Islam & Animals

alf2

Islam is a way of life
When I was under the influence of my Christian enviornment, one part of Christianity I did not understand was the lack of justice to animals. It is common for them to hunt deer, turkey, squirrels, foxes and anything else that moves for NO purpose other than to stuff the dead body or hang the head as a trophy.

When I read of Muhammad's compassion to animals, and the fact Muslims DO NOT hunt for "fun" My heart was moved....Such examples as the story that he was tired, but there was a cat sleeping on his blanket. So he tore the blanket, to not disturb the cat. Alhamdulilah for such a kind act, we all may follow.

* “Whoever kills a sparrow or anything bigger than that without a just cause, God will hold him accountable on the Day of Judgment.”

* “Fear God in your treatment of animals.”

* “We were on a journey and during the Prophet’s absence, we saw a bird with its two chicks; we took them. The mother bird was circling above us in the air, beating its wings in grief. When Prophet Muhammad returned he said, “Who has hurt the feelings of this bird by taking its chicks? Return them to her.”

And of course we see this again, in the manner that meat is Halal.
Much more compassionate than how American & European companies kill meat. Please never eat un-Halal meat, if you knew how the animals died, you would weep how these creatures of Allah (swt) are killed...

This post is to reflect on the treatment of animals in Islam.
What other instances of animal treatments in Islam touch you? (Qur'an or Hadith)

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Narrated Ibn 'Umar: The Prophet said, "A woman entered the (Hell) Fire because of a cat which she had tied, neither giving it food nor setting it free to eat from the vermin of the earth." (Book #54, Hadith #535)

The Prophet(may peace be upon him/sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam),was asked if acts of charity even to the animals were rewarded by the Almighty. He replied: "Yes, there is a reward for acts of charity to every beast alive." (Narrated by Abu Huraira, Bukhari)

By the way I love pets I'd had Fishes,Turtle,Birds, Chicks and currently 3 cats.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

It *is* quite ironic how PETA and all these organizations are in a country hunting is a "pride" for many of its people..the slaughter of animals is at its most cruel and the treatment of "pets" can be at its very worst..sobhanallah!

Our neighbors have a pet dog..that they keep outside at all times..whether it's freezing or burning..that poor thing is *locked* within a cage that's probably 5 by 5 out in the backyard..he's never bathed..and is RARELY taken out of that cage for walks..and I have hardly seen them feed him..sometimes the dog moans as if he's crying (he *seriously* sounds like he's crying)..to the point where we hear him though we're inside our house..some people have no mercy in their hearts..ao'otho billah

That's why I love our deen's stance on keeping pets..it is of Allah's Mercy that our deen contains principles even regarding these creatures..no matter what their nature is..they *are* helpless and we're meant to look-out for them..and I think it's *very important* that Muslim kids are taught to be kind to animals..some Muslim parents might think it's nothing urgent..but if they think of how it would soften their kids' hearts and instill kindness in them..they would make it one of their priorities

Jazaki Allah khair and baraka Allaho feeki for bringing up a topic that not many Muslims discuss sister..I hope that our brothers and sisters heed the messages you are intending to send them

:wasalam:

Abu Talib

Feeling low
:salam2:

PETA reminds me just a day back my cousin was discussing about them saying one of their activist killed all the animals he had saved as he could not bear the burden of keeping them and due the cost of keeping them.

elysetexel

I love animals dearly. Iam very happy with this topic and that Islam takes care of the animals alhamdullilah!

island muslim

Excellent Thread

AsSalaam Alaiykum

Excellent thread sister alf. Just want to add some more info on animals... Kindness to animals is part of PIETY for sure.

"Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger (may pace be upon him) as saying: A prostitute (From among the Jews) saw a dog moving around a well on a hot day and hanging out its tongue because of thirst. She drew water for it in her shoe and she was pardoned (for this act of hers)."

Shahih hadhith Muslim Book 26, Number 5578.

"Nafi’ reported from ‘Abdullah that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: A woman was punished because she had kept a cat tied until it died, and (as a punishment of this offence) she was thrown into the Hell. She had not provided it with food, or drink, and had not freed her so that she could eat the insects of the earth."

Chapter# 37, Book 26, Number 5570

This is an excellent hadith on the JUSTICE one should have in dealing with animals.. For one ants crime, you cant punish the whole anthill! And this was Allah's command to one of the prophets (peace be upon him)

"Abu Huraira reported so many ahadith and one of them was this that Allah’ Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: When an Apostle from amongst the Apostles of Allah came to sit under a tree an ant bit him. He commanded his luggage to be removed from under the tree and he commanded it to be burnt in the fire and Allah revealed to him:” Why one ant (which had bitten you) was not killed (and why did you burn the others)?"
Book 26, Number 5569

Also did you ever count how many Surahs of the Qur'an are named after animals? :D
Here:
The Cow (surah 2)
The Cattle (surah 6)
The Bee (surah 16)
The Ant (surah 27)
The Spider (surah 29)
The Elephant (surah 105).

Thus we see that Islam sanctifies life in all its aspects, omitting nothing from its embrace.

May Allah bestow on us his mercy for everytime we are merciful to animals.