Respecting our Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah
Respecting our Differences

Waste no time debating what a good Muslim should be. Be One!

by Muhammad Alshareef
Imam Malik one day entered the Masjid after Asr. Towards the front of Masjid An-Nabawee he drew closer and sat down. Rasul Allah had commanded that anyone who enters the Masjid should not sit until he first prays 2 rakas as a salutation of the Masjid. Imam Malik was of the opinion however that Rasul Allah's forbiddance of praying after Asr took precedence and so he would teach his students to not pray the tahiyyatul Masjid if they entered between the Asr and Maghrib time.

At that moment that Imam Malik sat down, a young boy had seen him sit without first praying the 2 raka's of Tahiyyatul Masjid. The young boy scorned him, "Get up and pray 2 rakas!"

Imam Malik dutifully stood up once again and began praying the 2 rakas. The students sat stunned: What was going on? Had Imam Malik's opinion changed?

After he had completed the salah, the students swarmed around and questioned his actions. Imam Malik said, "My opinion has not changed, nor have I gone back on what I taught you earlier. I merely feared that had I not prayed the 2 rakas as the young boy commanded, Allah may include me in the Ayah...

"And when it is said to them, 'Bow (in prayer)', they do not bow." - al mursalat 77/48.

Imam Ahmad held the opinion that eating camel meat nullifies ones Wudhu, an opinion that the majority of scholars differed from. Some students asked him, "If you find an Imam eating camel meat in front of you and - without first making Wudu - then leads the Salah, would you pray behind him?" Imam Ahmad replied, "Do you think I would not pray behind the likes of Imam Malik and Sa'eed ibn Al-Musayyab?"

Allah created humans with differences. It is the law of creation. Different tongues, different colors, different cultures...all that on the outside. On the inside, humans were created with many degrees of knowledge, intellect, and comprehension of concepts. This is all a sign of Allah's all encompassing power to do whatever He wills:

"And among His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colors: verily in that are signs for those who know." [30:22]

Humans shall differ, that is not the issue. The issue is: How as a Muslim should one confront these differences of opinions and what should be our relationship with someone of a different opinion.

Allah ta'ala commanded us to call and advise people in this Deen of Al-Islam. Many Muslims set off on this mission blindfolded, not realizing that the map was there in the Qur'an also. In fact, in the very same verse where Allah commanded us to call and advise people in this Deen, Allah taught us how to do it. Read the following verse carefully:

"Invite (fi'l Amr - Allah is commanding) to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction and argue with them in a way that is best! " - Surah An-Nahl 16/125.

There is no need to philosophize. No need to talk in the flower gardens. It is right there, plain and simple for anyone who would take heed.

There in that Ayah are the three ingredients to apply when we disagree with someone. The same Allah that taught us to debate the truth, taught us how to do it:

1 - With Hikmah (wisdom)
2 - With good instruction, and
3 - To argue in a way that is best.

What does it mean to have Hikmah when differing with someone? The grandsons of Rasul Allah(saw) once set one of the most beautiful examples of Hikmah in advising others. Al-Hasan and Al-Husayn - in their young age - once saw a senior man performing Wudu incorrectly. Together they arranged a plan to teach the man without insulting him, advising him in a manner befitting of his age.

Together they went to the senior and announced, "My brother and I have differed over who amongst us performs Wudu the best. Would you mind being the judge to determine which one of us indeed performs Wudu more correctly."

The man watched intently as the two grandsons of Rasul Allah performed Wudu in an explicit manner. After they had completed, he thanked them and said, "By Allah, I did not know how to perform Wudu before this. You have both taught me how to do it correctly."

We must understand that there are two dimensions to Hikmah. Firstly, there is the Hikmah of knowledge - Hikmah Ilmiyyah. And secondly, there is the Hikmah of Action - Hikmah Amaliyyah.

Some people may have Hikmah of knowledge. But we see that when they try correcting others, advising them, they lack the Hikmah of Action. This causes many a common folk to reject the Hikmah of knowledge.

To illustrate this hikmah of knowledge without Hikmah of action, a brother once completed the Salah in a local Masjid and then proceeded to shake hands with the people on his right and left. The brother to his immediate right slapped his hand and snapped, "That is not part of the Sunnah!" The man replied most correctly, "Oh, is disrespect and insult part of the Sunnah?"

To show Hikmah when we differ requires the following:

Sincerity

One: If we differ, our intentions should be that we are differing in the sincere hope of coming away with the truth. Our intentions should be sincere to Allah.

We should not differ just to release some hate or envy in our heart. We should not differ to embarrass someone like we may have been embarrassed.

Rasul Allah said, "Whoever learns knowledge - knowledge from that which should be sought for the sake of Allah - only to receive a commodity of the material world, he shall not find the fragrance of jannah on the day of resurrection." - An authentic hadith narrated by Abu Dawood in Kitab Al-Ilm.

Kindness and Gentleness

Two: To have Hikmah when differing means we should rarely depart from an atmosphere of kindness and gentleness, we should seldom allow ourselves to become angry and raise our voices.

Fir'own (Pharaoh) was one of the evilest people that lived. Musa was one of the noblest. Look at how Allah told Musa to advise Fir'own...

"Go, both of you, to Fir'own. Indeed, he has transgressed. And speak to him with gentle speech, perhaps he may remember or fear (Allah)."

A man once entered upon the Khalifah and chastised him for some policies he had taken. The Khalifah replied, "By Allah, Fir'own was more eviler than me. And by Allah, Musa was more pious than you. Yet, Allah commanded him...'And speak to him with gentle speech, perhaps he may remember or fear (Allah).'"

Take Your Time and Clarify

Three: To have Hikmah when dealing with others is to be patient and clarify things before snapping to conclusions.

Imam Ahmad narrates with his chain of narrators leading to Ibn Abbas who said, "A man from Bani Saleem passed by a group of the Prophet's companions. (At that time of war) The man said 'as salamu alaykum' to them. The companions concluded that he only said 'as salamu alaykum' to them as a deception to save himself from being caught. They surrounded him and Malham ibn Juthaamah killed him. From that event Allah revealed the verse...

"O you who have believed, when you go forth (to fight) in the cause of Allah, investigate, and do not say to one who gives you (a greeting of peace), "You are not a believer," Aspiring for the goods of worldly life; for with Allah are many acquisitions. You (yourselves) were like that before; then Allah conferred His favor (i.e. guidance) upon you, so investigate. Indeed, Allah is ever with what you do, acquainted." - Surah AnNisa, 4/94. From Tafseer Ibn Katheer.

Speak Kindly

Fourthly, never trade in kind words for harshness, especially when dealing with other Muslims.

Look at the power of a sincere and polite word: Mus'ab ibn Umayr was the first of ambassador of Rasul Allah in Madinah. Before Rasul Allah had arrived in Madinah, Mus'ab taught ahl al-Madinah about Islam and they began to enter the Deen.

This enraged Sa'd ibn 'Ubaadah, one of the chieftains of Madinah. He sheathed his sword and set off for the head of Mus'ab ibn 'Umayr. When he confronted Mus'ab he threatened, "Stop this nonsense you speak or you shall find yourself dead!"

Mus'ab replied in the way that should be a lesson for us all. This man before him did not stop at rudeness and ignorance, he wanted to slit his throat.

Mus'ab said, "Shall you not sit and listen for a few moments. If you agree with what I say then take it, and if not, we shall desist from this talk." Sa'd sat down.

Mus'ab spoke about Allah and His messenger until the face of Sa'd ibn Ubaadah's face shone like a full moon and he said, "What should a person do who wishes to enter into this Deen?" After Mus'ab had told him he said, "There is a man, if he accepts this Deen, there shall be no home in Madinah that will not become Muslim. Sa'd ibn Mu'aadh."

When Sa'd ibn Mu'aadh heard what was happening, he was infuriated. He left his home to go and kill this man called Mus'ab ibn Umayr for the dissention he had caused. He entered upon Mus'ab and announced, "You shall desist of this religion you speak of or you shall find yourself dead!"

Mus'ab replied, "Shall you not sit and listen for a few moments. If you agree with what I say then take it, and if not, I shall desist from this talk." Sa'd sat.

Mus'ab spoke about Allah and His messenger until the face of Sa'd ibn Mu'aadh's face shone like a full moon and he said, "What should a person do who wishes to enter into this Deen?"

Look at what a kind word did. Sa'd ibn Mu'aadh went home to his Madinan tribe that night and announced to them all, "Everything of yours is Haram upon me until you all enter into Islam."

That night, every home in Madinah went to bed with Laa ilaaha illa Allah...all because of a kind word.

Part II: Who wins?

Mu'aawiyah ibn al-Hakam al-Salami. When he came to Madeenah from the desert, he did not know that it was forbidden to speak during the salaah. He relates: "Whilst I was praying behind the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), a man sneezed, so I said 'Yarhamuk Allaah (may Allaah have mercy on you).' The people glared at me, so I said, 'May my mother lose me! What is wrong with you that you are looking at me?' They began to slap their thighs with their hands, and when I saw that they were indicating that I should be quiet, I stopped talking (i.e., I nearly wanted to answer them back, but I controlled myself and kept quiet).

When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had finished praying - may my father and mother be sacrificed for him, I have never seen a better teacher than him before or since - he did not scold me or hit me or put me to shame. He just said, 'This prayer should contain nothing of the speech of men; it is only tasbeeh and takbeer and recitation of the Qur'aan.'" (Saheeh Muslim, 'Abd al-Baaqi edn., no. 537).

Islam showed us how to differ with one another. Some people think that we should never differ at all and all disagreements should be avoided. Nay, this is an incorrect assumption, for the Qur'an and Sunnah show clearly that when a mistake is made it should be corrected. Indeed helping others do what is right is a requirement of the Deen, sincere Naseeha.

We see when Rasul Allah turned away from AbdAllah ibn Umm Maktoom, the blind man, Allah corrected him in the Qur'an...

"(The Prophet) frowned and turned away, Because there came to him the blind man But what could tell you that perchance he might become pure (from sins)? Or that he might receive admonition, and that the admonition might profit him?" - surah Abasa, 1-4

When Haatib ibn Abi Balta'ah (may Allaah be pleased with him) made the mistake of writing to the kuffaar of Quraysh and informing them of the direction in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was headed on a military campaign against them, Allaah revealed the words:

"O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies as friends..." - Surah Mumtahinah/1

And so on. Thus we learn that when a mistake happens it should be corrected. However, the method of correction is what needs our attention.

Whenever Muslims argue, it is as if each party carries a banner of: 'I must win and you must lose!' Careful study of the Sunnah however shows us that this is not always the case with the way Rasul Allah acted. Consider the following examples:

"I lose and you win!"

A Bedouin came to Rasul Allah and told him, "Give me from what Allah gave you, not from the wealth of your mother nor from the wealth of your father." The Sahaabah were furious at the man and step forward to discipline him for what he said. Rasul Allah commanded everyone to leave him.

Then by the hand, Rasul Allah took him home, opened his door and said, "Take what you wish and leave what you wish." The man did so and after he completed, Rasul Allah asked him, "Have I honored you?" "Yes, by Allah," said the Bedouin. "Ash hadu an laa ilaaha illa Allah, wa ashhadu anna Muhammadar Rasul Allah." (Meaning he embraced Islam)

When the Sahabah heard of how the man changed, Rasul Allah taught them. "Verily the example of myself, you and this Bedouin is that of a man who had his camel run away. The townspeople tried capturing the camel for him by running and shouting after the camel, only driving it further away. The man would shout, 'Leave me and my camel, I know my camel better.' Then he took some grass in his hand, ruffled it in front of the camel, until it came willingly.

'By Allah, had I left you to this Bedouin, you would have hit him, hurt him, he would have left without Islam and eventually have entered hellfire."

"I win and you lose!"

A Muslim should not have an apologetic stance to everything he is confronted with. There are times when the truth must be said, when there is no room for flattery.

When the Makhzoomi women - a women from an affluent family - stole, people approached Rasul Allah to have her punishment canceled. Rasul Allah became very angry and stood on the pulpit and announced, "By Allah, had Fatima the daughter of Muhammad stole I would have cut her hand off."

No room for flattery, the truth must be stood up for. It is here that the etiquette of disagreement that we talked earlier about should shine.

"I win and you win!"

There doesn't always have to be a loser. We see in many cases that Rasul Allah gave a way out for the people he differed with.

When he sent the letter to Caesar, he said in it, "Become Muslim and you shall be safe, Allah shall give you your reward double!"

He did not say surrender or die! Nothing of the sort. Become Muslim and you shall win, rather your victory shall be double.

I shall end with this shining example of how to act with other Muslims from our role model, Abu Bakr:

Abu Bakr once disputed with another companion about a tree. During the dispute Abu Bakr said something that he rather would not have said. He did not curse, he did not attack someone's honor, he did not poke a fault in anyone, all he said was something that may have hurt the other companion's feelings.

Immediately, Abu Bakr - understanding the mistake - ordered him, "Say it back to me!" The companion said, "I shall not say it back." "Say it back to me," said Abu Bakr, "Or I shall complain to the Messenger of Allah." The companion refused to say it back and went on his way.

Abu Bakr went to Rasul Allah and related what had happened and what he said. Rasul Allah called that companion and asked him, "Did Abu Bakr say so and so to you?" He said, "Yes." He said, "What did you reply." He said, "I did not reply it back to him." Rasul Allah said, "Good, do not reply it back to him (do not hurt Abu Bakr). Rather say, 'May Allah forgive you O Abu Bakr!'"

The Companion turned to Abu Bakr and said, "May Allah forgive you O Abu Bakr! May Allah forgive you O Abu Bakr!" Abu Bakr turned and cried as he walked away.

Let us leave today with a resolve to revive this air Rasul Allah and his companions breathed, an air of mercy and love and brotherhood.

ansari

STRANGER...
:salam2:

itna bara thread :eek:...aram se read karoo ga :)

jazakallah khair for sharing

hayakallah
:wasalam:

Ibn Uthaymin

Jazakallahu Khayran. Some Hanafi people refuse to pray behind the Imam becuase he prays witr differnet from them. Sad.

ShyHijabi

Once during Ramadaan I prayed behind a brother who followed the Shafi'i mahtab. I had familiarized myself with that method in case I ever found myself in that situation and wanted to avoid causing confusion by standing at the incorrect time. I had read numerous fatwas stating that you are to follow the person leading the prayer even if the fiqh differed on the timing of the raqats. (so as to avoid unnecessary confusion)

There was a sister sitting next to me who followed the hanifi mahtab like myself and when I saw her go to automatically stand I gently pressed my hand on hers. She immediately stayed put and followed the lead of the brother. Afterward she looked at me confused and I explained the difference in the interpretation of fiqh and we had a good laugh at our momentary confusion.

But what touched me that night was there was no fitnah or controversy. We were simply Muslims trying to pray the best salat possible during this holy month and not getting caught up in jurisprudence.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
And one of my friend who claims he is Salafi refuses to pray behind Hanafis its strange really.

As-salaamu `alaykum

Was this due to being them being Hanafi or rather Deobandi, Barailwi in `aqeedah or something else? There is a difference between not praying behind someone due to their madh'hab and not praying them due to their `aqeedah. The first is foolish and the second can too be foolish or even an innovation, yet in some cases - obligatory!

A good, needed article maa shaa' Allaah.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Is this due to being them being Hanafi or rather Deobandi, Barailwi in `aqeedah or something else?

I was about to post the same. Imam Abu Haneefa rahimullah would never approve of the beliefs held by these mentioned groups, even though they identify themselves as being part of 'ihnaaf'.

Also, I think Barelwiyyah are considered to be out of fold of Islam as they openly worship/pray towards graves etc. I have read a ruling somewhere. Wouldn't that make the prayer behind them invalid anyway ?

I am not sure about the ruling concerning praying behind the Deobandis. If someone has a ruling, please share InshaAllah..

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

ansari

STRANGER...
As-salaamu `alaykum

Is this due to being them being Hanafi or rather Deobandi, Barailwi in `aqeedah or something else?

Hanafi(deobandi) witr prayer,

3 rakah with 2 tashahud, in 3rd rakah after reading Al-fatihah and other surah. they say :allahuakbar: raise their hands and clasp again then read dua qunoot.
many people from sub-continent pray witr like this.

I asked my Shiekh. He said in Authentic narration its like you pray 3 rakah with only one tashahud and raise your hand for Dua Qunoot after rukho
or pray 3 rakah. first pray 2 then 1.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu alaikum,

I thought the thread started with the view of respecting our differences not bringing them forth. :SMILY149:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I don't think it is befitting to discuss those rulings here, it defeats the objectives of this thread. But like I said, not praying behind someone can be done for silly reasons to the extent that the abandoner becomes an innovator (according to Ibn Taymiyyah), at times it is in fact obligatory to not pray behind someone.

I believe regarding one of the rites of Hajj, the Khaleefah `Uthmaan (radiy Allaahu `anhu) differed with Ibn Mas`ood (radiy Allaahu `anhu) pertaining whether to pray two or four rak`aats. Ibn Ma`ood, despite his differing following the Imam, `Uthmaan. When asked after Salaah as to why he differed but than followed, he said "Differing is evil".

More recently, and this is of benefit since you mentioned a Salafi who abandoned prayer behind someone, Al-Albaani viewed the Hanbali view of placing ones hands on the chest after rukoo` an innovation. Yet, it has been reported that when he prayed behind Ibn Baaz, he adopted the act of placing the hands back on the chest after rukoo` on the very same grounds... Differing is evil.

P.S. I haven't completed my reading of this article yet...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Allah subhana talla created us with different attributes so we can all testify to His Greatness. We too are varied in temperment, height, weight, color, etc.
If we step back and accept life..we would not waste time in insipid arguments that yield nothing.

Peaceful661

The beauty of Islam is even if the imam is of different fiqh still you pray behind him showing that muslims are one despite their differences.

Ibn Uthaymin

And one of my friend who claims he is Salafi refuses to pray behind Hanafis its strange really.

Ignorance maybe?

Some people have the perception that all the Hanafees are Matureedi in Aqeedah - they`re not! The Deobandis are Matureedi, not all Hanafees.
I think one of the Afghan scholars wrote something about it, i gotta go find it.

Whats saddening is not praying behind someone who follows a different school of thought. One sister even mentioned that if she were to marry a Hanafee man she would change her Mathhab so as not to cause confusion!

Fanatics.

On the bright side, here in some parts of UK we have Shaykhs who come from other countries to lead Taraweeh,and they pray witr differently and raise their hands and the Hanafee people are fine with it. (most of them)

So, im a little optimistic.

I was about to post the same. Imam Abu Haneefa rahimullah would never approve of the beliefs held by these mentioned groups, even though they identify themselves as being part of 'ihnaaf'.

Spot on. Abu Izz al Hanafee cleared that out in his Sharh of Aqeedah Tahawiyya. Naturally, the members of those groups are in denial. Expect a few ugly dog whistles.

island muslim

Salaam Alaiykum,

Mashaallah a much needed thread!! Especially to some who think everyone else is wrong and even the 4 madhabs are wrong and insist on calling themselves salafi rather than muslim just because a human being no greater than the imaams said so.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
Ignorance maybe?

Some people have the perception that all the Hanafees are Matureedi in Aqeedah - they`re not! The Deobandis are Matureedi, not all Hanafees.
I think one of the Afghan scholars wrote something about it, i gotta go find it.

Whats saddening is not praying behind someone who follows a different school of thought. One sister even mentioned that if she were to marry a Hanafee man she would change her Mathhab so as not to cause confusion!

Fanatics.

you are right brother, i am almost hanafi (almost means : i have been raised to follow hanafi madhab but after doing some research , i found that following a madhab is not compulsory but following the qura'an and sunnah is important. so i change many of my habits that i thought were correct but still i am 80 % hanafi ). even if i followed hanafi madhab i was not Matureedi in aqeedah, i always had the aqeedah that salafi's have. i took the literal meaning of qura'an always. and i dont hesitate to pray behind any one whatever mdahab . i even have been praying all of my life behind barelvis as there was no other masjid, the only exception being shia'as.

i believe that aqeedah matters the most ,for me difference of madhab is not a big deal, i believe whoever follows whatever madhab is on right path until his aqeedah is correct.

here where i live some guys from different madhabs always try to impose their rulings on us (hanafis), and i always say to them , let us pray our way and we dont force you so you should not force us, but they dont understand this.

shaikh Asim Al Hakim gave a beautiful fatwa about this issue and i like shaykh's approach and if all of us follow that approach their wont be any such differences.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Ignorance maybe?

Fanatics.

On the bright side, here in some parts of UK we have Shaykhs who come from other countries to lead Taraweeh,and they pray witr differently and raise their hands and the Hanafee people are fine with it. (most of them)

So, im a little optimistic.

Spot on. Abu Izz al Hanafee cleared that out in his Sharh of Aqeedah Tahawiyya. Naturally, the members of those groups are in denial. Expect a few ugly dog whistles.

Was it Shiekh Abdullah Azzam?

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Salaam Alaiykum,

Mashaallah a much needed thread!! Especially to some who think everyone else is wrong and even the 4 madhabs are wrong and insist on calling themselves salafi rather than muslim just because a human being no greater than the imaams said so.

Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

I agree with your opinion and feelings dear brother mashallah. It is very sad to hear that Muslims have seperate themselves so much that even beside of existence of 4 madhabs which all Ullema has agreed to be truthfull Schools of Islaam,athough they have some litlle diffrences, we have some Muslims who are calling upon new seperation, or new madhaab.

Like for example some Muslims say " I am Salafi" like it is some new madhab in Islaam, or even more is that they should say only " I am Muslim who folow Quran and Sunnah and first salaf generations of Muslims".Are not all 4 Schools in Islaam foowing first ( salaf) generations of Muslims??? Alhamdulillah, they do, but offcourse with some small mistakes or diffrences which can exist in every School of Islaam.

And also I do not agree that someone should say for himselfe " I am Hanafi", insted that he say I am Muslim who folow Quran and Sunnah and first generation of Muslims. Because Muslims should not folow and take only one Schoolar of Islaam and his intrepreation of Islaam, but Muslims should folow Quran and take Sunnah as thier gudiance trough life,and take practice in Islam of first Salaf generations of Islaam.

SubhanAlah, I have came a cross accidently on one Islamic forum, and there red thoughts and replies of brothers who call themselves " salafis", while they should call themselves " Muslims who folow Quran, Sunnah and first generation of Muslims, and beside that they support suicide bombing and claimining it is part of Islaam Astagfirullah.

Our beloved Prophet Mohammed sallahu alyha wa salam said: I leave you two things, which if you folow, you will never go astray, Allahs Book ( Quran) and my Sunnah).And Allah and His messanger sallahu alayha wa salaam knows the best.

Alhamdulillah , I am not hanafi, neither Salafi, but I am Muslim only who try to folow Quran, Sunnah of my Prophet sallahu alayha wa salam, and first Salaf and best generations of Muslims.

May Allah guide us all

Status
Not open for further replies.