Signs indicating a slave's love of Allaah:

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ​

Love of Allah
Author: Salih al Munajjid

Ñ Persevering through hardships. Endurance is a necessary characteristic of the one
who loves Allaah; it is the means to distinguish true and sincere love from false claims,
because one who endures and perseveres though hardships for the sake of his beloved
will thereby prove his truthfulness and sincerity. Many people despair and become
discontent whenever they are tested by Allaah and afflicted with hardship, which
reflects the falsity of their claim to love Allaah. Allaah commands the most beloved to
Him to endure and persevere when He says:

واصبر وما صبرك إلا بالله ولا تحزن عليهم ولا تك في ضيق مما يمكرون​
which means: “And be patient, [O Muhammad], and your patience is not but through
Allaah. And do not grieve over them and do not be in distress over what they
conspire.” [An-Nahl: 127]

Ñ Not favouring anything that is dear to one over one's beloved, as the Prophet
sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “None of you will be a true believer until I am more
beloved to him than all others.” ‘Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, heard this and
replied: “O Messenger of Allaah! You are dearer to me than everyone except myself.”
The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “No! (you will not truly believe) until I
am more beloved to you than your own self.” So he, may Allaah be pleased with him,
said: “Now you are more beloved to me than myself.” Upon hearing this, the Prophet
sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “Now O ‘Umar! (i.e., now you have achieved true
belief).” One should not give preference to anyone or anything over Allaah or His
messenger, be it his parents, children or desires. The one who favours anything or
anyone over Allaah is sick-hearted while the one who favours Allaah over everything
else has fought his desires and will be consistent in worship. Therefore, if one sins, that
does not necessarily mean that he does not love Allaah, but it does mean that his love
is not perfect, because he who has no love for Allaah at all in his heart is a disbeliever,
as in the narration in the book of Imaam Al-Bukhaari, may Allaah have mercy upon
him, where An-Nu’aymaan, may Allaah be pleased with him, was brought to the
Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam drunk, so he sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam
applied the legal punishment for consuming intoxicants on him; while this was
happening, a man in the gathering cursed him, to which the Prophet sallallaahu
‘alayhi wa sallam replied: “Do not curse him, for he loves Allaah and His Messenger.”
This means that love was present in his heart, but it had decreased due him sinning.
Also, it is known that penal laws expiate sins.

Ñ Desiring to mention Allaah, whereby the persons tongue never tires from His
mention, nor does his heart ever feel burdened by it. One who loves Allaah desires to
worship Him and mention His name. Allaah Has commanded us to mention Him, even
in the most terrifying and dangerous situations,

when He says:
يا أيها الذين آمنوا إذا لقيتم فئة فاثبتوا واذكروا الله كثيراً​
which means: “O you who have believed! When you encounter a company [from the
enemy forces], stand firm and remember Allaah much…” [Al-Anfaal: 45]

Another
proof of a person's love of Allaah is when he mentions His name as soon as he wakes
up and just before going to sleep – and this reflects the importance of maintaining and
memorising these particular supplications.

Ñ Crying when remembering Allaah in isolation. Allaah says:
إنما المؤمنون الذين إذا ذكر الله وجلت قلوبهم وإذا تليت عليهم آياته زادتهم إيماناً وعلى ربهم يتوكلون​
which means: “The believers are only those who, when Allaah is mentioned, their
hearts become fearful, and when His verses are recited to them, it increases them in
faith; and upon their Lord they rely.” [Al-Anfaal: 2]