Women imams to lead prayers in mosques

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Women imams could be leading prayers in British mosques within 15 years, according to a leading Muslim.

However, resistance from traditionalists means that although women may lead other women, it could be decades before they lead mixed congregations.

The number of female Islamic scholars, or alimahs, is soaring. Until recently there were very few. Now there are five seminaries for women against two for men. Hundreds of women are now qualified to advise and counsel both men and women in Islam.

Fiyaz Mughal, director of Faith Matters, a conflict resolution organisation funded by the Government and private benefactors, told that Muslims were discussing an enhanced role for women.

Some women Muslims already lead women in prayers at home or in special settings such as women’s prisons. Their “congregations” refer to them as imamahs.

Faith Matters is preparing next month to publish a survey into 500 mosques in England with a league table of women-friendly mosques as part of the Government’s “developing diversity” programme. There are 50 “five star” and 50 “four star” mosques with good prayer space for women, washing facilities and women in leadership and advisory roles.

Men and women are segregated in prayer in Islam because men are considered the weaker sex and unable to avoid distraction.

In the survey, Mr Mughal says: “At the root of Islamic history is the fact that women have played a key role in Islamic development.” He said the comfort and advice Mohammed’s wife Khadijah gave him helped him to overcome “turbulent” times.

Nothing in the Koran prohibits a woman from leading prayer but it is forbidden in one of the hadiths, or sayings, attributed to Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

Women have occasionally led prayers in mosques in America, Canada and South Africa. Many Sunni scholars have no problem with women leading women-only congregations but that has never been official practice in Britain.

Mr Mughal said that discussion of women’s faith leadership was slowly starting to take place among British Muslim leaders. “There are social discussions that are looking at the role of women’s leadership within pastoral care and even within prayer,” he said. “There are imamahs who are regarded as learned scholars in Islamic jurisprudence and within the Holy Koran and the hadith and they can be a resource for women looking for information on religious matters.

“They are a vital source of information for some women within mosques and their role is being established in mosques.” Mr Mughal added: “There is no verse in the Koran that prevents a woman from leading prayer. This is important since in Islam that which is forbidden is referred to in the Koran.”

He argued that women could also lead men in prayer. “The best example is that a woman can today lead prayer in her own household if she is the most learned and this means that her husband would in effect follow her in prayer.

“I have done this many times when my mother has led prayer. There is also the issue when men have been killed like in Bosnia and when women provided the leadership and provided much needed pastoral and spiritual care.”

Case study ‘Female side is stronger now’

Hafizah Khan is one of the few Muslim woman chaplains in Britain.

She works on the female side at Peterborough private prison having studied on the only government-accredited Muslim chaplaincy course.

She does not wear full Islamic dress to work, just trousers and a headscarf. “I am not an imam,” she said, although she acknowledged that women in the prison refer to her as “imamah”.

Ms Khan previously worked in education welfare. “I was interested in what was happening behind the bars, especially for Muslims. Another imam who was an ex-colleague of mine was leading prayers at Peterborough. He asked me if I was interested.”

She added: “I believe there will be female imams. The female side of Islam in Britain has become stronger.”

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Women are the main gender of reverts to Islam in the West, I am not surprised more women want to be Imams.

I guess no one on this site supports that though...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

When sisters get together we have a sister who lines-up with us and we make salat together. Women do not give kuthbas etc. Our roles are delineated.

In prisons they have contract imams. There is no need for women to be imams. It is not a matter to debate.

Even in the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches it was the " Apostelic Succession" or the passing on from man to man from the time of Paul.

We have different roles as Muslim women.

Kakorot

:salam2:

I hate all this stupid feminism stuff :|

There's nothing wrong with sisters leading in prayers amongst themselves but she can't stand infront of the congregation like the men do, she has to stand in the same line. And she definately cannot lead men in prayers!

And it doesn't matter if the majority of reverts to Islam are women, we all know that already. Just because there are more female reverts doesn't mean we change the religion.

Valerie

So... The more I learn/read here (and please don't take this as directed at anyone, it's just in general), the more I think that Islam has a lot in common with Christianity. Please don't be offended, let me explain. Specific to this topic, I had to go look up a verse by Paul regarding women, "I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

Sounds pretty similar to the impression I'm getting of Islam. The role of women in Islam is pretty much the same as Christianity? Yes? No?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

There's nothing wrong with sisters leading in prayers amongst themselves but she can't stand infront of the congregation like the men do, she has to stand in the same line. And she definately cannot lead men in prayers!

And it doesn't matter if the majority of reverts to Islam are women, we all know that already. Just because there are more female reverts doesn't mean we change the religion.

mashallah! well said sister.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
So... The more I learn/read here (and please don't take this as directed at anyone, it's just in general), the more I think that Islam has a lot in common with Christianity. Please don't be offended, let me explain. Specific to this topic, I had to go look up a verse by Paul regarding women, "I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

Sounds pretty similar to the impression I'm getting of Islam. The role of women in Islam is pretty much the same as Christianity? Yes? No?

of course NO! how can you forget the basic difference "Islam says that God is One without partner".

secondly, if in Islam women do not dominate men, it does not mean that she remains silent. she has full right to educate herself and do dawah among women.

besmiralalbani

Think for yourself
salam alaykum

“There is no verse in the Koran that prevents a woman from leading prayer. This is important since in Islam that which is forbidden is referred to in the Koran.”

He argued that women could also lead men in prayer. “The best example is that a woman can today lead prayer in her own household if she is the most learned and this means that her husband would in effect follow her in prayer.

Say to this "Imam" the Sunnah is a law too. If something is forbiden by the Sunnah we must obey.
I wanted to say something to all of us. This religion is very serious. And if we want to FOLLOW the TRUTH than we have to submit and obey Allah subhana wa ta'ala and His Messenger -salallahu alayhi wa sallam-. Who want to change something in the religion is loosing, is going astray because Allah subhana wa ta'ala says (interpretation of the meaning):
"...This day, those who disbelieved have given up all hope of your religion, so fear them not, but fear Me. This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion... " (Al Maaida 5: 3)

So if the Mighty the Most Powerful, the Creator, Rabbul 'Alamiin, says that this religion is completed, and His Messenger -salallahu alayhi wa sallam- said:
"Be careful of invented matters in the religion, because every thing that is invented in BID'A (something invented in the religion), and every BID'A il loss"
and he -salallahu alayhi wa sallam- said:
"Who goes away from my tradition (sunnah), is not from me."
And he -salallahu alayhi wa sallam- said to his companions -radiallahu anhum:
"Really, who will live among you, will see a lot of objections"
This hadith are taken from the book: Behave soft o followers of the Sunnah with the followers of the Sunnah - Abdulmuhsin ibn Hamad al-Abad

Read this article from Islam q&a. Who want the truth must read the truth. Must accept the comands of Allah, the comands of His Messenger -salallahu alayhi wa sallam-, we must submit and we must see into our hearts, we must purify them by submiting to Allah and what He subhana wa ta'ala comands us to do and we must not follow our desires our own opinion in matters that deal with the religion :

Ruling on a woman leading men in prayer
What is the ruling on a woman leading men in Jumu’ah and other prayers?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly:

Allaah has singled out men for some virtues and rulings, and He has singled out women for other virtues and rulings. It is not permissible for any man to wish for that which has been granted to women only, nor is it permissible for any woman to wish for that which has been granted to men. This kind of wishing is tantamount to objecting to the laws and rulings of Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And wish not for the things in which Allaah has made some of you to excel others. For men there is reward for what they have earned, (and likewise) for women there is reward for what they have earned, and ask Allaah of His Bounty. Surely, Allaah is Ever All‑Knower of everything”

[al-Nisa’ 4:32]

al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Allaah forbids the believers to wish for that with which Allaah has favoured others, whether that is in things that are possible or things that are impossible. Women should not wish for the things that have been bestowed uniquely upon men, by which Allaah has favoured them over women, and no poor person or person who has shortcomings should merely wish for the position of one who is rich or perfect, because this is the essence of destructive envy (hasad)… and because that implies displeasure with the decree of Allaah. End quote.

One of the things for which Allaah has singled out men is that the acts of worship which require physical strength, such as jihad, or require a position of leadership such as leading the prayers, etc., are only for men, and women have nothing to do with them.

This is indicated by a great deal of evidence, such as the following:

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means”

[al-Nisa’ 4:34]

al-Shaafa’i said in al-Umm (1/191):

If a woman leads men, women and boys in prayer, then the prayer of the women is valid and the prayer of the men and boys is invalid, because Allaah has given men the role of protectors and maintainers of women, and He has not allowed them to be in charge, so it is not permissible for a woman to lead a man in prayer under any circumstances, ever. End quote.

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Men have been favoured over women in numerous ways, such as the fact that positions of leadership and Prophethood are limited to men only, and many acts of worship, such as jihad and leading the Eid prayers and Jumu’ah prayers, are for men only, and Allaah has favoured them with intellect, wisdom, patience and toughness which women do not share. End quote.

2 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect) to what is reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise”

[al-Baqarah 2:228]

al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“but men have a degree over them” means higher status and leadership, and more rights over them, as Allaah says, “Men are the protectors and maintainers of women”. The position of Prophet and judge, leading the prayers and leading the state, and all positions of authority, are restricted to men. End quote.

3 – al-Bukhaari (4425) narrated that Abu Bakrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No people will ever succeed who appoint a woman as their leader.”

This hadeeth indicates that it is not permissible for a woman to hold a position of public authority, and leading the prayers is a position of public authority.

4 – Abu Dawood (576) and Ahmad (5445) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not prevent your women from attending the mosques, although their houses are better for them.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Sunan Abi Dawood.

It says in ‘Awn al-Ma’bood:

“although their houses are better for them” means: their praying in their houses is better for them than their praying in the mosques, if only they knew, but they do not know that, and they ask for permission to go out to the mosques, because they think that the reward for them in the mosque is greater. The reason why their praying at home is better is that there is no danger of fitnah. That was confirmed after women began to wear adornments. End quote.

5 – Muslim (440) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best rows for men are those are the front and the worst are those at the back, and the best rows for women are those at the back and the worst are those at the front.”

Al-Nawawi said:

The phrase “the rows for men” is to be understood in general terms as meaning that the best of them are those that are at the front, and the worst are those at the back, and that is always the case. As for the rows for women, what is meant in this hadeeth is the rows of women who are praying with men. But if women are praying on their own and not with men, then they are like men and the best rows are those at the front and the worst are those at the back. What is meant by the worst rows for both men and women is that they bring less reward, are lower in status and are further removed from what is required by sharee’ah. And the best rows are the opposite of that. The virtue of the last row for women who are praying with men is that they are farther away from mixing with men or seeing them or becoming attracted to them when seeing their movements or hearing their words and so on. The first rows are condemned for the opposite of that. And Allaah knows best. End quote.

If a woman is enjoined to pray in her house and keep away from men, and the worst rows for women are the front rows, because they are closer to the men, then how can it be befitting for Islam to allow a woman to pray as an imam, leading men in prayer, when it enjoins her to keep away from men?

6 – al-Bukhaari (684) and Muslim (421) narrated from Sahl ibn Sa’d al-Saa’idi that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever notices anything amiss during the prayer, let him say tasbeeh, for if he does so it will be noticed; and clapping is only for women.”

al-Haafiz said:

It is as if women are not allowed to say tasbeeh because they are enjoined to keep their voices low in prayer at all times, because of the fear of fitnah. End quote.

If women are forbidden to alert the imam by speaking if he makes a mistake, and should clap instead, so that they will not raise their voice in the presence of men, then how can it be allowed for a woman to lead them in prayer and deliver a khutbah to them?

7 – Muslim (658) narrated from Anas ibn Maalik that he prayed behind the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and with him was his grandmother and an orphan. He said: The orphan and I stood in a row behind him, and the old woman stood behind us.

Al-Haafiz said:

This shows that a woman should not stand in a row with a man. The basic reason is that there is the fear of fitnah because of her. End quote.

If a woman should stand on her own behind the rows, and not stand in the same row as the men, how can she stand in front of them and lead them in prayer?

It says in ‘Awn al-Ma’bood:

This indicates that it is not permissible for a woman to lead men in prayer, because if she is not allowed to stand in the same row as them, it is less likely that she should be allowed to stand in front of them. End quote.

8 – According to the actions of the Muslims throughout fourteen hundred years, no woman should be allowed to men in prayer.

Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’, 2/289

Whoever goes against this is following a path other than that of the believers. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers’ way, We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell — what an evil destination!”

[al-Nisa’ 4:115]

There follow some comments of the scholars:

It says in al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (6/205):

In order to lead men in prayers, it is essential that the imam be a male; it is not valid for a woman to lead men in prayers. The fuqaha’ are unanimously agreed on this matter. End quote.

Ibn Hazm said in Maraatib al-Ijmaa’, p. 27

They are unanimously agreed that a woman should not lead men in prayer when they know that she is a woman. If they do that then their prayer is invalid, according to scholarly consensus. End quote.

It says in al-Muhalla (2/167):

It is not permissible for a woman to lead a man or men in prayer. There is no difference of scholarly opinion on this point. Moreover the text states that a woman invalidates a man’s prayer if she walks in front of him… The ruling of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is that she should definitely stand behind the man in prayer, and the imam must stand in front of the congregation or with one who is praying with him in the same row… From these texts it may be established that it is definitely invalid for a woman to lead a man or men in prayer. End quote.

Al-Nawawi (4/152) said in al-Majmoo (4/152):

Our companions are agreed that it is not permissible for an adult man or a boy to pray behind a woman… the prohibition on a woman leading men in prayer applies equally to obligatory prayers, Taraweeh and all supererogatory prayers. This is our view and the view of all the scholars from the earlier and later generations – may Allaah have mercy on them. Al-Bayhaqi narrated this from the seven fuqaha’, the Taabi’i fuqaha’ of Madeenah. It is also the view of Maalik, Abu Haneefah, Sufyaan, Ahmad and Dawood….

Moreover if a woman leads a man or men in prayer, the men’s prayer is invalid, but her prayer and the prayer of any women who pray behind her is valid in all prayers, except if she leads them in Jumu’ah prayer, in which case there are two views, the most sound of which is that her prayer does not count. The second view is that it does count and it takes the place of Zuhr. This is the view of Shaykh Abu Haamid, but it does not amount to anything. And Allaah knows best.

In al-Insaaf (2/265) it says:

“ A woman’s leading a man in prayer is not valid” –

This is our view in general – meaning the madhhab of Imam Ahmad – it says in al-Mustaw’ib: This is the correct view. End quote.

The Maaliki view concerning this matter is the strictest of all. They do not allow a woman to lead even other women in prayer, and they regard maleness as an essential condition for leading the prayer in all cases. In al-Fawaakih al-Dawaani it says (1/204):

Note that there are conditions for leading the prayer to be valid and complete. The conditions of it being valid are thirteen, the first of which is being male; it is not valid for a woman or an effeminate man to lead the prayer. The prayer of the one who prays behind a woman is invalid but not the prayer of the female who led the prayer. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about a man who prayed ‘Asr behind his wife. He replied:

It is not permissible for a woman to lead a man in prayer and his prayer offered behind her is not valid, because of a great deal of evidence to that effect, and the man mentioned must repeat his prayer.”

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 12/130

Secondly:

With regard to the evidence presented by those who refer to the reports which say that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave Umm Waraqah permission to led her household in prayer (narrated by Abu Dawood, 591), they say that she used to lead the people of her house in prayer, among whom were men and boys. The scholars have given several answers to that:

1- The hadeeth is da’eef (weak).
Al-Haafiz said in al-Talkhees (p. 121): Its isnaad includes ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Khallaad who is unknown. End quote.

It says in al-Muntaqa Sharh al-Muwatta’:

This hadeeth is one to which no attention should be paid. End quote.

2- Even if the hadeeth is saheeh, what it means is that she used to lead the women of her household in prayer.
3- That was something that applied only to Umm Waraqah, and it is not prescribed for anyone else.
4- Some scholars quote it as evidence that a woman may lead a man in prayer, but only in cases of necessity, and what is meant by necessity is when there is no man who can recite al-Faatihah properly. Haashiyat Ibn Qaasim, 2/313
See al-Mughni. 3/33.

arzafar

what a joke!
East or West, why do people invent things in religion.
do whatever you want; just dont refer yourself as Muslim.

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

1)
mahussain3

More than once have you made controversial posts, without providing any full Islamic explanation, which has the adverse effect of misleading ignorant people that call themselves Muslims, from among the youth and reverts. You need to fear Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) and stop making posts, in which you provide no Islamic explanation and leave everything to personal opinion. Don't let your qareen (devil companion) get the best of you.

2) The Female Gender:

In Islam, the male gender is not the epitome for the female gender to emulate or try to become. For example, sitting in a congregation filled with the male gender has no status or affluence attached to it. Nor does using a male restroom. This is the way of thinking of non-Muslim females, they look upon the male gender as their standard to live up to and become. The result, one sees feminists that have cut their hair short to emulate the hairstyle among men, some refuse to have children and take medication to stop their menses because they view all of that has belittlement and a sign of humiliation. Why? Because their god, the male gender, does not do those things. And of course they do other things to emulate the behavior and lifestyle of the male gender.

In Islam, both genders have been honored in different ways, they have been created to fulfill different roles in this life, but were given the same destiny, in that they will be resurrected, judged, and sent to either Heaven or Hell.

Who decides the rules for men and women and what role they fulfill in this life? The answer is Allah (The Glorified and Exalted). Allah (The Exalted) has done this to the entire creation, giving them various roles. For example, among the angels, Jabriel (peace be upon him) was favored with status above the rest of the angels and delivered the revelation. However, the other angels also serve a purpose for their existence and are necessary for the system to function, so they were created. Among men, some were elected as prophets and others simply became "common people" that inhabit the earth and come and go from it. However, all of them are important and were created for a purpose.

The Iblis (Satan) was the first creation that refused the Law of Allah (The Exalted). When Iblis was told to fall in prostration to Adam (peace be upon him), the Iblis realized that this is a form of honoring man above the jinn. Instead of being humble and accepting the ruling of the Creator, Iblis turned against it and will end up in Hell. This is because the Creator owns everything as part of His property and He can dispense any role or position or rule to any of His creation He wishes.

3)

Women may teach men from behind the veil. For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) told the people, "Learn some of your religion from this red haired woman (i.e. Aisha (peace be upon her))." Therefore, there is a history of men learning from women that had been given more religious knowledge, but in the appropriate Islamic environment.

4) People follow the religion after accepting the beliefs. Then they follow the rules, etc. This is the reason the Creator told people about belief in Himself and other beliefs, then later introduced the Laws that are to be followed. Whether that included dietary rulings to the covering of women, etc. All of that has to do with His own Preference and testing the Amanah (Obedience of mankind). The first people to come to Islam had various opinions they had formulated from living their lives as non-Muslims. When they came to Islam, they changed their way of thinking and lifestyle because they believed Allah (The Exalted) was God and ruled the universe. And understood that whoever doesn't follow His rules, they will end up in Hell. People did not become believers because they heard something about women or men or elderly, or neighbors' rights or the fact that they have to pay obligatory charity tax (2.5%) to the poor or undergo the task of fasting for one month.

Learn more about Islam by clicking on my username, go to "Statistics" and "Threads started by" and read the Learning Islam (LI) threads starting from Part 1.

* Women in Islam: http://www.islamweb.net/womane/

And Allah (The Glorified) Knows Best.

revert2007

Love Fishing

Assalamualikum dear.Of course the answer is no.Well I can't explain everything now because am too tired yet I will state some points here just to make you feel better.

If in hadith it says that the best place for a woman to pray is home then there should be questions about women leading prayers infront of men.

Even if a woman lives beside kaabah,the best place for her to pray is her home.

Only Islam honours women.

Well I would like to state some points here.The most hadith narrated was a woman(Aishah R.A)

The first martyr of Islam was a woman, Sumayyah

I need to stop now.Please read this by Br.Mabsoot

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I wish to thank the originator of the post. Much benefit has been made. We need some controversial posts; we do not fear we justify.

Valerie...sometimes men don't get it. So let me try, please.

The role of women in the Biblical sense is similar to the role of women in Islam. I always think of Asiya..Ruth, Namomi, Mary the Mother of Jesus, and Elizabeth, Martha..to think of a few. These were strong women. They were independent women. They were chaste and pious women. The faith of Hagar.

The role of Muslim women is defined for us in the ettiquette of the Mothers of the Believers. These were powerful women. They ran international businessess; were the sources of knowledge for Muslims forever, were guardians of the households of the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, they were nurses and teachers, they were social workers.
They worked hard. They were independent thinkers. They were feared by men.

Well...they are the definition of what a Muslim woman is. So, as a believing woman I look to them and the predecessors as to what is a successful woman. And remember these women influenced the Prophet of Allah. He listened to them.

Muslim women do not need to be in the limelight. We have way too much to do..let the menfolk tend to their stuff and let us practice what the Mothers of the Believers did.

kayleigh

Women should have every right to be scholars or advise Muslims. However, I don't think it's a good idea to lead prayer in a mixed congregation.

I'm curious to know what these women think they gain by doing that? We need more women who are strong and highly educated in the religion so that men and especially women can come to them for knowledge, advice, and help... you can do all this without leading prayer.

arzafar

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

1)

More than once have you made controversial posts, without providing any full Islamic explanation, which has the adverse effect of misleading ignorant people that call themselves Muslims, from among the youth and reverts. You need to fear Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) and stop making posts, in which you provide no Islamic explanation and leave everything to personal opinion. Don't let your qareen (devil companion) get the best of you.

2) The Female Gender:

In Islam, the male gender is not the epitome for the female gender to emulate or try to become. For example, sitting in a congregation filled with the male gender has no status or affluence attached to it. Nor does using a male restroom. This is the way of thinking of non-Muslim females, they look upon the male gender as their standard to live up to and become. The result, one sees feminists that have cut their hair short to emulate the hairstyle among men, some refuse to have children and take medication to stop their menses because they view all of that has belittlement and a sign of humiliation. Why? Because their god, the male gender, does not do those things. And of course they do other things to emulate the behavior and lifestyle of the male gender.

In Islam, both genders have been honored in different ways, they have been created to fulfill different roles in this life, but were given the same destiny, in that they will be resurrected, judged, and sent to either Heaven or Hell.

Who decides the rules for men and women and what role they fulfill in this life? The answer is Allah (The Glorified and Exalted). Allah (The Exalted) has done this to the entire creation, giving them various roles. For example, among the angels, Jabriel (peace be upon him) was favored with status above the rest of the angels and delivered the revelation. However, the other angels also serve a purpose for their existence and are necessary for the system to function, so they were created. Among men, some were elected as prophets and others simply became "common people" that inhabit the earth and come and go from it. However, all of them are important and were created for a purpose.

The Iblis (Satan) was the first creation that refused the Law of Allah (The Exalted). When Iblis was told to fall in prostration to Adam (peace be upon him), the Iblis realized that this is a form of honoring man above the jinn. Instead of being humble and accepting the ruling of the Creator, Iblis turned against it and will end up in Hell. This is because the Creator owns everything as part of His property and He can dispense any role or position or rule to any of His creation He wishes.

3)

Women may teach men from behind the veil. For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) told the people, "Learn some of your religion from this red haired woman (i.e. Aisha (peace be upon her))." Therefore, there is a history of men learning from women that had been given more religious knowledge, but in the appropriate Islamic environment.

4) People follow the religion after accepting the beliefs. Then they follow the rules, etc. This is the reason the Creator told people about belief in Himself and other beliefs, then later introduced the Laws that are to be followed. Whether that included dietary rulings to the covering of women, etc. All of that has to do with His own Preference and testing the Amanah (Obedience of mankind). The first people to come to Islam had various opinions they had formulated from living their lives as non-Muslims. When they came to Islam, they changed their way of thinking and lifestyle because they believed Allah (The Exalted) was God and ruled the universe. And understood that whoever doesn't follow His rules, they will end up in Hell. People did not become believers because they heard something about women or men or elderly, or neighbors' rights or the fact that they have to pay obligatory charity tax (2.5%) to the poor or undergo the task of fasting for one month.

Learn more about Islam by clicking on my username, go to "Statistics" and "Threads started by" and read the Learning Islam (LI) threads starting from Part 1.

* Women in Islam: http://www.islamweb.net/womane/

And Allah (The Glorified) Knows Best.

May Allah reward you in this world and in the Hereafter. Ameen

The biggest problem with feminism, gender equality blah blah is that in all these schools of thought the inherent belief is that men are superior to women. the fact that women have to do such, such and such like men and be given such,such and such like men clearly implies that the ultimate goal for women is to reach the status of men; that women must make up (where they are lacking) to become equal to men.

here is a list of famous women scholars of islam.

Amazing Women Scholars of Hadith

They taught both men and women and were famous for their knowledge. They transferred to us the hadith that we can now use to derive Islamic rulings. Yet these women never demanded to become imams or anything as such, even though they were much more learned then many imams. For them being a good woman was important then trying to become equal to a man. Needless say we need such women scholars of Islam rite now who can counter such ideas with authentic texts.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister..they gain the fifteen minutes of fame. It is a trophy...and the next Miss USA is...same line of thinking ..forgive me...i need to log off and think.

kayleigh

They taught both men and women and were famous for their knowledge. They transferred to us the hadith that we can now use to derive Islamic rulings. Yet these women never demanded to become imams or anything as such, even though they were much more learned then many imams. For them being a good woman was important then trying to become equal to a man. Needless say we need such women scholars of Islam rite now who can counter such ideas with authentic texts.

agreed... I think we all should be encouraging this and work on providing opportunities for women who want to do this. There needs to be more schools for women, especially in the West. I have run into many Muslims who seem to think women can't be scholars because they're too emotional and "deficient in their intelligence". Obviously that's not true.

Ashima33

It's really not a bad thing to be a feminist. The feminist movement originally started because women wanted the right to vote and wanted to be paid the same as men because they were doing the same work. They wanted equal pay for equal work. I don't think many would disagree with that.

It makes me feel good that Islam already addressed many of these issues and laugh when people think America has been SO progressive and one of the 1sts compared to other countries as far as women's rights.

People often say to me... "you were such a feminist in college... and then you converted to Islam???" And I tell them I feel like even more of a feminist since I converted.

I know I would not feel comfortable leading prayer in front of a bunch of men. It was hard enough eating in front of some of them during an Iftar during last year's Ramadan. All they did was STARE at me eating my croutons!!!!

kayleigh

It's really not a bad thing to be a feminist. The feminist movement originally started because women wanted the right to vote and wanted to be paid the same as men because they were doing the same work. They wanted equal pay for equal work. I don't think many would disagree with that.

It makes me feel good that Islam already addressed many of these issues and laugh when people think America has been SO progressive and one of the 1sts compared to other countries as far as women's rights.

People often say to me... "you were such a feminist in college... and then you converted to Islam???" And I tell them I feel like even more of a feminist since I converted.

I know I would not feel comfortable leading prayer in front of a bunch of men. It was hard enough eating in front of some of them during an Iftar during last year's Ramadan. All they did was STARE at me eating my croutons!!!!

and on that note, let me say that I'm sick of everything being blamed on "feminism". Lots of the women posting on here about how much they hate feminism can thank feminism for many of the rights that they enjoy in many countries... such as being educated and literate enough to post on here.

When people say they hate "feminism" they just mean they hate a certain kind of feminism. Usually forms of Western feminism. There are many, many different forms of feminism. Since the beginning of the feminist movement in the United States, there have even been women who pushed their idea of feminism as being the opposite as how many people see feminism now, such as women being able to stay home and be housewives - that was feminism to some women.

Islam itself is feminism of the best kind. It gave women rights that were unheard of in many parts of the world. It radically changed the status of women in society. Women became valued parts of society who were given the right to education, freedom to marry, freedom to divorce, etc. The list goes on and on. Why do you think most converts today are women?

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but its one of my pet peeves when people aren't educated about feminism. I am a feminist, and there is nothing shameful about that. anyone who believes in Islam is a certain kind of feminist.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
of course NO! how can you forget the basic difference "Islam says that God is One without partner".

secondly, if in Islam women do not dominate men, it does not mean that she remains silent. she has full right to educate herself and do dawah among women.

She didnt say Christianity is the same as Islam, she said it was similar. Which it is. It is after all part of the 3 Abrahamic religions.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Women can not lead men in prayers (but, they can lead women, whether it is in the Mosque or elsewhere). Women can be scholars of Islam, and they can teach and be recognised as having more knowledge of Islam than men. There is no problem with that.

That which sufficed the early generation of Muslims, suffices us. We can not add or remove to the teachings of the Quran and Sunnah.

People need let go of the thought that to be equal means to do everything that the opposite gender does. And when they do, it proves problematic, such as female soldiers. :) or female drivers

wasalamu alaykum.

Status
Not open for further replies.