Good luck= Shirk?

ShaheedU

Extinct
assalamualaikum,

i dont know weather this questions been asked and i couldnt find it so:

I wanted to know, Ive heard that if someone says 'Good luck' to someone they are commiting shirk as they are placing power in luck and not Allaahs will.

So in the same way are you allowed to say, 'Unfortunately, so and so didnt happen', with fortune being the key word?

Jazakumullah khayrun.

hamzarichard

I can see both the points you have here. as the phrase good luck is used more as a well wishing, i do not see it as shirk. course it would probably be better just to make a short dua for the person.:arabi1:

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allikum,

I say Good Luck to people as a gesture, courtesy & I have never even dreamed of having an intention of placing the power in anything but Allah.

Its just a polite saying...People have saying in different languages & thats what you say in English.

You will be judged according to your intentions on the day of judgement.

Any loss to anyone is unfortunate in nature; again the intention is not to place the control into anything other then Allah.

This is only my opinion but if you take this concept fruther then is saying "Good Morning" placing trust into morning other then Allah?

happy 2 b muslim

ASSLAM ALAYKUM

Well the 'Good luck' team comes from the roman which they worship a god of good luck. Therefore if you say good luck you wish that of the romans god give you good luck not allah as in their heart allah does come to mind as athiest say it christian say it etc. But if you really wished good luck you would make a dua and pray to allah.

hope that has answer you question.

ShaheedU

Extinct
If it was just well-wishing, then you would just say, 'i wish you well', and not good luck.

and isnt good morning more of a 'have a good morning' kinda thing, so its not the same as saying good luck,

luck is defined as: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another.
However we know an outcome of an event is based on Qadr of Allaah, so doesnt this mean that using the word luck in the way its meant to be used is shirk?

Globalpeace

Banned
Usage & etymology

Asslamo Allaikum Brothers,

Romans may have the particular concept of luck but in English as you well know even Non-Muslims don't place their belief in Luck when they say this let alone Muslims; its just a saying. If you say this to a common Non-Muslim they will just go "Ahm??, OK!"

Examples:

1) Muslims & Non-Muslims both use the word "Jesus" but they both have 2 different intentions behind the word...

2) Muslims & Non-Muslims both use the word "God" but they both have 2 different intentions behind the word...

3) These are just sayings now I agree that saying "Jesus Christ" conveys a definite meaning but in my limited knowledge & etymology of English "Good Luck" is just a greeting....like Have a Nice Day

4) "Chill Out" doesn't mean you want the person to sit in a fridge or something...Its just a saying

5) I sent an e-mail to my boss in Saudi as in England we say about something that hasn't been fully tested yet "I have yet to use it in Anger..." I got a phone call from a whole bunch of Arabs asking as to why I was angry???

6) In meetings in Saudia, Arabs usually say things like "Don't put all your "Apples" in one basket" or "Gentlemen! Lets go back to Square "0""...Its just unfamiliarity with the usage of slang....

ASSLAM ALAYKUM

Well the 'Good luck' team comes from the roman which they worship a god of good luck. Therefore if you say good luck you wish that of the romans god give you good luck not allah as in their heart allah does come to mind as athiest say it christian say it etc. But if you really wished good luck you would make a dua and pray to allah.

hope that has answer you question.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

I'm not too sure now after reading the responses. It depends doesn't it. Even when I do say good luck, I know all control is in the hands of Allah swt. But I usually say "hope you do well" or something along those lines.
hmmm.......

wasalam

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Ditto

:salam2:

I'm not too sure now after reading the responses. It depends doesn't it. Even when I do say good luck, I know all control is in the hands of Allah swt. But I usually say "hope you do well" or something along those lines.
hmmm.......

wasalam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam alikom

I dont think its shirk in any way to say ""good luck"" just add ""inshallah""at the end ! in arabic is Haz Awfar next time "inshallah "

if you say to some one I wish you good luck inshallah in your ...etc there is no kind of shirk with it.

Its better to pay attention to the Quran and Sunnah without wasting your thought in these things, Allah and his prophet peace be up on him already cleared out whats shirk is.

Allah A3lem

wa salaam alikom

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Brother,

No good or bad and no benefit or harm will happen to a person except with Allaah's Will and Predestination. Testifying and believing in this is one of the pillars of faith, and without it the faith will not be valid. Saying that a specific person is lucky or saying 'good luck' does not negate this belief. The luck is included in Allaah's Will and Decree. Indeed this term is mentioned in the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of the Prophet . Allaah Says (what means): {So he came out before his people in his adornment. Those who desired the worldly life said, ‘Oh, would that we had like what was given to Qarun. Indeed, he is one of great fortune.” }[Quran 28:79].

So there is no contradiction between luck and the belief in Allaah's Decree and Predestination. The person's luck or portion in something is predestined by Allaah. However, believing that a lucky person could achieve what Allaah did not prescribe for him, or that only his luck can bring him benefits and repel from him harms, then this is something rejected by texts [Quran and Sunnah] reason, and reality.

It is confirmed that the Prophet said: "O Allaah, none can prevent what You have willed to bestow and none can bestow what You have willed to prevent, and no wealth or majesty can benefit anyone, as from You is all wealth and majesty." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim].

Allaah Knows best.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Nicely put; Masha'Allah

Assalamu alaikum Brother,

No good or bad and no benefit or harm will happen to a person except with Allaah's Will and Predestination. Testifying and believing in this is one of the pillars of faith, and without it the faith will not be valid. Saying that a specific person is lucky or saying 'good luck' does not negate this belief. The luck is included in Allaah's Will and Decree. Indeed this term is mentioned in the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of the Prophet . Allaah Says (what means): {So he came out before his people in his adornment. Those who desired the worldly life said, ‘Oh, would that we had like what was given to Qarun. Indeed, he is one of great fortune.” }[Quran 28:79].

So there is no contradiction between luck and the belief in Allaah's Decree and Predestination. The person's luck or portion in something is predestined by Allaah. However, believing that a lucky person could achieve what Allaah did not prescribe for him, or that only his luck can bring him benefits and repel from him harms, then this is something rejected by texts [Quran and Sunnah] reason, and reality.

It is confirmed that the Prophet said: "O Allaah, none can prevent what You have willed to bestow and none can bestow what You have willed to prevent, and no wealth or majesty can benefit anyone, as from You is all wealth and majesty." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim].

Allaah Knows best.