General questions

Steve940

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I have a couple of questions that I have been meaning to ask, but have not found the time. These questions may be general knowledge, but I am a revert, and I am trying to find knowledge that will help me.

Firstly, I have an MP3 player with Qu'ran audio files, and I want to know if it is permissable to carry it even if I have broken wudu, or if it is the same ruling as carrying the text form of the Qu'ran.

I know it is haram to mention the name of Allah in the restroom, but what about when saying Bismillah to start wudu? I am not sure about this.

I a few more but I am in a hurry, Insha'Allah I will return here and ask the remain questions.
:salam2:

proud2bemuslim

ALLAH HU AKBAR
:salam2: Steve,

First Question:

I also have the Qur'an and some Islamic lectures on my iPod. As far as I know there is no harm in listening to them without wudû’.

Second Question Answer:

Answered by Sheikh Sâmî al-Mâjid

The supplication to enter toilets should be read before entering, not after. It is disliked to mention Allah’s name in toilets or bathrooms due to the respect that should be given to Allah’s name.

Ablution should be performed outside of bathrooms. It is permissible to do so inside in case it is otherwise difficult. Mentioning Allah’s name before performing wûdû’ in the bathroom should be pronounced in secret – since some scholars are of the opinion that mentioning Allah’s name is obligatory unless the worshipper unintentionally forgets to do so.

The supplication to be made after relieving oneself and the one to be offered upon the completing of wûdû’ should both be recited after leaving the bathroom.

umm ayub

www.islamqa.com

Walaikum asalaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh,

May Allah Reward u for asking such a beneficial question which pops into everyones heads from time to time...Alhamdulilah..

ok. heres a list of links/rulings from an authentic website : www.islamqa.com

1) The Ruling on Touching the Quran when wudhu is broken:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=10672&ln=eng

2) The Ruling on holding the mp3 with Quran on it when wudhu is broken:

In the link above it clearly states that it the majority of scholars agree that the Quran cannot be touched without wudu, and this is specifically referring to a copy of the Quran aka Mushaf which contain the Words of Allah written in it.

Where as an mp3 player does not store written words but audio and thus is different and hence it is ok to hold the mp3 player without wudhu as it is NOT a Mushaf(copy of the Quran in the Written form) and it is ok to recite from memory and listen to Quran without wudu, Alhamdulilah Islam is sooo easy!

Sorry if it didnt make sense, maybe someone else can maybe explain better inshaAllah.

3) Is it permissible to remember Allaah (dhikr) in the bathroom

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=20620&ln=eng

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

Is it permissible to remember Allaah (dhikr) in the bathroom?

He replied:

A person should not remember his Lord inside the bathroom, because this place is not appropriate for that. If he remembers Him in his heart there is nothing wrong with that, but he should not utter the words out loud. It is better not to speak the words out loud in this place, and to wait until he has come out of it.

With regard to places for doing wudoo’ that are outside the toilets where one relieves oneself, there is nothing wrong with remembering Allaah there.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 11/109.

4) Taking cell-phones on which Qur’aan has been recorded into the washroom
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=21792&ln=eng

It is not haraam to take these cell phones into washrooms because they do not come under the same rulings as the Mus-haf (printed copy of the Qur’aan), even after Qur’aan has been recorded in them, because it is sound which is hidden inside it, it is not writing that is visible. And Allaah knows best.

JazakAllahkhair

wasalaamu alaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

Steve940

JazakAllah khair proud2bemuslim. I have only one more question that I would like to ask, and that is, when performing wudu, are we allowed to speak?

Wa salam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
JazakAllah khair proud2bemuslim. I have only one more question that I would like to ask, and that is, when performing wudu, are we allowed to speak?

Wa salam

AssalaamuAlaikum,

One has to be quite when performing wudu, or he can recite different Duas (supplications) which can be recited for wudu. A Muslim can talk during wudu if it is very necessary. Useless talking is prohibited.

Please note that it is not as compulsory to stay quite in wudu as it is in Salah. Talking something nonrelated in the salah will break your salah but talking in wudu will not break wudu but will reduce your reward if the talk is useless.

Wasslaam,
VE

blue

I have a related question. Is it permissible to carry an iphone, in which the quran (written and audio) is stored, to the washroom?

Jazakh'Allah khairun

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I once saw a really funny video that would answer your question. Basically, one person asked a Sheikh, "Can I carry my phone, which contains the Quran, to the bathroom?" And the Sheikh said Yes. Then the person again insisted and said "But Sheikh! It is the Quran. How can I take it in the bathroom?"

So the Sheikh asks "Do you have any of the Quran memorized?"
Person: "Yes, alhamdulillah, I do know quite a few surahs and verses."
Sheikh: "So next time you go to the bathroom, leave your brain outside the door."

Hope your question was answered.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Sister Tabassum, that is absolutely hilarious..

A brother blue, just make sure that you have the Quran application closed when you enter the washroom. It shouldn't be on the display or as a ringtone (if someone calls you, the Quran shouldn't play inside the restroom).

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I think that it's OK to have Quran as ring tone, but to be on the safe side, one should turn off the phone or put it in vibrate mode while in the rest room.

The scholars actually say that it we shouldn't for 2 good reasons (there can be more that I am not aware of)..

1) When the phone rings, we pick up the call asap. We would hear to a portion of the ayat and cut off the rest (while taking the call). Rather the opposite is recommended when listening to quranic verses, ie to pay attention and ponder upon its meanings.

2) Over the time, the person gets accustomed to his/her ringtone and doesn't realize the sanctity of these verses. It is habitual for him to grab his phone upon hearing it, rather than pay attention to it and ponder on it's meaning. The verses of the Quran are meant to guide mankind and is a cure for the hearts, therefore it shouldn't be used to be hung as decoration pieces or used as a ringtone/alarm tone.

And the one I mentioned earlier, if the phone rings in the restroom or other unclean places then it is a problem as well.

And Allah knows best.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Ahh yes, he is a Shaykh who makes me laugh... I love how he drew an analogy between memory and flash memory. Isn't he the same Shaykh who made du`aa for the sister who wanted to marry Shaykh Al-`Arifi, that she marries Shaykh Sadlaan, because she claimed it was knowledge and not looks she was after lol

EDIT: Yes he was, looking at the thread link.