The Key to True Love - An Islamic Perspective

farhopes

No God but Allah
The Key to True Love - An Islamic Perspective

Despite the appreciation we all have for the feelings of love......and even though love mostly becomes the idol of this age to which incense is burnt and sacrifices are offered by youths' blood and from men's reputations....despite the chants that are recited, and the drums that are beaten and the pipes that are blown for love....and the cinema and television that are devoted to glorify and raise it to the throne to be the first idol, the primary aim, the sole concern, the sole object and the necessary purpose of life without which life is not life...........

Although we all are either perpetrators or victims of love, and there is none of us except he is afflicted by a wound or an arrow or a burning from love, or he hurt others by an arrow, or a wound or a burning.

In spite of that extreme importance and absolute precedence of love, I ask for your permission to think again and to contemplate for a while in an effort to understand that maze in which we all wander.

I ask myself first, and then I ask you: Do you know why love is always associated with pain, and why it ends up with tears and disappointments?
Let me try to answer this question: love is always coupled with desire. You can not love a woman without desiring her. For this the compassionate and gentle breezes of love soon intermix with flesh, blood and human nature to turn into wind, storm and hurricane. That is when flesh and bones melt in a kiln of overwhelming desire and temporary pleasure which almost ignites to extinguish.
Should I say that love implies a hidden cruelty and veiled aggression? Yes, it does; if it is tinted with lust, and it must be according to human nature.

Moreover, when a woman feels that a man seizes (takes over) her soul, she, in turn, tries to take away his soul and seize it. Here there is a hidden mutual aggression although it takes the form of love.

The only time that love is mentioned in the Noble Qur'an is in the story of the Aziz's wife, (the wife of a minister or a great man in old Egypt), when she felt violent love for her slave (Prophet Joseph PBUH). When Prophet Joseph abstained from committing adultery with her and would not give in to her seduction, she asked her husband to imprison and torture him when he entered suddenly while she was trying to seduce Joseph.
"She said: "What is the (fitting) punishment for one who formed an evil design against thy wife, but prison or a grievous chastisement?" (Yusuf, 12: 25)

Moreover, while relating her love story to her friends, she said, "I did seek to seduce him from his (true) self but he did firmly save himself guiltless!....and now, if he doth not my bidding, he shall certainly be cast into prison, and (what is more) be of the company of the vilest!" (Yousuf: 12:32)

The violence of her love was accompanied with cruelty, imprisonment and torture. On the other hand, Yousuf said, "O my Lord! The prison is more to my liking than that to which they invite me…" (12:33)

That is because he realized by his insight that love is a prison, and lust is a shackle which grabs the man's neck until death if he surrenders to it. Joseph believed that staying in prison for some years is more merciful than submitting to lust which is a lifetime of imprisonment.

Love cannot remain pure, fluttering and transparent; it soon, due to human nature, turns to be a part of a trinity which is: love, sex and cruelty. It is a cohesive trinity which sticks together forever.

The story of love mixed with lust soon comes to an end in few minutes; that is after the two parties have sexual satisfaction. After that, they both feel weariness, boredom and the desire for a new lover to reignite the lust and curiosity again. That is why love soon crumbles to be doubt; when this occurs, each party then suspects the treachery of the other. This in turn leads to more doubt, suspicion, cruelty and jealousy. Thus love turns out to be misery, pains, tears and hurting.

Love is hardly ever detached from this trinity; (love, sex and cruelty). That is why it is always destined to frustration and disappointment, and doomed to fluctuate from one extreme to the opposite. Thus love apostatizes to be enmity and hatred, passions suffer hundred times a day and that is the essence of agony.

That is why this trinity can never be the basis of marriage nor building a family. It is not valid to establish the constant close ties between the two sexes.
It is from the signs of the greatness and the miraculous nature of the Noble Qur'an that when it speaks about marriage, love was not mentioned; instead it mentioned cordiality and mercy. That is the tranquillity and comfort that souls of married couples feel with each others. That is when marriage is established on mercy instead of love, and cordiality instead of lust.

"And among His Signs is this that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put cordiality and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect."(30:21)

It is cordiality and mercy which are the keys of marital life.
Mercy necessarily contains love, but love does not have mercy. Love may turn, with lust, to be aggression.
Mercy is more profound, purer and clearer than love. It is a sublime and compound human sense as it includes love, sacrifice, tolerance, compassion, forgiveness and generosity.

We all, due to human nature, are able to love; however, only very few people can have true mercy. And among thousands of granules, there may be only one who has mercy, while the rest are seekers of love, euphoria and pleasure.

That is why the book of eternal wisdom which descended to us from Allah (SWT) reminded us that marriage is about mercy, cordiality and tranquility. With no mention of one word about love, thus The Noble Qur’an destroyed the idol of this era such as it had destroyed the idols of al-Ka’ba in the old days.

Those who have vast experience of life and women know the depth and truthfulness of those words descended in the Qur’an.
There is neither confiscation of love in those Quranic words nor cancellation of lust, but they are to confirm that making love and lust without a frame of mercy, cordiality and legitimacy is just futility that must end to frustration.

Animals can make love and practice lust and courtship. Man alone is distinguished by this frame of cordiality, mercy and compassion. That is because man can overcome his desires; that is when he fasts and resists hunger and sticks to chastity while he has strong desire.

Mercy and compassion is not weakness, but rather is the utmost power because it is overcoming animalism and the darkness of lust.

Mercy is the light and lust is the fire. People of mercy are those who have light, serenity and magnificence, and they are truly dignified.

Moreover, cruelty is cowardice while mercy is courage. Mercy and compassion are the characters of every courageous, generous and noble person. Moreover, those who are possessed by retaliation have nothing but trivia, shabbiness and wretchedness.

Mercy and compassion are the seal of paradise on the foreheads of the happy elite from the people of Earth. You can know them by their mark, their character and their light.

Signs of a merciful person are calmness, serenity, tolerance, open-mindedness, patience, gentleness, self-examination before rushing into reactions, abstaining from fighting for immediate gains and self benefit, refraining from bearing a grudge, controlling desire, pensiveness, love of silence and enjoying solitude. That is because the merciful person has light inside himself that makes him feel comfortable despite being alone; that is because he is in constant dialogue with Allah, and permanent ease with creation.

Merciful people are few; they are the pillars of universe and its stakes by which Allah saves the Earth and what is on it.

The Day of Judgment will come only when hearts run out of mercy, when grudges and undignified materialism prevail; when desires control people, then the structure of the Earth will collapse and be demolished completely.

O, my Lord, I ask for your mercy
I ask for everlasting cordiality
I ask for a compassionate partner and a kind heart
O, my Lord, there is no mercy except with You, from You and towards You

Dr. Mustafe Mahmoud
Translated by: Amany el-Morshidy (farhopes)
Edited by: Catherine Gallgher

بالرغم من قيمة مشاعر الحب عندي و عندكم معاشر القراء و القارئات ، و بالرغم من أن الحب يكاد يكون صنم هذا العصر الذي يُحرق له البخور ،

و يُقدم له الشباب القرابين من دمائهم ، و يُقدم له الشيوخ القرابين من سمعتهم ، و تُرتل له الأناشيد ، و يُزمر له الزامر ، و يُطبل الطبال ، و ترقص الراقصة ، و تعمل بلاتوهات السينما و ستوديوهات التليفزيون ، و كباريهات شارع الهرم ليل نهار لتمجيده و رفعه على العرش ، ليكون المعبود الأول و المقصود الأول ، و الشاغل الأوحد و الهدف الأوحد و الغاية المثلى للحياة التي بدونها لا تكون الحياة حياة .
و بالرغم من أننا جميعا جناة أو ضحايا لهذا الحب ، و ليس فينا إلا من أصابه جرح أو سهم أو حرق ، أو أصاب غيره بجرح أو سهم أو حرق .

بالرغم من هذه الأهمية القصوى ، و الصدارة المطلقة لموضوع الحب في هذا الزمان ، فإني أستأذنكم في إعادة نظر و في وقفة تأمل ، و في محاولة فهم لهذا التيه الذي نتيه فيه جميعا شيوخا و شبابا و صبايا .

و أسأل نفسي أولا و أسألكم :

هل تعلمون لماذا يرتبط الحب دائما بالألم ، و لماذا ينتهي بالدموع و خيبة الآمال ؟!

دعوني أحاول الإجابة فأقول : إن الحب و الرغبة قرينان .. و إنه لا يمكن أن تحب امرأة دون أن ترغبها ، و لهذا ما تلبث نسمات الحب الرفافة الحنون أن تمازج الدم و اللحم ، و الجبلة البشرية فتتحول إلى ريح و إعصار و زوبعة ، حيث ينصهر اللحم و العظم في أتون من الشهوة العارمة ، و اللذة الوقتية التي ما تكاد تشتعل حتى تنطفئ .

هل أقول إن الحب يتضمن قسوة خفية ، و عدوانا مستترا ؟.

نعم هو كذلك إذا اصطبغ بالشهوة ، و هو لابد أن يتلون بالشهوة بحكم البشرية .

و المرأة التي تشعر أن الرجل استولى على روحها ، تحاول هي الأخرى أن تنزع روحه و تستولي عليها .. و في ذلك عدوان خفي متبادل، و إن كان يأخذ شكل الحب.

و المرة الوحيدة التي جاء فيها ذكر الحب في القرآن هي قصة امرأة العزيز التي شغفها فتاها ( يوسف ) حبّا.

فماذا فعلت امرأة العزيز حينما تعفف يوسف الصدّيق؟ و ماذا فعلت حينما دخل عليهما الزوج؟ لقد طالبت بإيداع يوسف السجن و تعذيبه.

(( قَالَتْ مَا جَزَاء مَنْ أَرَادَ بِأَهْلِكَ سُوَءًا إِلاَّ أَن يُسْجَنَ أَوْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ (25) )) ( يوسف )

و ماذا قالت لصاحباتها و هي تروي قصة حبها؟

(( وَلَقَدْ رَاوَدتُّهُ عَن نَّفْسِهِ فَاسَتَعْصَمَ وَلَئِن لَّمْ يَفْعَلْ مَا آمُرُهُ لَيُسْجَنَنَّ وَلَيَكُونًا مِّنَ الصَّاغِرِينَ (32) )) ( يوسف )

إن عنف حبها اقترن عندها بالقسوة و السجن و التعذيب.

و ماذا قال يوسف الصدّيق؟

(( قَالَ رَبِّ السِّجْنُ أَحَبُّ إِلَيَّ مِمَّا يَدْعُونَنِي إِلَيْهِ (33) )) ( يوسف )

لأنه أدرك ببصيرته أن الحب سجن، و أن الشهوة قيد إذا استسلم له الرجل أطبق على عنقه حتى الموت.. و رأى أن مكثه في السجن عدة سنوات، أرحم من الخضوع للشهوة التي هي سجن مؤبد إلى آخر الحياة.

إن الحب لا يظل حبا صافيا رفافا شفافا، و إنما ما يلبث بحكم الجبلة البشرية أن يصبح جزءا من ثالوث هو: الحب و الجنس و القسوة، و هو ثالوث متلاحم يقترن بعضه ببعض على الدوام.

و لأن قصة الحب التي خالطتها الشهوة ما تلبث أن تنتهي إلى الإشباع في دقائق، ثم بعد ذلك يأتي التعب و الملل و الرغبة عند الإثنين في تغيير الطبق، و تجديد الصنف لإشعال الشهوة و الفضول من جديد.. لهذا ما يلبث أن يتداعى الحب إلى شك في كل طرف من غدر الطرف الآخر.. و هذا بدوره يؤدي إلى مزيد من الارتياب و التربص و القسوة و الغيرة، و هكذا يتحول الحب إلى تعاسة و آلام و دموع و تجريح.

و الحب لا يكاد ينفك أبدا عن هذا الثالوث.. (( الحب و الجنس و القسوة )).. و هو لهذا مقضى عليه بالإحباط و خيبة الأمل، و محكوم عليه بالتقلب من الضد إلى الضد، و من النقيض إلى النقيض.. فيرتد الحب عداوة و ينقلب كراهية و تنتحر العواطف كل يوم مائة مرة.. و ذلك هو عين العذاب.

و لهذا لا يصلح هذا الثالوث أن يكون أساسا لزواج.. و لا يصلح لبناء البيوت، و لا يصلح لإقامة الوشائج الثابتة بين الجنسين.

و من دلائل عظمة القرآن و إعجازه أنه حينما ذكر الزواج، لم يذكر الحب و إنما ذكر المودة و الرحمة و السكن.

سكن النفوس بعضها إلى بعض.
و راحة النفوس بعضها إلى بعض.
و قيام الرحمة و ليس الحب.. و المودة و ليس الشهوة.

(( وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ أَنْ خَلَقَ لَكُم مِّنْ أَنفُسِكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا لِّتَسْكُنُوا إِلَيْهَا وَجَعَلَ بَيْنَكُم مَّوَدَّةً وَرَحْمَةً )) ( الروم – 21 )

إنها الرحمة و المودة.. مفتاح البيوت.

و الرحمة تحتوي على الحب بالضرورة.. و الحب لا يشتمل على الرحمة، بل يكاد بالشهوة أن ينقلب عدوانا.

و الرحمة أعمق من الحب و أصفى و أطهر.
و الرحمة عاطفة إنسانية راقية مركبة، ففيها الحب، و فيها التضحية، و فيها إنكار الذات، و فيها التسامح، و فيها العطف، و فيها العفو، و فيها الكرم.

و كلنا قادرون على الحب بحكم الجبلة البشرية.
و قليل منا هم القادرون على الرحمة.
و بين ألف حبيبة هناك واحدة يمكن أن ترحم، و الباقي طالبات هوى و نشوة و لذة.

و لذلك جاء كتاب الحكمة الأزلية الذي تنزل علينا من الحق.. يذكرنا عند الزواج بالرحمة و المودة و السكن.. و لم يذكر كلمة واحدة عن الحب، محطما بذلك صنم العصر و معبوده الأول، كما حطم أصنام الكعبة من قديم.

و الذين خبروا الحياة و باشروا حلوها و مرّها، و تمرسوا بالنساء يعرفون مدى عمق و أصالة و صدق هذه الكلمات المنزلة.

و ليس في هذه الكلمات مصادرة للحب، أو إلغاء للشهوة و إنما هي توكيد، و بيان بأن ممارسة الحب و الشهوة بدون إطار من الرحمة و المودة و الشرعية هو عبث لابد أن ينتهي إلى الإحباط.

و الحيوانات تمارس الحب و الشهوة و تتبادل الغزل.
و إنما الإنسان وحده هو الذي امتاز بهذا الإطار من المودة و الرحمة و الرأفة، لأنه هو وحده الذي استطاع أن يستعلي على شهواته؛ فيصوم و هو جائع و يتعفف و هو مشتاق.

و الرحمة ليست ضعفا و إنما هي غاية القوة، لأنها استعلاء على الحيوانية و البهيمية و الظلمة الشهوانية.

الرحمة هي النور و الشهوة هي النار.
و أهل الرحمة هم أهل النور و الصفاء و البهاء، و هم الوجهاء حقا.

و القسوة جبن و الرحمة شجاعة.
و لا يؤتى الرحمة إلا كل شجاع كريم نبيل.
و لا يشتغل بالانتقام و التنكيل إلا أهل الصغار و الخسة و الوضاعة.

و الرحمة هي خاتم الجنة على جباه السعداء الموعودين من أهل الأرض.. تعرفهم بسيماهم و سمتهم و وضاءتهم.

و علامة الرحيم هي الهدوء و السكينة و السماحة، و رحابة الصدر، و الحلم و الوداعة و الصبر و التريث، و مراجعة النفس قبل الاندفاع في ردود الأفعال، و عدم التهالك على الحظوظ العاجلة و المنافع الشخصية، و التنزه عن الغل و ضبط الشهوة، و طول التفكير و حب الصمت و الائتناس بالخلوة و عدم الوحشة من التوحد، لأن الرحيم له من داخله نور يؤنسه، و لأنه في حوار دائم مع الحق، و في بسطة دائمة مع الخلق.

و الرحماء قليلون، و هم أركان الدنيا و أوتادها التي يحفظ بها الله الأرض و من عليها.
و لا تقوم القيامة إلا حينما تنفد الرحمة من القلوب، و يتفشى الغلّ، و تسود المادية الغليظة، و تنفرد الشهوات بمصير الناس، فينهار بنيان الأرض و تتهدم هياكلها من القواعد.

اللهم إني أسألك رحمة..
اللهم إني أسألك مودة تدوم..
اللهم إني أسألك سكنا عطوفا و قلبا طيبا..
اللهم لا رحمة إلا بك و منك و إليك..

المصدر : كتاب (( عصر القرود ))
للدكتور مصطفى محمود

Attachments

• 25793_364390846673_627856673_4161397_46011_n.jpg
    25793_364390846673_627856673_4161397_46011_n.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,086

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It is such a blessing to see you on line here. Alhumdullila sweet sister.

safiya58

:salam2:
I don´t agree with that! love means mercy doesn´t it...??? we are human beeings and it is our natur that we want appreciation from others. because we need it! only Allah is selfsufficent to Himself.... He does not depent on anyone and anything! But we do! Love Allah and love for His sake and if you hate than also hate for His sake...
:wasalam:

farhopes

No God but Allah
I don´t agree with that! love means mercy doesn´t it...??? we are human beeings and it is our natur that we want appreciation from others. because we need it! only Allah is selfsufficent to Himself.... He does not depent on anyone and anything! But we do! Love Allah and love for His sake and if you hate than also hate for His sake...

Wa alikom assalam, sister

I respect your opinion...I am just afraid that your comment made me think that you need to read the article again to its end...

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Asalamu alaykum

Masha Allah sister. It is very beautiful. Jazak Allahu khayra for sharing.:) May Allah ta'ala increase your knowledge for you and make it be a benefit to you and may your knoweldge be benefit to us ameen Ya Rabana :tti_sister:

wasalam

farhopes

No God but Allah
Asalamu alaykum

Masha Allah sister. It is very beautiful. Jazak Allahu khayra for sharing.:) May Allah ta'ala increase your knowledge for you and make it be a benefit to you and may your knoweldge be benefit to us ameen Ya Rabana :tti_sister:

wasalam

Barak Allahu fiki, dear sister....Jazaki Allahu khairan for your Du'a:)

sis khadidja

proud to be muslim
:salam2: since i am not really a dr or something !! but i just don't agree it's very beautiful script i agree but not all true ...to my understading of this text is that marrige is really mercy i mean you have to love the man you marry that dosen't mean my love for him is plain desire that's all ....to my understanding of love it's mercy i mean i know jelousy is normal evryone is jelous to see the man she loves next to another women or a women you love next to another man it dosent mean that i am cruel because of that!! i just really find that hard to agree with!! if you think i dont understand sis will you try to elp me then?!!:blackhijab:

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamualikum.
I am not sure if I would agree with your thread.Allah knows.

A few would like to point out,love and lust are two different things.What you described is true especially true for disbelievers.

Let me describe what love is from Islamic perpective.

Love is a wonderful gift from Allah The Exalted.The purest love is the love between Allah and you/between Allah and I.

Love can be dangerous and ugly if it is contaminated with satan's desire.

Always love everything and evryone FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH ALONE.How can a love for the sake of Allah be ugly?

Do not love anything or anyone more than the love for Allah as that is shirk.Everything has limits.Do not go beyond the boundaries even if it is the love between husband and wife.

In marriage love doesn't come by itself except when you have your great foundation
  • RESPECT
  • TOLERANCE
  • FORGIVENESS
Love is something that cannot be forced.
We do not loose anyone as we do not own anyone.

Love in dunya is temperoray so only love everything for the sake of Allah.In sha Allah the eternal love is in Jannah.

I am not here for debate so please never debate.We cannot generalise the term love.

Allah knows the best.
Assalamualikum.

rayray

Assalamualikum.
I am not sure if I would agree with your thread.Allah knows.

A few would like to point out,love and lust are two different things.What you described is true especially true for disbelievers.

Let be describe what love is from Islamic perpective.

Love is a wonderful gift from Allah The Exalted.The purest love is the love between Allah and you/between Allah and I.

Love can be dangerous and ugly if it is contaminated with satan's desire.

Always love everything and evryone FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH ALONE.How can a love for the sake of Allah be ugly?

Do not love anything or anyone more than the love for Allah as that is shirk.Everything has limits.Do not go beyon the boundaries even if it is the love between husband and wife.

In marriage love doesn't come by itself except when you have your great foundation
  • RESPECT
  • TOLERANCE
  • FORGIVENESS
Love is something that cannot be forced.
We do not loose anyone as we do not own anyone.

Love in dunya is temperoray so only love everything for the sake of Allah.In sha Allah the eternal love is in Jannah.

I am not here for debate so please never debate.We cannot generalise the term love.

Allah knows the best.
Assalamualikum.

I find this wise :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sisters why do you not see what is written.

This is simply saying we have the best examples of love in Islam. Islamic marriage is the truest expression of love because it is the real thing.

The author wants a spouse that will reflect his or her love for Allah subhana talla.

And in every kind of love there is pain.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

That was an interesting read..but for some reason..I think that if the author's name was to be taken off..I'd read this article and think "wow, major heartbreak aftermath!"..

The author talks about the concept of *hob* (love)..and I am grasping what he's trying to communicate through the article..in other words he does make sense..but I think in his *wording choice* and *understanding* he took his message off track by speaking so harshly about *love*..*all* of love in that manner..

Perhaps if he spoke about the concept of *'Ishq* (infatuation) or he talked about *lust* on its own..he would've hit the spot with the message..and everything he said would've harvested a lot more positive responses..but I honestly (and I mean no offense in this) find his perspective a little too biased and narrow..for many reasons..some of which I will discuss below Inshallah..

Love *altogether* is always made a taboo by many Muslims due to their direct and indirect exposure to many "stories" about love..and I think that's incredibly wrongful..in that..the only love we Muslims reject is that of infatuation and/or lust..or the kind "contaminated by shaitan's desire" as sister revert2007 put it mashallah..other than that..love at its pure form..accompanied with noble intentions..is acknowledged in Islam..

After all didn't Rasulullah (salla Allaho 'alayhi wassalam) say:

"لم ير للمتحابين مثل النكاح"

"For those who like each other, nothing has proven as good as marriage." [Recorded by Ibn Majah, Al-Haakim, and others. Verified as Sahih by Al-Albani]

And in the translation the terms "like each other" is used..but if you want to translate literally..you'd have to write "love each other"

In another instance Rasulullah said:

"تزوجوا الودود الولود فأني مكاثر بكم"

"Marry the woman who is loving and can bear many children, for I will boast of your numbers (on the Day of Resurrection)." [Recorded by Muslim, Bukhari, and others]

And he ('alayhi assalat wassalam) went further and said in another instance..describing *the best of women*:

"خير نسائكم الولود الودود المواسية المواتية اذا اتقين الله"

"The best of your women are those who are bearers of many children, loving (to their husbands), comforting, and tolerant. Provided that they have fear of Allah." [Recorded by Al-Bayhaqi and others. Verified as Sahih by Al-Albani]

This is not to say..that we can read these hadiths and go *wild* with our emotions..but these hadiths are a mere reminder that *love*..*can* exist..and lucky for *us* Muslims..Islam draws out its *limitations* and *conclusion* alhamdulillah..

And even in the life of Rasulullah we have an example of a love..dripping with beauty..and that is the love of Rasulullah to our mother Aisha (radhiya Allaho 'anha wa 'ardhaha)..whom he ('alayhi assalat wassalam) loved so dearly..that no one doubted it..and even he ('alayhi assalat wassalam) was not hesitant to express his love to her or mention it to others..

We see this when 'Amr bin Al-'Aas asked Rasulullah once:

"Who is the most beloved person to you?". He ('alayhi assalat wassalam) simply said:

"Aisha"

[From the hadith in Sahih Bukhari: Narrated 'Amr bin Al-As: The Prophet deputed me to read the Army of Dhat-as-Salasil. I came to him and said, "Who is the most beloved person to you?" He said, " 'Aisha." I asked, "Among the men?" He said, "Her father." I said, "Who then?" He said, "Then 'Umar bin Al-Khattab." He then named other men.]

And the question is very clear..'Amr (radhiya Allaho 'anh)..didn't ask:

"Who is the person you're most *merciful* to?"..

He asked:

"Who is the most *beloved* person to you?"

So once again..love itself..*is* acknowledged..and this is why..we cannot dismiss love or antagonize it..only because we hear or witness painful stories..

And if you notice ghafara Allaho laki..in all instances..mercy was not mentioned..because mercy cannot exist between a husband and a wife if *love* or in the minimum of levels *harmony* didn't exist between them!..I agree that mercy is a sentiment inherent in many humans..but if mercy (the component which the author focused on and passed as *the* sentiment to act upon) was a *vehicle*..then *love* (the component he passes off as a well of lust and an idol like those of jahiliyyah) is its *steering wheel* rahimaki Allah..and the path we *steer* this vehicle upon is that of *Islamic morals*..so alhamdulillah so long we have *taqwa* what our hearts feel cannot be dubbed as *lust* or lead to *cruelty*

Also..the reason why I only quoted hadiths is because the author seemed to have disregarded them..and decided to simply refer to a few verses from The Qura'an..and this is not to say that he erred in doing so..ao'otho billah..but I think it is established already..that some things which are *not* directly addressed in The Qura'an or are mentioned in general outlines..many times have *direct* and/or *supplementary* details in The Sunnah wa li Allahi al-hamd..thus..it's important that *the two* sources are researched before a conclusion can be made..

Hatha wallahu adra wa'alam

farhopes

No God but Allah
I am afraid I do not agree with you, sister a_muslimah86.
The Author by choosing the concept "love" is expressing the term that is widely used when talking about those feelings of being infatuated by love. He just chose the word that all people on earth use. However, he could very well show the profound difference between love when it is tinted by desire and lust and love when it is accompanied with mercy and cordiality.

In the Ahadith you mentioned, I am definitely sure that the love mentioned there is the love which is accompanied with mercy and compassion as mentioned in the Noble Qur'an. However, the Prophet PBUH chose the concept that all people on earth use. However, the Prophet PBUH was referring to mercy and cordiality mentioned in the Qur'an.

The idea of the article is so clear, wise and very insightful. I am really sorry that some could not get this profound thought.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu alaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Baarak Allah feekh dear sister for your article, but I need to say with all due respect to the author of the article, that I did not like some things written here, SubhanAllah. Maybe I have misunderstood it, but I red in the same line the words " love" and crulity", and I do not understand why is that. Our beloved Prophet Mohammed sallahu alayha wa salam was the best of all man kinds, and he thought us Islamic perpective of meaning of " love". Our beloved ResulAllah s.a.w.s used to show his love towerd his wifes r.a. , Sahabahs r.a. , his children,parents, and love towerd Allah the most. Because love is from Allah, and is natural feelings of human beings. Allah Almighty say that we should love each others for His sake, and from love are all good things, because it makes hearts more soft, and Allah loves more soft than hard hearts. Mercy is part of love, the same like compassion, that all includes love.

And Allah subhan we teala and His Messanger s.a.w.s knows the best.

May Allah guide us all.