Hadith about Abu Bakr being reviled...

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

There is a popular hadith about Abu Bakr (ra) being reviled by a man, and when he took it quietly the Prophet s.a.w. was sitting listening with a smile on his face. But when Abu Bakr replied to the man (presumably in anger) the Prophet s.a.w. got up and left. When Abu Bakr asked why he left, the Prophet s.a.w. said that when Abu Bakr was listening to the man there was an angel at his shoulder, but when he replied the angel was replaced by a devil.

Can someone tell me where I can find this full hadith? Is it Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi etc...? Thank you!

I tried to Google it; but unfortunately if you type in "Hadith about Abu Bakr being reviled" what you get nowadays is a thousand sites with the words "hadith","Abu", "Bakr", and "reviled" - in other words, a thousand sites about Shia garbage.

I appreciate any help, jazakAllah khairyn
D.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum, it's in Sunnah abu Dawud!

Book 41, Number 4878:
Narrated Sa'id ibn al-Musayyab:

While the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) was sitting with some of his companions, a man reviled AbuBakr and insulted him. But AbuBakr remained silent. He insulted him twice, but AbuBakr controlled himself. He insulted him thrice and AbuBakr took revenge on him. Then the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) got up when AbuBakr took revenge.

AbuBakr said: Were you angry with me, Apostle of Allah?

The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) replied: An angel came down from Heaven and he was rejecting what he had said to you. When you took revenge, a devil came down. I was not going to sit when the devil came down.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/search.html

That link is a very good way to search for ahadiths! :D
hope this helps!

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Wa aleikum salaam waRahmatulaah,

I see which hadith you're talking about, let me have a look; I'll get back to you as soon as possible inshallaah. Jazakallaah Kheir

DanyalSAC

Book 41, Number 4878:

While the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) was sitting with some of his companions, a man reviled AbuBakr and insulted him. But AbuBakr remained silent. He insulted him twice, but AbuBakr controlled himself. He insulted him thrice and AbuBakr took revenge on him. Then the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) got up when AbuBakr took revenge.

The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) replied: An angel came down from Heaven and he was rejecting what he had said to you. When you took revenge, a devil came down. I was not going to sit when the devil came down.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/search.html

hope this helps!

Thank you!
JazakAllah khairyn :)

explorertruth

Thank you

Book 41, Number 4878:

hope this helps!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you sister