sighting of the moon

islamdonlyway

:salam2: brothers and sisters, hope evryones good.

this is a hotly debated topic down in the uk were i live at the moment.most people follow saudi for the moon sighting regarding eid and start of ramadan.but there is this small minority who claim we should look for the moon in the country we live in, therefore uk.please provide me with proof that we should be following saudi etc...so i can show him.this is causeing some disuntiy, and inshallah i can show my mate that we shouldnt be lookin for the moon in uk..any good hadiths,quranic verses or fatwaa from good scholers, please..

jazakallah for the help.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

As you said it's a hot topic. Brother, regardless of which is more correct, following Saudi or local sighting (in which case I favour local), the scholars say that based on the hadeeth "fast when the people fast...", one should go by the jamaa`ah and not his individual sighting. So even if the small minority are correct, which they very well may be, we should stick to the body of Muslims and celebrate `Eid when the people celebrate it.

In the UK, as far as I'm aware, only the Shi`a, Barailwis and Deobandis tend to celebrate on a different day. While they might be correct in their sighting, they're not exactly the Muslim jamaa`ah or even Ahl us-Sunnah!

Inshaa' Allaah I hope that within the years to come or by next `Eid the issue can be sorted.

saif

:salam2:

In Germany, Zentralrat der Muslime, which is the biggest organization of muslims living in Germany, has found the consensus to follow the calculation method. It is inline with the turkish community living in Germany. So I will follow the jamaa'a and celebrate Eid tomorrow. As always the arabic community in Germany will follow Saudi Arabia, which is sad indeed.

:wasal

D.Ahmed

Believer

In Germany, Zentralrat der Muslime, which is the biggest organization of muslims living in Germany, has found the consensus to follow the calculation method. It is inline with the turkish community living in Germany. So I will follow the jamaa'a and celebrate Eid tomorrow. As always the arabic community in Germany will follow Saudi Arabia, which is sad indeed.

So brother Saif you guys doing Eid tomorrow in Germany?? so you know any other country that is doing Eid tomorrow?? On Islam Channel in the UK they first announced that Eid is on Thursday then later they updated it and said it will be on Friday.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

This seems to be common problem in many non-muslim countries. In my country (Finland) too some muslims follow one and some others something else opinions and sources with this issue. So, I try to follow same than most of muslims in my city and so to me - Eid tomorrow.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

So brother Saif you guys doing Eid tomorrow in Germany?? so you know any other country that is doing Eid tomorrow?? On Islam Channel in the UK they first announced that Eid is on Thursday then later they updated it and said it will be on Friday.

Wa`alaykum us-salaam

Yeah I heard about their blunder...

saif

I don't know of other countries but a vast majority of muslims in Germany will celebrate Eid tomorrow. Like I said earlier, it is based upon the calculation method, agreed upon by european fatwa council.

What I said about the arabic community in my previous mail is not fully true. Zentralrat der Muslime also includes many arabic islamic centres, like the ones in Munich and Aachen. They have also announced that 9th of september will be the 1st of shawal. However, a vast majority of arabs either fast with Saudi arabia or with their home countries. Since neither Saudi arabia nor any other arab country is celebrating Eid tomorrow, I am afraid a vast majority of arabs will not celebrate, though they make up a minority of muslims here.

:wasalam:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

The moon has to be actually sighted. There can be difference of opinion over local or non local sightings. But calculation process has already been refuted by many known scholars.

I don't understand why Islamic organizations keep adopting this erroneous procedure. I would have felt very uncomfortable had my mosque followed a calculation method also. But Alhamdulillah we left following ISNA, when they stopped sighting the moon.

saif

The moon has to be actually sighted. There can be difference of opinion over local or non local sightings. But calculation process has already been refuted by many known scholars.

I don't understand why Islamic organizations keep adopting this erroneous procedure. I would have felt very uncomfortable had my mosque followed a calculation method also. But Alhamdulillah we left following ISNA, when they stopped sighting the moon.

Thank you for your information. I have seriously considered all opinions and found sharhu sSadr on calculation method.

Abdul25

Logical Believer

I don't know of other countries but a vast majority of muslims in Germany will celebrate Eid tomorrow. Like I said earlier, it is based upon the calculation method, agreed upon by european fatwa council.

What I said about the arabic community in my previous mail is not fully true. Zentralrat der Muslime also includes many arabic islamic centres, like the ones in Munich and Aachen. They have also announced that 9th of september will be the 1st of shawal. However, a vast majority of arabs either fast with Saudi arabia or with their home countries. Since neither Saudi arabia nor any other arab country is celebrating Eid tomorrow, I am afraid a vast majority of arabs will not celebrate, though they make up a minority of muslims here.

Yes brother. the Arabic community in my city is not celebrating tomorrow as all others are celebrating eid tomorrow. there are 4 mosques here and three belong to Turkish Muslims while one is administrated by Moroccan Muslims so except Moroccan mosque all others are celebrating tomorrow The Eid. i will follow the majority of Muslims inshAllah. Eid mubarak to all :)

Abu Ameerah

According to Ikrimah, Al-Qasim Bin Mohammad, Salim, Ishaq, the correct opinion among the Hanafi jurists, and the chosen opinion among the Shaf'iyyah, every "Country" (or territory) is to take into consideration its own sighting and not necessarily to follow the sighting of others. This is based on what "KURAIB" said: While I was in Ash-sham, the new moon of Ramadan appeared on Thursday night. I returned to Madinah at the end of the month. There, Ibn Abbas asked me: 'When did you people see the new moon?' I said: 'We saw it on Thursday night.' He said: 'Did you see it yourself?' I said: 'Yes, the people saw it, and they and Mu'awiyah fasted.' He said: But we saw it on Friday night. We will not stop fasting until we complete 30 days or until we see the new moon.' I said: 'Isn't Mu'awiyah's sighting and fasting sufficient for you? He said: 'No... This is the order of the Messenger of Allah.' "This is related by Ahmad, Muslim, and At-Tirmizi.

About the Hadith, At-Tirmizi says: "it is Hasan Sahih gharib. Scholars act in accordance with the hadith. Every land has its sighting." In Fath Al-'Alam Sharh Bulugh Al-Maram, it is stated: The (opinion) closes (to the truth) is that each land follows its sighting, as well as the areas that are connected to it. "taken from Fiqh Us-sunnah by As-sayyid Sabiq.

Allah knows best what is the correct opinion. May Allah accept all our FASTING, QIYAM AND PRAYERS, most especially "LAYLATUL QADR" regardless of when we celebrate EID (THURSDAY OR FRIDAY). Saudi Arabia will be celebrating Eid on FRIDAY...

islamdonlyway

brother saif....down in the uk its confirmed that eid will be on friday..been confirmed by the major mosjids (central mosque,east london mosque etc)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I'm so confused. Our mosque decided a week ago when the Eid prayers would be, so we just follow them. But I did try and sight the moon. Couldn't see anything as it was cloudy. Have another fast tomorrow, alhamdulillah. And will have eid on Friday, inshallah.

Anyone in USA celebrating Eid on Thursday??

dna1987

Muslim Guy

Some of the 12th century Muslim astronomers, that we praise so often, figured out how to scientifically calculate the location of the sun and the moon, and therefore at what time we should do our prayers.

Don't we calculate prayer times every single day? I'm sure the timetables posted online are done through calculation.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Please read below :-

Sighting the moon not following astronomical calculations
There is a big dispute among Muslim scholars concerning the timing of the beginning of Ramadaan and ‘Eid al-Fitr. Some of them act upon the sighting of the new moon, because of the hadeeth, “Fast when you sight it [the new moon] and stop fasting when you sight it…”; others rely on the calculations of astronomers, saying that these scientists have progressed so far in the science of astronomy that they are able to know when the lunar month begins. Who is right in this matter?

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: the correct opinion which must be acted upon is that indicated by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Fast when you see it [the new moon] and stop fasting when you see it, and if it is cloudy then complete the month with thirty days.” That is the basis for determining the beginning and end of Ramadaan by the actual sighting of the new moon. The Islamic sharee’ah with which Allaah sent our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is universal and everlasting, until the Day of Resurrection. (It is valid for every time and place, whether worldly sciences are advanced or otherwise, whether there are telescopes etc. or not, whether there are any people in the population who are able to do astronomical calculations or not. Sighting the moon is something that people of all places and times can do, unlike calculations which may or may not be within the reach of the people, and telescopes which may or may not be available)

Secondly: Allaah knew what progress would be made in astronomy and other sciences, but despite that He still said (interpretation of the meaning): “… So whoever among you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadaan), he must observe sawm (fast) that month…” [al-Baqarah 2:185] and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fast when you see it [the new moon] and stop fasting when you see it…” So the beginning and ending of Ramadaan are connected to the actual sighting of the moon, and not to the calculations of astronomers, even though Allaah knew that the astronomers would develop their science to the point where they would be able to calculate the positions of the stars and heavenly bodies. The Muslims are obliged to follow what Allaah has prescribed for them through His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), basing the beginning and end of the fast on the sighting of the moon. This is like the consensus of the scholars, whoever differs with this and relies on calculations is shaadhdh (“odd”) and his opinion cannot be relied on. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/106

Link :http://islamqa.com/en/ref/1226

the arab community follow the general consensus by scholars. As you know very rare to find a scholar in the west.

Saudi Arabia, is not followed, it is just because there are more scholars per square inch of land in mecca and madina. Of course there are other countries, but most respectively follow a general consensus.

the days of political games of the sighting of the moon, is coming to an end in sha Allah.

The shia here went scientific and they were telling us the eid would be on thursday, a week ago. but when it was declared Friday, they all remained silent. I think they will celebrate it thursday.

in any event, happy eid,

if the masjid where you prayed declared it, it would be best to respect that and the error if there is any will be on the sheiks who called it and not on the layman in sha Allah.