question

iloveislam78

salam all....

Why does islam permit marriage for girls before they have began their menses?? How can a young girl who is Not fully developed emotionally physically psychologically make a such a descion of enormity?
Doesn't this completely contradict Islamic ideologies of a harmonious and co-operative marriage as their only so much co-operation you can have with a minor? Why is there any ruling in place to protect young girls from perverts and from the irresponsible hands of some parents.

would be grateful for some feedback everyone.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
On acting; and the ruling on marrying young girls

Praise be to Allaah.

Marrying a young girl before she reaches the age of adolescence is permitted in sharee’ah; indeed it was narrated that there was scholarly consensus on this point.

(a) Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the ‘Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubt (about their periods), is three months; and for those who have no courses [(i.e. they are still immature) their ‘Iddah (prescribed period) is three months likewise”

[al-Talaaq 65:4]

In this verse we see that Allaah has made the ‘iddah in the case of divorce of a girl who does not have periods – because she is young and has not yet reached puberty – three months. This clearly indicates that Allaah has made this a valid marriage.

(b) It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married her when she was six years old, he consummated the marriage with her when she was nine and she stayed with him for nine years.

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4840; Muslim, 1422)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married ‘Aa’ishah when she was six years old and consummated the marriage when she was nine.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim; Muslim says ‘seven years’)

The fact that it is permissible to marry a young girl does not mean that it is permissible to have intercourse with her; rather that should not be done until she is able for it. For that reason the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) delayed the consummation of his marriage to ‘Aa’ishah. Al-Nawawi said: With regard to the wedding-party of a young married girl at the time of consummating the marriage, if the husband and the guardian of the girl agree upon something that will not cause harm to the young girl, then that may be done. If they disagree, then Ahmad and Abu ‘Ubayd say that one a girl reaches the age of nine then the marriage may be consummated even without her consent, but that does not apply in the case of who is younger. Maalik, al-Shaafa’i and Abu Haneefah said: the marriage may be consummated when the girl is able for intercourse, which varies from one girl to another, so no age limit can be set. This is the correct view. There is nothing in the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah to set an age limit, or to forbid that in the case of a girl who is able for it before the age of nine, or to allow it in the case of a girl who is not able for it and has reached the age of nine. Al-Dawoodi said: ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) was reached physical maturity (at the time when her marriage was consummated).

Sharh Muslim, 9/206

It is preferable for a guardian not to marry off his daughter when she is still young unless there is a valid reason for that.

Al-Nawawi said:

It should be noted that al-Shaafa’i and his companions said: It is preferable for fathers and grandfathers not to marry off a virgin until she reaches the age of puberty and they ask her permission, lest she end up in a marriage that she dislikes. What they said does not go against the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah, because what they meant is that they should not marry her off before she reaches puberty if there is no obvious interest to be served that they fear will be missed out on if they delay it, as in the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah. In that case it is preferable to go ahead with the marriage because the father is enjoined to take care of his child’s interests and not to let a good opportunity slip away.

And Allaah knows best.

Sharh Muslim, 9/206.

Islam Q&A

However, that doesn't mean you should marry a girl off before she's ready.

iloveislam78

Thanks sis

I think i was hormonal when i wrote this lol but you've cleared up my questions thanks for your patience jazakallah *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
It is known that `Aa'isha, may God have been pleased with her, was ten years younger than her sister Asmaa' and that Asmaa' was 27 years old when she was helping her father and the Prophet (PBUH) in their migration to Medina. That makes `Aa'isha 17 years old at Hijra. We also know that the Prophet (PBUH) married her at the year 2 A.H. which makes her 19 years old at her wedding.

:salam2:

The argument you present is used by muslim apologist who are somehow uncomfortable to present to the non-muslims that our mother RadiAllahu Anha was nine years old at time of marriage being consummated.

Or perhaps it makes them uncomfortable as it is termed as 'child marriage' in the modern times which comes with negative connotations. We need to realise that our times are considerably different with terms of societal life with the life of the Arabs 1400 years ago. Marriages at young age was the norm rather than an anomaly. Children would mature at a faster rate than children of today and would be taking care of their entire family at an age where kids nowadays are still running around carefree busy in fun and games.

I don't quite follow how a narration from Bukhari and Muslim can be a 'misconception' and not a 'fact'. Anyhow..

There is a good thread on this topic.. Will dig it out if time permits later..

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi