraat (a unit of measurement), unless it is a dog for farming or herding." According to another report: ". . . unless it is a dog for herding sheep, farming or hunting." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath...

jenny82

Thank you very much for your reply my husband is Muslim but does not know some of the answers to my questions. This site has helped me a lot. I will probably be back soon with another question. Thank You

mohd_osman

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“A dog can be owned for purposes such as the following:

1. A trained dog for hunting. Remember in Islam we are only allowed to hunt for food; there is no such thing as hunting for fun, for we are not allowed to kill or torture animals or drive them out of their habitats for the fun of it.

2. A trained dog as a guide. This would be the case if a person is blind and he/she has no choice but to keep a dog for essential services. In this case, it is permissible for him/her to keep a dog inside the house once it has been trained for service, but it is still recommended that the dog have its own sleeping arrangement.

3. A dog trained for police duties.

4. A guard dog to guard houses or property.

5. A dog used by farmers to shepherd cattle and sheep.

We are, however, not allowed to keep a dog as a pet, since it is not a very clean animal. How often have you come across the nasty sight of dogs taken for a walk licking their own excrement? Isn’t it disgusting to see their owners kissing the mouth of such animals after such incidents as if nothing happened? Would you kiss the mouth of your own baby if he were to do the same? Think how many parasites and microbes may be hiding in their mouths.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has spared us from being contaminated by such filth when he ordered us to stay clear of the saliva of dogs. If we ever come into contact with a dog’s saliva we must wash the spot seven times, the first of which should be with sand or dirt. It is also possible to use a bacterial soap instead of sand or dirt.

In conclusion: Don’t contemplate taking a dog home as a pet. If, however, you do need to keep a dog for any of the reasons given above, then you may do so. But take every precaution not to have contact with its saliva, and also arrange for a separate living space.”

jenny82

Thank you for your reply Mohd Osman,

In reply to your answer i do have another question. A cat does these same things it also cleans itself in the same way as a dog but cats are not classed as impure. these are the things that confuse me. I know that i have always been brought up around pets so this is why it gives me more questions about it. but i do want to learn

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

We should not be keeping dogs in the home.

Some Scholars say that even for security, its best not to keep a dog. There are better ways of securing a house or business now.

We are told by the Prophet :saw: to treat all animals well. They are to be helped and cared for if in distress and this is for dogs too. But, we should not keep them as they are an impure animal.

The Prophet :saw: said:
"a man saw a dog biting the dust because of thirst, so he took his shoe and started to scoop water up with it until the dog’s thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and granted him entry to Paradise for it." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 174)

and in another hadith:
"Whilst a man was walking he became very thirsty, so he went down to a well and drank from it. When he came out, he saw a dog panting and biting the soil because of thirst. The man said, ‘He is suffering the same as I suffered,’ so he filled his shoe (with water), came out and let the dog drink until his thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and forgave him because of it." The people asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, will we be rewarded for how we treat animals?" He said, "In every living thing there is a reward." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 2363)

According to the proper understanding, Every part of the dog is impure. This is because of its nature, i.e. it licks its body and spreads its saliva and germs.

The Dog is very dirty:

"If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him throw away whatever was in it and wash it seven times." (Reported by Muslim, no. 418).

Also, keep in mind that the angels do not go into the home which has a dog.
The Prophet :saw: said
"The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 3225)

"Whoever keeps a dog, his good deeds will decrease every day by one qeeraat (a unit of measurement), unless it is a dog for farming or herding." According to another report: ". . . unless it is a dog for herding sheep, farming or hunting." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 2322)

Cats and many other animals which are by nature cleaner animals are allowed.
Yahya related to me from Malik from Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha from Humayda bint Abi Ubayda ibn Farwa that her maternal aunt Kabsha bint Kab ibn Malik, who was the wife of the son of Abu Qatada al-Ansari, told her that once Abu Qatada was visiting her and she poured out some water for him to do wudu with. Just then a cat came to drink from it, so he tilted the vessel towards it to let it drink. Kabsha continued, "He saw me looking at him and said, 'Are you surprised, daughter of my brother?' I said, 'Yes.' He replied that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, cats are not impure. They intermingle with you .' "
Yahya said that Malik said, "There is no harm in that unless one sees impurities on the cat's mouth." - Hadith from Muwatta.

The following is a hadith from the authentic collection of Imam Muslim:

Dawud ibn Salih ibn Dinar at-Tammar quoted his mother as saying that her mistress sent her with some pudding (harisah) to Aisha who was offering prayer. She made a sign to me to place it down. A cat came and ate some of it, but when Aisha finished her prayer, she ate from the place where the cat had eaten. She stated: The Messenger of Allah :saw: said: It is not unclean: it is one of those who go round among you. She added: I saw the Messenger of Allah :saw: performing ablution from the water left over by the cat.

Good Treatment of Cats:

Hadith - Bukhari 3:553
Allah's Apostle :saw: said, "A woman was tortured and was put in Hell because of a cat which she had kept locked till it died of hunger." Allah's Apostle :saw: further said, "(Allah knows better) Allah said (to the woman), 'You neither fed it nor watered when you locked it up, nor did you set it free to eat the insects of the earth.' "

jenny82

Thank you for your reply Mabsoot ihave read alot of the post on here from you,

My problem still goes back to that cats clean themselves in the same way as dogs and will do somethings that dogs do. I thought that my problem would be that Jesus (pbuh) was not the son of God (i was baptised as a Mormon) but after reading somethings about Islamic belifes i do find that it is true that Jesus(pbuh) was not. I know that it my seem minor havong a question about a dog but i am sure once i read more i wll see the right behind it. Could you recomend some good book to me?
Thank you so much for your help

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Thank you for your reply Mabsoot ihave read alot of the post on here from you,

My problem still goes back to that cats clean themselves in the same way as dogs and will do somethings that dogs do. I thought that my problem would be that Jesus (pbuh) was not the son of God (i was baptised as a Mormon) but after reading somethings about Islamic belifes i do find that it is true that Jesus(pbuh) was not. I know that it my seem minor havong a question about a dog but i am sure once i read more i wll see the right behind it. Could you recomend some good book to me?
Thank you so much for your help

Hi,

I believe the notion of cleanliness is not merely how the animals clean themselves as one of the posters said before, but the actual saliva.

The hadith state that the dog is unclean, its saliva is unclean. That if a dog eats from the same bowl you shouldnt eat from it. Whereas, a cat is clean so it is not too much of a problem. Likewise, you can touch, stroke a cat its not a problem. There is difference in their saliva

wasalam.

Hope that helps ?

In 1996 over 10,000 U.S. deaths were attributed to a dog owner's choking on saliva during morning wake-up licks!!

Also, i remember when some people moved into an ex-dogs home, and they converted it into their own house, they were told that the dogs' bacterial presence will stay for several years such is the severity of their germs.

The hadith of the Prophet :saw: are what we should be following :). For we get our information from the perfect example to mankind, the Prophet :saw: who got revelation direct from Allah, the most high.

Hi Jenny 82
Welcome to turntoislam, i am happy that you have such interest to Islam, i hope for you guidance and to find the straight path.

good luck

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam alaikum

Every creature of Allah SWT has a use, Allah SWT has created us for His worship and created everyhting in the world for our help. We've to find out how can we use the best use of that..
Mahsaa'Allh dog is great creature of Allah and the best uses are described by brother mohd_osman.

May Allah guide us and protect us.

Jazakallahu Khair
wassalam

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
~Salam to all!

Hi,

I believe the notion of cleanliness is not merely how the animals clean themselves as one of the posters said before, but the actual saliva.

The hadith state that the dog is unclean, its saliva is unclean. That if a dog eats from the same bowl you shouldnt eat from it. Whereas, a cat is clean so it is not too much of a problem. Likewise, you can touch, stroke a cat its not a problem. There is difference in their saliva

wasalam.

Hope that helps ?

In 1996 over 10,000 U.S. deaths were attributed to a dog owner's choking on saliva during morning wake-up licks!!

Also, i remember when some people moved into an ex-dogs home, and they converted it into their own house, they were told that the dogs' bacterial presence will stay for several years such is the severity of their germs.

The hadith of the Prophet :saw: are what we should be following :). For we get our information from the perfect example to mankind, the Prophet :saw: who got revelation direct from Allah, the most high.

Salam alaikum

Every creature of Allah SWT has a use, Allah SWT has created us for His worship and created everyhting in the world for our help. We've to find out how can we use the best use of that..
Mahsaa'Allh dog is great creature of Allah and the best uses are described by brother mohd_osman.

May Allah guide us and protect us.

Jazakallahu Khair
wassalam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:bismillah:
:salam2:

SURAH Al A'RAF: 179 VERSES
A favor

UNDERSTANDING VERSES
TITLE: EYE, EAR, mind & heart :

indeed we have made for Hell many of the jinn
and people who have a heart (but) do not understand
with (the verses of Allah), and the eyes (but) not
want to see (proof of oneness of Allah) and who have
ear (but) do not want to hear (the teachings and advice);
They are like cattle, nay more misguided:
Such are the heedless.

Dearest Jenny 82,
I absolutely agree with the well explaination above by brother Mabsoot and brother saifkhan .i guess the choice is yours whether to keep or not.

Another asking that you wish to know is that the different between of why about keeping a dog to that of a household cat.
You see though their application is quite the same that one keeping it as house's pet but altogether their body condition is different like for example enzymatic reactions and all that.

Did you know that a cat can feed on chocolate but dog takes in chocolate as toxic in it body and will die upon eating just that?

So really everything is up to you the choice is yours.

:tti_sister:May Allah swt bless upon all muslim~Amin!

Take Care!
Thank you,

~Wassalam :)

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

1) A good book on Islam for a beginner is:

"Toward Understanding Islam" by A. A. Maududi

You can find it at a Islamic bookstore or online Islamic bookstores.

2) The saliva of the dog is considered impure and most likely leads to several illnesses and parasitic infections in humans. For example, many children have intestinal parasitic infections because of a pet dog that licks their lips, which happens commonly to the children. The hunting dog, is kept outside, and any food it retrieves on the hunt, is cooked thoroughly, killings parasites and microbes. The guard dog is also kept outside, and must not be kissed on the lips or allowed to feed from the hands, or enter the home, etc. The cat is allowed as a pet, we can reason then that perhaps it is not as problematic as a dog because it has not been forbidden. It is also the case that Angels do not enter homes with dogs. So their may be other factors also prohibiting dogs and not simply the issue of the saliva.

3) Learn about Islam at the following sites:

http://www.islamreligion.com/

http://thedeenshow.com/

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

elysetexel

Sister, at first I want to say salaam aleikum and welcom here. Iam a convert Moslim and learned alot here. You can ask here as many questions as you want and there is most of the time an answer from a sister or brother.
Have a nice time here and keep on learning alhamdullilah

mrahim

Thank you for your reply Mohd Osman,

In reply to your answer i do have another question. A cat does these same things it also cleans itself in the same way as a dog but cats are not classed as impure. these are the things that confuse me. I know that i have always been brought up around pets so this is why it gives me more questions about it. but i do want to learn

:salam2:

jenny, refer to the QURAN which will give you without any contradictions, just find verse which mentioned about dogs, if you are still not clear with answers, we can chat @ yahoo msg

my id isL rm_mas01*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

TQ & GOD BLESS

samantha23

I TO AM IN THE SAME BOAT I HAVE A DOG I CAN NOT KEEP HERE OUTSIDE AS SHE A ADULT DOG AND HAS ALWAYS LIVED IN THE HOUSE I THINK IT WOULD BE CRUEL TO MY KALIB AND I NO STATES IN THE QURAN THAT YOU SHOULDENT BE CRUEL TO ANY ANIMALS I NO I WILL BE PUNISHED FOR KEEPING HER BUT I DNT SEE A WAY OUT :girl3::girl3: