"The hand of fatimah"

alf2

Islam is a way of life
A friend of mine was going to buy me a gift from her local Islamic Store, she is a new revert alhamdulilah, and still has a lot to learn about Islam. She showed me the gift before she got it, it was a necklace with the "hand of Fatimah" on it, the shop-owner said to protect the wearer of the "evil eye"

First of all, isnt this Bidah? To depend on anything but Allah (swt) for our saftey?

Anyway, I am sure you all have seen this symbol, it is a hand with an EYE in the middle. When I saw the pendant, I was like...I have seen this before...SURE ENOUGH, It is a symbol which pre-dates Islam! It refers to an ancient Middle Eastern goddess whose hand wards off the evil eye.

It is common to see this symbol on the shops of fortune tellers, tarot card readers, and palm readers here in America...I knew it was familiar :astag:

Why in the heck is this in an Islamic store!?!
Has anyone else encountered this symbol claiming it to be in Islam???

Insha'Allah we can all stay on the Straight Path...​

kayleigh

Yeah it is definitely shirk to use an amulet or something like that.

I have seen some people wear amulets or whatever to ward off the evil eye - usually that blue eye charm they use in Turkey. I think it's called nazar, or Eye of Medusa or something like that?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

This practice roots from the 'shia sect'. As mentioned above, this practice is shirk.

The Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam commanded us against using talisman, anklets, amulet etc to bring luck or to ward off harm.

It was narrated from ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani that a group came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) [to swear their allegiance (bay’ah) to him]. He accepted the bay’ah of nine of them but not of one of them. They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, you accepted the bay’ah of nine but not of this one.” He said, “He is wearing an amulet.” The man put his hand (in his shirt) and took it off, then he (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) accepted his bay’ah. He said, ‘Whoever wears an amulet has committed shirk.”

(Narrated by Ahmad, 16969)

This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 492.

Once the Mother of the Believers, `Aa'ishah, treated a child with an ulcer and she saw anklets on his legs and condemned it.

Imam al-Hakim ibn Bakr related that his mother related to him, "That she sent her brother to `Aa'ishah, he had an ulcer, as she used to treat children with ulcers. So when she treated him and came away from him she saw on his legs two new anklets, and so `Aa'ishah said, "do you think that those anklets will protect him from anything written for him by Allah? Had I seen them, I would not have treated him, and he would not have touched me! By my life! Anklets made from silver are purer than these!" [1]

[1] al-Mustadrak `ala as-Saheehayn, the Book of Medicine 4/217-218. Imam al-Hafidh said, This hadith is authentic and they did not relate it." (Previous source 4/218) and al-Hafidh adh-Dhahabi agreed with him. (See at-Talkhis 4/218)

The above quoted is taken from :- http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=456260#post456260

Mubina_91

Assalamu'3alaikum.
Thanks 4 sharing, this is rather an important issue. To rely on anything other than Allah is Shirk. And 4 every Bid'ah, u will be going astray, 4 it will be rejected.
Brothers and Sisters, beware of Shirk, whether minor or major. Allah forgives all sins, except Shirk..
We put our Trusts in Allah, and to Allah we shall return.
May Allah (swt) keep us on this straight path..
AMEEN.

sarahlou

Here is a Khutbah by Samir Abu Hamza that talks about Jinn and Magic. The reason why I am posting it is because he talks about things like that shirk necklace.
[yt]crD3jdLHCa8[/yt]
object%3E

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salamu 'Aleykum!

^^you're right Subhanallah, Masiihu-Dajjaal!

"Protect the wearer of the evil eye", Na'udhu Billah!
This reminded me of some girls back home whose parents used to tie some type of "strings" around their wrist, and they would tell them not to take it off because it "protects" them.
Subhanallah, How can anyone believe that an "object" would keep them safe?...May Allah swt purify our minds and hearts.Aameen

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum wa rahmatu-llah

definitely it is shirk...and I dont have to tell coz so many important replies are there.
to hang a talisman/lucky charm neckless/having a twine or any thing thinking that can bring luck or can protect from Jinn/evil eye......IS DEFINITELY SHIRK>
if anyone have gone through the book KITAB AT-TAWHEED by Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab, that will help to understand the things.

and Allah knows the best
wassalam alaikum

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
A friend of mine was going to buy me a gift from her local Islamic Store, she is a new revert alhamdulilah, and still has a lot to learn about Islam. She showed me the gift before she got it, it was a necklace with the "hand of Fatimah" on it, the shop-owner said to protect the wearer of the "evil eye"

First of all, isnt this Bidah? To depend on anything but Allah (swt) for our saftey?

Anyway, I am sure you all have seen this symbol, it is a hand with an EYE in the middle. When I saw the pendant, I was like...I have seen this before...SURE ENOUGH, It is a symbol which pre-dates Islam! It refers to an ancient Middle Eastern goddess whose hand wards off the evil eye.

It is common to see this symbol on the shops of fortune tellers, tarot card readers, and palm readers here in America...I knew it was familiar :astag:

Why in the heck is this in an Islamic store!?!
Has anyone else encountered this symbol claiming it to be in Islam???

Insha'Allah we can all stay on the Straight Path...​

:salam2: Sister,

You might want to explain the basics of Islaam like Tawheed and Shirk to your revert friend and then ask her to stay away from that "Islamic Shop".

:wasalam: